December 8, 2010 - Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathalmc View Post
Who's Oprah?
God.

Friggin' Cobbler, loved the review. Laughed at the clock thing. Agreed about Pride - isn't it weird to see/hear a non-reaction to Pride? That's what happened at the first Chicago show.

Can't agree about your friend who said Bono was too old to be pulling girls onstage. It's not like he's making out with them. (Last I checked, anyway.)

But a good read. Would read again. "Like." +1 Etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
45:33

Local Time: 05:41 AM
we used to have this joke, in year nine. the cool black kid in our class, Emmanuel, used to say "what would Oprah do?" whenever a problem that needed solving arose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
God.

Friggin' Cobbler, loved the review. Laughed at the clock thing. Agreed about Pride - isn't it weird to see/hear a non-reaction to Pride? That's what happened at the first Chicago show.

Can't agree about your friend who said Bono was too old to be pulling girls onstage. It's not like he's making out with them. (Last I checked, anyway.)

But a good read. Would read again. "Like." +1 Etc.
cheers

i love that he brings girls on stage, makes IALW even more worth it imo. the girl he brought up at Brisbane 1 was overcome with emotion, the crowd really lapped it up. great to watch.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

People act like turning 50 is The End. I mean damn, he's not Hugh Hefner all of a sudden.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Danny spots me and comes over, and remains with me for the rest of the show. (In a show of solidarity we both thoroughly enjoy singing every word). People James knows come and go. Jay-Z starts at 6:30, and once again he is brilliant, getting the crowd going once again. My particular highlights from his set are the final part of Encore, where Jay-Z warms the crowd up for U2 with his "they're a small band who got a shot at making it big one day, they in the dressingroom, you gotta be louder than you have so far" line, and then the band explode into the cacophonic brass-led ending. The other highlight is this wicked mash up the band do against Everything in its Right Place, with Jay going, "I think I'm in the right place tonight, make some noise if you in the right place tonight."

The plane lands safely in Melbourne once again. I charge my phone when I get home and discover a text from Danny, who has taken a picture with his iphone of a picture on his digital camera of him and Bono. I am struck by vicious anger and jealousy, but am very happy for him, and the look on his face in the photo is one of pure, unadultered, barely restrained joy.

And so my run of gigs has come to and end. I loved them all (though I am slightly annoyed I didn't cry at any of them - I'm always annoyed when I don't cry at things I wish I cried at, but it's probably hard to start crying when you're consciously thinking about it) and am starting to suffer some post-gig blues.

I think that was Jay-Z's best show so far. As for Brisbane 2 the stadium was barley 1/4 when he came on (it quickly filled up during his set) but yeah.

Without bragging too much here is the actual photo!

I had tears during Walk On in both Melbourne 2 and Brisbane 1...I have little bit of a connection with that song (as well as Kite) with my Pa who passed away last year.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
Refugee

Wow, you almost got Bono to smile, good on ya
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
I think that was Jay-Z's best show so far. As for Brisbane 2 the stadium was barley 1/4 when he came on (it quickly filled up during his set) but yeah.

Without bragging too much here is the actual photo!

I had tears during Walk On in both Melbourne 2 and Brisbane 1...I have little bit of a connection with that song (as well as Kite) with my Pa who passed away last year.
Goddamnit you lucky man.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Nice.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #23

I was pretty choked up during Kite in 06... I still don't think I cried though. I don't know why I care that I don't, frustrating.

Anyway please post every minute detail of the moments leading up to meeting Bono, actually meeting him, and the aftermath.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Fantastic pic Danny! Yeah, you've gotta share the tale!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsearls
(Kevin Rudd was standing right behind me).
How did I miss this!!! Did you speak to him? How did he react during the concert? How many songs did he know? Did he get up at all?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How did I miss this!!! Did you speak to him? How did he react during the concert? How many songs did he know? Did he get up at all?
Apparently he moved a bit but not very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
Kevin Rudd
Then U2 concert with much justifiable criticism from fellow concert goers of my ability to move in time with music. KRudd
Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathalmc View Post
Fantastic pic Danny! Yeah, you've gotta share the tale!
Haha.

Well it was just a bit of stalking at the bands hotel most of the afternoon before Brisbane 2. Adam had came out about an hour before I arrived, a few people got some quick photo's and a few short autographs. Edge snuck away unnoticed and I've no idea about Larry.

Then about 4pm one of the security dudes at the hotel said "Alright everyone move into over to this side, and just keep calm and stay cool....If you are all under control the longer he stays, otherwise He'll go"

At this stage I was hoping "He" wasn't Jay-Z

So Bono comes out about 4:15-4:30. I was in the middle of the "queue" that grew to about 30+ people in the end. But I got to shake the great man's hand....I asked him which has been his favourite show of the Australian leg. He said "Well you know downstairs (Crew Under the stage) said last night (Brisbane 1) has been the best sounding show" My response was "Well as good as last night was Melbourne 2 has been my favourite" Bono pauses for a bit and ponders "hmm" .... "That was when we did stuck in a moment...yeah that was pretty cool" (I assume he meant the whole show ) ...and that was it.

I so wanted to say how awesome it was to hear Bad at Melb 1...but I was a bit of a blubbery mess...it was lucky I struck up some sort of converastion.

To top the day off, they played Bad and it was another awesome show!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #28
Refugee

Here's my view on the non reaction to Pride. New Year's Day gets the same flat'ish reaction. Why?

Well look around the GA pit. A lot of 20 somethings there. They didn't grow up listening to UF and JT. They weren't born then. Some of them weren't even born when AB came out.

For many of them, ATYCLB may have been their first U2 album. That is the Beautiful Day effect. For these people, the 80's material simply does not resonate with them as much as it does for me say (late 30's). The 80's material is a part of my life. Not theirs though.

So if I can tie this with the ATYCLB set-list hatred thread, well I reckon favouring that album isn't a bad thing. It is the album that probably resonates most with the 2nd generation of fans. U2 are all about the future and that's where they are trying to hit the hardest with their set-list. Pride and NYD do not move these people.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #29

Awesome Danny.

That is very sad if true Andrew, Pride & NYD move me (I'm 20) a great deal.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #30
Refugee

Dunno if I am right or not. Just a guess. It is true though that the GA reaction to Pride and NYD is pretty flat. Plenty of other songs out rate it. COBL, Elevation, Vertigo for instance. All newer songs, hence my theory about the average age of the people in the pit and the songs that hit them the most. For older fans these are 'new' U2 songs. But we know another band, the 80's U2. The younger people don't know that band. They don't know, for instance, the 'mystique' the band had in 1987. Maybe they watch the 80's video clips and think 'wtf! who is that?'.