Daily Telegraph Review of U2 at Wembley!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadForIt

Refugee
Its an excellent read

U2: secrets of stadium rock - Telegraph Blogs

And the writer knows the score!

Snippets

"U2 were in London this weekend, playing two dates at Wembley Stadium. Now, I am well aware that not all rock critics share my enthusiasm for the band (my colleague Michael Deacon awarded the show a mere three stars) but I was blown away once again. I have watched them from the school gymnasium all the way to this latest attempt to simultaneously transport 88,000 people to another galaxy on what appears to be a home made rocket ship. I thought the show was as powerful, exciting and transformative as a big rock show can be."

Afterwards, I was talking to Noel Gallagher (who is possibly the most well adjusted and down to earth rock superstar ever, truly remarkable considering the swaggering arrogance of his band’s persona) who described the show as amazing but admitted he had nothing to compare it to, “cause U2 are the only band I’ve ever seen in a stadium.” Well, I’ve seen a lot, and it is interesting how different bands approach the task of performing to that size of crowd. Not everyone can pull it off, and where a star fails to really engage a stadium, the effect can be cold and dull.

I saw Blur at Hyde Park and didnt think it worked in that space (an opinion which seemed to amuse Mr Gallagher). I think their songs are too complex, they require more colour and dynamics than the band seemed capable of bringing to them, and Damon Albarn does not have the warmth or theatricality to commune with a huge crowd. It was all a bit arch and only came together on their most simplistic hits (notably Country House and Parklife). Oasis, on the other hand, who boast little of the musical adventure and complexity of Blur (Noel would probably be less impressed were I to admit I would opt for Damon’s output almost any day at home on my stereo) are unbeatable in a British stadium. They are almost the polar opposite of U2 and even Springsteen. The light and video show is basic. The band just stand there and don’t appear to be making much of an effort at all. Their playing is rudimentary. But they have the songs the people want to sing, a front man with innate charisma and a compelling voice, and they just carry the stadium along on self belief and unstoppable choruses.

---------------
And Noel was pissed to the max at the U2 after party
Noel Gallagher scales new heights at U2 bash | The Sun |Showbiz|Bizarre

Ok but why do you constantly have to highlight everything oasis on a U2 message board :|

Glad to hear Noel enjoyed it. I always like hearing him 'championing' U2.

Back
Top Bottom