July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's wet. That is all.
I don't think there will need to be any other reports from here, so let's close this thread. Nothing more to see here.

:wink:

:lol:

Most uplifting thing I've ever experienced -- after an absolute disaster of a day weather-wise before the show (as kramwest alluded to). Mud and water everywhere, followed by sun, capped off by a starlit night...and yeah, a pretty great concert. ;) Somehow, it all fit perfectly, with the day's range of conditions mirroring U2's performance... I almost want to frame my mud-splashed jeans as proof that I was really there.

Unfortunately (and sadly!) I didn't meet up with any Interferencers -- but I did meet some great new friends, including three intensely passionate fans from Iceland who flew all the way to see the final show and huddle down with the rest of us in GA.

Locally-flavoured snippets, extended drum solos...an incredibly moving and spontaneous version of Stay (after it first appeared that Bono had suffered a complete brain freeze), and then that ending with Larry and 40. All amazingly special.

More to come later! After I get my bearings...and locate some coffee.

Incredible show! Very emotional, so much energy. Sorry I couldn't stick around for the gathering afterwards, had three other people that just wanted to get slogging. Even our non-U2 fan along for Arcade Fire enjoyed the show. Love how Bono said several times that he felt like he was home in Moncton/NB. That means a lot.

The view from the back grandstand was spectacular and the sound was great as well. The band all took turns coming to the back and they were there quite often. So much energy!

I'll have some pictures and video up in a bit. We didn't get in til 5:30am this morning, sore, tired and muddy but completely satisfied:rockon:

Thank you, U2 for coming here and rocking all of our respective worlds!

Epic show! Carney was terrific. I finally "get" Arcade Fire (you have to see them live and up close), and U2 made a heartfelt ending to their awesome tour.

Some surprises included the fighter jets buzzing the Claw, Bono's tearjerking snippet of Springhill Mining Disaster, champagne, Out of Control and 40 to end the tour. Oh, and we love Larry saying goodbye!

We weren't happy about slogging through the mud and also having to wait for hours to get a bus out of the area. We arrived home finally at 7:30 and just got up at 3:30 (3:33)?

Walking to Grandstand 5 in the muck :)

DSC02600.jpg

Our view of the claw, no zoom needed

DSC02602.jpg

Win Butler of Arcade Fire laughing behind the stage

DSC02619.jpg

Carney

DSC02620.jpg

Sea of people in GA

DSC02623.jpg

Wow this concert was so amazing Arcade Fire and Carney blew me away with there performances, It seemed to have overwhelmed Bono to the point of a near break down and it really added to the show! No bad but the show did justice without it and I did not mind. Fighter Jets (Holy Bleep) that was great.

Those photos are awesome. I think I was about 10 feet from the guy. He had a wicked looking SLR camera (snuck in??)

Thank you, U2 for coming here and rocking all of our respective worlds!

:up:

Before the show, two CF18 fighter jets made two passes over the claw. My fiance took this video:

‪U2 360 Moncton - CF18 Jets soar overhead (720p HD).‬‏ - YouTube

I was so surprised when those flyovers happened! You could almost feel the reverberation from the jets...an amazing (and proudly Canadian!) moment.

Another great moment: the crowd cheering wildly for the sun when it finally made an appearance. Thought that was hilarious.

I'm making my way back home to Newfoundland, still thinking about last night...with a permanent smile etched on my face. I'll post some photos when I get back -- including a few from a completely random stop in Springhill earlier this afternoon. It's U2 Day there! I heard about it on the radio just before the town's highway exit came up. One of the events was the Unforgettable Fire Barbeque, which featured hotdogs, burgers, etc...all prepared at the local fire hall. Overwhelming community spirit! :rockon:

Back to the show for a second, one of the biggest non-musical highlights for me was when Adam strolled around the outer rail at one point. He looked directly at me, saw me smiling, and gave me a huge wink. Such a great feeling to connect with one of the members of your favourite band -- if only for a millisecond. :wink:

Carney was great, Reeve is very talented and emotive. The bassist camedown to the pit afterand hung out. Arcade Fire also got the crowd in a frenzy. I could even tolerate that Renees dancing for a brief moment.

Ill post a proper review when the feeling return to my legs.

Here's a recount of my experiences Saturday in Moncton at the final show of the tour, as told by photos and videos. The videos are taking a while to upload as my phone records in HD and they're huge.

We snuck up to the back road the day before the concert to snap a few photos. Unzoomed view from the Road.
5996811710_0b6f7284c6_z.jpg

The Mirrorball at the top is a nice touch.
5996813680_d919995c6c_z.jpg

Here's a view clear enough that you can see Larry Mullen Jr's Drum tech working on the stage. (so says RB)
5996260615_dd18d092c4_z.jpg

Concert Day came, we made it to Moncton from Saint John in the driving rain. We kept an eye on our smartphones for the weather radar and were hopeful that the weather would clear up by the time showtime hit. We hopped a bus to the Concert site, had lunch at the Magnetic Hill Theme Park resturant and by the time we were done, the rain had stopped.

