GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what im having trouble with. Why would this many people (or any number for that matter) line up so far in advance, and expect their self appointed numbers to actually count?

If the venue tells you to line up at 6am the day of the show, then thats when you line up. Anything before that should not count. Who do people think they are?

No wonder it was a clusterfuck...

I dunno..I think there is the spirit and letter of the law. U2 fans are more about fairness and spirit of the law.

I don't think we should begrudge a person who *could* of *wisely* planned months in advance perhaps using his vacation days, to line up @ a U2 show to be close to his favorite band- then have it all taken a way on a whim by someone else.

Not righteous.

<>

I got there at 7:30 am and stuck it out. The crush was just ridiculous. But I held onto my girlfriend and we just went with the herd. A security guard told me to stop pushing, but I replied to him, dude I am falling because I am being pushed, I am not pushing anyone. It was insane.

so sorry to hear how bad this was...it is truly scary...especially the pushing and shoving..I have been on the receiving end of that, and it ain't fun:huh: our Vegas line was so orderly...and the security there was on top of it ALL day....even came around and said "if someone cuts the line...come to US and WE will remove them :up:

This is what im having trouble with. Why would this many people (or any number for that matter) line up so far in advance, and expect their self appointed numbers to actually count?

If the venue tells you to line up at 6am the day of the show, then thats when you line up. Anything before that should not count. Who do people think they are?

From what I understand, people showed up to the bowl on Saturday, probably prepared to line-up. I think a list was started and probably at some point people (fans) arrived with a sign-up list & wristbands. People who had their name on the list and left already had a wristband reserved if they came back (I assume, that day/evening). We got a call that they were wristbanding, so we drove down to get a number. We were given a phone number to call later in the evening with further details on how it would go down on Sunday morning. They were going to meet with the security & work out a plan, because they didn't want campers there. One (or maybe a few) people were going to stay & maintain the list all night long. Apparently the main guy (fan) was told to leave around midnight, and came back later, only to find the 2:00am girls and a new line. He/they were supposedly going to talk to security in the morning to see what could be done, and apparently it was nothing at all. I saw the list he had made, with about 600 people's names on it. When we called the number, we were supposed to come back at 7:00am and park in Lot I and they'd walk us over to the gate & line us up. And then we'd move our cars accordingly. We had planned to get there earlier just in case, but timing didn't work out that way, and we ended up there at 7:00am with what seemed like a mile walk with our "stuff" only to find out we were #414 & #415, after being #228/229 the day before. :shrug:

From what I understand, people showed up to the bowl on Saturday, probably prepared to line-up. I think a list was started and probably at some point people (fans) arrived with a sign-up list & wristbands. People who had their name on the list and left already had a wristband reserved if they came back (I assume, that day/evening). We got a call that they were wristbanding, so we drove down to get a number. We were given a phone number to call later in the evening with further details on how it would go down on Sunday morning. They were going to meet with the security & work out a plan, because they didn't want campers there. One (or maybe a few) people were going to stay & maintain the list all night long. Apparently the main guy (fan) was told to leave around midnight, and came back later, only to find the 2:00am girls and a new line. He/they were supposedly going to talk to security in the morning to see what could be done, and apparently it was nothing at all. I saw the list he had made, with about 600 people's names on it. When we called the number, we were supposed to come back at 7:00am and park in Lot I and they'd walk us over to the gate & line us up. And then we'd move our cars accordingly. We had planned to get there earlier just in case, but timing didn't work out that way, and we ended up there at 7:00am with what seemed like a mile walk with our "stuff" only to find out we were #414 & #415, after being #228/229 the day before. :shrug:

I showed up at 7am with my 5 other friends. I was originally number 65, ended up being number 404. Still managed to get the spot I wanted, but the entire line up was a disaster. The crush that started around 4:15 was dangerous. I've never been in a GA line like that.

I showed up at 7am with my 5 other friends. I was originally number 65, ended up being number 404. Still managed to get the spot I wanted, but the entire line up was a disaster. The crush that started around 4:15 was dangerous.
Seriously. The first group of us that was section off started to move forward and looked back to see the thousands of people behind us running forward :huh: Many on the other side of the caution tape and making a run for the front of the line. Absolute chaos. Even worse than Chicago, and that was pretty bad.

Actually, my friend DID get trampled. Not only did the jerk push her to the ground but stepped on her back to get past her. And a few other 'fans' followed suit.

Karma will catch up with them for that. Very uncool.

That is one thing that U2 needs to address.
Part 1 is how they let the lines in. I saw 2 crushing lines in 3 shows. (They should have the GA line get back into single file line at 330. And begin bringing the line in 100 at a time at 430. (or something similar).

The single file and by numbers helps control the line jumping and deleting the cattle rush aspect. Letting 100-150 in at at time, and then the next 100-150... can be done timely and will keep from hundreds to thousands pushing/rushing/crushing anyone.

The GA line is part 2. (how it's lined up, when it can line up and policed and such). Someone from Live Nation and preferably Principle Mgt should oversee the line. It would take it out of the hands of some of the overbearing folks that run some of the lines.

Some fans run good lines, don't get me wrong. But some don't. And the venues do not always recognize fan lines. Rose Bowl is an example. They agreed on Saturday and then changed the rules Sunday.

If a Live Nation rep and PM rep were on the same page seeing that the venue ran them all and was fair about it - all would benefit.

Leaving things in the hands or ever changing minds of local security that don't care and in most cases have not had any GA shows at their location is a recipe for issues.

T'is my two cents on two problems with GA that can be rectified with just a bit of effort.

What happened at the Rose Bowl was a mess. I was there Saturday. There was a line starting. We waited all day and made contact with the venue security.

They saw we were organized and that we had numbers and a list. They said it was fine but that we couldn't stay on the property overnight.

They said we had to leave at 8pm and to re-lineup at 7AM at lot I. They said not to come earlier.

We did EVERYTHING that the venue asked.

As we showed up at 6:45am-7:AM to find out that no one told the next shift change, apparently. And they were allowing others on the property earlier - Even though they told us "no one before 7am, and we will come to Lot I and get you when it's time to be on the property".

So the short answer is: Venue security should needs a Live Nation and PM rep to oversee the lines. PM and Live Nation Rep can then tell all venue security exactly how to do it right and be on the grounds should there be an issue.

Not only did the two girls have fake badges acting as if they were U2 personnel but they lied to security and cops about the first line that formed, stating that they list was made DAYS earlier in another state. Not true! But that is what they said to talk the security into not honoring the original line.

Karma will deal with those two. Seems like if they got booted to the back, that is a good start.

Hi guys...this was my first time in GA. We arrived at 12:45 in line, and I was #2004. Up to that point, it was very organized...and we enjoyed hanging out and talking with everyone. (Wayne Travis...it was nice to meet you) I was BEYOND excited, when they said that the cut off for the inner circle was 2013 !! :hyper:

Shortly before 4 p.m, I went to the porta potty (loooong) line with my non-GA friend, who was just visiting. Then, we saw people walking quickly...and I thought o.k., the line is moving up. At that point....all hell broke loose. I was running back to find my friend...hoping that everyone was running up in order...but NO !! My other friend called me...and told me my (GA) friend was in the huge crowd gathering at the gate. Finally...I found him, after several scary moments.

Everyone was in the same situation...trying to figure out what was going on...it was total chaos. I must say, everyone around me was amazing. We were all really supportive of each other....overall, U2 fans really are the best (with some very big exceptions...)

It was shocking to see how useless security was...:down: I couldn't believe it.

We ended up getting inner circle, on the back rail... on Adam's side...which was amazing. :applaud:

-Katy

My friend and I hit the bathrooms around 4pm, too. Here we were, waiting in that LONG line but enjoying the soundcheck immensely, when our other friends in line (we were around 1400) called and told us what had happened. We ran back and found the mass of people near the gate, but couldn't find our friends, and security wouldn't let us in when we did find them. We found other friends who were back at the 2000 mark, and just joined them, but it was a mess - there was a mix of numbers and no numbers, hi and low numbers...a joke. This security guard said "don't worry, you'll all get on the floor." Well, no shit, Sherlock! I'm glad I missed the rush, but am disappointed that it happened like that. I've never been in a GA situation like that before - they are always so organized, enjoyable and CALM. It's sad when you've had great GA experiences and one bad one, like the Rose Bowl, can make you think twice about a GA ticket to a stadium in the future.

To those who cut in the GA line at the last minute and pushed their way up past those with numbers who had been waiting (sometimes for days), crushing fans - including kids, AND ....

to those who think they can squeeze into the 3 inches of personal space you leave between you and the person in front of you in the very overcrowded inner-circle right before the show starts....

REALLY? Are you THAT entitled? Please find another band to like - any one but U2.

First of all, I had a great time on Sunday and it was an amazing show. We got in line at around 12:30 in the afternoon. Then after waiting almost 4 hours, at around 4:15 ish I got out of line to find a friend at one of the merchandise stands, and then all of a sudden I get a call from the GA line that the line finally started to move, and so I start running back to the line, but at that point the line was moving so quickly and it was so chaotic that I couldn't find anyone I knew in the line and I basically lost my spot...Finally after finding where the damn line was, probably 500-1000 people had passed me at that point....Originally, I was number 2000....So I should've gotten inner circle, right? But the stupid numbering system meant nothing in the end. I ended up dead center about 10 feet from the outter rail...it was still a great experience but knowing that I should've gotten inner circle is sorta depressing. I guess if I had never gotten out of line, this wouldn't have happened, but what's the point of giving everyone a number then?!?! And when they finally decided to move the GA lines forward, it was completely random....At least I got a decent spot outside the circle though :shrug:

12pm Pasadena - Front of GA line

206d9up.jpg

Not sure if the girl sitting on the left in the USC cap is one of the evil duo.... she turned her head as I snapped this photo.

As soon as I saw the flimsy yellow tape marking the line, I knew that line jumpers would destroy whatever numbering system existed.
I've seen this happen repeatedly at U2 shows around the world, most notably in Tokyo and Monterrey, Mexico. .

The only way to prevent that from happening is to make the lines very narrow, maybe 5 feet wide, and place metal grates along
both sides, like they did in Dublin and Gelsenkirchen. You'd think these venue staffs would know this basic stuff already. I guess
they all need refresher courses, starting with video of the Who concert in Cincinnati.

I was in the Red Zone at Pasadena, so missed out on all the fun. But, even the little RZ line nearly got fucked up because the
Rose Bowl security staff didn't know anything about it until 4:45. I had to tell the unfriendly security "supervisor" what was up,
and luckily all the RZ people there behaved wonderfully, except for two entitled fancy women who didn't want to follow our fan-numbering system.

Oh yeah, the ticket scanner at my turnstile didn't work, either, which cost us the best spots inside the RZ, despite waiting first in line all day.
Good job, Rose Bowl fuckheads :D Try testing your scanners before the show next time.

A friend with a "VIP ticket" (which was just a basic GA ticket) was told at Will Call that the GA line wristbands and
numbering system were "bullshit", and was just a temporary way to control the crowd in line, but would not be necessary to get in.

All the warnings by Rose Bowl security that two wristbands were needed to get into the Inner Circle were bunk, as my friend walked in
through our Gate F (not Gate E, where the GA line crush was) and ran down the steps with no one in front of her and walked into the pit
with no wristbands.

This is from U2tours...

"...two girls who had printed fake U2 laminates and lied to the new morning security they were official U2 representatives."

:lol:

Gotta admire their ingenuity! :lol:

Didn't I read somewhere that Rose bowl staff had actually flown out to other venues to see how they handled the lines?
I thought they would have been well prepared. I am saddened to hear that is was such a scary day and it sounds to me like it could have ended really badly. Glad to know you are all safe.
hj:heart:

Didn't I read somewhere that Rose bowl staff had actually flown out to other venues to see how they handled the lines?
I thought they would have been well prepared. I am saddened to hear that is was such a scary day and it sounds to me like it could have ended really badly. Glad to know you are all safe.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about the Rose Bowl staff flying to Chicago to "see how it's done", so I guess it worked out perfectly.

Thanks for the good wishes, hope Commonwealth Stadium fares better next year!

I agree - in effect everybody that arrives hours/days earlier that you are supposed to is pushing in front of the 'compliant' fans arriving as the rules on the ticket dictate.

I wish people would just show some respect. There shouldn't even be the need for numbers. Show up, know who you're lined up with and that's all it should take. I can't stand people who try so damn hard to move up before they're even in the building.

Honestly if security at these venues had any clue they'd set up baracades and flag off sections off 100 people. Make sure everyone is numbered and keep everyone in their specific section. Then when the doors to the venue open ONLY allow the people from 0-99 to enter the building first. If somone with a number higher than 99 tries to enter don't allow them. Once everyone in the first section is in then allow the people numberd 100-199 to enter. Once they're all in the 200-299 people go and so on and so on. It's so easy and makes so much sense it hurts my brain to know security at these venues doesn't do this. It would go so smoothly. Also doing it this way would totally get rid of the whole packing us together like sardines an hour or more before the doors open. People could just relax knowing that they'll be going in with their group when security says it's their turn. No sooner, no later. EASY! I should run GA lineups for U2 shows.

The only good thing that came out of all of that was that security came along mid-afternoon and kicked the two girls with fake laminates from the very front to the very back of the line :hi5:

The first girl in line was Jessica Montez:

Funny thing - if they were U2 personnel, why would they need to show up and get in line and be number 1 and 2? :der:

These were my exact thoughts. What security is dumb enough to think that girls who were staff (and therefore had passes) had to line up in the middle of the night :doh:

Numbering system in GA line is something that happens often, but I have never heard of such disrespect. Usually fans are the ones who respect the efforts someone has put in trying to organize the line. IMO, the venue security is here to blame. I attended Dublin 1 this year, and the numbering system was also started by 1st in line. However, the venue security communicated with people in the GA line, they were aware of the numbering system and they supported it and made sure nothing got out of hand. In fact, throughout the day they kept us informed on how things were going to develop (i.e. when were going to be let in, how everything would function etc).

What a fucking nightmare. :| I'm sorry you guys had to endure this. Seems like it happens every tour. Pity security can't just communicate with the guards after them so everyone knows what's up. And those two girls deserve some public embarassment for their selfish acts. I'd love to have their pictures up on a wall of shame online or so.

This makes me feel so glad the lines I was in were decent. Especially Dublin, awesome security guys who respected the fan system. The third day they put us in a group first, everyone getting a number at entrance and writing down their name in a booklet. Then they prepared pens for us which held about 100 people per pen, fenced with metal fences. Then they shouted out numbers (1-10, 11-20, etc) and everyone lined up neatly. Then, at opening time the first pen was let out, then the 2nd, then the 3rd etc. etc. Another good thing was the pit and field had separated lines, if you wanted to be up front outside rail, you got a diff line. The whole inner circle had a different way to enter the stadium. :up:

Hey Nick - I didn't know you were there - why didn't you come say hi :sad:

And yeah, at 7:00am in the morning we were telling security that they needed to narrow the line, but they didn't listen. And they didn't even want to be bothered with the fact they numbered us and to let us in in the groupings we were in, like Hallucination said. They didn't even have enough yellow tape at first to hold the mobs back. The "security" were kids basically and even said 'I'm not paid enough for this. That's why I don't go to shows'. :|

true fans yo!!!1111 :wink:

