August 25, 2010 - Luzhniki Stadium - Moscow, Russia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so I enjoyed that a lot more than I was expecting. maybe because Bono plays the guitar better now. :lol:

I will be more than happy to take care of Adam. :shifty:

Lila & Laura previously volunteered to help me take care of Bono. That just leaves Edge & Larry. Who's gonna' step up & nurse them back to health??
*steps out of the way to avoid being trampled by volunteers*

Wow, I was in a hurry to write a review of the concert, while the topic about it had been opened!:DVery glad to see that people from the whole world are curious and anxious about the first concert in Russia. Well, I'll try to describe my feelings of it as minutely as I can (sorry, I didn't have an opportunity to make photos: I have only one to the theme and one with Bono and Dmitryi Medvedev talking).

Came in the stadium several minutes to the warm-up. The level of the security was so high: we had to go through over three cordons!:ohmy: But I don't mind about it.

I found my places, and after several minutes, during which I had time to watch the stage and people coming (the stadium was full in the correlation of 5/8 by this time and of 7/8 by the beginning of U2's performing - I'm saying that against the expections that Luzhniki wouldn't gather much people for the concert:wink:), on the stage came "Snow Patrol" (they was in time - 19:30) - the backdrop in green and blue colors with the signature "Now "Snow Patrol"" on the screen signaled us about it. I must say that I don't know this band much, I knew before yesterday only one song, "Chasing cars", which I didn't like much, so as the modern rock. But now I convinced again that I shouldn't miss the warm-ups, because you always can't know if this will be great or not, moreover, you can like it and have been got interested in it. To the theme: I liked the performance of the band (so did the public, I suppose by the applauses), every song was great, even "Chasing cars". The frontman was polite and told many good things to us all, such as that he had always wanted to go to Russia, also, he said some words in Russian (in English transcription: "Dobryi vecher, Moskva!":applaud:), at the same time being charismatic. I hope I'll have a bootleg of their performing, also want them to see live again.

While waiting for U2, music was played, that seemed to me a bit strange: I recognized only one song, "Space Oddity" by David Bowie (one of people who came to the concert was in a T-shirt with David:up:), and by this song U2 came on the stage. Before this, people on the stands made a kind of "wave" (I was surprised!), which you can see in sport competitions and championships, and people in the fan zone just waved their hands. There was a whole scream like U2 were already in the stage, but only at fifth or sixth time those screams were in time.

U2 came on the stage when the rain had been falling for a minute (to run ahead, I'll say to you that this rain went on until the end of the show; that's was my luck to be in a sector where the rain didn't come, only some drops). But we all didn't mind about it, though the technicians had to set up some "umbrellas" for the band not to get the equipment wet and people from the fan zone had to get their umbrellas up (and Bono did the same in some song): I saw at least three flags: Russian, British (I suppose that it's one man's whose speech in English I heard during going to my place in the stadium and who was noticed by "Snow Patrol"'s frontman with kind of pleasure) and Irish with "U2" signature on it.

I can't remember at all only the first song (weird, isn't it?), even didn't understand if Bono sang on it or not. I listened before the concert only to "North star" and "Glastonbury" which, to my little disappointment, weren't in the setlist. Also, there weren't "No line...", "Unknown caller" (why such few songs from the latest album are being played in the second part of the tour?:huh:), "The unforgettable fire", which I was waited for most of all, especially because of the vision of the screen stretching down and being looked like a fire torch. But there were surprises those were waiting for us (I feel like I knew that they would be for Russia!:hyper:).

"Beautiful day", while the rain was falling down. Strange, but, anyway, great! Bono sang something about rain (some non-U2 song, I suppose). All the members of the band were by this time wet, but I saw they felt great pleasure to play in Moscow (it seemed to me that Adam was merry most of all). I saw this on the screen, and I saw this in binocular, which I borrowed from my friends (I could have more impressions because of this kind of magic). To say about the songs, all of them were great: "Vertigo" (song-bomb, as I name it), "Get on your boots", "Until the end...", "Mysterious ways" (such beautiful and, sorry, sexy backdrop), "Magnificent". The remix of "I'll go crazy.../Discotheque" was brilliant, much better that the original version of the first song, the second favourite song from the concert for me. Even "In a little while" touched me, though I don't like this song very much. Really sounds like something having a connection with cosmos (live broadcast with the cosmonauts was too, though I don't remember it right). Bono sang great Pavarotti part in "Miss Sarajevo", the song which sounded great in the cosmos theme. The part of "Sunday bloody Sunday" with words "You've got to stand up, Stand up for your rights" during Edge played guitar riff sounded like a thunderstorm in time of the war, while the sky became red (who said about Red Rocks concert?:wink:), though the lightning of the stage was green, impressed me very much. I laughed at the video that was showed before "Ultraviolet" where two men were in cosmos while the stage-starship flied not far from them and one of them had a question what it was. Of course, such a strange and interesting jacket on Bono while he sang "Ultraviolet" (I could be glad even if instead of this song "Hold me..." was, though I like both of them) and "With or without you" On the songs "Walk on", "One" and "Moment of surrender" (my favourite song from the concert) I cried, because they were so touching, so as their main meaning.

The main impression I got from the whole atmosphere of the show. Stage, that looks not good in the daylight, but turns in a kind of spaceship in the evening, the highest part of this construction that can look as a beacon, can give such a light that you have a vision like you're in cosmos among the stars. U2 had a great effort (and successful, I must admit) to create this atmosphere. People rated this all in a highest point. The parts of the stage: big screen, a "path" for running in a circle, two bridges which can go - all of this was in the theme. I wish the authors of the stage could receive an award like "The best stage design" or like that.

