December 3, 2010 - Etihad Stadium - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a frickin' amazing time!! :D Was second row from the centre of the stage... it was just pure awesomeness!! Loved the fact that the issues I had with sound on Wednesday night completely disappeared last night. Bono sounded fantastic, and the band looked like they were having a great time. Oh... and Bono swung over me during Ultraviolet!!! No 'Bad' though... :( But at least we got it Wednesday night!!

My sister had cheap seats up in Level 3 and loved it as well. From her videos, the claw and the whole stadium looked amazing. :) Much better than my view of it all from my $300 Level 1 seat on Wednesday night...

Overall, the whole day was amazing. :D Met some really lovely U2 fans in line; was great to meet people who also got so excited over U2!! :D

Will post photos (and hopefully video) soon!

I, alas, was not as keen on the show. The first eight songs were amazing, then ... well, Crazy Tonight was fantastic as always, and Scarlet is bliss. But my opinions on some of the rest of the set may not be all too popular here. I'll simply say that honestly, it was such a disappointment to end my run of 360 shows with that. I wish the two Melbourne shows could've been swapped, because the first Melbourne show was in the top tier of shows I've seen this tour.

But to close, may I just reiterate that Scarlet is bliss? Even with Bono blathering on over it, Scarlet is bliss.

I really liked Friday's show. Agree that it peaked at the mid point and then tailed off a little. Still very high standard though and up to Crazy they were so much on fire that it almost had to mellow out. UV was awesome though.

Wednesday had the better setlist. But I prefered Friday overall. Possibly because the sound was so much better.

My criticism of the setlist is Walk On. Having them leave the stage (albeit briefly) after this song is weird. It makes people go flat. Similarly MOS seems to create a weird flat sensation in the crowd. I don't think the punters realise it is the last song and then when they figure it out they are a bit miffed.

Up to Brisbane next.

I agree Axver that Wednesday's show was superior to Friday's but in my universe I am just glad to be at any of them.

I think they peaked too early by doing the Hamish and Andy thing! ;)

and yes...Scarlet :drool:

Andrew: Cathal and I came to find you in line, but the guy with your numbe was an Andrew with no knowledge or interference. Weird!

I preferred Friday show to Wednesday show. I loved the setlist. The sound quality was superior and I reckon there were more people which makes for a better concert for me.

Achtunggirl, where were you? I was also second from the front. If you run along the front row there was the blonde girl who was pulled on to the stage, then her Mum, the Janna from Brazil, then Shannon. I was standing behind Shannon, and to the right of Marty. I'll laugh if we were right near each other and didn't know it.

Although the setlist was not as good as Wednesday's show, I've never had such a fun time at a u2 concert.

The only downside I thought was stuck in a moment (when Bono started rambling on about film makers I thought it was going to be Stay) I thought that was the only 'buzzkill' in my eyes.

Bring on Brisbane! But a good few days break is very nice, thanks U2. :wink:

When Bono was talking about Lowenstein I knew the song was going to be Stuck in the Moment as Lowenstein did many of INXS' ful clips. Youse young ones need to learn some irrelevant crap about bands : p

I preferred Friday show to Wednesday show. I loved the setlist. The sound quality was superior and I reckon there were more people which makes for a better concert for me.

Achtunggirl, where were you? I was also second from the front. If you run along the front row there was the blonde girl who was pulled on to the stage, then her Mum, the Janna from Brazil, then Shannon. I was standing behind Shannon, and to the right of Marty. I'll laugh if we were right near each other and didn't know it.

I was to the left of the blonde girl (near Bono's mic, but closer to the Edge than Adam)... I think there were about five people between her and I! They actually placed the ladder right in front of the guy in front of me, and then moved it over to her. So we were probably pretty close! Were you standing to the right or to the left of her? It would be hilarious if we were standing next to each other! Glad you enjoyed your night!

I, alas, was not as keen on the show. The first eight songs were amazing, then ... well, Crazy Tonight was fantastic as always, and Scarlet is bliss. But my opinions on some of the rest of the set may not be all too popular here. I'll simply say that honestly, it was such a disappointment to end my run of 360 shows with that. I wish the two Melbourne shows could've been swapped, because the first Melbourne show was in the top tier of shows I've seen this tour.

But to close, may I just reiterate that Scarlet is bliss? Even with Bono blathering on over it, Scarlet is bliss.

Scarlet certainly is bliss!! It's just so gorgeous... A few months ago, I never would have imagined that I would hear it live.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, Axver. I was disappointed on Wednesday night, despite the fact that I preferred the set list. I had seats, and the sound was too off for me to properly enjoy the night... I just felt so distant and disconnected... that's never happened to me at a U2 concert before. I think it would have been a different story had I been standing in GA.

I still think, however, that Melbourne 1 and 2 from 2006 were the best concerts I'll ever experience...

Awesome Show :drool: Loved it! The setlist change ups, Streets streets streeeets!!!, seeing the mirrorball, and everything else. I was level 2 in the cheap seats in aisle 46 i think?

Return of the Stingray has so much power! perfect opener!

The Downside: The crowd's energy, it looked crazy down in GA, but along level two up the stage end of the stadium, from what I saw it was fair flat. Luckily the people in the 3 rows in front of us (we were row D) were really into it, so we stood up and went nuuuuts! :hyper:. Then during Elevation i think i took my eyes off the stage for the first time, looked behind me and everyone was sitting down? seriously barely moving I thought they were a heap of mannequins! :crack:

Didn't bother us though, we still had a great time. Only sat down during Tutu (boy did we need to rest for a sec), then after one Streets started and it had to be the most epic thing I have ever seen. You all know what I mean there's no point going on about it :lol: :wink:.

Oh and then Ultraviolet :drool:. Awesome. :applaud:

Leaving Etihad was crazy, so many people! It felt weird though knowing that everyone around you had just seen the same ridiculously great show you did. I guess concerts are like going to a sporting match, and you're team can't lose, everyone wins and you're left with that winning feeling that you get when you go to a game Richmond actually wins!, but even better of course!

So then we grabbed a 7-11 slurpee :lol: , drank that and a 1.5 L water in about 5 minutes then headed to hotel for some sleeeep.

Also, I didn't know what to expect from Jay Z, but even though i didn't know most of the songs, and it's not my style he is an AWESOME opener, a true class entertainer!

If anyone actually read this nonsense then thanks! :wink:

Stingray is fucking awesome. I just think the song needs to roll into a hard rocker song.

Bono can do his 'get the crowd into it' thing and then BAM into Boots or something. I just feel it's a bit of a drop in intensity when beautiful day starts..as it take a little while longer to get going.

Just my thoughts, didn't ruin my life or annoying :)

I was excited about having seats, as I didn't fully appreciate the stage and its setup and lighting on Wednesday, and also the sound didn't seem all that clear, so I thought maybe seats up on the third level would solve that problem.
I haven't shut up about the gig I went to in 2006 since that night, and I should mention that I had seats on the third level for that gig, side-on to the stage. So even though I was in GA on Wednesday that 06 was still better... for a multitude of personal reasons.
I'll say straight up that this gig was absolutely FANTASTIC, but my enjoyment of it was severely hampered by the people around me. But I'll get to that soon.
Not having to spend half a day at Etihad was a nice change, so I caught the train into Southern Cross to meet a friend at 5. There was a cute girl a few seats ahead of me on the train wearing a U2 shirt, but I didn't end up speaking to her.
I got to the Loco Bar, this cool, relaxed, white bar at Southern Cross Station and noticed they stocked my favourite beer,
carlton-dry-fusion.jpg
so I had and watched Australia get spanked in the cricket on a glitchy digital TV. I sat for about half an hour by myself, using the iphone to give the illusion i was busy, or something, listening to the music they were playing, which was all 00s U2.
Scriha rocked up about 540 or so, as his train was late, and we talked about last night's gig and I told him how unlucky he was not to have heard MLK (it's got personal significance for him). He probably didn't need to hear that... Swaney and a few of his mates rocked up about 10 minutes later and we had a beer or two as we shot the breeze and chewed the fat before taking off over the footbridge to Etihad about 6pm. We bid adieu to Swaney and co., as they had GA tickets.
When we finally got to our seats we were just blown away by the view:
c2.jpg
, and yes, there was just three minutes and 44 seconds until hova graced the stage.
I thought Jay-Z was even better than on Wednesday. He was a bit chattier (even taking off his Ray-Bans at one point, Scriha and I both commented later on how small his eyes looked) and also added Hard Knock Life to the set, just before Encore. To our left, maybe aisle 48 or so, there were a bunch of skinny white teenagers jumping around, and they seemed to know most of the words. Scriha overheard one of them in the toilet say, "that's the best 40 bucks i ever spent!" and then apparently they went home.
I listened closely to the people around me after Jay-Z finished. Most sat there unmoved, with one couple commenting, "he was very loud".
The seats began to fill quicker as the clock took to the video screen. Now a two-show veteran, it was interesting watching people as they randomly realised the clock was running fast. There were two blank seats behind me and Scriha which had me happy, as it meant i would not be obstructing anyone's view, but alas, they arrived soon before Space Oddity began. One man, must have been one of the road crew, ran out fist pumping and a few people cheered until they realised it wasn't Bono. Tonight I was one of the many cheering as the band walked from the behind the stage to begin Stingray and I immediately noticed that the sound was much clearer. I figured this was because I was further away and not within a few metres of a ton of speakers. I was up on my feet already but I was tapped on the back for the first time just before the song ended. I sat down and then jumped up again as Beautiful Day started, but after a minute or so I was told to sit down again. ]
Scriha's "maybe favourite" U2 song is New Year's Day and I love it too, so I was hoping they'd swap it with IWF like they had on other shows this tour. and my GOD, if there was ever a "warhorse" that deserves every-night status it's this one. The bass at the start is so heavy and I jumped in the air as Bono sang "yeaaaaaaaaahhhh ohhhhh hooooo". But as sure as the sun rises each day, I was tapped on the back and told to sit down.
The reaction to Elevation again seemed lathargic, but UTETOW sounded even better than it did the night before. I was one of about three or four people in the vicinity who was up for this song, I must have looked like a complete fool to these people, shredding guitar, fistpumping and jumping as the song came to a cacophonic close.
Acoustic Stuck was next, which was a horrendous replacement for Mercy, but it gave me a chance to get my breath back. I've always been a big Stuck fan, but I sat comfortably during this one.
Pride is surely the most complained-about live song on this forum. Many people have wished it never to return, saying it's hugely inferior to the album version. Maybe it is, but you'd think Edge just screeching feedback for four minutes if you believe what you read on here. I think it's terrific live so again I was on my feet, and stunned by the almost non-reaction from the crowd as the song began. It was one of the bigger moments of the 06 show so I thought I wouldn't be alone in jumping to my feet. Scriha is a bit shier than me but he was up for moments as well. He commented that the girl Bono took on stage for IALW was "pretty hot" and I couldn't help but agree.
Bono again nailed the opera part in Sarajevo, and again I was one of the few on my feet as he sang it. The reaction wasn't as strong as the night before.
I began to get really annoyed when the outstanding double whammy of
c3.jpg
and Vertigo still didn't get the majority of the seated crowd on their feet, and lost my patience when during the Crazy Tonight remix I was tapped more forcefully on the back and told, "can you sit down! we can't see anything". I was furious and so I looked around for a place where Scriha and I could stand in peace. After the show I thought about it and I guess I could see where these people were coming from... many were older than I and were content to sit down (I'm sure they still enjoyed it) but why should I be made to feel bad? Why should my enjoyment of the show be tempered? Scriha and I moved to the aisle after Crazy Tonight, right up to fence, where we were promptly roared at by a fat bloke to move, filthy that he had to get out of his seat. We found a spot just in front of two seats where there were no seats, and remained there for the rest of the show. The two women behind us stood up for 90% of the time from that point onwards, and didn't annoy us when we stood for the next 30 minutes, thankfully.
No Jay-Z for Sunday Bloody Sunday, which sounded better than on Wednesday I thought, and Scarlet and Walk On fell a bit flatter too it seemed. I wondered how many people out of 60,000 knew "reeeeejoooooooooooooooooice" was Scarlet.
Scriha and I laughed at Tutu's enthusiasm and then One began. THIS was the moment where annoyance turned into frustration. Probably 80% of the area I was in remained seated during One (again missing "do you hear us coming lord") but I was actually shattered when Streets began. It's so fucking magical, and yet probably about 60-70% of the people in my area were STILL SITTING when the song finished. I can understand sitting for the quieter songs, songs you don't know. I don't understand but can see how some people will sit for the majority of the show. But there are moments at live shows where the occasion just calls for you to rise out of your seats, also known as, Where the Streets Have No Name. And yet as I looked around many people remained seated, unmoved, as if they were watching a movie. I'd almost lost control of my body and got a few smiles of support from those around me standing up. So I couldn't enjoy Streets as much because of the crowd. There was no reaction from Bono similar to Wednesday night, so far as I could tell.
~
I was hoping they'd swap HMTM with Ultraviolet and I screamed really quite loudly when Bono began, "sometimes i feel like i don't know..." and I realised that I was pretty much the only uber-fan in the section. No one knew the song and a few gave me weird looks and laughed at my reaction. Thankfully I had ceased to care and I was blown away by Ultraviolet. It was simply phenomenal, what a song to bring back into the setlist after 15 years. WOWY and MOS were both shorter as the crowd wasn't as receptive, with no continuation of MOS' "oh oh ohs", as hard as Scriha and I tried.
We thanked the women behind us for letting us stand, not caring what their reply was, "these people don't know how to have a good time!!" Scriha replied.
I got numerous texts after the show proclaiming it to be possibly the best gig they'd ever been to (and these were from serious, multi-show fans) so I was disappointed because though I agreed the band was on fire and it maybe it was a better show than Wednesday, i didn't enjoy myself anywhere near as much thanks to the crowd.