I got there at 7:30 am and stuck it out. The crush was just ridiculous. But I held onto my girlfriend and we just went with the herd. A security guard told me to stop pushing, but I replied to him, dude I am falling because I am being pushed, I am not pushing anyone. It was insane.

david, I must have been close to you in line. We got there at the same time and it was as awful as everyone has said. Once the line 'collapsed' we stood like crushed cattle for over 45 minutes. There was this cop just standing there looking at us. I mean once it all fell apart, why did they leave us standing there for so long. It was AWFUL! I had my sister-in-law, my niece and my son with me and I was worried about all of us.

While we were trying to move along in the cluster that was the line, we were tripping over chairs, garbage, Jack Daniels bottles, and umbrellas, it was beyond bad.

Have to agree with david too, the inner cirlce was a nightmare. It was so bad we left! Maybe after the long day and the stampede I just wasn't up to it, but we went out about 15 people deep on the outer rail.

Then, as mentioned, afterward there was NO ONE directing traffic. People were driving over medians and curbs to get the the road! We kept waiting for someone to get stuck, just to pass the time! :mac:

The Rose Bowl f'ed it all up.

(the show was awesome though) I just need to forget the 12 hours leading up to it. :sad:

Not only did they not have a clue, they ADMITTED to us that they didn't. And 2 of them said, "no one has told us how this works".

I agree - in effect everybody that arrives hours/days earlier that you are supposed to is pushing in front of the 'compliant' fans arriving as the rules on the ticket dictate.

The cluserf*ck had nothing to do with people arriving the day before. It was a line of over 3,000 people, security should have managed it better. Period.

If 6,000 people are sold tickets for the GA floor then they should be ready to manage a line of that number. And yes, if people get in line earlier than others, then they should enter first. It's a basic rule. The Rose Bowl is lucky no one got hurt or killed. They had months to plan for this, there's no excuse.

I got there at 7:30, parking was open, and the line was forming. Everyone was well behaved until the line collapsed. The only thing 'separating' the blocks of people was 'caution' tape. I looked back during the stampede and there was a WAVE of humanity coming at us with caution tape flapping along with them. If it weren't terrifying, it would have looked funny. It was the Rose Bowls pathetic management that caused the problem. :angry:

When they 'allow' a line up is something that can be debated.

Even if the venue says not on the property until 6AM, fans still line up across the street and organize. Sadly, some led by some heavy handed folks. I've also seen orderly lines that then get taken over by some that can be heavy-handed.

That aside, a better idea is if there was a representative from Principle Management AND Live Nation (promoter) overseeing the process the day before.

They wouldn't have to do tons other than observe and inform venue staff of what to do. It'd be far better than merely sending a memo of protocol to the location that venue staff don't seem to read or follow anyway.

If Principle Mgt and Live Nation person was on-site the day before and overlooked things and kept the venue staff in the loop as to what IS and ISN'T Kosher, there'd be no problems.

The facts about Pasadena was that we did line up in an orderly fashion on Saturday. The venue told us it was fine. They had no problem with it. We did everything they said and did not come back until they said to do so.

We waited all day and spoke with supervisors Sat night. It wasn't just fans lining up and getting the okay from just anyone. We spoke to supervisors. But there are more than one and they do not honor the decisions of the other supervisors, is what we found. Or a combination of that and they one's that made agreements didnt' pass the information to the next one on duty.

The problem is that one hand didn't know what the other was doing. In that, those that made agreements and deals with those in line - were not there the next morning.

BTW - The two guys that ran the VEGAS line? Fantastic. Nice. Orderly. Helpful. And just two really nice great (and not heavy-handed rude) fans.

To them, I have nothing but great things to say. A well-ran organized line - with staff that knows how to let a line in a bit at a time, so there is no crush, is a good thing.

And alleviating the tension of bad lines, misinformation about who what and where to line up... = happier fans and better vibe in the crowd... like in Vegas.

Back
Top Bottom