July 11, 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,343
Local Time: 06:09 PM
July 11, 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON

Post your experiences, reviews and photos here.

Please upload your photos to our gallery

July 11, 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto Canada - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)
__________________

__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:09 PM
Enjoyed the show! I had no expectations, because I've been too busy to pay attention to anything. I'm kind of happy about that, though, because there were quite a few years where I missed being surprised.

I had to work, so no waiting in line, but I still easily managed to be very close to the front and centre. Can't wait for the next tour!
__________________

melon is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Refugee
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,256
Local Time: 09:09 PM
We got totally screwed.

We got there at 5:45AM the day of the show, and got numbers 292 and 293. We were later re-numbered to 248 and 249 because people bailed on the line, or people who were having spots held didn't show. The line was actually really well managed, and security was really good about kicking out line jumpers, of which there were quite a few. I think because it was a Monday show, and a lot of people had to work, it increased the number of line jumpers.

Once we got in, it was a different story. Even with somewhat decent numbers (numbers similar to these had gotten us good spots on the outer rail in the past), this time the outer rail was pretty full. I think people have learned that it's the place to be. Given the lack of outer rail and the emptiness of the pit, we decided to try for outside rail in the pit.

This seemed like it was going to work out really well at first, because we had a group of short people who were right in front of us, and we could see over their heads. The problems came later on, when the pit started to get packed in like sardines. Later arrivals started to panic, and they started to think of excuses for jamming into the mess (I'm looking for my wife/gf/bf/dog/cat/ferret/etc).

We were with our friend Lisa, and both her and Jess sat down to take up more space. I didn't, as I figured we were packed in enough already, but then two kids (I'm old enough to call a 20-yr-old a kid now) who were doing the "Just passing through" thing ended up stopping right in front of us. And by in front of us I mean that his ass was pressing against my crotch. I told him he had to move but he lied clumsily, trying to pretend that he had been there the whole time. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was really sheepish about it. I could have easily "relocated" him, but most of the things I could think of would have probably gotten me ejected from the stadium. So I sat down like Jess and Lisa and forced him forward a few inches at a time, until I had space.

More drama ensued when another group of people did the "just passing through" thing, only to run out of anywhere to go while literally straddling us. They ended up being pretty cool people later on (I ended up making peace with them so we could relax and enjoy the show), but they were initially pretty obnoxious. Since they were having a hard time jamming in front of us, they decided that WE should stand up to give THEM more room. I pointed out that we had been there since 5:45AM and if they had wanted better spots they should have gotten their a bit earlier than 6PM.

The guy tried to argue that anyone arriving at 6PM had the exact same right to the exact same spot as someone who had waited all day. You can guess how that went over. Then the girl tried to get security to make us stand up. The guy tried to argue that us sitting down was a safety hazard, which was pretty much like arguing that a speed bump is a safety hazard because you could crash if you hit it while doing 90mph through a neighborhood. The security guard told him to suck it up.

We stayed seated which probably prevented even more people from jamming in, but the damage was done. All the Last Minute Joes were 6'2"+ and both Jess and Lisa's views were totally blocked. As the show progressed, crotch-to-ass guy moved around so he could push his ass against me again (I guess he was into that) so I just kept "accidentally" kicking the back of his ankles.

It was a pity that Jess missed most of here last GA of the tour because of this fiasco, but I guess it's taught us that you should avoid the pit if you're shorter than 6'2 and don't like crotch-to-ass contact.
cydewaze is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Great overall show, but a bit of a predictable setlist. The performance and sound were generally excellent, although there was a bit of an echo from the back corners. I hadn't been to Rogers before, but it's a good, intimate venue for the 360 show. I prefer the layouts where people can stand behind the Red Zones, as is the case here. I don't envy those who paid for the premium seats, as those are far away. The crowd on the field was good, although there were a few groups of drunk line dancers (wtf?).
ntalwar is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 08:09 PM
crotch to ass contact
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: B-Town
Posts: 301
Local Time: 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
We got totally screwed.

We got there at 5:45AM the day of the show, and got numbers 292 and 293. We were later re-numbered to 248 and 249 because people bailed on the line, or people who were having spots held didn't show. The line was actually really well managed, and security was really good about kicking out line jumpers, of which there were quite a few. I think because it was a Monday show, and a lot of people had to work, it increased the number of line jumpers.

Once we got in, it was a different story. Even with somewhat decent numbers (numbers similar to these had gotten us good spots on the outer rail in the past), this time the outer rail was pretty full. I think people have learned that it's the place to be. Given the lack of outer rail and the emptiness of the pit, we decided to try for outside rail in the pit.

This seemed like it was going to work out really well at first, because we had a group of short people who were right in front of us, and we could see over their heads. The problems came later on, when the pit started to get packed in like sardines. Later arrivals started to panic, and they started to think of excuses for jamming into the mess (I'm looking for my wife/gf/bf/dog/cat/ferret/etc).

We were with our friend Lisa, and both her and Jess sat down to take up more space. I didn't, as I figured we were packed in enough already, but then two kids (I'm old enough to call a 20-yr-old a kid now) who were doing the "Just passing through" thing ended up stopping right in front of us. And by in front of us I mean that his ass was pressing against my crotch. I told him he had to move but he lied clumsily, trying to pretend that he had been there the whole time. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was really sheepish about it. I could have easily "relocated" him, but most of the things I could think of would have probably gotten me ejected from the stadium. So I sat down like Jess and Lisa and forced him forward a few inches at a time, until I had space.

More drama ensued when another group of people did the "just passing through" thing, only to run out of anywhere to go while literally straddling us. They ended up being pretty cool people later on (I ended up making peace with them so we could relax and enjoy the show), but they were initially pretty obnoxious. Since they were having a hard time jamming in front of us, they decided that WE should stand up to give THEM more room. I pointed out that we had been there since 5:45AM and if they had wanted better spots they should have gotten their a bit earlier than 6PM.

The guy tried to argue that anyone arriving at 6PM had the exact same right to the exact same spot as someone who had waited all day. You can guess how that went over. Then the girl tried to get security to make us stand up. The guy tried to argue that us sitting down was a safety hazard, which was pretty much like arguing that a speed bump is a safety hazard because you could crash if you hit it while doing 90mph through a neighborhood. The security guard told him to suck it up.

We stayed seated which probably prevented even more people from jamming in, but the damage was done. All the Last Minute Joes were 6'2"+ and both Jess and Lisa's views were totally blocked. As the show progressed, crotch-to-ass guy moved around so he could push his ass against me again (I guess he was into that) so I just kept "accidentally" kicking the back of his ankles.

It was a pity that Jess missed most of here last GA of the tour because of this fiasco, but I guess it's taught us that you should avoid the pit if you're shorter than 6'2 and don't like crotch-to-ass contact.
Sorry to hear your experience was less than good. Its a shame.

Had a similar experience last night also. Was in the Red Zone on Adam's side. Wife and I arrived approx 6pm - spots against the rail were already taken - no worries, we were second from the rail.

The real "fun" came when during the time gap between Interpol and U2, a couple decided to go up to the rail to say hello to so-called "friends". While they did know the ppl on the rail, I seen what was gonna happen.

Being burned too many times before, I stood my ground and spoke up. The dick with the two beers decided he was gonna be a 'big boy' and tempted me to fight.

Funny thing is (and a big shout out to the couple behind me re: husband was a lawyer to boot ) - all of a sudden I had like 4 more ppl speak up to dickhead and told him to get back. He clearly thought he could get away with it and was sent with his tail between his legs along with the tart of a girlfriend, who also challenged the lady behind me to fight but "next Tuesday" - I guess her appointment book was filled with fights already for this week.

Dude was still prompting and calling me to go to the back edge of the Red Zone to fight.
If you are out there, I would be more than happy to accomodate your request - BRING IT!

Its sad but these things happen. Love how ppl think they can show up right before and squeeze in at the last moment. Well not this time.

Then had 2 women half-way through the show had the nerve to ask if they could get up to the rail for "their turn"
Burlington77 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
War Child
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 975
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Awesome show, bono was toally into the fans in the elipse by our area. we were 4 rows back from the front of stage. just besides u2brother with mirror ball hat and miroslava, kevin, dayna and her freind. to me this was the best show in toronto yet
smileymbcastard is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
War Child
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 975
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Long review to come as i want to write about my experiences from wednesday to monday night
smileymbcastard is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: B-Town
Posts: 301
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymbcastard View Post
Awesome show, bono was toally into the fans in the elipse by our area. we were 4 rows back from the front of stage. just besides u2brother with mirror ball hat and miroslava, kevin, dayna and her freind. to me this was the best show in toronto yet
OMG I think I seen that dude in the mirror ball hat! He was off-center towards Adam right?
Burlington77 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: canada
Posts: 151
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Had a great time last night. Took my 10 year old to her first show and it was fantastic. The crowd around us was really into it and seemed to enjoy every song. The heat was brutal and I am amazed they can perform so well under some of these conditions. I sang and danced to everysong and had the best time yet at a U2 concert. I did miss Magnificent and Bullet, but all the songs sounded great!!
ulove2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Great overall show, but a bit of a predictable setlist. The performance and sound were generally excellent, although there was a bit of an echo from the back corners. I hadn't been to Rogers before, but it's a good, intimate venue for the 360 show. I prefer the layouts where people can stand behind the Red Zones, as is the case here. I don't envy those who paid for the premium seats, as those are far away. The crowd on the field was good, although there were a few groups of drunk line dancers (wtf?).
Completely agree. It an identical set to Montreal 1, but a better, more energetic performance by the band. Bono was having fun (which is why I'm surprised there wasn't a little something extra).

Review and videos to come. The Hilton's WiFi absolutely sucks and kicks you off if you are dormant for a moment, so no uploading anything substantial until I get home Wednesday.

Wish I had gotten to meet a few more people, but it was very difficult because of it being a Monday night and so many of us were coming in from Montreal. I haven't seen RyanCoke71 since Friday.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,651
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Enjoyed the show! I had no expectations, because I've been too busy to pay attention to anything. I'm kind of happy about that, though, because there were quite a few years where I missed being surprised.

I had to work, so no waiting in line, but I still easily managed to be very close to the front and centre. Can't wait for the next tour!
melon!!
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,244
Local Time: 06:09 PM
He materializes out of nowhere, makes one post, then returns to Valhalla to feast with his forebears.
No spoken words is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,651
Local Time: 07:09 PM
He's always been a tease.
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,877
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Honestly can't understand why people thought Toronto was better than Montreal 1. The Montreal crowd was a bajillion times better, and Bono's voice was in TOP and I do mean top form. He also did extras in almost every song, something he backed off from a bit in TO. The show was tighter also. There were technical difficulties in TO also, and Bono sounded pretty tuckered by the time the encores started. I'm not saying TO was bad, per se, but it wasn't Montreal 1, which I felt was one of the best U2 shows I've seen.

Anyways it was fun and it was great to see all the old familiar faces again!
__________________

__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!


 



gvox is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com