The view from walking through the muck towards the Claw.
5996244075_2e63c59af9_z.jpg

We had seats in the rear Grandstand (#5), and didn't take the same entrance as the rest of the Crowd, instead walking through the VIP entrance. While I was buying a shirt, Neely swears she saw The Edge coming out of one of the RVs behind the stands in a cordoned off area.

Me and my Fiancee, Neely (RavenBlue) in front of the Claw.
5996249561_a75614043d_z.jpg

The view from our seats in the Rear Grandstand (Grandstand 5)
5996801840_c37677d1ec_z.jpg

Before the show, Win Butler of Arcade Fire chats it up with some of the crew.
5996250301_41d224a614_z.jpg

Later, Arcade Fire took the stage and opened their set with 'Ready to Start'.
‪Arcade Fire - Ready to Start (Live @ U2 360 Moncton)‬‏ - YouTube
I wasn't very impressed over the lady who wanted to walk in front of me while recording when there was no one sitting on the bench behind us, but jokes on her, she's now immortalized in a youtube video with a view of her ample chest as she tells me off. :p

I also got a clip of Arcade Fire playing 'Haiti'.
‪Arcade Fire - Haiti (Clip)(Live @ U2 360 Moncton)‬‏ - YouTube

I also got a full video of 'The Suburbs'.
‪Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Live @ U2 360 Moncton)‬‏ - YouTube

RavenBlue already posted my CF18 flyover video.
‪U2 360 Moncton - CF18 Jets soar overhead (720p HD)‬‏ - YouTube

Then U2 took the stage once the sun was down, and the Claw could dazzle with it's epic light show. (Already posted this above, but it's awesome). They came on with the usual Space Oddity and then opened with Even Better than the Real Thing and The Fly.
‪U2 360 Moncton - Opening - Even Better than the Real Thing - The Fly‬‏ - YouTube

Somewhere in that amorphous blob of light and smoke is The Edge tearing it up.
5996253923_8ca09486fa_z.jpg

On-screen animations during Mysterious Ways.
5996802388_accb7961e8_z.jpg

Bono walks away after singing to us fans in the Back.
5996802798_360633083d_z.jpg

Later I captured a bit of the Springhill Mining Disaster snippet, but Ravva has a better version as she was already recording ISHFWILF when it happened.
‪U2 360 Moncton - Springhill Mining Disaster (720p HD)‬‏ - YouTube

Sadly, my Phone battery finally gave out while recording this video, but I did manage to capture a good video of the Space Station Linkup. I would never stop recording Beautiful Day by choice.
‪U2 360 Moncton - Space Station Linkup (Intro to Beautiful Day)‬‏ - YouTube

Neely got more video and photos afterwards... The show was mind blowing. I didn't expect much of Carney, but was surprised they weren't half bad. Arcade Fire was amazing. The Jet Flyby was mind-blowing, then my mind got blown again once U2 took the stage and lit up the Claw.

The view from the Back was surprisingly great, U2 made a tremendous effort to cover all sides of the stage, even Larry Mullen's drumset turned around to the back on occasion.

The sound was good. I've heard some people say Bono's voice was strained, but I didn't notice anything other than what could be attributed to a 50+ year old singer choked up with finishing a 25 month long tour that made the record books. We were just happier than a pig in s**t that we got to hear such an amazing U2 show in the comfort of our own home province.

The show was great, the only downside was the drunk guy who was horsing around behind us. He bumped his butt into Neely's head, spat on my shoulder (and my new $40 U2 T-shirt) fell over on my friend Mike who came with us, and accientally Sat on me at one point.

It was sad and heartbreaking to see Bono hanging up the Laser Suit for the last time. Then as we got sad they Cheered us right back up with Out of Control. And followed that up with "40" as a closer.

The show ended around Midnight, after that it took about 3hrs to wade through the zombie-walk of people to the buses and back to our parking spot, and got home around 5:30am.

Today was a wasted day of doing nothing except being sore and voiceless, but absolutely worth it.

The fighter planes were a great indication of the awesomeness about to descend on Magnetic Hill! The look on the faces of Dallas, Phil and Stuart was absolutely priceless each time they flew over.

Loved the pre-show setlist theme of "final and googbye" songs. First one was The Final Countdown. :rockon:

Also Lenny's, It Ain't Over til it's Over; Ramones, I Wanna be Sedated...lots more.

Can't wait to watch these videos later tonight at my dad's place when I get off the ferry...thanks for posting!

Two days after the show, and my love for this band is still registering on the Richter Scale. :)

Also, important note on those awesome CF-18 jets: they have been used extensively in Canadian peacekeeping missions all over the world. Pretty fitting for U2, I'd say...

Back
Top Bottom