December 1, 2010 - Etihad Stadium - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will share a review from an ex work colleague who just emailed me - he's seen them multiple times in Aus/US/Europe (incl. Slane.)

"Best.Fucking.Streets.Ever."

So, I'm hoping a better video pops up on youtube, the one on there doesn't really give that much away - looks fairly average (in a good way) - apart from Bono evidently loving it.

i will write a review soon
but for my first ever u2 concert it was incredible !
bad and i will follow i couldnt ask for more, they seemed to genuinely enjoy themselves on stage
Streets was sick also

“Welcome back! Fucking right!”

It took a wee while to get there, but Melbourne eventually shook off its inhibitions at what was a storming gig last night.

I was treated to a taste of pre-show pampering. My old housemate Aileen is currently living and working in Sydney for a year. Her company had organised a corporate event at the Etihad Stadium before the concert last night, and she generously invited me along. It was held in a plush, cosy executive box that overlooked the field, although thick black curtains had been drawn across the open window, probably for soundproofing against echoes. We were indulged with very snazzy hot and cold buffets, and a lot of booze. I could get used to quaffing oysters and champagne before a U2 concert.

My gig ticket was for the cheap seats behind the stage, but I was able to blag onto the field because the silver wristband for the corporate event looked very similar to the white wristband people on the field had. (Fans on the field had to go through the seats to access the loos.). The field for Aussie rules football is a massive circle, far bigger than other football fields (soccer, rugby, American or Gaelic) so there was acres of space around the sides. I saw the first hour of the show from a spot about two thirds back.

It was a slightly topsy-turvy start to the show as Adam took up position on Edge’s side of the stage, whilst Edge cruised the outer stage in the opposite direction to Bono during Stingray Guitar. Bono greeted the crowd with a simple “G’day” at the end of the song.

I’ve often wondered what the average ratio is of fanatical U2 fans to casual daytrippers at concerts. It’s the difference between fans who go to participate and those who go to observe. From my initial position it seemed like there were far more casual observers. Many people on the field stood and watched, those in the seats sat and watched. This meant that there were two cheers at the start of many songs: the first when the fanatics recognised the opening notes, and a secondary cheer when others spotted it. This was most noticeable at the start of Beautiful Day when the secondary cheer after Bono sang “Your heart is in bloom” was far louder.

The observers were also noticeable during Elevation and Mysterious Ways when many people didn’t bother joining in with the pogoing or hands-waving parts. The crowd seemed very reserved initially, almost quite, ahem, pommy (English) in their responses.

I actually felt a blast of frustration with the crowd around me during what was one of the most magical combos on the tour: Mercy then Bad. I was thinking of all the passionate U2 fans around the world and what they would give to see this magical pair at their show. It completely passed most of the audience by. “What a fucking waste” was my first reaction when the bleeps of Bad started to almost no response from the crowd on the field and in the seats near me. This is U2 playing Bad people! Don’t youse know this song?!

I also thought it was going to be a relatively shambolic version of Bad, in that Bono instantly cut Edge’s guitar solo short. But Bono had a plan: he just wanted to join in. He grabbed a guitar and played along with Edge, and drove the song into the solo with a new melody and new intensity. It sounded experimental, perhaps it was under rehearsed, but it still had that enchanting depth that we all dive into.

Random observation: In A Little While had new home video footage of a boy dreaming of space travel – was it a young Commander de Winn?

My knees and feet were suffering from not having sat down all day, and after a night of not enough sleep, so I lazily moved back up to my seat behind the stage after Miss Sarajevo.

The Mercy – Bad – In A Little While – Miss Sarajevo arrangement is really for big U2 fans, and probably killed momentum for more casual fans. So everyone in the block around me was seated except for a few girls who just had to dance.

However the next combination of songs was perfect to re-engage casual fans and remind them forcefully that they were at a U2 concert. It was fascinating to watch the increasing spread of response from fans on the field, and how the songs gradually overcame the reserve of people in the seats. (I must confess that whilst I was loving the show, it was in a drunk, knackered, detached, and prefer-to-stay-seated-myself manner.)

COBL had more people on the field waving during the chorus, but there wasn’t much waving from my section. Many people around me were dancing whilst seated during Vertigo, although the field now looked fully re-engaged. Crazy Tonight lifted more seaters to their feet. And then Sunday Bloody Sunday raised many others to rock out.

Random observation: it was funny to see Jay Z being driven to and from the stage in a little golf-cart.

After One, there was a gorgeous, spine-tingling, choir-like sing-a-long to Amazing Grace. And then Streets did what Streets does best and had the whole stadium unified into a collective peak. People were standing, singing, waving and roaring. Melbourne had shaken off its reserve and was finally jumping to U2 live.

“Welcome back! Fucking right!” roared Bono victoriously, seeing the triumphant response.

Champagne and oysters all round!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

:up: great review cathalmc

I will agree with you on the casual fans. I am sure there were quite a few who came to see Jay Z and just stayed out of curiosity going by some of the people around me.

I would loved to have been in the inner circle with the real fans, I think I would have just had a smile overdose. :)

I am going to rave on now because i was just blown away by last night and need to!!!

We were in the GA not far at the bottom of the left hand front leg of the claw. A woman standing near me was very funny as every time I looked around (which was not very often) she was staring and smiling at me with this big grin, a little bemused. (of course I was singing every word and totally into every moment) I realised eventually that she probably was at her first U2 show and she was wondering who this crazy woman was and whether she had stumbled into a revival meeting by mistake! :) I like to think that this weekend she will go out and buy those U2 albums she never did and soon become a convert. :heart:

I don't care that they don't get Bad and didn't know a thing about Mercy. It's nice to have that as a real fan thing all our own. :) I jumped up and down and screamed at the opening notes cath!
biggrin2.gif

Still, I am diasappointed with the new Mercy. Can't get past the original. :reject: But it was great to hear it live.

Compared to the two Melb Vertigo shows I saw, the energy level of the boys was way up. For a moment there as the screen rotated and expanded at the beginning of COBL (?) I felt that this was what it would have been like to be at a Popmart gig. For a second I thought, (and said out loud I think) "they are going to play something from Pop!" lol

Great reviews so far everyone. Anything to make the memories of yesterday a bit clearer :drool:

:up: great review cathalmc

I will agree with you on the casual fans. I am sure there were quite a few who came to see Jay Z and just stayed out of curiosity going by some of the people around me.

I would loved to have been in the inner circle with the real fans, I think I would have just had a smile overdose. :)

As I said in the setlist party thread this did dampen things a smidge. I was in the inner circle and one person next to me didn't move once, even during Streets. I just had to jump and yell the whole time to make up for it (not that I wouldn't have done so anyway :wink:).

Interestingly I got talking to a few fans who had been following the band for many years but had fallen away during the 90s (but are now back on board obviously). Although I've only been a serious fan for the last five years or so, I often feel like I'm in the minority in that I like probably 90-95% of what U2 does no matter what the era. So even the "core" fans aren't going to like or know everything. E.g. one person I was talking to on the train home who had been to shows in the 80s asked me what my favourite moment was, to which I said when Mercy was played. I then had to explain that it was the song played before Bad. As much as I'd like U2 to mix up the setlist, I do think they balance between both ends of the spectrum reasonably well on the whole (although please play at least one Pop song before the tour finishes!!!).

Edit: not sure where your text went annabelle, are you going to put it back later? -nm it's back again

Just a drop with a personal review:
Position left side inner circle, my 3 year old boy with special ear muffs and my wife. My kid just loved every second of the show he perfectly recognized his favorites with the first tunes opening his eyes and pointing at his ear and tried to sing them, Beautiful day, Crazy and Boots; he loves Edge and Larry and he was thrilled every time Edge walk on the cat walk or on the bridge a few meters from him, he was trying to reach him stretching his arms and showing his disapointment afterwards for not receiving a look back from him but he just loved it. Adam did see him and kind of smiled.
Lots of casual fans around us but must of them enjoying the show and singing and dancing, different mood around that being with true fans as other shows I've attended. Fantastic setlist! BAD was just a dream come true as always live:applaud:!! Cheers!

