December 9, 2010 - Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great show. Despite the upper deck of the stadium being empty I thought the small crowd were a lot more into it than the first night.

The Mercy / Bad combo is pretty special. And Bad tonight was somewhat extended. After Edge's first solo part they went into almost free style with Bono adlibbing / snippeting something (can't remember sorry) and then they wound it up and Edge launched into the solo again. The ending was then nice with the band all bunched around Larry playing an extended outro (old style). A highlight.

The band intros were funny. Bono talked about what Edge, Adam and Larry were wearing. He intoduced himself as the MC for the evening.

All in all, another awesome show.

Got lift off this time!!

I arrived at the stadium at about 4.30pm, had a short wait in a smallish GA line outside while they were finishing up sound check. Gates opened and we just strolled into the inner circle and got our wrist bands. I was on the back rail of the inner circle on the left hand side as you look at the stage. What a awesome postion!!! I loved every moment of the show but still thought the crowd was flat even in the pit apart for the big moments. Must be an Aussie thing I think.

Don't know if anyone else noticed but the first time Edge walked over one of the bridges at the top of the show, he seems to almost fall over stepping off the bridge!

Thanks for a great show boys!!:applaud:

I really didn't enjoy tonights show at all. The security supervisor around the outer ring was a Nazi! Stopping people recording video even short little bursts of it and had his staff rudely tell us to start moving even before the video for rocket man was finished! He jumped in my face at the end of mercy for videoing it.

My poor mood at the show was exasperated by Bono's promise towards the beginning of the show to "take you to a completely different place to last night". Mercy and Bad were awesome, but then when IALW came through followed by MS, I felt really pissed off cause I knew there was nothing had changed.

The band also didn't give much energy despite the fact that the crowd were quite vocal. I think Bono has a cold.

Sorry if I've put a downer on the show for anyone. Just my feelings.

They’re multiplying. I got proper chills at the show tonight, despite the balmy temperature.

I was down in the middle of the pit on Edge’s side with my overly-generous Welsh mucker Brendan. One of my personal peeves about some shows is that I see them “on my own” (as such), or with a non-U2 fan couchsurf host. Therefore it was great to share seeing the show with a big U2 fan, and from a terrific spot in the pit.

And I had two of the most magical moments of the entire tour.

The first, and biggest, was during Bad. I’ve seen U2 play Bad six times on this tour but I’ve always been quite far from the stage - before tonight. And it was a glorious, extended version, more cohesive than Melbourne 1, and doubly, delightfully crescendic, nudging me deeply in that thing we loosely call our soul. But I also felt the intensity and beauty of the song physically like never before, and had goosebumps on my arms. At one prolonged stage during the song I felt a delicious chill float through my head and body, like a mild, musical MDMA rush. I quite possibly even had goatee goosebumps on my chin. (No, I hadn’t had a drop.) When the song finished I had only one response: “AGAIN!” It’s a song about the dangers of drug addiction but by golly it sure left me craving another immediate hit.

The other major highlight was standing below the bridge when Bono sang the operatic part of Miss Sarajevo. The stadium shrunk to a very small room at that moment. It was a real privilege to see him perform so majestically, at his absolute limit, so close.

And Bono may well have been ill! I noticed Bono go back to talk to Sam or Phil early in the show, and put his hand over his mouth and nose. I thought for a second that Bono might be asthmatic and he needed an inhaler. Later he was wearing a towel around his neck for a few songs. I banged into Auckland Dennis afterwards (he was centre on the outer rail). Dennis speculated that Bono had a cold and had something to keep his breathing clear on the towel. Perhaps the lack of snippets after ISHFWILF and Walk On are other clues. But if Bono did have a cold then he still sang spectacularly well. Miss Sarajevo, Bad, Amazing Grace, With Or Without You were all sung perfectly. And he was in his usual charming form, continually cracking jokes with audience and band, and energetically prowling the stage to engage the crowd, both collectively and individually.

I must say, I think U2 are playing phenomenally well on this leg, their base standard is very high. I’ve seen a few uninformed comments online that they are lazily phoning gigs in. No chance. The setlist doesn’t change much, but neither does the standard of their performances, although a couple of songs could definitely do with a refreshing wee rest.

My one big gripe with the show was the crowd in the pit. The atmosphere around us was mostly morguely, except when people were tasered into responding by specific well-known hits. Far too many people were standing passively watching the show with their arms folded, not singing or dancing, nor seemingly breathing. It reminded me of football fans mournfully watching their team lose a cup final or relegation decider. A few people even pushed past Brendan and me at the start of Bad! Bad was their pee or pint song. What an ignorant travesty.

There should be an entrance test to the pit consisting of two questions:

1) Have you a pulse?
2) Which world-famous music act wrote a song called ‘Bad’ in the 1980s?

But when the atmosphere was up, it really was up. God it’d be great to be in a pit packed with U2 fans who know Mercy and Bad. Or even Magnificent and Boots.
The band were beaten by the early Brisbane curfew, dashing urgently offstage with barely a g’night after a slightly longer version of With Or Without You. (They came onstage at 8:25pm, a little bit later than Brisbane 1.) So a slightly truncated gig, but only in time, not in intensity or enjoyment.

(Oh, and there were a lot of empty seats. The top tiers in both stands along the pitch were closed. Brisbane’s loss.)

My one big gripe with the show was the crowd in the pit. The atmosphere around us was mostly morguely,

Clearly they were all really pissed off at having to suffer the indignity of hearing In a Little While and Miss Sarajevo.

Or quadcaster's ire just spread like the plague through the entire pit.

Scratches head. I was in the pit, right side, at the back (was leaning on the fence behind me) and thought the crowd in there were pretty into it. More than the first night but not up to Melbourne's standards (esp Melbourne 2 which was manic).

Do we agree that on the whole the crowd were better for Brisbane 2 vs Brisbane 1?

The first, and biggest, was during Bad. I’ve seen U2 play Bad six times on this tour but I’ve always been quite far from the stage - before tonight. And it was a glorious, extended version, more cohesive than Melbourne 1, and doubly, delightfully crescendic, nudging me deeply in that thing we loosely call our soul. But I also felt the intensity and beauty of the song physically like never before, and had goosebumps on my arms.

Yes! A believer. Bad was phenomenal last night.

Agree too they are playing really well on this leg despite all the set list hate that seems to be out there. IALW has the space station 'link up' and it also is the moment where Bono pulls the girl out of the crowd. Does anyone seriously expect them not to play it? Get over it. In the 4 shows I've seen the crowd gets off on Bono pulling the girl from the crowd and that's enough to carry the song.

Here's a +ve analysis of the set list: It contains 4 non-album tracks, 2 of which are brand new. It contains an album track never ever played live before. How many set lists in the past would look like that? So for everyone who likes to play 'measure the set list by statistics' (which is actually an excuse to bash ATYCLB) then here's a counter example for you.

I went to both Brisbane shows, and the first one was definitely the better of the two. For that one I was pretty much in the middle between the two stages, slightly to Edge's side. Last night I was further round on Edge's side, one person off the back rail of the pit. First night I was with friends, mostly U2 virgins, 1 other who loves them as much as I do. Last night I was on my own and had the misfortune of being stuck near a bunch of drunk bogans, one of whom kept flashing her breasts (why she didn't get kicked out by security the second time she did it I'll never know). There was more inappropriate behaviour on her part, but I'm unwilling to name it on a public forum. She and her friends kept trying to push through to the barrier, but everyone stood their ground.

Apart from that unpleasantness, the show was great. I'm glad they mixed up the setlist - Bad was spectacular, I got to hear Mercy (though between that and Northern Star, I'd pick the latter - I hadn't heard either before the shows), it was good to hear Hold Me (and I LOVE Ultraviolet). I guess I'm pretty easy to please, I'm just grateful for the chance to stand on a field and listen to them play, because I love their music :love: I have songs I like more than others, but there's something about U2 live that just gets me in a way nothing else does. I was disappointed not to hear MOS again, but WOWY was a good closer. And personally I love hearing Miss Sarajevo.

I don't feel that the crowd got into it as much last night as the first show - looking around the pit there wasn't as much dancing going on, and the audience singalongs and call outs were less prominent too. I think there were a lot more people there last night because they could get tickets, rather than because they really wanted to be there, but that's just my opinion.

I saw Edge nearly fall, and the nose/mouth gesture Bono made. Highlight for me last night was Edge playing guitar to the crowd in my section on the bridge above and just in front of me, and Larry stopping on the catwalk in front of me, and smiling at us as he went by.

I looked around at the stands a couple of times last night and I'm glad I didn't get seats, people weren't getting up to dance much even to the big numbers. I can't comment on the first night, I was too busy cutting loose to look at anyone except the band!

One other difference I noticed - the first night Dallas, Sam and the other techs got a shout out from the crowd when they appeared, but last night I didn't see any reaction at all to their appearance.

ETA - I'd say the first show was better than the second because of the crowd - the first night there was more singing along, call and response stuff happening, which in turn got the band going more, there just didn't seem to be as much of that last night.

Last edited:
The first, and biggest, was during Bad. I’ve seen U2 play Bad six times on this tour but I’ve always been quite far from the stage - before tonight. And it was a glorious, extended version, more cohesive than Melbourne 1, and doubly, delightfully crescendic, nudging me deeply in that thing we loosely call our soul. But I also felt the intensity and beauty of the song physically like never before, and had goosebumps on my arms. At one prolonged stage during the song I felt a delicious chill float through my head and body, like a mild, musical MDMA rush. I quite possibly even had goatee goosebumps on my chin. (No, I hadn’t had a drop.) When the song finished I had only one response: “AGAIN!” It’s a song about the dangers of drug addiction but by golly it sure left me craving another immediate hit.
ughhhh... don't tell me that. i left Brisbane Thursday afternoon :sad:

i must see U2 in Europe before i die... a friend of my cousin saw them in Athens and Milan and said that you'd be lucky to find even one person sitting down in the seats at any point during the show.

2 highlights from last night:

2 older Pacific Islander women stood in front of me (we three kept the faith for our section :lol: ) for the whole show, sang along to every word and really belted out the more religious lyrics with enthusiasm.

Next to us, 2 teenage lads (with their mum?). They didn't stand for most of it, but really got into the songs, were rocking out in their seats and stared at the Claw a lot wondering what the hell would happen next!

I have much faith in U2 audiences :love:

PS saw Jay-z both nights. I like :up: (one for you, cobble :sexywink: )

Last night I was on my own and had the misfortune of being stuck near a bunch of drunk bogans, one of whom kept flashing her breasts (why she didn't get kicked out by security the second time she did it I'll never know). There was more inappropriate behaviour on her part, but I'm unwilling to name it on a public forum.

were they good breasts?

i must see U2 in Europe before i die... a friend of my cousin saw them in Athens and Milan and said that you'd be lucky to find even one person sitting down in the seats at any point during the show.

Yeah, I think this is true. Many audiences in Europe will go crazy just because they see U2 onstage, irrespective of whether they actually recognise the songs or not. They're just kinda like that culturally. Maybe Aussies still have some of that British reserve ...

But Amazing Grace has been absolutely stunning when it's been sung by the whole crowd here or in NZ, as was Unchained Melody and Stand By Me. When they know the song, Aussies open up. I just wish thousands more people at gigs knew the more "obscure" U2 songs.

U2 gigs are already the best I've seen... just imagine how mindblowing they'd be if everyone knew all the album tracks...

A pipe dream, I know.

Well I was the guy with Cathal last night at Brisbane 2 and want to do a quick personal recap of the 2 shows.

I came to Australia to watch U2 as I always knew the Aussies really know how to enjoy themselves and as U2 feed off the crowd, the shows should be phenomenal!!!

First, u2 played absolutely fantastic both nights!!! no "Dialing it in"!!!! They wouldn't know how to if they tried. It's the only way they can play!!! I agree with Cathal they are on top form right now. Lack of variation in set list does not make them lazy. They are perfectionists unfortunately which makes them stick to a proven and well rehearsed setlist format with a few exceptions on occasion, such as doing something they haven't done since 82 which is playing future unreleased tracks!!

It was great to see Bad again and it was a spine tingling version and all the more special when you haven't heard it live for a while!!Miss Sarejevo being sung by Bono 5 foot above your head has to be on your bucket list if you truly knew what an overwhelming experience it is!!!!I've had that pleasure at least 5 times and it NEVER gets and will never get old!!

I still love hearing the old classics like Pride, New Year's day especially because the kick the general crowd gets from it. I even got back into With or Without you last night after getting really tired of it!!!I can't explain why but it just did.

Now about the crowd. From my perspective. Brisbane 2 was better. The pit to my right on Edges side were really into It. Cathal's side to my left were rather subdued to say the least except for one blonde standing right infront of Cathal who was REALLY moving!!!

I have to say though. I am a little disappointed overall with the Aussie crowds in Brisbane and hope Sydney is better. My last gigs were at Coimbra in October and the crowds' response were something I will always remember as one the best I have ever been at, including the Croke park, Point Depot and Cardiff gigs. I'm convinced we got Boy Falls from the sky as reward for the crowd reaction. They always seem more willing to take risks on nights when it really goes off and those gigs exploded!!!!

Gates opened and we just strolled into the inner circle and got our wrist bands.

omg that sounds so mellow and perfect! next time, i am going to Oz! here in France, we have to do the gate-opening lethal crush, followed by the full-pitch sprint of death to get into the inner circle ha!

Australian crowds - music, sports, whatever - are generally pretty lethargic. Chilled I would say. A football game in Australia has nothing on a soccer game in Europe. There's just not the same overt manic passion, even though in a fan to fan comparison, the dedication would absolutely be about the same. It's just... we're chilled. Less reserved, more relaxed.

I wouldn't expect the Sydney crowds to be any more or less rowdy than anywhere else in Australia, but it will be a very big (90K+, at least for the first show, twice the size of Brisbane) and those moments where it's all-in, massive crowd singing - that's where the Sydney crowd will come out on top. Fantastic.

A football game in Australia has nothing on a soccer game in Europe. There's just not the same overt manic passion, even though in a fan to fan comparison, the dedication would absolutely be about the same. It's just... we're chilled. Less reserved, more relaxed.
agreed about the comparison... but i would hardly describe the crowd at an AFL game as chilled.

Been to loads of AFL games in Sydney, and a couple in Melbourne (both @ MCG), and while AFL definitely has the best crowds in Australian sport, compared to the EPL games I've been to... they're chilled.

The pit to my right on Edges side were really into It. Cathal's side to my left were rather subdued to say the least except for one blonde standing right infront of Cathal who was REALLY moving!!!

This is the point! We should be noticing the people in the pit who *aren't* dancing and singing, not the specific individuals ("two there ... and one here") who are!

That blonde lass was quite cute though :)

My last gigs were at Coimbra in October and the crowds' response were something I will always remember as one the best I have ever been at, including the Croke park, Point Depot and Cardiff gigs. I'm convinced we got Boy Falls from the sky as reward for the crowd reaction. They always seem more willing to take risks on nights when it really goes off and those gigs exploded!!!!

Agree that the Coimbra audience was AMAZING-- best crowd I've ever been a part of as well! :applaud: I think only *maybe* Latin America could top them. :D

Agree that the Coimbra audience was AMAZING-- best crowd I've ever been a part of as well! :applaud: I think only *maybe* Latin America could top them. :D

I forgot to add Birmingham NE August 3rd 87 was one of the best if not the best crowd!!!! We Got Silver & Gold AND Spanish Eyes that night!!!!! And EVERYONE around me was singing the words to Spanish Eyes. A Truly special night!!

There were a ton of people at Vertigo in Croke Park wearing U2 Portugal tshirts that got me thinking that Portugal would be special and by god was I right!!!!

I'm hoping the "90K' at Sydney will make a difference. I feel so priveleged to be in this position to come here so I will enjoy the shows regardless.

For Brisbane 2, despite plans to get there early and take advantage of the shorter GA queue, I was lazy and didn't arrive until 5pm. Anyway I went inside and went into the inner circle, getting a stamp on the way in.

At this point I was not sure at all as to where I wanted to stand during the show, so I 'tested' out some spots, like behind red zone, outside the outer rail and of course had a look as to where I could stand in the inner circle, but strangely didn't really feel like going in there.

So here I was standing around getting fairly bored as I knew Jay Z would be a while still, so I decided I would grab a passout and head back to my hotel to grab my camera. I had purposely left it there so I would in theory enjoy the show more and not be tempted to take photos, but figured if I didn't get it something really good would happen. Plus it took up some time.

I arrived back just as Jay Z's countdown was into its final minute, and so stood on the level 1 concourse with hundreds of others to have a look, but unsurprisingly the suncorp staff gave us the hurry up to our 'seats' (don't mess with me, I'm GA bro :lol:)

Anyway I got back to the field and stood in the middle of the field to watch Jay Z (another great performance). However, since there were countless tipsy people with the intention of getting drunk during the night, and a lot of casuals, not to mention some loud as annoying girl behind me that laughed like a horse-hyena cross, I decided I did not want to stay there.

So since I had my inner circle stamp, I decided I would stand next to the band entry stairs and watch them come on. It was very fun there, there was about 7 of us on Edge's side of the stage, and we got visits from Dallas and Rocko. But it just seemed to open my eyes up to how close a bond the whole crew share, and how fun it is for them (look at their job afterall :wink:). Oh and almost everyone elses eyes were opened when some woman decided her breasts belonged outside her clothes, right in front of the police (I think someone here already mentioned her).

Anyway the came on and it was awesome to see them up real close. So then for the rest of the night I ran back and forward from the back area of the stage to the side of it, depending on the band member's locations. It was a good area, it had a relaxed atmosphere and some fairly dedicated fans, which made it a very fun show to watch.

Highlights for me included Mercy->Bad of course, Bono's band intros, and while not part of the show, it was great to get to see the underworld 'naked' as they began dismantling the stage, until they security guys, including what I thought was a very close John Farnham look a like dragged us out with their yellow caution tape. :lol: :crack:

Sorry about the length of this, I just talk a lot of boring useless info and am not very comprehensive, but anyway. :)

Amazing show pretty much sums it up. The band seemed to be on fire, and the crowd, though about 10,000 less than the first night, seemed to be a lot louder, at least down on the ground where I was. I had a Red Zone spot on the rail and seeing the Edge rocking the fuck out in Mysterious Ways just four feet in front of you is an indescribable experience. It is awesome when a band member walks right past your area as everyone around you goes absolutely batshit.
Bravo guys, you have not failed to impress.

So since I had my inner circle stamp, I decided I would stand next to the band entry stairs and watch them come on. It was very fun there, there was about 7 of us on Edge's side of the stage, and we got visits from Dallas and Rocko. But it just seemed to open my eyes up to how close a bond the whole crew share, and how fun it is for them (look at their job afterall :wink:). Oh and almost everyone elses eyes were opened when some woman decided her breasts belonged outside her clothes, right in front of the police (I think someone here already mentioned her).

Anyway the came on and it was awesome to see them up real close. So then for the rest of the night I ran back and forward from the back area of the stage to the side of it, depending on the band member's locations. It was a good area, it had a relaxed atmosphere and some fairly dedicated fans, which made it a very fun show to watch.

Highlights for me included Mercy->Bad of course, Bono's band intros, and while not part of the show, it was great to get to see the underworld 'naked' as they began dismantling the stage, until they security guys, including what I thought was a very close John Farnham look a like dragged us out with their yellow caution tape. :lol: :crack:

Sorry about the length of this, I just talk a lot of boring useless info and am not very comprehensive, but anyway. :)
Hey I was in the behind the stage seats, in the middle, and my friend and I spent time watching you guys high fiving Dallas when he came down the stairs. :D

And yes anytime any band member wandered around the back, the inner circle there (not to mention the behind the seats mob :shifty: ) went bat shit crazy...

And yep tit skank. Don't know where she came from and how she got into the inner circle, considering her male friend looked as pissed as she was. To the behind the stage crowd's credit, everyone around me seemed as pissed off as I was. Go back to the Accadacca concert, fool!!!

Back
Top Bottom