July 31, 2009 - Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathalmc

Refugee
I hadn't planned on going to this concert but I was offered a 800 Swedish krona ticket for 200 krona (about €20) by a tout just before the concert began but I managed to get it for 100 krona in the end!

It was a chilly n windy day in Gothenburg, and even more so after the sun had gone down.

U2 came onstage about 9:30pm. The Swedish U2 fan club had organised a white flag flash mob for the first song. It's a rough guesstimate but I think about maybe 40% of the people did it. It actually looked much better once Bono (white) cottoned onto it and took one to wave himself (during the part of Breathe where he does a little spin to bask in the 360ness), which made the audience do it a bit more enthusiastically.

There were no set list surprises except for a snippet of She's A Mystery To Me at the end of One, and the main set finished with Streets and not Bad (as the other two concerts did when One was brought forward).

Some random observations

• UTEOTW was great, the start and end of it are superb, especially how the lights combine with the chaotic music to create some disorientation

• I've really come to love the much chunkier bass filth being produced by Adam and Larry from the subwoofers under the stage, I don't remember previous U2 tours being so relentlessly bass heavy (Mysterious Ways being a great example of this)

• the video screen didn't come down or open up for the still mesmerising TUF and CoBL as it did in other gigs; I dunno if it was intentional or a malfunction or not but Bono took a glance up at it when he was on the walkway during CoBL, and it could have been a "wait a minute, isn't that thing supposed to be down here?" look

• the audience were relatively quite muted where I was, not really getting going too much; the GA crowd was occasionally quite spectatory too a few rows beyond the outer rail

• but it was a blustery, chilly evening; Larry reappeared before Streets wearing a jumper

• Bono complimented the Swedes and other Scandinavian countries about their lead in being so generous with aid to Africa; he also thanked them for making it the fastest selling concert in 41 something or other, I thought he said years but it may have been shows

• The light show! The light show! The light show! Worth the entrance money alone.
I don't have a ticket for tomorrow's show either, but I'll take it in with the people having a picnic outside unless I can score another cheap ticket. Must wear a few more layers though ...

Great you managed to get a cheap ticket and got into the show :up:

Wonder why the screen didn't extend. Someone said it was because of the heavy wind. I wonder if it may have had something to do with the delay of the tour equipment. Maybe something was missing or they didn't have time to try it out before the show and decided it was too dangerous to do it?!

I hope concert goers tonight will have the awsome experience of seeing the screen extending again.

Back
Top Bottom