July 25, 2009 - Croke Park DUBLIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Second night was soooooo much better for me than yesterday.

First the opening bands, two reals bands, with talent and songs : Republic of Loose and Kaiser Chiefs.

Second : Even if the night has been a bit rainy, the band seems to be in Dublin for this concert (like if yesterday was a rehearsal). The atmosphere was more intense, Bono cried I think, all the band was smiling, the crowd was a bit better today than yesterday, etc.

Between Paris I, Dublin I and Dublin II, Dublin II is the best for me.

I'm a bit tired so my post is short, but I'm speachless, on a little cloud :)

This was probably the best show I have ever been too.

Got there at 6am and was 91st in line. By the time the whole thing with getting your ticket scanned and getting down to the field, which was half way around the stadium, I wound up on the rail in the inner circle on Edge's side. Couldn't see Larry or Adam for most of the show because the stage is so high. Bono was as hyper as I have ever seen him. He said the 3 shows are going to get better every night. It started raining during Unknown Caller and Bono kept adding it in the song lyrics. Larry had an umbrella type thing come up to cover him and his drumkit and Bono said that his umbrella was cool.

Got a lot of pics tonight but I have only gotten 12 hours of sleep in the last 3 days and I'm drained from queuing 2 days in a row. I'll post them tomorrow on the off day.

Thank You Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry for the best birthday present!

This Second night was soooooo much better for me than yesterday.

First the opening bands, two reals bands, with talent and songs : Republic of Loose and Kaiser Chiefs.

Second : Even if the night has been a bit rainy, the band seems to be in Dublin for this concert (like if yesterday was a rehearsal). The atmosphere was more intense, Bono cried I think, all the band was smiling, the crowd was a bit better today than yesterday, etc.

Between Paris I, Dublin I and Dublin II, Dublin II is the best for me.

I'm a bit tired so my post is short, but I'm speachless, on a little cloud :)

i agree tonite's show was better IMO. The Kaiser Chefs kicked arse! They were awesome.

2 days of GA quequeing has killed my feet! I can't walk.. :sad:.

i am sleeping in and doing as little of walking tomorrow as i can... thank god for the off day.

^Me too. I'm so sore and tired.

Kaiser Chiefs was probably the best opening act they've had. There were awesome.

I missed most of Kaiser Chiefs because I was in line for the damn t-shirts. :angry: But what heard and did see they were awesome. :up: Tonight's show was great. I have tons of pics. I will upload them tomorrow evening when I get back home. I am sad that I am leaving tomorrow morning. I have had a great time here.

Tonight was my first and only GA on the tour. I met the lovely InfinityGirl on O'Connell Street beforehand, we joined the queue at Croker around 1pm and we made it into the pit. However we chose to go out to the outside rail in the centre of the walkway as the pit was a bit too packed. There was a small kerfuffle when the people who had been queueing overnight specifically to get a place on this rail arrived to find their spots taken, but it was sorted quickly and amicably, with the pit-deserters giving up their places on the rail. (Apparently security shouldn't have let us leave the pit at all.)

The sound down there was LOUD, very very LOUD. Lots of sub-bass from Larry's bass drum and marrow-wobbling bass from Adam's guitar. I think I finally understand how the people at the front and the band themselves hear everything a little bit before the rest of the stadium hear it from the speakers on the roof of the Claw - the speakers at the front would drown out a jumbo jet landing on the pitch never mind the delayed sound above.

The crowd at the front was almost entirely from overseas. The Irish tend to go into the gig either just before the gig starts, or (as I noticed last night) even a bit afterwards. There are drinks to finish off you know. But it was strange how all the crowd at the front went mad during the songs but all the cheers for Bono's little interludes about Dublin or Ireland came from the back and sides whilst those at the front stood almost completely silent. The homies were all a wee bit behind.

Highlights of the gig were NLOTH, Unknown Caller, and surprisingly for me, Vertigo - my word, Larry was fairly beating a few shades of shit out of his drums during it - as a (crappy) ex-drummer myself I loved seeing him in aggressive but measured full flow up close.

But the song of the concert is for me the song of the tour: Moment Of Surrender. It's like an intense but edifying confession blasted through an amplifier. Bono fell to his knees towards the end (his own moment of surrender to Croke Park and Dublin?), and it looked like he was offering up a silent prayer as the song continued. A beautiful, affecting moment.

I can't separate the two shows into which was better. Last night seemed much more local, much more of an Irish sing-a-long, much more showing off your new toys to your mates. But I was sitting amongst Dubs last night and they lapped up the many home-boy moments. Tonight for me was more showing off your tunes and your mates that play them - Bono put more references to the rest of the band in tonight whereas it was pure Dub talk last night.

I'm glad it rained - it's summer in Dublin after all :)

Hard to tell what show was better, got there at 11:30 again, got even closer (in the queue), people didn't arrive until much later today. Queue for the t-shirts was crazy...seriously...no soundcheck that I could hear, got in at about 4. Republic of Loose were the worst band I've ever seen live (poor Counting Crows have finally moved up on the list). Kaiser Chiefs were great excluding the new songs (Never Miss a Beat and History...), U2 were again incredible, changed 5 songs and changed the order. A little disappointed we didn't get Bad again but at least I saw it live. Unknown Caller was incredible and I loved hearing In a Little While too, really great show from the boys

Hard to tell what show was better, got there at 11:30 again, got even closer (in the queue), people didn't arrive until much later today. Queue for the t-shirts was crazy...seriously...no soundcheck that I could hear, got in at about 4. Republic of Loose were the worst band I've ever seen live (poor Counting Crows have finally moved up on the list). Kaiser Chiefs were great excluding the new songs (Never Miss a Beat and History...), U2 were again incredible, changed 5 songs and changed the order. A little disappointed we didn't get Bad again but at least I saw it live. Unknown Caller was incredible and I loved hearing In a Little While too, really great show from the boys

For me the second night was way better - simply stunning and the crowd was more up for it ! Typing this at Dublin Airport. Can't wait for Wembley Mike

Just got back, not going to Monday because I had to be reasonable with money and time away from work :(

I can't really say which show was the best, they were both equally amazing. I slightly prefered Friday's set-list, but I agree the energy, the crowd and the emotion last night were unbelievable.

On Friday I didn't line-up so I was at the back of the pitch and I was surprised how much I enjoyed even being further away. I must say the visuals/top mirrorball for Ultraviolet and WOWY probably make standing behind or having seats worth it in itself--so absolutely beautiful. Yesterday I was center outside rail, 2nd row. Mindblowing.

It's true that the front was packed with visitors while the back of the GA was full of Irish, and it made for a different atmosphere on both nights for me--but equally energetic, just at different moments!

These were my 2nd and 3rd show after Barcelona 1, and I must say after Barcelona I left slightly dissapointed and worried about this tour... But not anymore! This band is as great as ever.:up:

I have just had the time to stop by an Internet cafe to check in. Was in Friday's night show as well as Saturday's. I went to the GA line at 6.30am, met with lauramullen. That was my first GA experience, and we were able to get to the rail, Edge's side. A bit off center, but it still had a good view. However, we couldn't see Larry or Adam at all though. I think for my next GA I won't try to be in the first row again unless it's dead center.

Personally I think the second night was better than the first night, although I was exhausted by the time the encore came on, that I didn't have the energy to jump around anymore.

Second show was better because of all the snippets that Bono did, and of course by the fact that Edge kept smiling to our side (I think his family were in the audience, probably seated on his side). Although the rain probably made it difficult for some people on the pitch, we were actually right under one of the claws, and we didn't get rained upon that much. It was cool to see the umbrellas opened up on the stage. There were three umbrellas, the first one to open up was Larry's and Bono made a joke, 'Larry's the only one with an umbrella...' but The Edge also had one over his space station machine :D and Adam had one too. When it started raining, Dallas came on stage and covered up The Edge's setlist and his foot pedal thingy... it was quite a sight.

To see Bono perform Ultraviolet up that close brought tears to my eyes. I just LOVE that song!!!

After the concert lauramullen, MissVelvetDress_75 and I managed to drage ourselves to the nearest abrakebabra shop (fast-food store that sells kebabs, burgers, etc) to have our dinner and talk about our experiences.

I'll post pictures and videos when I get back to the States.... but I just wanted to say I had such a wonderful time with all my new (and not-so-new) friends from Interference!!

Last edited:
Tonight was my first and only GA on the tour. I met the lovely InfinityGirl on O'Connell Street beforehand, we joined the queue at Croker around 1pm and we made it into the pit. However we chose to go out to the outside rail in the centre of the walkway as the pit was a bit too packed. There was a small kerfuffle when the people who had been queueing overnight specifically to get a place on this rail arrived to find their spots taken, but it was sorted quickly and amicably, with the pit-deserters giving up their places on the rail. (Apparently security shouldn't have let us leave the pit at all.)

The sound down there was LOUD, very very LOUD. Lots of sub-bass from Larry's bass drum and marrow-wobbling bass from Adam's guitar. I think I finally understand how the people at the front and the band themselves hear everything a little bit before the rest of the stadium hear it from the speakers on the roof of the Claw - the speakers at the front would drown out a jumbo jet landing on the pitch never mind the delayed sound above.

The crowd at the front was almost entirely from overseas. The Irish tend to go into the gig either just before the gig starts, or (as I noticed last night) even a bit afterwards. There are drinks to finish off you know. But it was strange how all the crowd at the front went mad during the songs but all the cheers for Bono's little interludes about Dublin or Ireland came from the back and sides whilst those at the front stood almost completely silent. The homies were all a wee bit behind.

Highlights of the gig were NLOTH, Unknown Caller, and surprisingly for me, Vertigo - my word, Larry was fairly beating a few shades of shit out of his drums during it - as a (crappy) ex-drummer myself I loved seeing him in aggressive but measured full flow up close.

But the song of the concert is for me the song of the tour: Moment Of Surrender. It's like an intense but edifying confession blasted through an amplifier. Bono fell to his knees towards the end (his own moment of surrender to Croke Park and Dublin?), and it looked like he was offering up a silent prayer as the song continued. A beautiful, affecting moment.

I can't separate the two shows into which was better. Last night seemed much more local, much more of an Irish sing-a-long, much more showing off your new toys to your mates. But I was sitting amongst Dubs last night and they lapped up the many home-boy moments. Tonight for me was more showing off your tunes and your mates that play them - Bono put more references to the rest of the band in tonight whereas it was pure Dub talk last night.

I'm glad it rained - it's summer in Dublin after all :)

cathalmc, I'm sorry I missed you in the GA line! We could've chatted! It was so crazy when the gates were opened for GA. It was also my first GA experience. There's some good things and bad things, but overall I just enjoyed the night. Are you going to Monday's show? I don't have GA, but I'll be there.

5ht show of this tour for me, last night best so far,,

What a night in Baile Atha Cliath, welcome home boys, they did Dublin and Ireland proud again,,,,,!

Having now seen 5 shows on the 360 tour, imo the atmosphere last night was only matched perhaps by Barcelona, and at times last night it even topped it ...I was in the stand last night, low down @ Edge's side and it was amazing to watched the crowd reaction, at times every bit as intense as the Camp Nou....

Sound was a bit off at the start where I was (have seen previous shows from much closer) but it soon improved,,,,,Highlights for me were UF & Ultraviolet, but lots of other great stuff as well, even the alt. version of Crazy has grown on me, really like it now,

A magnificent crazy evening in the city of blinding lights (well the lights are blinding ones in Dublin for the nights u2 are at croker!)...

bg

ps - one of the highlights from the crowd had to be the singing of 'come on ye boys in blue' in certain sections (point of info for those who don't know what this refers to,,,,it's a crowd song at dublin gaelic football games - they play in blue jerseys)

I watched that scuffle unfold from inside the pit... nasty business indeed. It continued my view of "the rail whore" which I have observed at four shows now. That is primarily female fans who are obsessed with getting a rail position purely for the band interaction who stand there bored when a band member isn't near them.

Anyway, onto my Dublin 2 experiences:

We decided to arrive at 10am, so we got the bus up from our accommodation in Trinity College. My tickets had been lost in the post and I intended to pick them up when the office opened - I assumed I could pick them up whilst my gf held our spot in the queue (as in Amsterdam). Once there, the security guy told us there were 630 people in line and 2700 would be let in the pit BUT we couldn't get in without actual tickets. I debated this point with him for a bit, but gave up and took his directions to the Big Tree pub, where the ticket-office was meant to be.

Half an hour and numerous wrong turns later I arrive near the pub to find the GAA Official ticket office, which is closed, so we return to the stadium's opposite side to ask more stewards. This time they tell me the office isn't open till 4pm! At this point my gf starts crying and I fly into a rage at the injustice of it all - I was seriously considering just fucking the concert off and getting pissed :sad:

So I contacted my mother, who contacted ticketmaster who said the MOBILE ticket office would be at GILLS pub! We found out where this was and proceeded to there to find a ramshackle affair in an old house where we got the tickets around 12.15, then proceeded to the entrance once again. At this point I had to correct the security guards about the location of the ticketmaster office, as they were still telling people the wrong location!!

We went in and were around 1000 in the queue I guess - the feeling of elation knowing I would be in the pit was intense... we met an interesting Irish guy with the thickest accent I've ever heard. In the pit we met two Australian guys who were really into it which was great, and also some fans who were at Amsterdam etc.

I kept getting frustrated with people trying to push in to our positions so obviously. People put in a lot of effort to get good spots and it is just rude to do otherwise. Our little group decided to mention swine flu whenever this happened :lol:

The opening act were really weird, but I liked their eclectic funk-house style very much. What I didn't care for was the couple having a full on tongue-session every five minutes! Kaiser Chiefs were great... made me wish Bono would go crowd surfing again. I look forward to seeing them again.

As for the show itself, it outstripped the previous night and also Amsterdam 2 GA. I was glad I had my earplugs though - it was so loud at points I had to check I was still wearing them. My highlight was during Moment of Surrender, looking round and seeing the whole stadium behind me with the lights dazzling me and the rain slowly falling.

In fact, my only disappointment was the lack of a setlist surprise - I really thought Electrical Storm would make an appearance. Oh, and the fact my feet were so sore I was virtually crying once I walked back to Trinity.

Some photos from Dublin 2:

98riu0.jpg

23h84k5.jpg

rtq8h4.jpg

1zb524o.jpg

28ibv5w.jpg

347tdty.jpg

29l04lj.jpg

5jwu9u.jpg

Now thats a cool video there U2Wedge. So random people just stopped to listen for free even? Thats pretty cool I think I know if I was there and I heard streets I would of gone nuts. What an awesome video and its amazing how loud and clear you can hear it all too and to hear the crowd as well I think thats pretty awesome :)

Read somewhere that they may end later tonight? and break a law of the curfew with the sound and what not because they couldnt do the whole lights and everything like they wanted with the stage since the sun didnt go down until about 10?

Can someone explain how the crowding is at the front of the outer circle compared to inside the pit?

From looking from the Inner Cirle at the Outer Circle it looked fairly rammed / uncomfortable.

Thanks

Can someone explain how the crowding is at the front of the outer circle compared to inside the pit?

From looking from the Inner Cirle at the Outer Circle it looked fairly rammed / uncomfortable.

Thanks

It depends on which show you are at, and the people around you to some degree. The front of the GA area looked pretty crushed whenever a band member was near. Maybe 5-6 people deep I thought. I was 3 people back at Amsterdam and I had quite a bit of room (more as the show progressed). At Dublin I chose the back rail of the inner circle for various reasons (one of which was to avoid a crush). At that position I felt very little crushing - it was a tight fit but there was room to move/rotate/jump.

My impressions of the show:

- I'm disgusted at the GA behaviour described by smurphette. It's things like this that make me glad that I choose seats every time. While I admire the dedication of those prepared to travel great distances and then queue for many hours, or overnight etc, is it really worth it? Sadly the 'militant fans' (to quote Larry) seem to spoil things for others by their sheer selfishness.
- This was my second U2 live experience and I have to say it was better than Vertigo 1 in 2005. The band, and Bono in particular, really seemed to crank up the intensity (although if I was being picky, I'd say that Friday's setlist was better - but certainly not a problem for me.)
- The crowd were awesome, especially singing the majority of ISHFWILF while Bono just stood there, apparently in awe. Lovely Stand By Me snippet too.
- Plenty of people were glad that Unknown Caller made a comeback, but I was really hoping for Bad. Oh well, maybe I'll get to hear it some day.
- Damn the Croke Park curfew. Half the concert was in daylight so it would've been nice to get the full effect of the Claw in darkness all the way through.
- IMO, Streets has to be the best live song ever. If Bono really was moved to tears at the end of Saturday night's performance, I can understand why. Band and crowd in unison, stadium shaking beneath their feet - awesome.
- Moment of Surrender is a gorgeous song on album, and also live. I wasn't sure if it could be made to work as a live song, but it does. It's stupendous. Time seems to stop for eight minutes of blissful harmonic perfection...BUT, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work as a final song, because the concert does end on a slight downer. MOS would be good as a closer to the main set, if they then came back and tore the place apart with some fast songs.
- U2 are danceable! I used to think that Mysterious Ways was their funkiest effort, but the Crazy Tonight remix is pretty damn good too.
- On a purely personal note, there were four empty seats beside my wife and I for the entire concert. In between the Kaiser Chiefs and U2's sets, four Irish girls briefly occupied those seats, but they disappeared and didn't reappear. Where did they go?!
- In block 301 of the Cusack Stand, there were no problems with sound at all. Vocals and music could both be clearly differentiated.
- Can anyone explain Bono's cryptic references to Heuston and Connolly Stations, or was he just making a joke?
- The Chilean girl brought up on stage was presumably the only U2 fan who doesn't know where Bono lives.
- The Walk On performance was genuinely moving. While I think that the bulk of that song is bland, it does have a thrilling conclusion it works better as a live song. The overall impression was very poignant.
- The Claw is a technical marvel, but how can it ever be topped? It's so tall it can be seen from outside Croke Park! When it's fully lit up on TUF and COBL, it is beautiful.

- I'm disgusted at the GA behaviour described by smurphette. It's things like this that make me glad that I choose seats every time. While I admire the dedication of those prepared to travel great distances and then queue for many hours, or overnight etc, is it really worth it? Sadly the 'militant fans' (to quote Larry) seem to spoil things for others by their sheer selfishness.
- This was my second U2 live experience and I have to say it was better than Vertigo 1 in 2005. The band, and Bono in particular, really seemed to crank up the intensity (although if I was being picky, I'd say that Friday's setlist was better - but certainly not a problem for me.)
- The crowd were awesome, especially singing the majority of ISHFWILF while Bono just stood there, apparently in awe. Lovely Stand By Me snippet too.
- Plenty of people were glad that Unknown Caller made a comeback, but I was really hoping for Bad. Oh well, maybe I'll get to hear it some day.
- Damn the Croke Park curfew. Half the concert was in daylight so it would've been nice to get the full effect of the Claw in darkness all the way through.
- IMO, Streets has to be the best live song ever. If Bono really was moved to tears at the end of Saturday night's performance, I can understand why. Band and crowd in unison, stadium shaking beneath their feet - awesome.
- Moment of Surrender is a gorgeous song on album, and also live. I wasn't sure if it could be made to work as a live song, but it does. It's stupendous. Time seems to stop for eight minutes of blissful harmonic perfection...BUT, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work as a final song, because the concert does end on a slight downer. MOS would be good as a closer to the main set, if they then came back and tore the place apart with some fast songs.
- U2 are danceable! I used to think that Mysterious Ways was their funkiest effort, but the Crazy Tonight remix is pretty damn good too.
- On a purely personal note, there were four empty seats beside my wife and I for the entire concert. In between the Kaiser Chiefs and U2's sets, four Irish girls briefly occupied those seats, but they disappeared and didn't reappear. Where did they go?!
- In block 301 of the Cusack Stand, there were no problems with sound at all. Vocals and music could both be clearly differentiated.
- Can anyone explain Bono's cryptic references to Heuston and Connolly Stations, or was he just making a joke?
- The Chilean girl brought up on stage was presumably the only U2 fan who doesn't know where Bono lives.
- The Walk On performance was genuinely moving. While I think that the bulk of that song is bland, it does have a thrilling conclusion it works better as a live song. The overall impression was very poignant.
- The Claw is a technical marvel, but how can it ever be topped? It's so tall it can be seen from outside Croke Park! When it's fully lit up on TUF and COBL, it is beautiful.

The girls occupying the seats must have been floating around trying to find the best empty / unsold seats. I have seen this happening before, people will just see seats empty and chance sitting there in the hope that nobody else shows up to claim them!

I've seen something even stranger happening, people leaving the show after the support bands! Some folk seem to be buying the €30 tickets just to see certain support acts and then leaving when they're finished.

I am happy I had seats. My friends who opted for GA have my respect. I cannot tolerate the long hours of waiting for a spot and the abuse on the body.
I saw the security take a guy away on the pitch. he had dark hair and they had his arms behind his back. I assume this was the same guy that was being bullied by the bitches at the rail? I saw the Garda haul off a guy on night one from the pitch. Those were the only two incidents I could see from my seat.

The crowd singing ISHFWILF was simply amazing.
I sat in section 302 the first night in the lower tier on the Cussak side and had the best view of the sunset and of course the stage,right behind the Red Zone.
Night two, I was in the upper tier and had a great view as well of the whole stadium,so that provided me with a great overall perspective of the show.

I am a bit annoyed that I missed the majority of the Kaiser Chiefs set and further annoyed that I missed it because I was buying a shirt for my friend and by the time I bought it and nearly crushed to death by the fans all clamoring to buy a fucking shirt, I made it to my seats to see the last 3 songs. And just to rub salt in the wounds, when I made it to the upper tier, I saw a merchandise stand with maybe 10 people in line. :angry:

The Kaiser Chiefs are a great opening band and it looked like everyone who was on the pitch was enjoying as much as the singer, actually I think the singer was enjoying it more.

I love the Crazy remix but as I said in a previous thread, I do not like that it was followed up with Sunday Bloody Sunday. The song, while it still had everyone singing, it just killed the dance party atmosphere and to go right into a serious song was a buzz kill.

I hope U2 goes over the curfew tonight. I will be following the setlist this afternoon.

Last edited:
Dublin 2 was my first show of this tour and it was a really fantastic live performance. Some things I wasn't sure about on paper really worked in the flesh. 'Crazy Tonight' was an absolute highlight for me, brilliant. As was 'Vertigo' which took it to the next level.. you could see from Adam's face on the bridge that he was completely loving it. Like many others before the show I would have prefered to see WOWY replaced, but it was a knockout version on the night, really was.. I don't understand why so many people of u2tours.com have slagged it off. Really enjoyed having a profile view of Larry and even though we were on the opposite side to Edge, he came and rocked out with us a good few times, particularly during Streets and Crazy Tonight. I still have mixed views on the whole mask parade / Walk On section. I now do believe that the masks are a good idea purely so that people will read the info on the back of them. Better than a postcard or posters. But I don't think the show needs the theatre of the procession of people.. I know others will disagree.

A few observations.. we arrived at about 1pm and we were completely crammed into the GA queues like sheep in pens it was very uncomfortable. Once we were in, we stood right on the edge of Adam's side at the edge of the pit crowd. The body of the pit was completely rammed.. much more tightly packed than on any of the last tours. I needed to cut though to find my friend before even the support bands had started (not to secure a spot) and there was some real attitude from some people in there.. I was happy to stay on the side. The atmosphere where we were was surprisingly flat.. no jumping up and down and hardly and applause at the end of the show or when the band were on the bridge right in front of us. We thought this may have been due to the mainly out-of-town crowd who have seen several shows are *maybe* more interested in the 'trainspotting' aspect rather than the joy of the moment, but that seemed quite strange to us. The main Dublin crowd seemed to be further back.

Overall great though, you really can't get your head around this one until you are there.. so if you've been gorging on youtube clips don't worry you will still have your breath taken away when you get to the show.

Back
Top Bottom