Thanks for the reviews, everyone! I will try to write a 'proper' one up on the weekend... still have too much work to get done before then though! (I'm a teacher and it's report writing time!)

But... I just have to echo what everybody else has already said... OMG!!.... THEY PLAYED BAD!!!!!!!! It, along with the spine-tingling 'Scarlet' - 'Amazing Grace' - 'Streets' segue, was the highlight of the night for me. I just went INSANE when I heard the opening notes! I had hoped, and hoped, that they would play it (and The Unforgettable Fire)... but didn't think they would....JUST SO HAPPY... Reminded me of Melbourne 2 from 2006 when they played it after 'Kite'... :D

However, I, too, was disappointed with the casual crowd response, and I think that this affected my enjoyment of the concert. It's the first time I've sat in the seats, and I realised that I kept on 'reacting' to songs earlier than those around me (this especially happened with 'I Will Follow', 'Bad', 'Scarlet', etc). Nevertheless, everyone went crazy over Streets, it truly was an awe-inspiring moment... really was close to the best Streets ever!

Can't wait for tomorrow night! Will finally be in GA again (thank God)! Will get in line early tomorrow morning... would be happy to meet people if anybody is there! (I'll be there by myself... my sister and her friend got last minute tickets and are watching the show from the third level). Hope to hear 'Bad' again... :D

Does anybody have any advice as to were I should try to stand? If I get there around 9 or 10, do you think I will have a good chance at getting a position on the rail?

Cheers!

I felt a little sorry for Edge during Bad, at the start, either his guitar wasn't working, or a tube in the Vox started to die, and he had to do a quick swap.

Then during COBL, his Gretsch messed up, and he had to swap guitars mid song again, and it seemed like for that song he just couldn't get into it, and wasn't feeling the guitar.

Brilliant concert, I'm hoping they come out again (I wasn't able to get tickets to Friday's show).

I think I hurt my throat singing IWF and UTEOTW tho, love those two songs. And so lucky to hear Bad, with a Bono solo!

edit- also I was a bit disappointed with the high-pitched part in Beautiful Day... it just didn't sound right to my ears, like they were bumping it an octave to high, or making it too trebely...

Oh...one last question... did anyone else have trouble hearing Bono's voice over Edge's guitar for the first five - six songs? Or was it just where I was sitting??? (First level...) I was kind of disappointed about that... :(

Does anybody have any advice as to were I should try to stand? If I get there around 9 or 10, do you think I will have a good chance at getting a position on the rail?

Which rail? I think there were a few hundred people in the queue by 10am on Wednesday. If you don't get a rail spot you should have your choice of excellent second row spots. But you should ask in the pre-gig thread for answers from people who actually did GA!

I was halfway between the inner and outer ring, right in front of Edge. Got in queue at 5pm, could have still made the inner ring at at least 6:30pm. Can't believe it fills up so slow. The nice thing is that there is a raised conduit for cabling running like a spoke out from Edge - so my mate who is regular sized could stand on that and be nearly as tall as me (6'4").

Could not have been better - had the bridge go above us lots, had Edge and Bono walk directly over my head several times - I had to jump up and give the underside of it a little thump, just so I can say I made their toes tap in return for all the times mine have. :wave:

Note to future self - remember you have drink in cargo pants pocket without lid on for next time. :doh: Why must they confiscate the lids?

I am pretty sure I got some Bonosweat drips - he was workin.

But to get Bad and Mercy, Streets much better than last time, just a great show, and easily the best I have been to. (1 or 2 per Melb since Josh Tree.)

I was halfway between the inner and outer ring, right in front of Edge. Got in queue at 5pm, could have still made the inner ring at at least 6:30pm. Can't believe it fills up so slow. The nice thing is that there is a raised conduit for cabling running like a spoke out from Edge - so my mate who is regular sized could stand on that and be nearly as tall as me (6'4").

