July 23, 2011 - TCF Stadium - Minneapolis, MN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, please let us know if he responds.

One of my favorite screen moments was the end of Vertigo, when Bono was staring down the camera, and looking like the baddest-ass drowned rat you've ever seen.

What I took away from that review - other than the guy isn't particularly great with spelling and punctuation - is that he went to the show pissed, stayed pissed because the least informed source he could find gave him the wrong info, was even more pissed when it rained, and then left pissed. How the hell did he even end up at this show?

Well, he's clearly not even a U2 fan, as he seemed surprised by the political bits.

Like, what - are you new?

I emailed that idiot. :down:

I sent in my own (admittedly hurried) review to try to clarify that his jacked up info wasn't the band's fault. It still hasn't been posted.

Sorry, but he was just pulling info out of his ass - or not looking at his watch. Interpol, I believe, went on at 7:15 - exactly the time security had posted on their info sheets. I believe Space Oddity started playing shortly after 9, not 9:10. But maybe I'm wrong . . .

I won't get too bothered by this guy. Obviously he's not too sharp ("finely at 9:10 the arrogant band shows up to play.") :|

Space Oddity started at exactly 9:00 because I was staring at the time when it hit 9:00.

That guy is an idiot. Worst concert he's ever been to? :doh: Best U2 show I've ever been to!!!

if he would have said "...and they didn't even play out of control!", i would have cut him some slack. :D

gopher - want to thank you as well for being a good host this weekend. enjoyed hanging out with you friday night and saturday after the show. thank goodness we found a place to eat/drink or there would have been a few corpses in the street.

I was actually thinking at one point, "I bet someone in this stadium is pissed about the rain . . ." Then I looked around and thought, "Nah."

Also, if you want to friend me on FB and haven't already done so, shoot me a PM.

I had no idea that every bar in Stadium Village would be butts-to-nuts packed an hour and a half after the show. For Gopher football, things aren't nearly that busy that long after a game.

As far as the setlist goes, would a swap of Streets and MoS worked better for a rain show?

Sorry my first post was so long winded.

Oh, please let us know if he responds.

One of my favorite screen moments was the end of Vertigo, when Bono was staring down the camera, and looking like the baddest-ass drowned rat you've ever seen.

Oh he did. He was bitching about how he will never see U2 again. That they shouldn't have the times on the ticket saying that they would be on at 8. It was rude of them to come on at 9. He said the moody blues?!?! would never let their fans wait. LOL! I told him that you must be a new U2 fan because they usually have political bits in their concerts. He said he wasn't a new u2 fan. He's been to many shows. Called them pompous and arrogant.

He sounded like an utter moron. Spelling and grammar were atrocious.

Good lord...

um, wasn't the time on the ticket 7:00 and not 8:00 anyway?

What a doof.

GopherMac, I don't know your last name so don't know how to find you on FB.

Yeah. I'm just happy nobody was struck by lightning on Sat. They (U2 and U of MN) had to be nervous about the safety of the crowd during all that. They just HAD to be iron clad insurance and all. If someone had been struck and possibly killed that would have definitely ended the tour party. Honestly, I think we're all pretty lucky. It certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility although no one wants to admit that. The logistics of cancelling the show midway through or even not going on as scheduled due to predictions of very severe weather are conversations that I'm sure had to have taken place. Or at least I hope they were. I saw a guy put his young son on his shoulders during some of the worst of the downpour and I wondered WTH he was thinking. Maybe he thought the claw would protect us all? Anyway, if someone had been hurt I'm sure we'd all be signing paperwork promising not to hold so and so liable in the event of etc etc etc to even go to an outdoor show. Or maybe they just would never hold them again.

I'm no weather expert, but ..... wouldn't it have been most likely that if lightning hit anything in the stadium, it would have hit the highest points? i.e., the lighting fixtures atop the stadium or the spire of the Claw?

I'm sure the Claw has got to be grounded 10 ways from Sunday - surely they factor that sort of thing into the logistics of the structure and all the electronics?

I'm no expert either but I think lightning will strike the highest place and then keep travelling until nothing can conduct it any longer. Sometimes it can jump to a person who is standing near. Which is why they tell you not to go under trees in a lightning storm but instead to crouch on the ground. Just sayin'. I'm sure there was a risk vs. benefits conversation somewhere and it was decided to go forth despite the risks. I'm sure the claw is grounded because it shelters the band.

I hope we get a Willie's Diary entry about it! I'm honestly curious as to how that all went down.

Of course the claw is grounded, everything else would be life-threatening stupidity.

And for the idiot posting his "review" on u2tours: Don't even bother writing that guy and arguing with him. It's like arguing with some idiot who posts crap on You Tube. Obviously this guy is not a fan and doesn't know much about U2 at all, in spite of what he claims. He might have been to other U2 shows, but I doubt he was in a better mood there, maybe he was just drunk, otherwise he'd know stuff like political statements that are part of a U2 show.

Don't let your joy be spoiled by someone who's clearly making statements out of his own ass. The internet is full of idiots and some of them are also coming to U2 fan sites to write stupid stuff. I feel sorry for someone so bitter and grumpy, he should have invested the money for the ticket otherwise and let someone else have the ticket who really is a fan and knows how to enjoy a good show.

Props to U2 for braving the elements.

Cheapskate's Row:

U2 at TCF Bank Stadium (7.23.11) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

5974279076_5c1a637daa_z.jpg

:ohmy:

Since when are there gymnastic classes at a U2 concert?

I'm no weather expert, but ..... wouldn't it have been most likely that if lightning hit anything in the stadium, it would have hit the highest points? i.e., the lighting fixtures atop the stadium or the spire of the Claw?

I'm sure the Claw has got to be grounded 10 ways from Sunday - surely they factor that sort of thing into the logistics of the structure and all the electronics?

Correct, the tip of the Claw is a lightningrod, it draws any lightning that could possibly get there. :) This was explained by I think Jake Berry in one of the u2.com vids about building the Claw.

Random fact... being under The Claw during the whole show, I could actually taste the plastic on that structure when the rain hit it, then fell on me later on! Wasn't that bad, haha. :)

Oh he did. He was bitching about how he will never see U2 again. That they shouldn't have the times on the ticket saying that they would be on at 8. It was rude of them to come on at 9. He said the moody blues?!?! would never let their fans wait. LOL! I told him that you must be a new U2 fan because they usually have political bits in their concerts. He said he wasn't a new u2 fan. He's been to many shows. Called them pompous and arrogant.

He sounded like an utter moron. Spelling and grammar were atrocious.

Good lord...

You would think he's an older guy if he didn't write like an 8 year old.

LOL. It was rude of them to come on at 9! You mean like every other show they've ever done? Yeah, any real fan that's been to more than a show or two knows that 9 is the standard.

I'm sure John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band don't make their fans wait.

You would think he's an older guy if he didn't write like an 8 year old.

LOL. It was rude of them to come on at 9! You mean like every other show they've ever done? Yeah, any really fan that's been to more than a show or two knows that 9 is the standard.

I'm sure John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band don't make their fans wait.

:lol:

The Darkside is coming, now nothing is real,
She'll never know just how I'll feel
From out of the shadow's she walk's like a dream
Make me feel crazy, make me feel so mean.

Sadly being from New England, I think I might have seen John Cafferty. I remember being disappointed he didn't look like Michael Pare.

The Twin Cities have a very limited number of Wal Marts. You are in TARGET COUNTRY! I am sure Mark and I could have both given you directions to the location of the first Target.

That was my immediate thought, too. :lol: Walmart is NOT ALLOWED in Minneapolis' city limits, and we are proud as hell of that.

MARK: by chance, did you and your wife have dinner in Saint Paul on Sunday night?

We were at the new Teppanyaki Buffet in Minneapolis with our niece and nephew--okay neighborhood, but a great place to feed chow-hound kids.

the whole stand by me thing with that guy was so out of place for this show. when bono went over to edge at the end of ISHFWILF and whispered in his ear i started to get excited we might get something cool. then they went into stand by me. major bummer. if 2 people in the crowd knew who that guy was, i'd be surprised. if they want to bring out someone famous, fine. if they want to bring out someone local, fine. but not that guy in that spot

i wasn't all that happy with bono linking MOS to somalia either.

i don't know if some of you know this, but hearing OOC was kind of a 'thing' for me. after my camera died, i just took the show in and had a good time like a normal person. bono said the end of the tour party started here. during streets i looked at the crowd and there were still so many people there, i really started to think there would be a chance they'd play it. we were there in an hour while we got drenched!

after MOS had ended, i just kept saying "don't stand up larry. don't stand up larry. don't stand up larry" and for dallas to have the OOC-guitar at the ready. but i guess not. yeah, they were all wet too and i'm sure they just wanted to go dry off. unfortunately it was probably never in the plans rain or no rain. i just really hope they don't play it in pittsburgh cause i'll never hear the end of it.

I really wanted more, too, but I've got to learn to not get my hopes up.
(I predicted The Electric Co. before the Vertigo Tour, and should have retired after. I thought they would bring out Surrender for this tour. :shrug: )

I said in my review (U2 Interference – U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More :D ) and others here said it, too, not only do we have a huge Somali population here, we have quite a few Ethiopians and Eritreans, too. Bono had met with local Horn of Africa leaders before the concert, and the U.N. just declared a new famine in the Horn.

UN declares famine in two regions of southern Somalia

MN Public Radio show from Monday where they talk about Bono's meeting:
Getting relief to starving Somalis | Minnesota Public Radio News

Looking for the two lovely ladies who were behind me on the front rail, Adam's side. They got an amazing photo of him smiling and was hoping it would be posted already - will keep checking back, but if you want to connect, I'm on facebook - Wendy Alexander.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom