July 27, 2009 - Croke Park DUBLIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boldorak

The Fly
They promised us another greater concert, and they simply did it !!!

Tonight the concert was at least as good as saturday, with Stay (Faraway So close), New Year's Day and the famous but so rare "we'll shine like stars in the summer night/we'll shine like stars in the winter light/one heart, one hope, one love"

These concerts in Dublin gave me the U2 fever. U2 in paris was so different.

Being here and see U2 in Dublin is the real U2 experience, the atmosphere is different, the band is different.

I'm so proud to live here in Ireland !!

(Some pictures will follow)

Last edited:
I was second row in front of Bono and it was amazing.First off they rehearsed Drowning Man and Electrical Storm, so that was good enough for me when it comes to hearing although they didn't play them in the show. The pit was so tight I could barely move, but when the boys came they were awesome. Bono even pointed to me during Streets. Got lots of pics and will post tomorrow

No they didn't play Surrender!!!

They played New Years Day for the first time on this tour,
and they played a stripped down version of Stay, (just Edge & Bono)
Bad was also added to the setlist!!

other than that it was pretty much the same old same old setlist!!!!!

I was dissapointed by Saturday and Monday nights concert tbh,
I expected alot more from the band and from the claw also!!!!

They were alot better in Croke Park in 2005 on the Vertigo Tour! they played a much better setlist!!!! and the sound was alot louder!!!!!

if they had someone would have to peel me off the floor cuz i would of collapsed..:huh: probably haven't played that song since the early 80s. Someone should ask Axver..

No they didn't play Surrender!!!

They played New Years Day for the first time on this tour,
and they played a stripped down version of Stay, (just Edge & Bono)
Bad was also added to the setlist!!

other than that it was pretty much the same old same old setlist!!!!!

I was dissapointed by Saturday and Monday nights concert tbh,
I expected alot more from the band and from the claw also!!!!

They were alot better in Croke Park in 2005 on the Vertigo Tour! they played a much better setlist!!!! and the sound was alot louder!!!!!

So you were disappointed!!!!

That's unfortunate!!!!

Vertigo Tour 4 LYFE!!!!!!!

So you were disappointed!!!!

That's unfortunate!!!!

Vertigo Tour 4 LYFE!!!!!!!

Yeah I kinda was tbh, I expected more from the band, the setlist seemed a bit boring to me, they was a few special moments no doubt! but overall I though the setlist lacked a few up tempo songs!

I was looking back on the Vertigo tour setlist for Croke Park and the songs they played then were great!!! alotta uptempo rockers that really get the crowd going! I also think the sound was alot louder in 2005, it seemed a bit mellow in parts this time esp on the new tunes!

ah well just my opinion, I'm glad most ppl on here seemed to enjoy the gig, I did too I just expected more!!

Was that an acronym of a typo no spoken words?

Cool pics Boldorak!

I was about mid way on the pitch, General admission, Close to one of the claw legs.

Last time I could hear the gig miles away! this time I could barely hear it in Drumcondra, (5 mins from the stadium!)

where were you in the pit and what kind of camera did you use? thanks!

In the inner circle :)

I had two cameras :

A compact (for the moment I only posted two or three pics for the compact) and a DSLR with a 70-300 lens ;)

Not really discreet ... So I did not took as much pictures as I wanted to avoid problems ... ;)

In the inner circle :)

I had two cameras :

A compact (for the moment I only posted two or three pics for the compact) and a DSLR with a 70-300 lens ;)

Not really discreet ... So I did not took as much pictures as I wanted to avoid problems ... ;)

thanks. Can you be a little more specific about where in the circle you were? I like the vantage points you had and need advice... as far as the digital camera, what kind?

Was that an acronym of a typo no spoken words?

Cool pics Boldorak!

I was about mid way on the pitch, General admission, Close to one of the claw legs.

Last time I could hear the gig miles away! this time I could barely hear it in Drumcondra, (5 mins from the stadium!)

Lol, Hearing the concert from Drumcondra, that is a good way to measure the power of the speakers :)

For the inner circle it was enough. But I can imagine it was just "normal" for the pitch.

thanks. Can you be a little more specific about where in the circle you were? I like the vantage points you had and need advice... as far as the digital camera, what kind?

I was equal distance between the stage and the catwalk.

For the cameras :

The compact is a Canon Ixus 850. I setted up to have the best autofocus that I could (permanent Autofocus, not only the faces detection). But I have a lot of blurry pictures ...

For the DSLR it's a Pentax K10D + a Sigma lens 70-300mm (shorter will be ... less practical) This is "only" a 300€ lens so this apperture is not as good as an expensive one, but I'm happily surprised that I have good pictures (even if I also have blurry pictures...)

As you have to be discreet, I prefer use the green mode (fully automatic) to avoid to spend to much times shooting. I shoot (2 pics /second) and then I put the camera down to avoid problem with security.

It is only the first time I do concert pictures... so I am surely not the best adviser, but if I can help, dont hesitate to send me a PM :)

I was equal distance between the stage and the catwalk.

For the cameras :

The compact is a Canon Ixus 850. I setted up to have the best autofocus that I could (permanent Autofocus, not only the faces detection). But I have a lot of blurry pictures ...

For the DSLR it's a Pentax K10D + a Sigma lens 70-300mm (shorter will be ... less practical) This is "only" a 300€ lens so this apperture is not as good as an expensive one, but I'm happily surprised that I have good pictures (even if I also have blurry pictures...)

As you have to be discreet, I prefer use the green mode (fully automatic) to avoid to spend to much times shooting. I shoot (2 pics /second) and then I put the camera down to avoid problem with security.

It is only the first time I do concert pictures... so I am surely not the best adviser, but if I can help, dont hesitate to send me a PM :)

thanks!

ha, thats my husbands flag in the last shot.
bless him, he's still excited over it!

nice pics

I forgot to mention that when going in it was chaos. They let about the first 100 in and stopped the line. Most of the ticket scanners were not working and a lot of people got screwed. I was 98th in line and wound up 2nd row in front of Bono next to the girl who was 5th and camped out for 2 days. Going in it was no mad dash because of that and no one was running.

Really? I stayed at a b&b in Drumcondra and my b&b host said she could hear the concert really clearly. That's what she ended up doing, called a friend over, sat in their upper living room with the windows open listening to the concert with a few glasses of wine. Doesn't sound bad at all... they got to hear it for free!

Laura, I'm glad you got a better position this night! I sat on the 6th row in lower tier, but that confounded claw was right in front of me!!!!!!!!!! So I still couldn't see Larry at all during the whole concert except on the screen. Edge would sometimes disappear from my view as well. What a stupid, stupid, stupid set up it was! I paid 131 euros and I couldn't even see the full band on the stage!

The lighting on the claw is amazing to see though, especially after it got dark.

And for some reason, some people just can't stay on their seats long enough for the full concert!! I can understand going for a bathroom break, but when 10 people in our row decide to go at different times, it started getting to me. I still like the arena shows 10 times better than this one....

Alma, what section was your seat last night? I really lucked out on both nights. I never had one person get up a go to the restroom during the shows. First night it was just me and a guy in a row, the second night I was in a full row and near the end of it and no one got up to go to the bathroom or leave early and I did not have obstructed views at all. I guess I hit the jackpot.

Back
Top Bottom