GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:giggle:

... i'm not happy with security.... they were supposed to let me in first with the wheelchairs because of my disability, they let in wheelchairs but not me, said they were going to, but then the crowd got let in and it was chaos, everyone running in around me .....the blue shirt head of security guy lied to me.

i got down there in pit an some people let me get on rail (i need to lean on it to rest my back) cuz they knew security messed up.... last time i see a show at Rose Bowl or do GA in LA!!!

I have always hated LA people in general cuz of their attitudes (but not u2 fans ).. not going to name names but other fans were being rude an this LA guy was trying to start a fight with my friend.. a girl was crying in pit next to me.. it was BAD.. .

the show was good but the chaos leading up to it wasn't..

u2 really needs to bring back the people who ran the vertigo lines minus the lottery.

Sorry about what happened, Jesse. :hug: It was great to meet you on Saturday!

Maryann, not sure why. Security was ran by monkeys it seems. They might have thought I wasn't affected much because i wasn't in a chair. They let me in Phoenix with a person in a chair so i don't understand why the Rose Bowl did not.

Just because you're not in a chair??? wtf? Monkeys are far more intelligent and organized than the ppl running security at that place. And yes, it was lovely meeting you in person, even if you are a SunDevil!

My girlfriend and I decided if we see them in Anaheim we're just going to get assigned seats. Arriving at 7:30am and sitting in the sun all day to then try and keep up with a herd of people again trying to get into a stadium at the same time just isn't worth it again.

My girlfriend and I decided if we see them in Anaheim we're just going to get assigned seats. Arriving at 7:30am and sitting in the sun all day to then try and keep up with a herd of people again trying to get into a stadium at the same time just isn't worth it again.

OC is all dignified. That won't happen here.

:shifty:

... i'm not happy with security.... they were supposed to let me in first with the wheelchairs because of my disability, they let in wheelchairs but not me, said they were going to, but then the crowd got let in and it was chaos, everyone running in around me .....the blue shirt head of security guy lied to me.

i got down there in pit an some people let me get on rail (i need to lean on it to rest my back) cuz they knew security messed up.... last time i see a show at Rose Bowl or do GA in LA!!!

I have always hated LA people in general cuz of their attitudes (but not u2 fans ).. not going to name names but other fans were being rude an this LA guy was trying to start a fight with my friend.. a girl was crying in pit next to me.. it was BAD.. .

the show was good but the chaos leading up to it wasn't..

u2 really needs to bring back the people who ran the vertigo lines minus the lottery.

Wow, that was bad. :( Sorry to hear that, Jesse.

12pm Pasadena - Front of GA line

206d9up.jpg

Not sure if the girl sitting on the left in the USC cap is one of the evil duo.... she turned her head as I snapped this photo.

NO!! LOL I know her... she definitely is not part of th evil duo. That's allI want to add. -DD*

Not to stir things up, but the line nazis are ridiculous, and that goes back to Elevation. Breaking the rules of the venue and making unofficial numbered places in line means *nothing*. Of course security is going to disregard some fan-made system. If you want to get in line, follow the rules and line up the morning of.

Not to stir things up, but the line nazis are ridiculous, and that goes back to Elevation. Breaking the rules of the venue and making unofficial numbered places in line means *nothing*. Of course security is going to disregard some fan-made system. If you want to get in line, follow the rules and line up the morning of.

So I guess what you're saying is that neither line should have been honored, since both lines were formed before the morning of? In this case the venue decided to honor one unofficial line over another. I guess they should have done all or nothing.

So I guess what you're saying is that neither line should have been honored, since both lines were formed before the morning of? In this case the venue decided to honor one unofficial line over another.

From a literal stand point, yes, neither should have been technically honored.

BUT, the second line was already "in place" what would have security done? Ok guys I want you to all head back to the curb and when my watch hits 7am you can all race back here to form a line?

From a literal stand point, yes, neither should have been technically honored.

BUT, the second line was already "in place" what would have security done? Ok guys I want you to all head back to the curb and when my watch hits 7am you can all race back here to form a line?

I was specifically responding to a particular poster's comments which I interpreted as inferring that somehow the second line was more legitimate than the first when as far as I'm concerned it wasn't. The second line formed at 2AM; that was well earlier than the "agreed" upon time. If we're going to get technical, security shouldn't have allowed either line. That's all I'm saying.

And as you say, the 2nd line was in place, but it had been in place since 2AM with apparently security's blessing.

I have been saying for years now that they should move to a Springsteen lottery system and I stand by it.

