GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the 2010 tour...I'm going to snap pictures of the front of the line for every GA I'm a part of.

No....seriously :shifty:

same.

How about video cameras :shifty:

We discussed the issuing of numbers when tickets are bought i.e. taking the general out of GA. Can you imagine the amount those tickets would go for on ebay.

I like that the tickets are affordable AND I have a shot at a good spot. Plus, it's a test of my love for humanity :zen:

How about just assigning GA numbers when you buy your tickets, so the line #s are printed right on the tix? Horizon purchases first, Breathe, Boots, Magnificent in that order? At least those in the actual fan club would get first priority for GA line? Just a thought. (Although I'm sure scalpers would get their hands on some, too. EW!)

Noble idea.

U2 Tokyo '06 tried this, and it worked for the first two gigs, but then totally failed at the third show when everyone just stampeded the front door anyway because security there was light.

Numbering systems and polite lineups don't work if the venue security does not enforce the order in which fans enter the stadium.

U2 Tokyo GA tickets #5-8

2436062090101351011S600x600Q85.jpg

Is there someway we can alert the band/local security for upcoming shows about this?

Principle already has been alerted many times in the past two days by ticked off fans who were there.

This is not unique to the Rose Bowl on this tour, unfortunately. The same thing happened in Chorzow and Zagreb, too. Zero line control, mass cutting, useless security, dangerous crowd crush at the gates. I heard Milano was the same way. U2 management doesn't care about the GA lineup, yet. Let's hope they wake up before we hear about injuries in Moscow or Istanbul next year.

I was there and I went to try to find all my lovely Blue Crackheads...I gave up when I saw the mess. Then I got worried. All I could think about was Maddy and Lila, honestly...I was just hoping all my friends were okay.

I was blessed with a seat because I probably would have gotten my ass trampled or someone would have gotten a black eye or knee cap.

I think it's hard because by the time show time rolls around, you've been outside ALL damn day, your emotions are a little frayed and you're tired, so defensive mode comes out and fights happen, people push, shove, run, etc. I'm glad that no one got seriously hurt and I hope those two witches get some karma raining down upon them.

Aw Chelsea! :hug: We missed seeing you! :hug:

4050452615_c4961509b5_o.jpg

To the right of this pic is the gate, to the left a LONG line, yet someone could just walk up (center of pic) and be "towards the front" of all the people on the left.

What a cluster. Glad I had seats...

Same thing happened at the meadowlands too....I really think its a matter of survival of the fittest.

U2 management doesn't care about the GA lineup, yet. Let's hope they wake up before we hear about injuries in Moscow or Istanbul next year.

They probably care, but it's something that occurs outside of the venue. Issues outside of the venue, but on venue grounds, need to be handled by security. The band and/or promoter would really be exposing themselves to lawsuits if they had the appearance of being "in charge" and something went wrong.

I have seen (my own eyes) folks on here, cut in line, and move past other folks that were ahead of them.

Metal pens (narrow) and no leaving the line for hours is the only GA answer. Let fans camp out, since they are going to do it anyways...the only other answer is a lottery.

Originally Posted by VintagePunk
If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think you were trying to fan the controversy.

Ding ding ding!

QUOTE]

There is nothing controversial about having a civil conversation about a misfortunate event.

If the subject makes some uncomfortable we may need to explore the reasons for that.

<>

Diamond, ifyou want to call out Interferencers for line shenanigans, then do so. And if you don't think it's appropriate to name them here, then stop mentioning it. It just makes you look like you're dropping these little hints to get everyone all worked up about it.

It doesn't make me uncomfortable to talk about it. It doesn't surprise me that there are people from this site who would do that. It's a big site, and there's a pretty big cross-section of society here. So yeah, there are some who will do the right thing, and there are others who don't particularly care.

It's not shocking to me. I don't fall for the generalization that all U2 fans are one big, happy group looking out for each other, all full of sunshine and hugs and puppies.

A lot of us are, and a lot of them are on this site, and it's awesome and makes me happy, but I'm under no delusion to be shocked and appalled to learn there are fans - even here - that would cheat their way in line.

As much as I'd love to stay and hash out more controversial topics, I have to get on the road to Vancouver, where I will show up after the doors open and waltz my way into GA, free from line drama. :)

No, diamond. If you want to call out Interferencers for line shenanigans, then do so.

And if you don't think it's appropriate to name them here, then stop mentioning it. It just makes you look like you're dropping these little hints to get everyone all worked up about it.

It doesn't surprise me that there are people from this site who would do that. It's a big site, and there's a pretty big cross-section of society here. So yeah, there are some who will do the right thing, and there are others who don't particularly care.

It's not shocking to me. I don't fall for the generalization that all U2 fans are one big, happy group looking out for each other, all full of sunshine and hugs and puppies.

A lot of us are, and a lot of them are on this site, and it's awesome and makes me happy, but I'm under no delusion to be shocked and appalled to learn there are fans - even here - that would cheat their way in line.

I, for one, am not full of puppies.

Diamond, ifyou want to call out Interferencers for line shenanigans,

happy group looking out for each other, all full of sunshine and hugs and puppies.

:)

I don't need to do that, perhaps this thread will make them rethink their actions at future shows.

I think Bono's goal is to have fairness, oneness and soul-and that's what most U2 fans are about, if not it should be as that is the message of U2's music.

Have fun at your next show.

:hug:

<>

A couple observations -

I was in the 50s on Saturday and #400 on Sunday. (And so happy to meet other interference folks :wave:) After the initial coup from the morning of one line taking over another, everything went fairly smoothly. Then the crush happened and it was crazy - everyone for him/herself, me included. Our group locked arms and moved forward dodging ice chests, umbrellas, bottles and everything else. There was a really pissed guy next to me arguing with the person in front of him whose number was maybe 30 higher. I was worried about fists flying. Then security came in (finally) and busted the line literally right behind me. The tape was on my back. I turn around and the guy who was the "real #1" who had started the book on Saturday is now behind me in this 2nd group. For a second I felt so guilty. (He ultimately moved up I think). In any case, there was all this pushing, shoving, swearing, name calling, etc. WHILE THE BAND IS STILL DOING THEIR SOUND CHECK. So we know we're still going to be there for a while. Then Magnificent starts and everyone's singing along about "Only love...." and I thought how crazy this was that we're all so pissy at the people next to us yet singing about love.

Anyway, I was very glad to be in the front, because once the gates opened, we were in right away. I can't imagine having been in the back.

It was a great concert, but that was certainly a crazy part.

The crowd in front of us (more than 400, but not too bad)

crowdinfrontofus.jpg

The crowd behind us (nuts!)
crowdbehindus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom