GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rumble.gif

Hey Zuropa - you or your friends were very near us. We were 414/415, near the tent where the guys were playing guitar and singing in the morning :up:

Is there someway we can alert the band/local security for upcoming shows about this? It was a scary situation and I was at the bathroom at the time. Finding my husband in that crowd was hell! I couldn't imagine the running. So yeah, dangerous all around and the last thing I would want is someone really getting hurt on the 2010 leg. So what can we do as fans to warn security for upcoming venues so this doesn't happen with potentially dangerous consequences? I just keep thinking about that Who show in Ohio years ago where people died and really don't want another tragedy like that. And let's be honest, after the way this was handled, it's possible.

i dunno, im sorry this happened, of course. But seriously if the GA/venue rules state no camping out and line up at 6/7 am or whatever then that is when the line and numbering starts. Not 2 am, and definitely not some 400 people on saturday.

My apologies to all because i don't want to offend, but if someone goes from #2 to #400 does it really make a difference? You will still get that spot you want considering the pit holds 2500 people and the rail is pretty big. I know its the principle of it all, but still. If i showed up at 7 am and was first in line per the rules and then suddenly 400 or 600 people cut in front of me out of nowhere because they lined up and made up their own numbers the day before in a parking lot across the street i would be upset with that. Its really no different than people here who felt betrayed because some crap line that started at 2am.

Bottom line, nobody was killed or got hurt, right? Everyone got to see a great show hopefully. Greatest show on earth at that. I would not let that sour my experience. Both of my shows the line went very smooth. In Dallas we got in line around 5 and made our way into the pit, Norman we could have done the same but we got in line at noon and still had basically the same spot in the pit as we had in Dallas. Everybody was calm and laid back and security was very professional.

Hopefully this "debacle" doesn't hurt us all in future shows, like the lottery or whatever. Luckily nobody did get hurt. I guess the future really does need a big kiss. :|

Hopefully this "debacle" doesn't hurt us all in future shows, like the lottery or whatever. Luckily nobody did get hurt. I guess the future really does need a big kiss. :|

I think there are two issues being discussed here. One is the issue with the two lines that formed.

The second was the issue with how the line in general was handled by venue security which caused a very dangerous situation.

One has nothing to do with the other and the second one was the most serious and the one that caused people the most concern.

A lottery would not solve the most serious issue as there would still be a line to contend with. The only solution to solving the real problem that happened in Pasadena would be to have seats on the floor like Popmart and I don't think neither fans nor U2 want that.

Last edited:
I was there and I went to try to find all my lovely Blue Crackheads...I gave up when I saw the mess. Then I got worried. All I could think about was Maddy and Lila, honestly...I was just hoping all my friends were okay.

I was blessed with a seat because I probably would have gotten my ass trampled or someone would have gotten a black eye or knee cap.

I think it's hard because by the time show time rolls around, you've been outside ALL damn day, your emotions are a little frayed and you're tired, so defensive mode comes out and fights happen, people push, shove, run, etc. I'm glad that no one got seriously hurt and I hope those two witches get some karma raining down upon them.

Is there someway we can alert the band/local security for upcoming shows about this? It was a scary situation and I was at the bathroom at the time. Finding my husband in that crowd was hell! I couldn't imagine the running. So yeah, dangerous all around and the last thing I would want is someone really getting hurt on the 2010 leg. So what can we do as fans to warn security for upcoming venues so this doesn't happen with potentially dangerous consequences? I just keep thinking about that Who show in Ohio years ago where people died and really don't want another tragedy like that. And let's be honest, after the way this was handled, it's possible.

I totally agree with you that it was dangerous and if left to inept stadiums and their inept security (even the Pasadena Police were just standing there!) then something could have happened and could in the future. And while I hold the Rose Bowl responsible for the GA mess, I don't think it's our responsibility to alert future venues.

This was Live Nations/U2's show and obviously all venues are not created equal. There should be some kind of increased demands or conditions placed on venues by someone. The promoter/band or maybe the city they're in? That mess was ridiculous and unnecessary.

I wish stadiums could be fined for messing up like that. Then they'd be more vested in providing good management for we few thousand herding into the floor section. I guess it's too subjective and who would fine them? Some kind of penalty would be nice. Is there someone's ass I can kick? :mac:

4050452615_c4961509b5_o.jpg

To the right of this pic is the gate, to the left a LONG line, yet someone could just walk up (center of pic) and be "towards the front" of all the people on the left.

What a cluster. Glad I had seats...

:crack:

Great pic of the scene! I was up towards the front of this to the right, w/Fitz, Lila, Maddy, DRay, zooey, d.darroch, kaf, and Carlos. Everyone was concerned w/Maddy :hug: I can still feel those people breathing and pressing up against me, it was sickening. My particular line was held up when someone's ticket didn't scan, that just made the crush worse.

Something I won't ever forget. I am so thankful the show was awesome, it made an incredible memory out of the mess.

I was there and I went to try to find all my lovely Blue Crackheads...I gave up when I saw the mess. Then I got worried. All I could think about was Maddy and Lila, honestly...I was just hoping all my friends were okay.

I was blessed with a seat because I probably would have gotten my ass trampled or someone would have gotten a black eye or knee cap.

I think it's hard because by the time show time rolls around, you've been outside ALL damn day, your emotions are a little frayed and you're tired, so defensive mode comes out and fights happen, people push, shove, run, etc. I'm glad that no one got seriously hurt and I hope those two witches get some karma raining down upon them.

:crack:

Great pic of the scene! I was up towards the front of this to the right, w/Fitz, Lila, Maddy, DRay, zooey, d.darroch, kaf, and Carlos. Everyone was concerned w/Maddy :hug: I can still feel those people breathing and pressing up against me, it was sickening. My particular line was held up when someone's ticket didn't scan, that just made the crush worse.

Something I won't ever forget. I am so thankful the show was awesome, it made an incredible memory out of the mess.

:hug::hug::hug:

Total chaos.

I think there are two issues being discussed here. One is the issue with the two lines that formed.

The second was the issue with how the line in general was handled by venue security which caused a very dangerous situation.

One has nothing to do with the other and the second one was the most serious and the one that caused people the most concern.

A lottery would not solve the most serious issue as there would still be a line to contend with. The only solution to solving the real problem that happened in Pasadena would be to have seats on the floor like Popmart and I don't think neither fans nor U2 want that.

I agree with you, but i still think there is plenty of blame to go around. The "mob" mentality of the people who crashed the lines and rushed the gates has to be addressed of the people themselves, not just security who let this happen.

I think something that is being overlooked here is that there was talk of some sort of protest in the line before people were let into the show. And then we had the dangerous situation at the gate and im guessing it was a total free for all, or cluster as people have said. I guess the spirit of protest and entitlement isn't always a good thing, and could have turned out dangerous. It sure brings out the ugly in people....

Well anyway im glad nobody got hurt. And im glad i wasn't at this show either.

Humans are a very pushing shoving type of species, these types of scenarios bring out the worse in some people, it doesn't matter if they are U2 fans, Kanye West fans, or Marilyn Manson fans :shrug:

Speak for yourself.

Different genres attract different groups of ppl.

As whole, U2 crowds are more peaceful than other crowds.

<>

Oooh cool! Interference mob building. Get your pitchforks and torches ready! :happy:

Here's the interesting part, there are some Interlanders that did cheat on the 2nd day..and pushed back the earlier fans.

I'm curious if those that did this will own up.

<>

so sorry to hear how bad this was...it is truly scary...especially the pushing and shoving..I have been on the receiving end of that, and it ain't fun:huh: our Vegas line was so orderly...and the security there was on top of it ALL day....even came around and said "if someone cuts the line...come to US and WE will remove them :up:

Spot on. Vegas had it right with the hard break in the line around #150. Lean and long lines with competent, caring security. Great job Sam Boyd and crew!

Funny thing - if they were U2 personnel, why would they need to show up and get in line and be number 1 and 2? :der:

And with that comment, the incompetency of the security is revealed. The way this went down almost seems scripted, as if security was acquainted with the locals in the second line.

It's been reported that after some people lined up the day before the show and were numbered. Some late-comer fans then went to security and had the whole line re arranged to their liking on the day of the show -thereby cheating the earlier people out of proper placing.

Another great reason for following my S.O.P.:up::up:

Out of five shows I have been to in my life of U2 three of them were GA the earliest I arrived was 5p.m. let the line flush in & still had great spots all three times:D

For the 2010 tour...I'm going to snap pictures of the front of the line for every GA I'm a part of.

No....seriously :shifty:

Different genres attract different groups of ppl.

As whole, U2 crowds are more peaceful than other crowds.

<>

I think this is what some people would like to think, but I've witnessed otherwise. I've been to a lot of different concerts in my day(rap, heavy metal, country you name it), and for the most part "people are people"(been to DM 3 times:wink:) and crowds can sometimes bring out the worse in people.

In my history of concerts the nicest fans were Ani Difranco, and I was a straight white male in a sea of suppossed man hating lesbians.

The worse fans were at a Garth Brooks concert, this one was NOT by choice but a woman was involved...

So go figure :shrug:

The worse fans were at a Garth Brooks concert, this one was NOT by choice but a woman was involved...
:

So you do see differences.
I bet you I've been to scores of more different concerts than you-hence my conclusion.

:)

<>

Back
Top Bottom