The lining up has gotten completely absurd. The idea that there were many HUNDRED people at a venue 24 hrs in advance is about 10 sorts of weird to say the least. Particularly at a tour where fans have consistently been able to get into the inner circle between 6-7 pm.

I have been saying for years now that they should move to a Springsteen lottery system and I stand by it.

The lining up has gotten completely absurd. The idea that there were many HUNDRED people at a venue 24 hrs in advance is about 10 sorts of weird to say the least. Particularly at a tour where fans have consistently been able to get into the inner circle between 6-7 pm.

Given the fact that many people have contacted Principle and U2 security about the Rose Bowl fiasco, I would be not at all surprised to see a Springsteen lottery for the next U.S. leg. I don't like the randomness of it, personally, but it would prevent the huge overnight line-ups.

I truly hope they move to a lottery system. It really is the only fair way. Local security just can't be counted on to follow the rules.

Also, the GA entry to the stadium in Phoenix and LA was just downright dangerous.

Given the fact that many people have contacted Principle and U2 security about the Rose Bowl fiasco, I would be not at all surprised to see a Springsteen lottery for the next U.S. leg. I don't like the randomness of it, personally, but it would prevent the huge overnight line-ups.

*Ally*,

Is this true, Principle has been contacted over this incident?

<>

i dunno, im sorry this happened, of course. But seriously if the GA/venue rules state no camping out and line up at 6/7 am or whatever then that is when the line and numbering starts. Not 2 am, and definitely not some 400 people on saturday.

My apologies to all because i don't want to offend, but if someone goes from #2 to #400 does it really make a difference? You will still get that spot you want considering the pit holds 2500 people and the rail is pretty big. I know its the principle of it all, but still. If i showed up at 7 am and was first in line per the rules and then suddenly 400 or 600 people cut in front of me out of nowhere because they lined up and made up their own numbers the day before in a parking lot across the street i would be upset with that. Its really no different than people here who felt betrayed because some crap line that started at 2am.

Bottom line, nobody was killed or got hurt, right? Everyone got to see a great show hopefully. Greatest show on earth at that. I would not let that sour my experience. Both of my shows the line went very smooth. In Dallas we got in line around 5 and made our way into the pit, Norman we could have done the same but we got in line at noon and still had basically the same spot in the pit as we had in Dallas. Everybody was calm and laid back and security was very professional.

Hopefully this "debacle" doesn't hurt us all in future shows, like the lottery or whatever. Luckily nobody did get hurt. I guess the future really does need a big kiss. :|

Couldn't agree with you more. It is sad that this happened however this doesn't happen that often with U2 crown and I would hate to see future tours changing because if this. This is clearly venue security's problem. No city allows overnight lines (or so the tickets always state) YET it happens. Dublin was like that too (where the no line up is especially strict due to the fact that GA line goes right thru a residential street. BUT if security does it's job then problems like RoseBowl won't occur. The guys who started the line in Dublin pretty much introduced themselves to the security, told them that they were going to start the numbering system (for the first 350 people or so). But the security knew exactly who in fact was the first in line - it is important that the security communicates with the crowd and let you know the 'rules'.... Most U2 fans are civil people and don't kill eachother. If you show up 400th in line, well than that's where your spot is. But because I am (about 1 per tour) willing to wake up at 6am and go stand in line, then I would also like the opportunity to be in the pit, and so does everyone else who is willing to sacrifice their time - a lottery system would ruin that.

Personally, I don't think U2 will implement any lottery next leg. The Springsteen lottery for stadiums only allows for a certain number of wristbands and that would open things up to an entirely different nightmare situation.

I truly hope they move to a lottery system. It really is the only fair way. Local security just can't be counted on to follow the rules.

Also, the GA entry to the stadium in Phoenix and LA was just downright dangerous.

I don't think Phx was 'dangerous'. It was a little sketchy for the first 45 seconds. Then they stopped us, got our ducks in a row and led us down the tunnel slowly. Were you in the first group?

Yes, they should've walked them all the way down along the GA line. Walk of shame :p

That mad rush when they started letting us in was scary. I hope no one got hurt :huh:

Unfortunately 2 women (one right in front of me) got crushed into the divider at the second set of gates On teh side of me I saw another woman get crushed while trying to pass the gate *scary stuff*

A lottery is completely unfair.

I really don't get it, do so many people line up the day before at US shows? I've only seen that happen here at the first show of the tour, Barcelona. Most other shows people just get in early morning somewhere, we don't really have restrictions on how early you're allowed at the venue either.

Still sounds like the big problem at RB was the security. Are they not supposed to be professionals rather than snotty nosed kids? :huh: Especially at a big show like this, get some decent authorized people in!

A lottery is completely unfair.

How is a lottery "completely unfair"?

Unfair to those that want to make up their own rules? (Like lining up early?)
Unfair to those that cut and cheat?
Unfair to those that wait all day, even though showing up at 6-7pm can still get you in the circle?

Posts like yours are silly. The lottery may SUCK, but it's the MOST fair system. Noone is special or has an advantage with the lottery.

Now, this tour was the closest I've ever seen them from a stadium perspective, so I hope nothing changes, but if they went to a lottery system I wouldn't care...

Not weird at all. The problem with RB was that they repeatedly told us to get there early. In fact, the police and LiveNation held a joint press conference on Friday telling fans to get there early. They told us to treat the show as if we were going to the Super Bowl or a BCS championship game. So if you got there at 6, you were probably in traffic for at least an hour before that and couldn't get an inner circle spot. So between the traffic warnings and the DVD taping, the line had more problems to deal with than a typical GA line.

How is a lottery "completely unfair"?

Unfair to those that want to make up their own rules? (Like lining up early?)
Unfair to those that cut and cheat?
Unfair to those that wait all day, even though showing up at 6-7pm can still get you in the circle?

Posts like yours are silly. The lottery may SUCK, but it's the MOST fair system. Noone is special or has an advantage with the lottery.

Now, this tour was the closest I've ever seen them from a stadium perspective, so I hope nothing changes, but if they went to a lottery system I wouldn't care...

It is unfair to those who are dedicated enough to be willing to sacrifice a full day to stay in line to get a good spot. They endure a lot of shit but all in all there should be great spirit in the GA line(which I've experienced every time) and it would be a shame if that were gone.

Posts like yours seem sillier to me. It's not fair at all to give everyone the same chance when some are willing to give much more effort.

If people would just behave, conversations like these should not be necessary. I haven't heard this kind of drama at any of my gigs, nor any others on the first leg. Is that a case for security or a case for more civilised people?

Hmmm!:hmm:

Obviously a lot of us were at the Bowl since Sat, My friend and I drove all morning from Vegas, went home to shower and head out to the Bowl we arrived in the afternoon and of course there was people there and a line being organized got a number 157-8,and since there was no real indication that we could camp out we hung out until like 7pm, after being told that we definately could not camp out but we could come back at 7am, we left.
We did go back once more to see if anything had changed
just to find that a lot more people had showd up and the numbers were in the 400's ((We felt lucky with our numbers)). We went home and came back at 6:30 only to find a LOT of cars!! after the mile treck carring what we could my heart sank to see that there were about 200+people in line already.
I really thought well we have OUR numbers! no problem right?. after setting our things down I took a stroll down the front of line and thats where I hear all the arguing with the secuity about the numbers. I knew then that our numbers were not going to be valid anymore I was given a new number331-2

After the heat and all the bullshit the first secion started to move at about 4:15 it definately was a crushing crowd I could not breathe, so I kept inching my way to the side of the line so I could get some air. I did see a LOT of people cut inand they had numbers in the 1000's!!Security did NOTHING about it! as mentioned the crowd went heartless and wild as soon as the line began to move. I had aleady told my friend that if we get separated we would call each other once we got in. I did not see here again until we were in the inner circle.

Another thing was that while in the circle after U2 came on people barely arriving made there way in blocked our view and invaded whatever little breathing space we had (Thank god I had inside rail)

All ini all it was a FANTASIC show and as for the parking we waiting about 20 minutes before heading to the car and got got out of the whole mess in about 30 mintues (thanks to my impatience and dare-devil driving skills) :D

I think it won't matter if there's a lottery in the sense that there HAS TO BE SECURITY IN PLACE to honor whatever system is set up. No one honored the numbering system that was used on Sunday, no one checked numbers or wristbands, etc. "Security" was NOT concerned about the people or their well-being. Not at all. There has to be some accountability security-wise if they want to make it fair for everyone or for any system to work. Let the band soundcheck earlier so there is plenty of time to let the thousands of people (in this case) waiting in the line ALL DAY to get in. The line would obviously move slower, but so what? There would be no trampling, mad-dash panic, etc. Just filing in in orderly fashion.

My two cents.

hey guys. I was not in Pasadena, but wanted to add my feelings on a lottery: Bad idea.

I've been happy on the outer rail. This has allowed me to line up at 2 or 3 a.m. on the day of the show, instead of hours earlier to get on the front rail. If there was a lottery, I would be forced to show up much earlier, knowing that all of the outer rail spots would be taken by people who didn't scan in.

Back
Top Bottom