July 20, 2011 - New Meadowlands Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the heat totally kicked my butt again, but unlike last time, at least I perked up in time for U2! Poor Sarah had to do the mad dash into the pit without me because I was back with the medics. She was 2nd row between Bono & Adam and was sure to tell everyone around her where I was and that I hoped to be joining them if I felt better (everyone was kind enough to try to hold a spot for me). I rejoined Sarah in the pit, but started feeling a bit dizzy & queasy again. Long story short, my husband and son arrived at about 6:30 and I asked the people around us in the pit if they would mind if I gave up my spot to my son since it was questionable if I could make it through the show. So he was with his sister up front, while my husband and I were back on the floor. After a little while, during Interpol's set I began feeling better and we decided to check out the pit and see if we could get a decent spot. We ended up 6-8 rows back on Adam' s side and it really was a great view (not 2nd row, but I can't complain!) The show was amazing, but I was surprised that I was pretty much the only person that seemed to know any of the songs other than the hits...most of the people around me were lame! I missed being up front with the crazies! But mostly I missed sharing the experience with Sarah! At the very end of Moment of Surrender I started making my way over to the kids. I was excusing myself and ducking down so I wouldn't block anyone as I made my
way through the crowd. Then I heard Bono say "One more," and heard Out Of Control! I started freaking out and squealing like a little girl, and I knew I had to get to Sarah ASAP because she's been waiting 10 years to hear it! She had no idea that I was feeling OK and was in the pit for the whole show, so she was shocked when all of a sudden I'm hugging her from behind and jumping up and down as Bono starts singing! I know it meant a lot to her that we were at least together for that song! What an incredible show! Bono gave 150% despite the fact that he was clearly struggling with the heat. I just wish they'd played more shows in the northeast because 1 is just not enough and traveling was out of the question. Anyhow, I'm grateful for more fantastic U2 memories. ~Liz

Here are our pictures if anyone's interested:Facebook

This was my 10th 360 show - possibly Pittsburgh and definitely Moncton to go for me - and it was certainly one of the best. It was also my 40th time seeing U2, and I'd rank it up there with some of the best I've seen from them. (though, I've only seen Elevation tour onward)

Anyway, as others have said, the energy from the band was fantastic, even though Bono was nearly having a heatstroke and was clearly fatigued at points, he put on an excellent performance.

Having the setlist be two extra songs long - and not bullshit songs like Happy Birthday or something - was a real treat. The newest version of Magnificent with the slightly increased tempo is much better than the original live version they played in 2009, and better than the attempted remix earlier this year. Didn't expect to hear that once they played The Fly.

The screwup during Stay (edge playing stuck for a few seconds) was pretty funny, especially considering Edge is the one that introduced the song while Bono went to change or get a drink or whatever he did. Last time at Giants Stadium in '09 Bono screwed it up by singing the second verse first and they started from the top, so I guess it was Edge's turn to bring it full circle.

I avoided twitter/facebook/texting etc. despite having full service in the stadium (holy shit, a miracle for any stadium), so Out of Control was a pretty nice surprise, though I thought something was up when i saw Dallas stirring around.

On this leg, I've been to Baltimore, Montreal x2, Philadelphia and East Rutherford, and I'd probably say this one was my second favorite next to Montreal 2 and slightly ahead of Baltimore. But all these shows have been better than the 2009 shows to me.

Also, Hallelujah before Streets is effing fantastic.

crazy levi said:
I left early...during With or Without You.

Why?

Why not? The last thing I need to hear is that song for the 1000th time, and I could care less about Moment of Surrender.

And, unlike the last show at Giants Stadium, I didn't want to get back at 2 am.

Going out to the Meadowlands in Jersey sucks. So does skipping a few songs but it was nice to be back home by 12:15.

So you left half an hour early and managed to get home 45 minutes before me, and I got to see two and a half more songs than you.

Well done.

