GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
It's been reported that after some people lined up the day before the show and were numbered. Some late-comer fans then went to security and had the whole line re arranged to their liking on the day of the show -thereby cheating the earlier people out of proper placing.

Details on this anyone?

Who were the parties involved etc?

<>

I remember Rosebowl security, the day of the show, talking to people about the people that came out the night before and got numbered and said whoever numbered those people and gave them bands or whatever, shouldn't have done that.

This is from U2tours...

"First the line fiasco needs to be recorded in detail for history so that true U2 fans are aware of and make sure never happens again. As with nearly every other city where a big U2 show takes place, hardcore committed U2 fans began arriving the day before the show (in fact, one individual arrived Wednesday) to camp out in line overnight, Over the course of the day over 400 people arrived, were numbered and received wristbands in an orderly respectful manner as always. At 7pm, security met with the fans who had worked hard to manage this process throughout the day and told them that security would honor this process and gave "no being on property overnight" instructions for everyone to leave the property and return at 7am Sunday to a specified parking lot area from where the line would be walked to the Field entrance gate at 8am per the published venue statement that the property would open up at 8am. Several amazing fans volunteered to stay up all night to continue giving numbers to anyone who arrived and pass on the information from security on returning at 7am. That's where any measure of integrity and respect ended. Despite security's statement, a new set of people started arriving on property at 5am led by two girls who had printed fake U2 laminates and lied to the new morning security they were official U2 representatives. The new security person on property let them form the line. When the people who had waited all day Saturday arrived at 7am as told, they found a line/mob of over 200+ people who had manipulated security and said "#@$%# you" to the 400+ already numbered linesitters who had arrived a day before them because they were there "first" (the gall to make that self-righteous statement was amazing) and that they had the "official" line. Anyway, instead of doing anything to find a reasonable compromise (i.e. merging the lines) the mob just kept saying "@#@#% you" with security's backing until might made right. It was opposite everything real U2 fans are supposed to represent: fairness, community, respect, intelligence, justice and soul. A sad sad, ugly day in U2 fan lore with a set of selfish, could care less about the U2 community fans and incompetent security all the way through to the dangerous, human crash at the entrance gate when the turnstiles opened. With this recorded let's hope this isn't the future of how the U2 fan community is going to work."

The line had somewhat settled down on Sunday. We were all lined up and numbered at 1pm, BY PASADENA SECURITY. The line had 3,000+ people in it, so not everyone got numbered -- just the first 2,500 or so who were going to get in the inner circle. People continued to arrive for GA throughout the day and went to the back of the line. Pasadena security did very little communication with the line, so many of us didn't know what was happening. Nonetheless, word got out that we should prepare to move at 4:45. However, at 4:15, without warning, the line started moving. People were unprepared, still packing up their stuff, and a stampede broke out for the gate. (One gate for 3,000+ people.) People literally left their stuff behind, and a huge mass of bodies formed at the gate, with hundreds (if not thousands) of people who didn't have numbers and had walked up at 4pm cutting ahead of those who had arrived at 7, 8, or 9 am. It wasn't just a lack of line etiquette (though that was certainly true) -- it was piss-poor planning by the Pasadena people and could have been a serious public safety issue. There was nothing set up at the gate to contain that many people, there was no system in place, and it completely broke down. A lot of people were not only annoyed, but also freaked out.

The only good thing that came out of all of that was that security came along mid-afternoon and kicked the two girls with fake laminates from the very front to the very back of the line :hi5:

What nathan said was pretty much it in a nutshell. Except what I heard was that the girls who tried to pass themselves off as working with U2 with the fake passes arrived at 2:00am, and were allowed to stay, even though there was to be NO CAMPING OUT. The official line-starter, who I believed is named Matt, ended up in the 300-400's in the GA line. He was completely organized and had a full list of 500-600 names he had taken from Saturday/Saturday evening. Unbelieveable that there was no attempt to try & re-organize what was appeared to be orderly sign up/wristbanding from the day before, as had worked at many previous line-ups.

Security = non-existent, and the rush to the gates was :crack: Not only did we see people with numbers above 250 (the first grouping should have been numbered 1-250) get thru in this mad rush, I saw a girl with number 800+ there and was arguing with her, and she was like, 'no, those numbers already went in', and trying to tell me she was with her sister and that I was wrong. Even though everyone behind/around me were in the 300-400s and up. Bitch. Karma will get her. And there were people in the first batch getting in that had no numbers or wristbands. There was no order and no one attempting to create order. Why the hell were we numbered and wristbanded anyway?

I wish they would have paraded those girls around for all of us to see kaffy.

I wish they would have paraded those girls around for all of us to see kaffy.

Yes, they should've walked them all the way down along the GA line. Walk of shame :p

That mad rush when they started letting us in was scary. I hope no one got hurt :huh:

That statement from U2Tours is an accurate account of what happened. By the grace of God, Danielle and I had decided to go put our stuff away early. When we came back we saw the mad rush and luckily found the group of people we were standing with. I think we were 527/8 (according to the Rose Bowl numbering system) and we saw hands with number 1700+ trying to wedge themselves in with us. It continued inside the circle as well. We had people telling us "it would only be fair" to stand in front of us. WTF??

wait, so 2 girls actually made fake laminates that said they work for the band and then started their own GA line??? :doh: and i thought i'd heard everything by this point.... :lol:

The crush was bad. Near 90 degree heat with people jam packed together was just wrong. I'm 6'1" and I had to just tilt my head back and breathe air to just feel like I wasn't going to suffocate.

led by two girls who had printed fake U2 laminates and lied to the new morning security they were official U2 representatives. .

That is just really fucking low.

Stuff like this (and I mean the whole situation, not just those two fuckwads) is why I don't do the big line-up for GA. Too much bullshit, too stressful.

^ My feelings exactly. If the band can figure out a way to beam a live concert to people all over the world, why can't they figure out a way to create a uniform GA system, one that will be used at all venues and prevent this kind of craziness from happening?

I love all of the drama! I went to go see Dan at around 4:30pm or so in the line and saw the mass chaos, and was thrilled to have seats.

The only system that works is the lottery. Because even with a well run "system" people will leave and come back and screw over someone else that has been waiting longer, but just didn't come by the line "earlier" to get their hand numbered.

Whoever started this line nazi stuff in 2001 should be shot.

^ My feelings exactly. If the band can figure out a way to beam a live concert to people all over the world, why can't they figure out a way to create a uniform GA system, one that will be used at all venues and prevent this kind of craziness from happening?

Exactly. Principle Management should organize volunteers formally for each show to organize the line. Promise each volunteer a GA ticket and VIP pass for each show for their efforts, how hard would that be? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I agree with dsmith. By now, they should have found a way to organize the lines. I think it's the least fans deserve after all the effort, time and money they invest in following the band around. This shouldn't be a problem for them considering the huge infrastructure they have for the tour.

From all the concerts I've been to, I never remember a numbering system that actually worked. Lining up early enough AND having a security that is in control of the situation and makes sure everyone gets the spot they deserve is the only thing that really works and makes sense. I've witnessed both chaotic and well organised GA lines. Lottery isn't a solution, it means trying to beat one potentially unfair system with another unfair system. Once you're in the stadium, you'll face a shitload of other problems like cutters, people being assholes, a packed inner circle where you cannot move and so on. So, no matter how early you line up and are in the stadium, there is no guarantee that you will eventually get the best spot. We've discovered that it's best not to put that much stress upon ourselves. We didn't line up at 7 in the morning and still got into the inner circle and once even to the front rail. And I'm certainly not someone who's cutting or fighting my way through to a spot where I don't belong.

I have no idea how the band would organize a volunteer system from show to show, given the massive infrastructure differences at each venue. It would be a cool service for the fans, but I just don't think it's feasible. At the same time, the venue should have been way more coordinated than it was -- again, not just in terms of fan experience, but also in terms of public safety. People got hurt, and that's not cool.

Now granted, I've been at plenty of other U2 shows where the security guys know what they're doing ahead of time, set up metal barriers, keep everyone together, etc. There seemed to be no real attempt to do that by the Rose Bowl people yesterday. The traffic situation last night was atrocious, with no one guiding or directing traffic until the police showed up an hour after the concert was over to do it. As we drove out we noticed all the security people who should have been guiding traffic (all of them 17 year olds, it appeared) hanging out behind a gate, chilling, smoking, waiting to get paid, and leaving the event.

I lay the blame for yesterday at the feet of the Rose Bowl. They knew what was coming; they had plenty of time; they should have been prepared. They were not. Either they wilfully ignored the voices who told them what to expect, or they are incompetent.

I agree with dsmith. By now, they should have found a way to organize the lines. I think it's the least fans deserve after all the effort, time and money they invest in following the band around. This shouldn't be a problem for them considering the huge infrastructure they have for the tour.

It's local security's fault, not the band's if things go wrong. The band has to rely on local security to get their stuff right. There have been many occassions where the house security simply ignored what the band's security were telling them to do. I don't think you can blame U2 for this, I'm sure the band doesn't want anything like this to happen. How should they provide "infrastructure" for this kind of problem?

all of the GA lines that I've been in this tour (4 total) have been well-organized and well-run. the fans at those shows (Dublin 2/3, Chicago 2 and NJ 2) started a list, and worked with venue security to enforce it. Everything ran smoothly, and there wasn't a huge problem with line-cutters or anything like that. Sure, we had to sprint the length of a football field once inside the gates, but before then it was pretty organized.

