GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some venues are in cities or are publicly owned. What legal authority does private security have on a public sidewalk or park?

They don't encourage overnight camping though, which is illegal in many cases.

Again, it is LN who executes the show, not PM. PM manages band issues.
The same cluster would arise with private scurity, and there may be legal issues with venue security giving up control to outside security. Venue security is more familiar with their venue. In this case, there seemed to be a crowd control failure - a few hundred people surged forward. They probably needed dozens of extra guards to prevent that.

I doubt LN's security would show up earlier than the line starter or line starters. There are a lot of line issues that are judgment calls (e.g. when someone can return to the line or not). Some venues have multiple lines as well. In the end, it's a $55 ticket which can offer the best view in the house - I think some people lose sight of that.

Again, you're making it far more complicated than it really needs to be.

So the touring/supervising security are hired by LN rather than PM. Fine. the point is, they travel venue to venue, communicate the consistent procedures to local or venue security, and are there in case questions/problems arise.

It pretty much says no camping out for all venues, yet some allowed it, some didn't. Either have security present overnight and allow it, or institute some sort of venue wristbanding and have the numbered, wristbanded people come back at whatever time the next day. This is far superior to the line nazi method, because the venue actually have the authority to carry it out and enforce it. And this is also where consistency comes in - if fans know of the rules and procedures ahead of time, and that they will be upheld by security, there is far less room to argue or to try to bend the rules. Everyone is subject to the same rules, therefore, there's no room for complaint.

What real legal authority do security have in any situation? At best, they can remove people. If things get escalate, they almost always have to call the police, anyway.

All but one of the 10 lines I've been in so far on the past two tours have been great, there were very few problems, with the exception of one line. The difference all of those 9 times is really great venue/local security who worked in conjunction with the line nazis.

Anyway, I still really don't see where it would be that difficult. The two key things are consistent rules so that fans know ahead of time what to expect, and security present who know exactly what those rules are so they can enforce them if need be. It would make things run so much more smoothly, and avoid problems like we've seen at times this tour and last tour, and make it a much safer environment.

:up:

In Vancouver, I left the pit to check out the last two songs from the soundboard area. It was awesome there.

Agreed. I went to Toronto 1 and lined up to watch the show from the front row.

For Toronto 2, I decided to bring a bunch of friends and just go in the venue when we wanted. We ended up an the back moving from the soundboard up. It was amazing and lot of room to :dance:

None of those things you mentioned are fair.

First of all, so? I mean, it isn't as if tickets come with some kind of guarantee of "fair" access to your ideal spot on the field.

Second, fair is a subjective concept. While you may think that fair = people who sleep outside for 3 days go in the front row, others might think that a random lottery helps fans who don't see 20 shows in a single tour have a chance at the front rather than it being the same travelling group that you see over and over again.

Springsteen lottery + printing out a couple of thousand wristbands (which is entirely doable) would be my ideal.

Can anyone explain how the Springsteen lottery works? :hmm:
Thanks!

I have to say I like it the way it is on this tour - I didn't get beeped into the ellipse in 9 shows on Vertigo yet in Vegas I arrived at 3:30pm and got second row in front of Adam.
People can get a good spot without having to line up - sounds 'fair' to me :)

Rose Bowl GA Line Disaster

I think Live Nation needs to hear from allot of people in the form of letters (the snail mail type). The more people the better. They need to hear about how disrespectful the the lack of planning and crowd control was to U2 fans. Live Nation knows that these shows are much larger than the previous arena tours and they should provide appropriate security and line barricades. The only chance things will change for future shows is if they hear from enough people who were there and experienced this truely frightening and frustrating situation.

THIS JUST IN....third leg will be sponsored by Live Nation AND US ARMY. Crowd control will be provided by tanks and Attack helicopters. if crowd becomes unruly tanks will fire one warning shot. If crowd continues to be unruly tanks will have "okay" to shoot into the crowd. Also attack helicopters will have orders to firebomb the crowd if it attempts to disperse. Any sudden movement(s) from crowd will be taken as a hostile act. Hostile acts will result in all out warfare. This could get ugly...

napalm-DM-SD-04-00733.jpg

nobody better cut next year

-dan

I'm thinking microchips or electronic ankle bracelets for all in the GA lines. Maybe even a little zapper electrode too, so if people got out of hand they could be "corrected."

I volunteer to deliver the "corrections." :evil:

"Hey, you! Yeah, you. Thought you'd just sneak off, get some food and a shower, and then get your same spot back, did ya? Not in THIS line, sweetie. Get to the back of the line. NOW!!!!" zzzzaaapppp!!! :evil: :lol:

While I appreciate the levity of the last few posts, this could have been a very, very bad situation as many have already said. However, I think I might prefer that the guy behind me in line be allowed to go home for a shower! :yuck: Of course, for me this will never be an issue; I'm too short and unathletic to ever get in a GA line! :p

I think Live Nation needs to hear from allot of people in the form of letters (the snail mail type). The more people the better. They need to hear about how disrespectful the the lack of planning and crowd control was to U2 fans. Live Nation knows that these shows are much larger than the previous arena tours and they should provide appropriate security and line barricades. The only chance things will change for future shows is if they hear from enough people who were there and experienced this truely frightening and frustrating situation.

If the intention is to get a lottery implemented for the next leg then yes keep complaining about what happened at this show.

Thanks!

He gives out a fixed amount of numbered pit wristbands throughout the day (until they're all given out). At a predetermined time a number is called and that number becomes number one in line.