Agree then :wink:
good stuff. if i want to see a band playing good songs with a bland background, i can go and see almost any other band i like.

if i want songs i like with spectacular backing, i'm going to u2.

plus, enjoy stadium rock while it lasts. once the likes of u2 and springsteen are gone, who else is going to pack the meadowlands?

good stuff. if i want to see a band playing good songs with a bland background, i can go and see almost any other band i like.

plus, enjoy stadium rock while it lasts. once the likes of u2 and springsteen are gone, who else is going to pack the meadowlands?

the stones! :wink:

The show was amazing, but I was surprised that I was pretty much the only person that seemed to know any of the songs other than the hits...most of the people around me were lame!

While Bono was singing Miss Sarajevo, these two ladies sitting next to me, asked me, "Excuse me, is this a new song? I never heard this song before."

:tsk:

Well the heat totally kicked my butt again, but unlike last time, at least I perked up in time for U2! Poor Sarah had to do the mad dash into the pit without me because I was back with the medics. She was 2nd row between Bono & Adam and was sure to tell everyone around her where I was and that I hoped to be joining them if I felt better (everyone was kind enough to try to hold a spot for me). I rejoined Sarah in the pit, but started feeling a bit dizzy & queasy again. Long story short, my husband and son arrived at about 6:30 and I asked the people around us in the pit if they would mind if I gave up my spot to my son since it was questionable if I could make it through the show. So he was with his sister up front, while my husband and I were back on the floor. After a little while, during Interpol's set I began feeling better and we decided to check out the pit and see if we could get a decent spot. We ended up 6-8 rows back on Adam' s side and it really was a great view (not 2nd row, but I can't complain!) The show was amazing, but I was surprised that I was pretty much the only person that seemed to know any of the songs other than the hits...most of the people around me were lame! I missed being up front with the crazies! But mostly I missed sharing the experience with Sarah! At the very end of Moment of Surrender I started making my way over to the kids. I was excusing myself and ducking down so I wouldn't block anyone as I made my
way through the crowd. Then I heard Bono say "One more," and heard Out Of Control! I started freaking out and squealing like a little girl, and I knew I had to get to Sarah ASAP because she's been waiting 10 years to hear it! She had no idea that I was feeling OK and was in the pit for the whole show, so she was shocked when all of a sudden I'm hugging her from behind and jumping up and down as Bono starts singing! I know it meant a lot to her that we were at least together for that song! What an incredible show! Bono gave 150% despite the fact that he was clearly struggling with the heat. I just wish they'd played more shows in the northeast because 1 is just not enough and traveling was out of the question. Anyhow, I'm grateful for more fantastic U2 memories. ~Liz

Here are our pictures if anyone's interested:Facebook
Hi Liz, do we need to be friends to see your photos?

Get ready for it....

INTERPOL!

Well on a serious note bands like The Killers are certainly stadium material.

In fact, they're doing the Citrus Bowl down in Orlando in November.

I'm not sure that The Killers could fill 90,000 seats....They could do Yankee Stadium or Citifield.....55,000 is much more attainable.

Well that's down the road of course. Nobody is a stadium act without a ton of material behind them.

We'll see how they do at the Citrus Bowl.

I came up from Atlanta to see this show. I have always wanted to see U2 in NY...well Jersey was close enough - I guess. I've been to about 20 U2 shows all together and I don't know, maybe it was the massive crowd and the fans around me and my sister (who BTW was a newbie to U2 and now a convert) who had amazing energy and who were obviously big fans made this show all the more awesome for me. I didn't even mind the KING KONG sized guy I was seated next too and managed to occupy half my space. It was a exhilirating show for us. The band sounded great and I love the effects of this tour. I've never seen so many people at a rock concert. Crazy. It was hotter than hell in NY that week and I looked like I had taken a shower by the end of the show I was drenched in sweat. I felt amazing! I felt like I was 16 again...the next day my body was like WTF were you thinking 16 my a$$! :huh: But it was worth it. Worse thing about the whole night was the hour and a half it took just to get on the freaking train. I thought people were going to riot. We didn't get back to Dix Hills until 3:30 - and that was with us having a car waiting at Penn Station for us. It really was probably my favorite U2 show. :heart:

Glad you had a blast !!

The energy that night was palpable ! Palpable probably doesn't do it justice.

:love: I will remember it forever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom