July 20, 2011 - New Meadowlands Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome show!! Twas my last.. Had outside rail on edge's side.. awesome spot. Loved the show and was thrilled by the setlist and ending with OOC was spectacular. Bono literally sang to us during a part of beautiful day (me julie and heather with JCoster right behind us). And of course my damn camera battery died right before this so I couldn't get it.:grumpy: :mad: but the pics I did get I just posted on FB..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2282675185647.2138836.1211860041&l=44574db8e2&type=1

Been trying to find a BD youtube video but nothing :|

My Beautiful Day video just came up on YouTube right now... I remember when he was up in front of you guys although I doubt my view would show any of that whatsoever. I'll check and post when it's done processing.

4 minutes of process time, I believe you guys are on at 5:25 till the end of the video. I'll post it ASAP for you! It's on the screen though, from the 200s :lol:

This was definitely a top show for me. It ranks up there with:

1. ZOOTV 8/29/92 Yankee Stadium
2. Vertigo 12/8/06 Hawaii
3. Elevation 10/27/01 MSG

This was show 39 or 40 for me. I've lost count. Starting of with EBTTRT/Fly/MW/UTEOTW/IWF + Zooropa + OOC. :applaud:

If they would have played Bad/"40". This would have probably been the best U2 show ever... The damn show wasn't even over till midnight.

Stop talking about Bad/"40" it breaks my heart if there was any truth to that :(

Other than that though, phenomenal, phenomenal show.

This was definitely a top show for me. It ranks up there with:

1. ZOOTV 8/29/92 Yankee Stadium
2. Vertigo 12/8/06 Hawaii
3. Elevation 10/27/01 MSG

This was show 39 or 40 for me. I've lost count. Starting of with EBTTRT/Fly/MW/UTEOTW/IWF + Zooropa + OOC. :applaud:

If they would have played Bad/"40". This would have probably been the best U2 show ever... The damn show wasn't even over till midnight.

i was at your #1 and #3
the yankee stadium show was overwhelming !:shocked:
The show right after 9/11 was unbelievably emotional.

Last night was far superior to the earlier leg in North America, back in 2009. Although, at the last NJ show in 09, they did play UF.:love:

I saw 7 shows on this tour between the US and Europe and this one was BY FAR the best of them. Unbelievable energy from the band and the crowd and the setlist was incredible. Far superior show to the first 2 on this tour at the old Giants Stadium.

OOC to finish the show took a 10/10 show and made it an 11/10.

This one competes with the MSG post 9/11 shows and Vertigo Hawaii for my all-time best. I think I need few days for the 'final' mental ranking to sink in...but this one might be the best pure performance.

I looked around a couple of times and it looked like the only song the crowd sat down in mass for was MS. Everyone was up for Zooropa and nearly all the show. What a crowd last night.. Great energy.

Now if they just played some f'in POP, like Gone or Please.

I actually saw someone in the pit with a ZooTv Albany 3/21/92 concert t-shirt. That was my first show. I had that shirt. I left it in the laundry at school. :doh:

Sometimes I think going to fewer shows (this was my only 2011 show), makes you appreciate what a good show they put on. When you keep going tons of shows, I think they lose their luster.

I even thought the Popmart shows were great. Especially the ones in Boston.

I feel sorry for all the people who missed out on seeing U2 360 this leg. Definitely seems like there is way more positive buzz this leg.

Oh, and I'm tired as ass and will probably be going to bed in a couple of minutes.

Short review:

It was an ok show. Certainly not the best I've ever seen...I rank it 4th out of 5th Iv'e seen, beating out only the last Meadowlands show.

The weather - turned out really nice. It cooled down a lot with a nice breeze by the time I got there at 6:30pm.

photo4.jpg

The venue - much nicer than the old dump that was Giants Stadium. All seats have cupholders which is a nice touch and there were bars and concessions everywhere. There is even a "club" on the 100 level concourse that sells liqour (not just beer and garbage like Mike's Hard). You can't take your booze out tho unless you smuggle it out. Which we did.

The show - The setlist was much improved over last time at Giants Stadium. Playing so much of the new album was a horrible move last time, considering how weak it is. This was a crowd-pleaser - the huge hits, and tons of Acthung/Zooropa stuff which is my favorite U2 music. I never thought I'd hear them play Zooropa, that made my night and made coming out to the swamp in Jersey worth it. Never get sick of I will Follow or Pride so was happy to hear them to. No Line on the Horizon was no prize when it was released, but I'm surprised by how poorly it's aging. Not a single song off it can really stand shoulder to shoulder with even stuff off All You Cant Leave Behind. Go Crazy Tonight might be the worst song they've ever done, gay bongo thrusting remix or otherwise.

photo1_001.jpg

The sound was pretty horrible and just hammered home how much better these shows are in arenas. It was really bad for the first couple of songs, but improved a bit as the show went on. Still, a bit murky and messy. It's a gigantic football stadium, what do you expect?

The crowd - I don't know how it was in GA (I suspect much younger) but up in the stands it was the usual wretched mass of aging Jersey meatheads and their kids. The completely white crowd was pretty drunk with the "wwwwoooooooooooo!!!!!" factor off the charts.

photo.jpg

I sat in Lower Level 116 by the way. Good seats, but it's a stadium show so there really are NO good seats.

All in all it was a fun night but I am SOOOO over stadium shows. I'm glad that so many people are declaring this "the best U2 show eva!!!!" but people do that here when they review EVERY show so it's no surprise.

My review of the tour -

In the end this tour just was a disapointment for me. The move back into stadiums blows, and the whole "360" concept was a scam. How is it a "360" show when a third of the seats have an obstructed view? Why wasn't the "Claw" in the center of the field with a rotating stage instead of in the end zone? Makes no sense to me. Basically the same open stage with tons of crappy seats tour they've been doing since 2000, just in a Stadium now.

Speaking of the Claw - for all the hype, it really isn't that interesting. Once you get used to the size of it, it doesn't offer anything besides some decent lighting and a stretchy low-def TV screen.

I saw PopMart, and really enjoyed it, and from what I've seen Zoo TV must have been an awesome spectacle live. These shows proved that you can do an interesting stadium show that keeps the entire place engaged and blows you away with "rock magic" and spectacle. But this show - Claw TV or whatever - would have been much better in an arena. The "spectacle" just wasn't there, and unless you are inside the circle on the floor, it's pretty hard to connect either with the performers or the technology.

It's still U2, and they have a great catalogue of songs and they sounded great. But I really look forward to seeing them again in a venue more suited to rock shows.

Hey Numb I was just thinking were you with the guys that were totally smashed and the lady dancing like Woodstock era?

Haha, I don't think so.

I was with 1 guy to my left, and a blondish girl 2 seats to my left.

the woman dancing like she was from Woodstock, was probably the woman to my right, she was a bit out of it.

I am about 5 foot 10, thin, and probably clapped and sang a lot, and never sat.

Lucky#7, are you still working on getting the other songs from the show onto interference?

I'm beginning to shake a little from concert withdrawal....:crack:

Back
Top Bottom