GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, by the way, this is hysterical. On ew.com there is a post about the youtube stream and what did people think of it, etc. A couple people commented that the crowd seemed dead. Then one guy says something like - "Well, I think the front ticket people usually are connected in some way to the band, so less enthusiastic" or whatever. I :lmao: . I replied that in fact I was one of those "front ticket holders" and am in no way connected to the band and waited 12 hours in the hot sun and a crazy crush of people to get where I was. Dork. :huh:

A couple observations -

So we know we're still going to be there for a while. Then Magnificent starts and everyone's singing along about "Only love...." and I thought how crazy this was that we're all so pissy at the people next to us yet singing about love.

QUOTE]
see there?

I see this thread as a teaching moment w a 5 <><><><><> rating/ranking.

:hug:

thank u,

<>

here's my solution: never get GA for any LA area show again. i'll floor it in Phoenix/SF Bay, but seats + booze for SoCal is the best remedy.

Pasadena clusterf**k

I was part of the crowd that got a number the day before the show as per security's agreement and found out when I arrived at 7 am that security completely contradicted themselves. I only lost 100 places or so when I went from 322 to 431 so I just put up with it. I felt much worse for the people right in front of me who had been numbers 2 -5 and were now in the 400s.

I was also part of the crowd that believed security when they said we would line up in our pens at 4:45 to go into the stadium. (I know - stupid me!) I was in search of a bathroom at 4:15 pm since the 4 portapotties allocated to the 2000+ people in the GA line were not an option. I got a frantic call from my line buddy and started to run like hell back to the line ...where I was now in the 2000s with my new line buddies. They were quite entertaining and we all survived the line compaction and eventually made it inside.

After much wiggling and excusing myself I made it into the pit on Adam's side outside rail with my friend who had all my belongings with her. The crowd was pretty cool until after the Black Eyed Peas set.

At that point we were invaded by the Red Zone individuals who decided that they wanted a closer spot, even though the spots were occupied by us. There were fists flying and we were caught up in the pushing and shoving. We brought it to the attention of the CSC event staff who were right in front of us and they told us they weren't going to do anything. They gave the same response when people smoked dope in front of them, when kids in the pit (never a good idea) were in danger of being trampled. It turns out the CSC people in our section were volunteers who worked the show so that their school could attend it. They wouldn't even call the real police to handle the violence or drugs.

I should have expected as much based on what we were told by event staff while we were still waiting outside in the GA line. The tall bald caucasian man stated "Our priority is the stadium and the perimeter."....but he never mentioned the people, safety, etc.

Way to go, Pasadena! I have lots of bruises for my souvenirs and I really hope that I show up on the DVD with my one fingered salute to the event planners and so called security.

I would like to thank the volunteers who had the line organized the day before the show, as they did at Vegas and other venues. That was a very civilized way of dealing with situation - too bad the people in charge didn't agree :sad:

There is nothing controversial about having a civil conversation about a misfortunate event.

If the subject makes some uncomfortable we may need to explore the reasons for that.

<>

Oh, really? There seems to be a distinct tone of "burn them at the stake!" or wanting to shame them, coming from you. The time for calling them out would have been in the line. Is it really necessary to make veiled threats about outing them here?

Some people will try to cheat to get ahead, that's human nature. This situation was a failing by security, plain and simple.

I’m pretty sure this is an incompetent security issue, which is universal if you ask me… The GA line for Toronto Vertigo 1 was horrendous….

Wow, did you think so? I thought it was very well run. We were allowed to camp out, security was always present. My only issue is that I think it was silly that people had to put away their things so early in the day, and I don't really think it was necessary to consolidate the line as early as they did, but in the grand scheme of things, and certainly compared with what other GA lines at some venues had to deal with, I thought we had it good.

Wow, did you think so? I thought it was very well run. We were allowed to camp out, security was always present. My only issue is that I think it was silly that people had to put away their things so early in the day, and I don't really think it was necessary to consolidate the line as early as they did, but in the grand scheme of things, and certainly compared with what other GA lines at some venues had to deal with, I thought we had it good.

we're talking about Vertigo, right? (360 was fine) where they had two lines, one for GA and a line for U2.com members? Guess which line I went in? Guess which line went in first despite reassurances from several security guards?

we're talking about Vertigo, right? (360 was fine) where they had two lines, one for GA and a line for U2.com members? Guess which line I went in? Guess which line went in first despite reassurances from several security guards?

I'm such an idiot, I completely missed the Vertigo reference. :reject:

For Vertigo, I had seats for the first show, GA for the other three. Which show are you talking about?

Oh, really? There seems to be a distinct tone of "burn them at the stake!" or wanting to shame them, coming from you. The time for calling them out would have been in the line. Is it really necessary to make veiled threats about outing them here?

Some people will try to cheat to get ahead, that's human nature. This situation was a failing by security, plain and simple.

I tend to think that U2 fans are of a different nature then what you refer to "human nature", and I think most in this thread would agree-that's while so many are disappointed.

And your "burn them at the stake!" accusation is unfounded.

So, your problem is what then?

I'm trying to alleviate future headaches and problems in GA lines with this tour- is that an issue w you?

If we can't police ourselves, which is sad, then yes better security needs to be put in place.

<>

I tend to think that U2 fans are of a different nature then what you refer to "human nature", and I think most in this thread would agree-that's while so many are disappointed.

And your "burn them at the stake!" accusation is unfounded.

You're the only one that thinks everything was pretty ok or "pretty well ran" w the GA line -which contrasts severely with other fans experiences that day.

So, your problem is what then?

I'm trying to alleviate future headaches and problems in GA lines, is that an issue w you?

<>

Read my post again, and what I quoted when replying. The line we're talking about being okay was in Toronto.

As for you thinking that all U2 fans are of a different nature, I guess the Rosebowl line (and several other lines that have happened during this tour) proved you wrong, huh? Seems to me that the common denominator among the successfully run GA lines is effective security.

the first Vertigo show, I had no problems the next night. No big deal, I get the feeling you are distracted :wink:

Ha!

Yeah, I wasn't in that line. But I do remember the other nights having this feeling of "OMG, AM I CHOOSING THE RIGHT LINE?? LOOK, THE OTHER LINE IS MOVING FASTER, THEY ARE TWO PEOPLE AHEAD OF US!" :lol:

360 was much better, having GA enter in the one gate completely negated anything like that happening, it was a good decision on their part. :up:

Read my post again, and what I quoted when replying. The line we're talking about being okay was in Toronto.

As for you thinking that all U2 fans are of a different nature, I guess the Rosebowl line (and several other lines that have happened during this tour) proved you wrong, huh? Seems to me that the common denominator among the successfully run GA lines is effective security.

i did and corrected my post.

That said, very few GA lines have had problems on this tour, because u2 fans in general are not cheats.

Security can't be everywhere every second-so I think collectivelly we should be able to police ourselves as a community-peacefully.

And for line jumpers reading this they might think twice next show.

<>

Yes Diamond, I'm sure your handful of posts in this thread has caused cheating U2 fans to take a good look at their moral compasses, and that line jumping will no longer be a problem. Thanks for all your hard work, keep up the good fight! :up:

:wink:

sometimes
its the little things that count,
and one ripple leads to
larger ripples.

ponder that.

<>

Is it just me or were there more GA tix for the Rose Bowl than any other venue? In Vegas there was tons of space, but I think for the DVD shoot they sold more GA and thus more people to line up. I was in a GA line at Staples and it wasn't nearly this crazy. The Vegas line was tiny compared to this. I was about 500 arriving at 9am in Vegas, 1054 arriving at 8:30 in LA.

To me the fault in this scenario is with the Rose Bowl and the Pasadena PD (LAPD would have had the riot gear and tasers out :lol:) The Rose Bowl did a piss poor job of communicating and ensuring there was enough security to handle the crowd. My guess is they completely underestimated how many people would line up early. I mean, I was surprised, but it should have been apparent at 8:30 that there would be a ginormous line and then they should have been able to plan it better.

Agreed with everyone the RB GA line blew. But I had such an amazing time and had to mention a couple of angels I had out there.

I went from Vegas, the morning after the show straight to the RB. I got there around 1:30p. Was numbered low 100's in the Fan line, went back at 4:30p Saturday and got my red wristband. Around 7pm got my text we were official to come back at 7am. It was a foggy tired ride in and arrived around 6:30a Sunday. Went to Lot I as directed by "fan info." One lone older man told us another line had started and we woulc hang their or try our luck. I was not going to hang in a lot a mile away. So we went and found the line. Got in the back of the existing line. 2 girls with RB security numbered and cordoned off the first 250 people. I was just behind this group. Found out later their was all sorts of controversy with these girls/ fake U2 identification and so forth. I vigilantly watched what was going on all day. Security told us different info all day. My group numbered ourselves 251-301. Around 2pm we received RB wristbands. I packed up then. 4 bathrooms for how many GA people?

The swarm, push started around 4. Thank goodness our stuff was all packed. I lost one friend but amazingly she found us. We were squished beyond belief, I am short and had to keep asking what was going on. Then the front of the line had to wrap around to get to the gates. Very dangerous. Almost had my arm twisted off.

When gates opened my feet didn't touch the ground... No security/ bag check, hardly looked at my tix. Everyone ran. At the entrance of the tunnel, I slipped/ was pushed and fell in a 2 foot hole. Someone- THANK YOU- pulled me right out with one arm and ushered me/ pulled me through the tunnel entrance. I didn't have a scratch on me. I fell in without touching the sides??? The hole was full of electrical fat cords and I probably would have been trampled. AGAIN- thank you to whomever you were who pulled me out.

My friend beat me to the rail- never happened before. Another miracle and we were outer rail Adam's side. I had to contend with a tall drunk man next to me but it was all worth it. A woman running to the rail shortly after thew herself onto me. Weird then she took off.

Absolutely amazing show. Even could endure BEP's sunday night. Great crowd. No one crushed us once everyone was in place. I jumped up and down so much I couldn't walk yesterday. And of course I wore heels to work. Ouch.

After the show my car wouldn't start- Prius. I wondered earlier wouldn't a theif have a field day going through GA line people's cars. The alarm went off and drained the battery. I thought I would be there until Monday. AAA was there- in I kid you not- 5 minutes. I got right onto the highway and was home hours before most of my friends who shuttled, etc. Thank you again AAA

RB :-(

U2 :)!!!

AAA :)

Hate to tell you but those "2 girls with fake id's attempting to run the line in the morning" did not get kicked to the back of the line. That earlier pix is not one of them. I ended up squished in the beginning of the mob in front of the gate next to them. They continued to be indignant yelling at people who had numbers higher than them. They made it to the outer rail after me and my 2 friends. One tried to squish her way more to the center which didn't work and they ended up a couple people down from me more to the outside of Adam's rail. They were in their 30's, married with kids and continued with a story (to my friend- a guy- couldn't help himself/ I refused to speak to them) about being there since wednesday, sleeping on the golf course and meeting crew and the crew asking them to help. Uhhh- please. I am sure we have pix but I won't post. One got real sick towards the end and her sister wouldn't help her. Karma???

i was thinking something similar...

the rose bowl did a great job of telling people to get there early because of traffic/parking. you have to figure a lot of those people were GAs and even though they showed up later in the day, they were there when the doors opened. it did not take long for the floor behind the rail to go 10+ deep.

compare it to vegas where the doors opened late (545p), i walked in at 630 with some other people here and was 5-7 people deep.

-dan

Doubt I'll do GA for a LA show, I'll just get seats.
I had to leave the GA line because it was a mess, I felt sick and ended up having a nosebleed :crack:
People without wristbands or numbers managed to cut in front of everyone, police had to physically pull them out of the line and move them to the back.

Doubt I'll do GA for a LA show, I'll just get seats.
I had to leave the GA line because it was a mess, I felt sick and ended up having a nosebleed :crack:
People without wristbands or numbers managed to cut in front of everyone, police had to physically pull them out of the line and move them to the back.

That was beyond annoying. When people showed up all dressed up at 5:30 and demanded to be in front of everyone else because "my sister/brother/mother is saving a spot for us way up front."

:|

Is it just me or were there more GA tix for the Rose Bowl than any other venue?

This was my exact question....since it was my first time in GA. Towards the end of the show...I was hanging on to my friend for dear life....feeling exhausted from being packed like sardines !! If I do GA for Anaheim...I think the soundboard is looking good :)

To me the fault in this scenario is with the Rose Bowl and the Pasadena PD (LAPD would have had the riot gear and tasers out :lol:) The Rose Bowl did a piss poor job of communicating and ensuring there was enough security to handle the crowd.

Exactly :up:

... i'm not happy with security.... they were supposed to let me in first with the wheelchairs because of my disability, they let in wheelchairs but not me, said they were going to, but then the crowd got let in and it was chaos, everyone running in around me .....the blue shirt head of security guy lied to me.

i got down there in pit an some people let me get on rail (i need to lean on it to rest my back) cuz they knew security messed up.... last time i see a show at Rose Bowl or do GA in LA!!!

I have always hated LA people in general cuz of their attitudes (but not u2 fans ).. not going to name names but other fans were being rude an this LA guy was trying to start a fight with my friend.. a girl was crying in pit next to me.. it was BAD.. .

the show was good but the chaos leading up to it wasn't..

u2 really needs to bring back the people who ran the vertigo lines minus the lottery.

Jesse, I was thinking about you the last couple days, wondering if you'd found the head of security and if you'd gotten in okay - so you answered my questions. Bummer about the security SNAFU but I'm glad you got a rail spot and hopefully you were able to enjoy the show. Why didn't they let you in with the wheelchairs?

Maryann, not sure why. Security was ran by monkeys it seems. They might have thought I wasn't affected much because i wasn't in a chair. They let me in Phoenix with a person in a chair so i don't understand why the Rose Bowl did not.

Back
Top Bottom