I don't know. I guess I'm just different to these people. I can't sit down at a concert. I'm just very happy that my final 360 show is on Wednesday night in Brisbane, with cousins who are fans, whom I don't see often, in GA, because I don't want my last memory to a poor crowd.

Scriha and I disucssed songs we hate and the tennis on the way home and then I was asleep not long after going to bed with a big day ahead at Steresonic, a house music festival, the next day. Strange combination indeed.

Thanks for the great reviews - made me relive the first concert in a really good way. What seat where you in on Friday? It looks very close to where my wife and 10 year-old son were! They were very happy with the view. I'd got presale tix and was hoping they would be good. It sounded as if the band went round the back more than on Wednesday, which I was a bit worried about.

i was in aisle 45, about five or six rows from the fence. it's worth getting one of those seats for the view alone, incredible. better than the $300 seats on level one from all reports!

I don't know. I guess I'm just different to these people. I can't sit down at a concert. I'm just very happy that my final 360 show is on Wednesday night in Brisbane, with cousins who are fans, whom I don't see often, in GA, because I don't want my last memory to a poor crowd.

Inhibitions don't belong in a U2 show. Glad you seemed to have a good time for most of the show despite anyone you were near.

I contemplated very briefly getting a seat for the second show to appreciate the stage/lighting etc. more but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I figure I can appreciate the visuals on the DVD (obviously not as much), but I couldn't bear the prospect of losing the atmosphere of being in GA. Maybe if I saw 10 shows I'd get a seat for one.

haha sitting on level 3 at the second show was pretty average, the crowd around me were idiots as well, refusing to get into it and generally getting drunk. Some retard spilt beer on me when he was doing the mexican wave.

kennerado said:
haha sitting on level 3 at the second show was pretty average, the crowd around me were idiots as well, refusing to get into it and generally getting drunk. Some retard spilt beer on me when he was doing the mexican wave.

Haha. Fool. That "retard" was me not holding my plastic cup of beer properly and flicking beer on you. I just didn't say anything at the time, hoping you wouldn't notice ;)

The problem with level 3 was the lukewarm response to pretty much every song other than I Still Haven't Found, Beaut Day, New Years Day and Streets. Surrounded by older couples, not really proper U2 fans. No one around us was standing, barely singing. While it was good to see the full light show, GA is the way.

Nothing beats Wednesday night for me. It was far better than Melbourne 1 in 2006. Melbourne 1 in 2010 will go down as one of the best moments of my life.

Similarly MOS seems to create a weird flat sensation in the crowd. I don't think the punters realise it is the last song and then when they figure it out they are a bit miffed.

Up to Brisbane next.

Absolutley - was a very flat ending and seemed like Bono had to go through the motions of introducing the band to get some applause so they could finish!

Kite ending in 06 was uplifting, MOS ending was a downer!

Back
Top Bottom