Could not have been better - had the bridge go above us lots, had Edge and Bono walk directly over my head several times - I had to jump up and give the underside of it a little thump, just so I can say I made their toes tap in return for all the times mine have. :wave:

I agree about the inner circle, I was expecting it to be a bit more crammed. I wonder if that's just people assuming it was another part of Red Zone but at least it meant more room to jump around.

I'll probably still end up aiming for 2pm even though I could leave later and still get a good spot. All part of the fun.

..being sweated on was not a highlight - I was more admiring his work ethic - but of course pleba have different criteria to me :lol:

As one who appreciates the physical attritubes of Mr. Bono, I'm with you. I would prefer not to have his sweat drip on me.

Bono sweated on me in Jersey last year. He was singing YBR on the bridge and was right above me.

This was one of the better 360 shows I've seen - IWF, Bad, and HMTMKMKM were absolute highlights. UTEOTW, Mercy, and Crazy Tonight were the other three songs I think stood out, and Magnificent has improved a bit since 2009. Probably it's finally achieved parity with its quality on the album, after languishing for a while as one of the few U2 songs not as good live as in studio.

Some of the rest of the set, I could've done without, especially the massive buzzkill that is In A Little While. Hence, I must dissent from some other opinions and say that both Melbourne shows on Vertigo were better than this, Melbourne II substantially so.

Brilliant concert, I'm hoping they come out again (I wasn't able to get tickets to Friday's show).

Last time I checked, there are still seated tickets left for today's show.

Hence, I must dissent from some other opinions and say that both Melbourne shows on Vertigo were better than this, Melbourne II substantially so.

I should have qualified - my opinion was no doubt inflated this time by having by far the best spot I have ever had, so I cannot accurately distinguish between insanely fantastic (Melb II Vertigo) and mindblowingly glorious. (Wednesday night). Good problems to have.

Going again tonight with my just pregnant wife, so the $45 seats will be an interesting comparison.

A Brief review :)

Overall : awesome - that claw is incredible!

We arrived at about 12:30 and went quickly from slapping on the sunscreen to being drenched and sheltering under a bit of cardboard!!

Inside we made it to just off the outside rail, inside the pit, almost straight in front. People right next to us had lined up at about 8am so seemed like a bit of a waste to have gotton there first thing.

Highlight was Bad for sure, we must be lucky in Melb as they dont seem to do it live that often! Was also hanging out for Ultraviolet, so hopefully get that tonight - have seats on level 1. Comparing to the last Melbourne shows - about same distance away on the floor for Vertigo I and seated for Vertigo II - I thought the sound was poorer and that Bono's voice was nowhere near as strong as it was then? I dont think anyone else has mentioned that, so maybe a result of the sound in general?

It did seem that often there wasnt much reaction from those in the stands, but everyone in the "pit" seemed to be having a great time.

Look forward to tonight to be able to take it in from another perspective - without the aching back and feet! (all worthwhile of course!!) I think the ears have finally stopped ringing so ready to go!

did anyone else think that Bono's voice seemed ridiculously high and screechy at some points? more noticeable in lines that ended with "eeeee" sounds?

i'll be back with full, colourful, long reviews of both shows Sunday (provided i'm not too hungover from Stereo)

GA on Wednesday, $40s tonight.

if you didn't like Jay-Z then i don't like you!

I agree with the 'casual' fans there on Wednesday night. My favorite song is Bad and i've never seen it live as i had to leave early in the 06 tour and they didn't do it in 98 or 93 tours. As soon as i heard it i couldn't stop the tears, but when i started singing along people around me were looking at me strangely and no one was singing a word. I was in the cheap seats behind the stage, the stage was just too big, awesome and very U2 but too big it took away from actually seeing them, but i was a fair way up in the stands. It was hard seeing the concert from behind i won't do that again. But once Bad had finished i turned and said to my mum i can die happy now lol :D

Back
Top Bottom