As for U2, it would be great if they could prepare venues for what to expect in advance-- like, weeks in advance, not the day before (or day of) the show. if the venues actually knew what to expect (ie, that fans WILL try to camp out even if they're told they can't, and that there will be a mad rush when gates open), then maybe they'll be better prepared and things will go smoother.

that being said, U2 has never actually done this. i've done a fair number of GA lines over the course of Elevation, Vertigo and now 360. Most have been very organized lines, with just a couple that got out of control. But every single time I've gotten in the GA line, I've realized that it's a total gamble as to whether it's going to work smoothly. It's pretty stressful, especially right before the gates open. :crack:

Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that U2 has no interest in getting involved with the GA line-- EXCEPT when they got the brilliant idea to scan tickets for the lottery. And even this scanning occurred only *after* the line had already been organized by the fans on their own, which involved skirmishes with security regarding camping, etc. I really do NOT like the lottery, and would much prefer the first-come, first-served system, but I do wish that venue security was a little more "clued in" by U2 security well in advance, so that things could possibly run a bit smoother.

i know some people have tossed around the idea of using Bruce's system (where a number is drawn at random just before doors, and then that number becomes #1, and everyone else in line gets behind that person). i've never experienced it, but it seems just as random as the lottery that was used on Vertigo, so i don't like the idea of it. :(

It's local security's fault, not the band's if things go wrong. The band has to rely on local security to get their stuff right. There have been many occassions where the house security simply ignored what the band's security were telling them to do. I don't think you can blame U2 for this, I'm sure the band doesn't want anything like this to happen. How should they provide "infrastructure" for this kind of problem?

Relax, nobody is blaming the band here. I know it's basically up to local security to manage what goes on outside the stadium, but the band's security should work closely with the local team in order to avoid this kind of mess.

Whats sad is I heard some Interferencers cheated on the line up.
They will remain name less.

<>

If I'm understanding this correctly, there were 500-600 people who lined up the day before?

That's a lot of time on one's hands....honestly it kind of astounds me, but I'm probably the only one. :huh:

The only system that works is the lottery. Because even with a well run "system" people will leave and come back and screw over someone else that has been waiting longer, but just didn't come by the line "earlier" to get their hand numbered.

Whoever started this line nazi stuff in 2001 should be shot.

:up: I don't do GA much, but the concept of general admission is "unreserved seating". Security's job isn't really to enforce line rules, but to keep people safe, etc. Line cutting is rude, but I don't think it's illegal or anything.

I would love it if anyone had photos of the two chicks who claimed to be U2 employees. They should be shamed by other fans at any other show they go to.

I agree that if U2 wanted to, they could work closely with venue security to develop a workable system. The best I ever saw was TDBankNorth Garden in Boston--they honored the fan line, handed out numbered venue wristbands, and policed the line. Still had to camp out, but had the security of knowing the venue wasn't going to screw us over.

The 4pm line was chaos. Somehow the line suddenly crushed up and all hell broke lose. And what's even worse is that security encouraged the number system. They went around with a fan who put numbers on and followed the numbers later on with the wristbands. So it seemed like an orderly system that was supported by security. But then it crashed. I felt bad -- we were 1947 and 1948 but ended up ahead of people who lower numbers. But at that point, you either pushed in to the barricades where you were standing or go to the back of the line. I'm truly sorry we cut in front of people, it wasn't our intention, but we didn't realize how bad things were until after we started talking to people around us in the barricaded area. I will say after that, security sort of got their heads out of their asses by blocking out groups of 500 at a time so people wouldn't stampede to the gate.

Things weren't that much better inside. I don't know what it was but the people around us inside the circle were a mix of great fans and douchebags. Maybe they became emboldened after crashing the GA line and thought they could do whatever they wanted. I had to get bitchy with some stupid girls who decided to push their way right in front of us ten minutes before the band went on -- and who had no numbers on their hands so they were obviously late line crashers. We even saw a guy who somehow got in between the security rail and the catwalk -- where security patrol -- and tried to pay off a security guard to stay there. The guard took his money and told him he had to move.

So yeah, it was alot of stupidity all around. We did four GA NYC/NJ shows on Vertigo and Elevation and never experienced anything this bad. Hell, I even remember the 10/24 MSG show in 2001 where people without numbers were sent to the back of the line by the security handing out wristbands. This was just the complete opposite.

If I'm understanding this correctly, there were 500-600 people who lined up the day before?

That's a lot of time on one's hands....honestly it kind of astounds me, but I'm probably the only one. :huh:

This is what im having trouble with. Why would this many people (or any number for that matter) line up so far in advance, and expect their self appointed numbers to actually count?

If the venue tells you to line up at 6am the day of the show, then thats when you line up. Anything before that should not count. Who do people think they are?

No wonder it was a clusterfuck...

Back
Top Bottom