August 3, 2009 - Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think it's great that the inner circle wasn't as crowded as it was in Berlin. There were simply too many people in there. Maybe they learned something from their mistakes.

Thanks for the pictures, Leif. :D

You are welcome. :) I'm happily looking forward to yours. Take your time. :)

and I still think I want a camera like yours LOL! :wink:

I guess you would do a better job with it.

Great pictures! :up: I've seen them already, but just wanted to comment again :wink:

:sexywink:

3792100964_efebd02af0_o.jpg

3791468969_85512078dd_o.jpg

3791656897_199a678313_o.jpg

3792417342_0c19438f08_o.jpg

not gonna post them all again, but here's the link to all 205 photos:

U2 @ Gelsenkirchen, Veltins Arena - a set on Flickr

I read about the screen, and about edge apparently f*cking up Stuck. I didn't even notice. Only during the beginning part of SBS, with the arabic on the screen i thought: hey the last time it was better readable (not that i can actually read arabic btw).

Yeah, I noticed that, too. The screen only retracted afterwards for SBS. I also thought it was barely readable but didn't realise the screen was still down. I only saw it when I looked through my pictures. :lol: The popping head during Crazy look so weird, all stretched out :wink:

But I like the visuals to Bloody Sunday and still thought they were beautiful.

Was that irony or do you really read a setlist party thread and let yourself be influenced by that?
How many in the audience have recognized that Edge was hitting a speedbump during Stuck, for example? How many have seen the screen til extended during Crazy Tonight and actually thought "Wow, that's a mistake"?

Yeah that was just unfunny sarcasm. I noticed a few duff notes at the start of Stuck but didn't notice the screen probs.

Amazing photos!

Ok, thought so but wanted to be sure. :

Does anyone know what Bono said to this girl with the sign? I couldn't understand it, but think it was something that he didn't quite know what the sign meant. If only I could remember at which song it was.

I'm pretty sure it was during (or after) Magnificent, because he was on the catwalk in front of us and the girl with the sign was standing only a few meters away from me. I have no idea what the sign said and didn't understand what Bono was saying, but it sounded like he asked her something. After he went away, the girl was in tears and had to be comforted by her boyfriend :hug:

I posted pictures in PLEBA, but here are some of the better ones I took at the show:

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

You got some great shots.

So I should dare to go into the deepest, darkest corners of this forum, PLEBA? :uhoh:

:wink:

Either that ... or I could send you the link to my pb album. Would be safer for you, I guess :wink:

Most of my shots aren't that great, I also had to delete many.

thanks again silvia! :applaud: it's nice to see the concert from another perspective! :D

I think we need the bootleg to find out what bono said after magnificent or maybe beautiful day.:waiting:

Thanks for sending. I might have gone into it, but you are right this way is safer. :D

Of course not every picture turns out great. But there is quite a few with amazing quality. Percentage wise much more than I had. I deleted quite a few, others I left even though the quality wasn't perfect.

I tried to find that part on youtube but no luck yet. Maybe at another clip. But I will just wait for the bootleg and then have a listen.

I dunno sorry. they said it on the radio that they were at the cologne airport but that's it.

I'm pretty sure it was during (or after) Magnificent, because he was on the catwalk in front of us and the girl with the sign was standing only a few meters away from me. I have no idea what the sign said and didn't understand what Bono was saying, but it sounded like he asked her something. After he went away, the girl was in tears and had to be comforted by her boyfriend :hug:

I posted pictures in PLEBA, but here are some of the better ones I took at the show:

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

Nice pics!!

I'm not sure what he said, but at some point I thought I heard him speak French and say someting like "David qui?" and he said Davied with the stress on the "ie" like in French ( I remember thinking that didn't make any sense in Germany but maybe her sign was in French??)
Then I think he said something like "dunno Davied" (don't shoot me if it turns out to be totally wrong though :lol: )

I was high up in the rafters (frontal view), but I couldn't see the top of the stage and the arena's screen was almost blocking the view from the top canvas :(
Where we were sitting the crowd was pretty lame, they sat down after most songs and it took them a few songs before they got up as well. Every speech or slow song, they sat down again. :huh:
I felt a bit bad for the ppl behind me, but I just couldn't stay seated.

Edit: I liked the show nonotheless, it was my first show in the seats and it was nice to see the full picture (except for the top of course) for a change.

Finally we have someone who can clarify how much of a disturbance the video cube was. :D I have seen one video which was taken about the same area you are describing and in that I didn't really see the cube, so I thought it was barely visible during the show. Sad to hear in fact it was. Why they couldn't have taken it down I don't know. Maybe it's not built that way that you can take it down that easily.

Welcome to a German crowd I must say. They are lazy. And boring. Germans hardly come out of themselves. And many of those people just go to these shows because they can and like to have some two hours entertainment.

greety, I had the same problem in berlin. some people think this is a movie in a cinema or something like that LOL! :| And I heard of the problems with the screen and the black fabric. this just sucks. I would have asked for another seat. :|

great show, but a few things went wrong. Edge was not doing well, constantly talking with dallas. I was at the front row in front od Edge so I could see everything what happened. But always great to hear U2 and this one was great too. UC/UF is still amazing to hear (also after being to 5 previous shows). Vertigo will be remembered as the song in which Edge blows up his ampflifier .... haha :D

Some great pictures, i will try to upload them asap

Back
Top Bottom