You need to get the stadium early enough to get one of these wristbands, if not you have zero chance to get in the pit.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have to say I like it the way it is on this tour - I didn't get beeped into the ellipse in 9 shows on Vertigo yet in Vegas I arrived at 3:30pm and got second row in front of Adam.
People can get a good spot without having to line up - sounds 'fair' to me :)

Where u with a few other Canadians in Vegas. I was the Scottish guy in front of you guys or maybe not.

He gives out a fixed amount of numbered pit wristbands throughout the day (until they're all given out). At a predetermined time a number is called and that number becomes number one in line.

You need to get the stadium early enough to get one of these wristbands, if not you have zero chance to get in the pit.

U2 could easily print more wristbands, or even print numbers on the tickets. Then at 5 pm, pick a number, if they pick #1254, that becomes #1, 1255 is #2, and onward. Original #1 lines up after the last wristband. Only the people present at 5 pm are lined up in this sequential order and let into the stadium. People straggling in late, like at 6:30 or whatever, take up spots wherever they please, as is the case now anyway.

There would be no reason to sleep outside whatsoever, because having an early number wouldn't mean a thing since they could easily pick #4099 to go in first.

Frankly I don't really care what is done, as I had no problem getting the spot I wanted even though I came at 6:30ish both times I saw them on this tour. But at least this system would be totally random and you bet there would be no further sleeping on pavement, etc.

U2 could easily print more wristbands, or even print numbers on the tickets. Then at 5 pm, pick a number, if they pick #1254, that becomes #1, 1255 is #2, and onward. Original #1 lines up after the last wristband. Only the people present at 5 pm are lined up in this sequential order and let into the stadium. People straggling in late, like at 6:30 or whatever, take up spots wherever they please, as is the case now anyway.

There would be no reason to sleep outside whatsoever, because having an early number wouldn't mean a thing since they could easily pick #4099 to go in first.

Frankly I don't really care what is done, as I had no problem getting the spot I wanted even though I came at 6:30ish both times I saw them on this tour. But at least this system would be totally random and you bet there would be no further sleeping on pavement, etc.

a system like this would have me buying seats instead of GA.

Georgia Dome GA line

This thread is way too long to read (sorry), so I don't know if anyone has mentioned the GA line-up at the Georiga Dome. Other than the fact that campers were allowed (contrary to the Dome website), the GA line-up went without a hitch (that I saw). I arrived at 8am day of the show, there were a little over 200 people ahead of me, and security was everypresent, and very polite. I was fairly impressed. There was no mad rush until we were actually let in the doors, and still security was everywhere saying 'walk! don't run!' Didn't really matter, as I ended up standing right next to a guy on the rail who got there at 5pm, but at least the crowd control was good.

goat

U2 could easily print more wristbands, or even print numbers on the tickets. Then at 5 pm, pick a number, if they pick #1254, that becomes #1, 1255 is #2, and onward. Original #1 lines up after the last wristband.

hell.to.the.no

Frankly I don't really care what is done, as I had no problem getting the spot I wanted even though I came at 6:30ish both times I saw them on this tour.

exactly. but people start to freak out because THEY HAVE TO GET INTO THE PIT!!!!! and they don't think they are going to unless they (a) camp out or (b) rush the line.

i have less of a problem with people getting there at 2a than i do camping out (because the stadium has rules against that) or 'getting a number a day early and coming back at 7a'.

i also believe more in the 'get to know your neighbor'-system than the 'write a number on your hand and write your name in a book'-system.

-dan

Pop quiz for the inner circle

I was at the Rose Bowl and ended up in the crush. I was 1250, and saw folks in th 1900s to the left side of us. It seemed as though some of the folks that had just gotten the bands at the back crossed the parking and went straight to the gate which edged a lot of us that were in the line back.

I'd suggest some sort of test of band knowledge for access to the inner circle. The lottery has sucked for me. Hell, bring in Alex Trebek and pass out a quiz and some scantrons. Don't know Bono's real name?....back of the line.

It may seem elitist, but reward the band geek not the pushy a-hole.

I was at the Rose Bowl and ended up in the crush. I was 1250, and saw folks in th 1900s to the left side of us. It seemed as though some of the folks that had just gotten the bands at the back crossed the parking and went straight to the gate which edged a lot of us that were in the line back.

I'd suggest some sort of test of band knowledge for access to the inner circle. The lottery has sucked for me. Hell, bring in Alex Trebek and pass out a quiz and some scantrons. Don't know Bono's real name?....back of the line.

scantrons :love:

Although, It's been proven that I don't test well.

I like the idea of the quiz. I suck at exams, and can't remember what my wife asked me to pick up at the store this morning, but I can tell you the relevance of "The Hype" and "Feedback."

I'm not sure what other signs of fandom could be used???

i think that's a terrible idea. for starters it suggests that "real" (wank wank) fans only want to be a the front of ga, and there aren't any in the seats, etc - ie just happy to be in the same building.

Really? fill the pit full of obsessive / compulsive freaks who have no life?

:wink:

Okay seriously though, thats an awful idea. Why should someone have to be a "superfan" to be allowed into the pit. This entitlement notion has really gone way too far here...its bringing out the absolute worst in some people as seen by the Rose Bowl incident.

Its very simple, you show up in line, get your wrist band, you get inside and get your spot. No test, no pushing and shoving, no violence, no camping out overnight, no special privledged numbering system that start two days before the show, etc.

If this thread is any indication, for every Rose Bowl security person who screwed this thing up, there's easily 2 or 3 fans that did the very same thing. People should be willing to accept the blame themselves instead of just blaming everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom