August 6 2010 - Stadio Olimpico - Turin Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recap from U2.com

Arriving on stage to a new instrumental track titled 'Return of the Stingray Guitar', Bono was immediately racing the circumference of the huge 360 production, serenading every corner of the capacity audience: 'Torino, Torino...'

From the unmistakeable opening chords of Beautiful Day to the closing benediction of 'Moment of Surrender', two and a quarter hours later, the capacity Italian audience powered the show into orbit.

Mixing up the set list with songs from eight different albums, the band also debuted two more new songs: 'Glastonbury' a driving, guitar-led rock number inspired by the UK summer festival, and an acoustic version of a meditative ballad, 'North Star', described by Bono as ' a love song to the universe'.

Any U2 show is a celebration but this was a special night with the band back on stage and playing live for the first time in nine months. It was a bit of a family occasion.

'You care a lot about family in Italy, right?' asked Bono. 'This band is also a family: the black sheep of the family, Adam Clayton on bass guitar; on the drums, the baby of the band, Larry Mullen Jnr; and The Edge, our middle child... it's his birthday on Sunday.'

Cue 40,000 Italians singing Happy Birthday to Edge.

'And I'm the prodigal son,' continued Bono. 'And I want to thank you for all the love and letters you've sent me in recent months, thanks for that. That's in the past now and I'm very much fit for the future...'

It was a seriously fit performance from band and production tonight, with a dazzling creative makeover in the on-screen visuals complementing the surprises in the set list which also included the rarely performed 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me', theme tune of the Batman Forever movie and 'Miss Sarajevo', originally written for and performed with Luciano Pavarotti. No-one knows how to sing opera like these people.

Just back from the gig. I'll try for a review with a bit more detail of the gig tomorra if possible. But it was sooooooo amazing to see the band walk out together onto the stage.

The opening track, with Bono parading himself around the entire outer stage as the band played on, skipping a few steps forwards, then backwards, ducking, diving, basically demonstrating that, yup, he's mended and ready to perform, was beautiful. He was centre of attention, showing off his moves, loving it, and everyone lapped it up. I was actually quite emotional, with a wee lump in my throat.

He didn't seem to have any problems at all with his movement, doing a few moves which had me thinking "Oh sweet jaysus, take it easy Bono!" He tried to kick a balloon off the outer stage, he was leaning down occasionally looking over the bridge, he was standing up legs spread apart on the two speakers behind Larry, he was hanging out on the steering wheel mic, he even sat on it and swung back and forward, leaning right back. It was almost, almost possible to imagine he'd never been away at all.

But Bono looked in absolutely great shape, I was amazed how comfortable and fluidly he was moving. And his singing was utterly sensational as well.

What exactly was our concern ...? :)

Yes, thanks Cathal...you can be our eyes and ears for the rest of the Euro dates. I'm surprised we're not seeing more reviews.

Wow, I just heard the audio for CT with the Discotheque snippets. That was so great!! Much more of Discotheque than I expected.

Surprisingly, One sounds really good also.

Last edited:
Sitting in Basel, waiting for a train to take me back home to Denmark.

I stayed away from everything U2 related for two weeks, which was an incredible test of endurance, but boy, was it worth it. I can still hear him scream TO-RI-NO! during Return of the Stingray Guitar, which was incredible. Best opening. EVER. EVER. I was dumbfounded, here was Bono, new haircut, new sunglasses, jumping and dancing around with a new song a the opener, it was spectacular. I exploded. There are no words for the surprise, for the sensation. I think that was the highlight almost. One of the greatest moments in the eight U2 concerts I've seen.

The next couple of songs was pure joy, nothing I hadn't heard before, but it was so clear to me that the band was having a great time. Mysterious Ways truly set the house on fire.

And another two new songs: North Star was beautiful, Glastonbury was rocking, those moans from Bono in the beginning was pure, raw power, reminded me of when I saw the Slane Castle video for the first time many years ago, Bono screaming from the tops of his lungs just before Elevation starts. I was truly great.

The rest of the concert followed quite predictably, or, well, Unforgettable Fire and onwards. I love In A Little While, so I was very pleased to hear it, Miss Sarajevo was great to hear again, a big surprise, but it was far from the highlight of the show. That, I think, was Crazy Tonight, the Discothèque snippet was pure magic, screaming LET GOOOOO - DIS-CO-THÈQUE from the top of my lungs was pure extacy. Amazing performance. Walk On was great, and definitely felt more natural without the mask part. It was a great performance of One, and I love that they kept Amazing Grace -> Streets, so great to hear it in person, even if Bono forgot the lyrics :lol:

On to the HUGE SURPRISE, that was of course HMTMKMKM - wow wow wow, great performance, so great to hear it, I've never been huge on the song, but I love it, and it was definitely a huge surprise. But seeing that take the place of Ultraviolet only makes me want the true return of Discothèque even more. Man oh man, that snippet did wonders.

Overall fantastic concert, I was so happy I actually managed to stay away from Interference all this time. I can't wait for Horsens.

Let me just say this again: Return of the Stingray Guitar was incredible. Best opener ever.

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

I didn't bring a camera, sorry. I'm kinda happy I didn't actually. I was singing, shouting and dancing the whole time, no need to worry about pictures.

Absolutely.
Actually, I did not take a single picture myself while at the performance. I did not want to experience via the camera. Hell, I'm there...might as well live the moment.

In Turin? I wish.

I got some Pasadena and Vegas pictures to prove my point though. :)

Just because you said while "at the performance".
I was lucky enough to meet some German fans that supposedly have some before/after shots. That'll have to wait a little bit though...

In the meantime, the band in my head continues to play a striptease, sounds like this:
TO-RI-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks Cathal :up: As soon as you posted on FB you were just off I was wishing I was going too! :sad: Pictures please :hyper:

Im not really one for giving reviews but a few thoughts on the show

Positives -

Liked the new intro, much better than Breathe, Bono skips around the stage almost Popmart 'shadow boxing' style.
Being 'brave' and playing 2 new songs
Miss Sarajevo - Glorious vocal, sang a whole verse in Italian and seemed to hold that big note longer than ever
Most importantly the band seemed to really enjoy just being back on a stage again

Negatives(sorry) -

Beautiful Day perhaps shouldn't be the song to open the set proper. something like IWF, Electric Co or more realistically UTEOTW would perhaps be better
Playing the 2 new songs back to back killed a bit of impetus, perhaps North Star would fit in better as an encore and i did dare to suggest that Glastonbury may be better used as the opener after Stingray
Hold Me... is not as good as UV and it wasn't a great version
Lack of love for NLOTH, still big love for ATYCLB

I miss UV. I think the whole thing with the jacket, the mic and the smoke works well with that song.

Back
Top Bottom