July 14, 2011 - Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do we not have blue crackers from this area? :wink:

Ok, I'll be the first!

It was a hometown show for me, so I was really excited. The weather could not be better. Bono stopped and did a short meet & greet with the fans (that I missed :doh: but I caught up with a fellow fan from Wilmington who got a kiss from Bono and her son got an autograph from him :) ).

It wasn't my favorite show this tour, but being a hometown show, it was special nonetheless. My coworkers and friends were at the show, it was their first time seeing The Claw, and it was just priceless to hear how much they enjoyed the show. We got Magnificent back, one of my favorite songs from NLOTH! Loved it! Bono mentioned that majority of us held on to our original tickets (from 2009), I don't know if he was referring to the tour in general, or specifically for Philadelphia. And he mentioned about the special connection the band has with their audience. It was really great to hear him acknowledge us and he ended the segment with his usual "Thank you for giving us a great life"

My friend Connie (lovezeuser) and I got to meet with Phil, Dallas, and took a picture with Stu. It was a mini meet & greet with the techs. It amuses me how these techs are starting to adopt the mannerisms of the band members they work for. I mean Dallas has always been very friendly and very cool, like The Edge, who would always be the first one to make a beeline towards the gathered crowd and start shaking people's hands. Dallas takes the time to read your signs (even if they were made for U2, not him, he likes reading them and acknowledging them). Phil manages to always look confused. Just like Bono. :lol: But very generous. Like Bono again.

Stu has even grown more flirtatious and showy now. He poses for pictures on the catwalk, and when we met him yesterday, he was reserved (he looked like he was waiting for somebody) but he obliged our request to pose for pictures with him with a 1000-watt smile. Just like Adam would.

And Sam? Sam was nowhere to be found. Sound familiar??? :lol:

Enjoyed the show last night. It was a good show. Not great but a solid performance. I think I've been spoiled by some amazing U2 shows and I always end up comparing performances to them so its not really fair of me to do that.

I took a couple of younger family members who had never been to a U2 show and they were completly blown away. Obviously they had never seen anything like this in their lives. It was great to watch it with someone who's experiencing U2 for the first time.

I had seats but they were great seats. I was in the first row around the 50 yard line on Adams side. So it was as close to the stage as you can get with seats without being GA

They were filming the performance last night, which was a surprise to me !!

One of the highlights for me was Zooropa. I loved it that the band just retreats inside the cocoon of the screen and you barely even see them but are just experiencing the music and the Claw. Unfortunately, most of the public decided that was a good song to sit down to or take a bathroom break.

Magnificent was another nice surprise. Especially since it was the original version and not the remix. That was a little something for the Philly fans I guess because they were completly left out when U2 was actually promoting NLOTH. I wish it had not come at the expense of The Fly however. The Fly is such a great live song and it really pumps up the crowd too.

The weather was spectacular and after the last week of the intense heat wave it was a great evening to be under the stars on a summer evening with a cool breeze and an awesome Moon rising just over the Claw.

I took a few pictures which I'll post a bit later.

One of the highlights for me was Zooropa. I loved it that the band just retreats inside the cocoon of the screen and you barely even see them but are just experiencing the music and the Claw. Unfortunately, most of the public decided that was a good song to sit down to or take a bathroom break.
I posted the same thing on my Facebook! During Zooropa everyone around me (Except for the guy next to me) sat down! First I was annoyed and angry that I was surrounded by people who do not understand the significance of this song being played here(!!), but then I realized that hey, for the first time that night, I had an unrestricted view of the stage and the band, since everyone in front of me sat down, so I started taking a video of it. Haha! Thank you, clueless people!

I Will Follow is for sure the best second song - Saw many 360 shows and this was one of the best!
I have to disagree with you. I like IWF, but The Fly as a follow up song after EBTTRT would have been MAGNIFICENT!! Ha! :wink:

Anyone get pics of the meet and greet? First Bono said he couldn't stop and sign... then he stopped and signed. LOL.

typical Bono, can't say no to the fans. :)

I missed the meet and greet. But I got to know someone there who got a kiss from Bono and her son got an autograph on his hat. Her husband gave me the picture he took of Bono. I have to ask permission from them to post that though, since it's not mine.

I also have pictures of the techs, Phil, Dallas and Stu. They came out various times after the band soundcheck.

Great show, got off to a very strong start. They were gracious that we all held onto out tickets for 2 years. Seemed very packed and everyone seemed very excited. Perfect weather, no problems with the staff like in Baltimore, I could feel the brotherly love. Except for the clingy chatty drunk woman I had to fight off who would just... not... go... away.

Interpol was awesome too, I'm a big fan and they did a great job.

My son asked Bono to sign his shirt and Bono signed his shirt, photo and hat. My son actually cried because he didnt want his Phillies hat signed. LOL. He also gave Bono a Phillies hat. It was his fav World series 2008 collectors hat. So now I have to find one on Ebay or something because now he can never wear it again. People were offering him money to buy that hat... and he declined. Once people were high fiving him over getting the hat signed he was cool with it. Bono signed a pic I took of him 2 years ago, he asked where the pic was from because he had the same shirt on! He said after 2 years he should have gotten a new shirt. I couldn't take a lot of pics because the guys behind me kept putting their albums over my head and in front of my camera. Quit annoying. But I got a few good ones. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how.

Everything hurts...so it must have been good!!!

Despite my getting older, I can never resist general admission for a U2 show, and this one reminded me why! Bono doesn't lie when he shares his beliefs on the bond that these four guys have with their fans. I stood a few feet back from the railing on the outside of the circle for this one, and enjoyed as Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry (with Djembe in tow) came around time and time again to walk through "the house".

The set list was a really neat mix of old and new, radio hits and not, groovy and...er, less than groovy...it was a good balance for a packed house that had been waiting a long time (both for the show and in the show).

The treat of the night for me was Zooropa. I'm one of those guys that loved both Pop and Zooropa albums, maybe because you sometimes need some levity from all this serious stuff...but was disappointed to be the only one within 25 feet that seemed to know the words, breaks, etc - especially so close to the stage. Well, I won't judge my fellow fans.

One other highlight - I think Bono really nailed Miss Sarejevo - both the contemporary and opera parts. That's a gorgeous song - again likely not known or really appreciated by many in the audience. In fact, it practically brings me to tears live - which is not easily done. Just a comment on how powerful these guys were at times last night.

Hopefully the ringing in my ears subsides before I head to Giants stadium next week. Maybe I'll stand toward the back and let others experience the railing areas. Sad to see "Number of Cities Left: 5" on the scroll before they took the stage. Not sure what bugged me more - that statistic or the ones that make your realize the impact we have on the earth and each other.

Nice show, pretty energetic crowd...worth the wait(s)...

NJRT:applaud:

A night of many tales... considering I wasn't even supposed to be headed that way... phenomenal.

I'll throw up the videos when they're finished uploading (for some reason they've been going for 10 hours and only half of them are up...?).

I really enjoyed the show. That was a rip roaring version of I Will Follow. I missed The Fly, but was able to get that in Baltimore, so it was nice to hear Magnificent for the first time.

When the show is playing in a venue that big, there is a huge number of people there who know Bloody Sunday, Streets, Pride, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and thats it.

Wish the people were a little more into Zooropa, and the stuff from NLOTH.

Had so much fun at the show! I did my first GA and loved it! There were a couple things that happened that "tried to knock me out" (dehydration, sunburn, sore back, etc) but I stood through it for as long as I could hold out. Met a few Interference members and stood beside LuckyNumber7. Ended up in the inner circle one person off the rail on Edge's side. I needed to take the rail to lean against as I got more dehydrated, which was right around the end of Miss Sarajevo. So I had a rail spot during Zooropa, which was a sort of miracle as it's something I wanted to have happen. To visualize the screen down like that, I just stood in awe! :love: Zooropa was one of the highlights. The beginning was so full of energy in the inner circle when they came out with Even Better Than the Real Thing and I Will Follow. I was jumping up and down and shouting the words as much as I could. During COBL there was a guy between the rail and the stage with a camera for the crew and he took a photo of me while I was screaming "Oh you look so beautiful, tonight" during COBL. :lol: Oh and I got to hear my all time favorite U2 song: Stay (Faraway, So Close!). It was a beautiful moment because I'd wanted to see the song for such a long time and I finally did get to, even if it was acoustic. I did finally get to see them play I Will Follow also. I was a little pissed they didn't play The Fly like they'd been doing before but I enjoyed the show none the less. Got to be really close to Bono and Edge and it was all fun. Was right under Edge during Sunday Bloody Sunday and he gave me a few glances. I noticed he closed his eyes and smiled right as he went into his guitar solo.

Next time around I'll definitely have some sunblock. What a fail on my part.:doh: I was sad to leave the stadium and Philadelphia and head back home but all good things come to an end I suppose. The tour is almost finished and I am getting all teary eyed.:sad: I hope to do it all again on the next tour. Now to prepare my review and to begin healing my sunburned knees and neck. Owie.

hurricane said:
Anyone get pics of the meet and greet? First Bono said he couldn't stop and sign... then he stopped and signed. LOL.

I got video of it on my YouTube page
YouTube.com/smbonneau

LuckyNumber7 said:
The show was definitely oversold for GA.... which would explain why so many tickets were for sale for near face value leading towards the days of the concert.

Yeah it was chaos at the back of the circle, it looked alright up towards the front, you guys were jumping all night..wanted to be up there but slept in haha

Also there was a bit of a pile up once the line got let in as they only had like a single file door for the field, which wouldn't have affected those first in line but it was a bit annoying

I posted the same thing on my Facebook! During Zooropa everyone around me (Except for the guy next to me) sat down! First I was annoyed and angry that I was surrounded by people who do not understand the significance of this song being played here(!!), but then I realized that hey, for the first time that night, I had an unrestricted view of the stage and the band, since everyone in front of me sat down, so I started taking a video of it. Haha! Thank you, clueless people!:

Same thing happend in East Lansing, people sat down during Zooropa, Stay & Miss Sarajevo. I was a little surprised, but like you said had a great view for those few times. Hopefully the people behind me weren't too upset because I remained standing. . . I did try and stay to the aisle though for them.

Show was great. . . First time in the ga and the experience was like no other. The wait was very long in line and it was rather hot that day, but worth every second of it. First concert ever for my daugther and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. She had a superb time and sang her heart out. I guess you can say now she is hooked. . . a total U2 fan after seeing how amazing they are.

Don't have a ton of pictures but I'm too busy/lazy to put them up right now.... here's one.

interfr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom