July 25, 2009 - Croke Park DUBLIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uh, ok....but that thread is closed, with a redirect to this thread :huh:

Where was there any redirect? What I specifically said in this thread was that if anyone wanted to "read" about what happened they should "read" about it in the other thread and that this thread should be used to discuss the concert. No where did I say to use this or the other thread to continue this discussion, since it obviously couldn't be done in a civilized manner.

Last edited:
Wow. After reading all about the Dublin shows, I'm starting to get a bit anxious about the Boston shows and just how they'll play out. I may just take the "no stress" road...get there at a reasonable hour, and get the best spot I can. Have to see what all the other people I'm going with want to do...of course maybe there'll be a lottery in the US...guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dublin shows sound like they were a bunch of fun though once they got started. Thanks for sharing all your experiences.

Where was there any redirect? What I specifically said in this thread was that if anyone wanted to "read" about what happened they should "read" about it in the other thread and that this thread should be used to discuss the concert. No where did I say to use this or the other thread to continue this discussion, since it obviously couldn't be done civilized manner.

My mistake, I got a bit confused with what you were saying, as I think you misunderstood what 'dray' was saying in his post and the thread was closed prematurely (what happens with crowd control in GA is part of the U2 360 tour experience, either in a general sense or more specific to the show in question). We've managed to bring it around to a more civilized discussion with concessions made in this thread. :up:

Thanks Gabriel, it's still ongoing. The sergeant at the station is one very elusive, and as yet unresponsive, cop. Anyway, that was on the 24th, not the 25th :)

I am just thinking, the cover of your book does have a similar colour scheme to the HTDAAB album and Vertigo tour logos, so maybe these cops thought it was U2 merchandise you were selling unlicensed or something.

Anyway, you know yourself, Irish cops are not necessarily the most efficient, so all I can say is keep hassling this guy with phone calls and explaining your situation.

I will purchase a copy on your website over the weekend so now you are only down 29 books.

But you had a fantastic time at the concert, yeah? What happened to other people in the stadium on Saturday didn't spoil my enjoyment of the gig, and it won't spoil my memories of it either.

Acrobatics: don't let us argumentative bastards drag your fabulous U2 live in Dublin birthday down :)

re-title your book 'Fahrenheit 360'... just read your blog post... wow.

Wow. After reading all about the Dublin shows, I'm starting to get a bit anxious about the Boston shows and just how they'll play out. I may just take the "no stress" road...get there at a reasonable hour, and get the best spot I can. Have to see what all the other people I'm going with want to do...of course maybe there'll be a lottery in the US...guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dublin shows sound like they were a bunch of fun though once they got started. Thanks for sharing all your experiences.

that's what I opted to do after telling myself for months I'd be in line at 7am. Got to the Friday night gig around 5pm and was 5 back on the outside rail. A half hour sooner and I'd have been 1st or 2nd. They're packing the inner circle so tight I looked at it and was actually glad I wasn't in it. Would have been dangerous if it had been hot out.

Delusion: a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact
I just read your blog as well. Crazy. There are all sorts of unauthorized U2 books being sold out there.

Not sure if you'll even see this now, but would it be helpful at all for other fans to write polite but insistent e-mails to the promoters/merchandisers, requesting the return of your books? We could point out that we spend a great deal of money on U2 merchandise, and that your book has no impact on this whatsoever. If you think that would help, just say the word, I'm in. In the meantime, good luck getting your books back. :up:

Hi u2wedge & VintagePunk

Thanks for your support. I don't wanna get accused of spamming the board or hogging threads cos this is my own personal issue to resolve, but I think it's better if I try to get the books back with my own polite but insistent emails :)

Hi u2wedge & VintagePunk

Thanks for your support. I don't wanna get accused of spamming the board or hogging threads cos this is my own personal issue to resolve, but I think it's better if I try to get the books back with my own polite but insistent emails :)

Hi Cathal,

Coming to this issue a little late, but have just got up to speed by reading your blog posts. I have to say that you were very unlucky to have been apprehended by what must be the two most zealous Gardai in Dublin, and I hope that you manage to get your books back. Sadly, this is an example of when U2's management's understandable desire to maximise their income streams ends up negatively impacting upon a genuine fan doing no harm whatsoever. Surely anyone with an iota of common sense could realise that your book is nothing like the obvious knockoff crap that I saw being OPENLY peddled last Saturday night. I'd also be amazed if the name 'U2' can really be considered a copyright phrase - what about the many unofficial U2 books that have been published already? I imagine that MCD etc probably haven't even looked at your book and so won't be aware that - I would presume - there's no infringements of anyone's intellectual property therein. But they'll still take the easy option of insisting on the 'no exceptions' rules.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the rest of the tour. It's just a shame that your worst experience so far has been so close to home in a city renowned for friendliness and - as you say on your blog - "especially in Ireland, the land of scholars and writers".

that's what I opted to do after telling myself for months I'd be in line at 7am. Got to the Friday night gig around 5pm and was 5 back on the outside rail. A half hour sooner and I'd have been 1st or 2nd. They're packing the inner circle so tight I looked at it and was actually glad I wasn't in it. Would have been dangerous if it had been hot out.

it was packed out round the front of the stage- but there was alot more space around the sides- which is usually the case with the GC's. There were only 2000 people in the GC in Dublin- which is less than half the number from Vertigo tour

actually reading some of the other posts has reminded me of something- as we came out on Saturday I had loads of loose change rattling around, so I said to my brother can we stop for a minute so I could get it sorted out- he held the bags with the t-shirts etc in them whilst I collected all the coins together- just as I was finishing 2 gardi came up and asked what we were doing and wanted to look in the bag- guess they thought it was some dodgy deal going on- we explained what was happening and showed them the t-shirts we bought inside the stadium and then they just moved on

I didn't see any "unofficial" t-shirt sellers around the place, or any ticket touts either- which is unusual to say the least

I didn't see any "unofficial" t-shirt sellers around the place, or any ticket touts either- which is unusual to say the least

There were ticket touts wandering up and down O'Connell Street on Friday evening, holding up A4 printed sheets that said things like 'U2 tickets at less than face value'! I saw some discreet touting on Saturday night on the Cusack side of Croke Park, but only one unofficial t-shirt seller.

I was outside the stadium until U2 came onstage on Friday, and until about an hour before they came onstage on Monday.

On both nights there were loads of ticket touts on the streets The place was swarming with them. I enquired with a few about how much tickets were and their first price was well over twice the face value.

I saw people selling counterfeit T-shirts on Saturday and Monday after the concerts, maybe around half a mile from Croke Park, and also on O'Connell Street, but not in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

The sergeant at the station told me that they did confiscate quite a lot of counterfeit posters and T-shirts from around the stadium too, so it was going on.

There were ticket touts wandering up and down O'Connell Street on Friday evening, holding up A4 printed sheets that said things like 'U2 tickets at less than face value'! I saw some discreet touting on Saturday night on the Cusack side of Croke Park, but only one unofficial t-shirt seller.

How about this. I saw obvious touting (even chatting with the event security) outside the temporary Ticketmaster office!

Two Dublin U2 shirts for sale

ONLY TWO AVAILABLE FOR SALE ON THE PLANET
My girlfriend and I took in the U2 concert at Croke Park on July 25th. We stood in line for 20 minutes to buy T-Shirts and as we got to the front of the line we realized we only had credit cards. We were sent to an even longer line at another booth that accepted cards. Well, I didn’t want to miss the Kaiser Chiefs or U2 so we abandoned our attempts to get shirts.
Upon our return to Canada I made up my own design and silk-screened it myself. This is a limited edition run of 4 shirts only. My girlfriend and I have one each and there are two up for sale on e-bay. Search for *search terms removed by Bonochick* on ebay!

The shirts are specifically for the July 25th show. They are brand new and never worn.
Half the money from the sale of these shirts will be donated to one.org.

Last edited by a moderator:

My girlfriend and I took in the U2 concert at Croke Park on July 25th. We stood in line for 20 minutes to buy T-Shirts and as we got to the front of the line we realized we only had credit cards. We were sent to an even longer line at another booth that accepted cards. Well, I didn’t want to miss the Kaiser Chiefs or U2 so we abandoned our attempts to get shirts.

Upon our return to Canada ...

I think you've skipped a few pages here!

ONLY TWO AVAILABLE FOR SALE ON THE PLANET
Upon our return to Canada I made up my own design and silk-screened it myself. This is a limited edition run of 4 shirts only. My girlfriend and I have one each and there are two up for sale on e-bay. Search for *search terms removed by Bonochick* on ebay!

The shirts are specifically for the July 25th show. They are brand new and never worn.
Half the money from the sale of these shirts will be donated to one.org.

You have made one reply and started one thread here so far, and they have both been to post this information.

Per our rules:

If you register on this forum solely to advertise your website or sell merchandise, you will be warned and may be ultimately banned.

Perhaps that is not your sole intention, but it looks suspicious. We also do not allow people to link to eBay auctions (or to trying to circumvent links by providing search terms).

I appreciate that half of the money is going to charity...I assure you I'm not completely heartless! But unless you have made arrangements with the site owner and/or a site administrator, we can't allow advertisements like this.

Last edited:
Slideshow

Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots

Cathal in the queue

2315342480101351011S600x600Q85.jpg

Smiling Adam

2583619540101351011S600x600Q85.jpg

Bono and the umbrellas

2656675910101351011S600x600Q85.jpg

"Ultraviolet"

2149448630101351011S600x600Q85.jpg

And infinitygirl too, just on my right! But great photies Nick, well, except for the first one :)

Back
Top Bottom