I liked the way Bono played role of frontman. He talked much about Russia, its way of being. Of course, how can Bono be without his sense of humour? He told us that Larry was in the karaoke-bar (I know how Larry sings and I like it, that's a pity he couldn't do that in the concert), Edge was being with the cosmonauts, and Bono himself sang with Cossack choir and met with Russian president Dmitriy Medvedev, whom he thanked very much. He dedicated to Russia two songs: "I still haven't found..." (which sounded great, so, that I messed it with "Bad" of U2) for Russia way of living and "Moment of surrender" for firemen who had much work with rescuing people from fires of incredibly and tragically hot summer in this year and who is still living or died in the work. He can make suitable speech when it's time to do so, for what I like Bono. But most of all I remembered the phrase of Bono about Moscow: "I know why we didn't go there so long... It's too cheerful - sorry if I took not suitable word, I'm not good at translating to do it right - here!" :applaud:All the things the band was saying was being translated and the text was showed on the screen at the same time when the band was talking.

The most impressing part of the concert in Moscow was, I think, the playing "Knocking on the heaven's door" of Bob Dylan by U2 and Russian musician Yuri Shevchuk, the frontman of Russian rock band "DDT" (I know that not many people know who is it, but I just can't pass this fact by!). I'm not fan of Yuri, but I was glad to see him with Bono, interesting that both of them have some common - they both are active people in the social deals and have many songs on social themes. Again, I'm glad that you know about this surprising performance.

When "Moment of surrender" ended, U2 thanked Russia again (I suppose they liked the public and I hope they will be here again). Then we went back in our houses, where we must have written about one of the greatest moments ever that no one can leave behind.:wave:

bonocantalluviamoscu.jpg

Not at all! All for you, specially for you I wrote the review in English, all for your vision of the concert!:wave::hug:

Not at all! All for you, specially for you I wrote the review in English, all for your vision of the concert!:wave::hug:

You did a great job, Miss Pop! Thanks for sharing your experience with us - how amazing after waiting so long for Russia to finally get a U2 show! :up:

Thanks again that you've read my biiiiig review! :D

By the way, I forgot about this fact: after "Moment..." it was "Rocket man" of Elton John, while on the screens went pictures of people showing their hands. Also, I forgot to say that "Elevation" was fantastic!

p.s.: Is it really that "Space oddity" is the beginning of the concerts of the tour?
p.s.2: On the soundcheck, fans said, there were songs by Muse, Depeche Mode, The Cure and others, but I didn't notice this. Maybe, I was waiting for U2 too much?:huh::hyper:

This was the show I've most been looking forward to since the dates were announced last year. It didn't disappoint, on many levels.

Nick (4U2Play) and I walked from our hotel to Red Square around lunchtime, then up to the nearby Ritz where we'd heard U2 were staying. We were only waiting for about ten minutes before Bono came out with Gorbachev. Then Adam and Edge came out. We both managed to get Adam's and Edge's autographs, Bono unfortunately evaded us.

We took the metro to the stadium, and arrived in time to witness the utter chaos that was supposed to be the GA queue. There were a few blobby queues of people at a few gates, about 100m from the stadium proper. We could see hundreds of people inside the fences, up by the stadium. These were the early arrivals for the GA queue.

There were hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands of police and soldiers all around the stadium and the streets outside. Some of these forcibly moved the GA queue by the stadium to outside the gates. There were a couple of mini-stampedes as people rushed to where they thought the new GA queue would start. Some people with numbers on their hands tried to climb over the barriers containing the new queue, to reclaim their spot at the front. People were getting very squashed at the front. It was grimly shambolic. Loadsa Russian people wryly said "Welcome to Russia" to us tourists.

I didn't go into the stadium until around 8:45pm. This was my first time being on the field for a show in, ahem, "mainland" Europe (thanks Nick!)

There were three additional barriers across the field in the Luzhniki Stadium. There was one metal barrier about three-quarters of the way back from the stage, another curved metal barrier towards the back of the field, and the soldiers had cordoned off sections of the field. There was a line of police / army the whole way across the field about 20 metres back from the outer catwalk. And there was a double line of police / army down the centre of the pitch from the catwalk, preventing movement across the field from Adam's to Edge's side.

I managed to get into the section of the field with the catwalk, standing directly in front of the line of police, almost central opposite Bono on the stage.

It began to rain quite heavily during the songs before U2 hit the stage. Loadsa people put up umbrellas, and this pissed off others on the field. One guy in front of me threw a bottle of water at the umbrella blocking his view. Someone behind the police line asked one of the cops to ask a person beside me to lower his umbrella. Another girl reached through the police line to grab an umbrella of another person near me. No-one lowered their umbrellas after these requests.

There were, er, platoons of empty seats in the stadium, possibly even enough for all the soldiers. However, the atmosphere was quite fabulous, with the Russian U2 fan site's flashmob of shamrock signs for when the band came onstage.

It seemed like Bono spent more time on the catwalk and bridges because of the rain than at other concerts. No shirking from the elements here. Some of the footage on the video screen, with the dry ice smoke and rain, was stunning, and very Red Rocks-esque.

The gig itself was superb. Singing and playing in the rain seemed to just add to the show. It was very weird to see people jumping around and singing their hearts out directly behind a line of stern-looking soldiers. And there was a lot of fantastically freaky dancing from the Russians, especially the men. It's good to know that the Irish aren't the most choreographically-challenged people around.

I checked back on the line of mostly very young soldiers behind me at many points during the show. They were usually standing solemn faced, but I often saw them watching wide-eyed. They were supposed to be standing facing in alternate directions, but most turned around to see the concert. And they were all turned around to read the Russian translation of Bono's speech before ISHFWILF. (Bono's praise of Gorbachev got a very muted response.) And I saw one soldier take a picture of another with the Claw as backdrop on a phone, so I'm sure some did have desire to boast to their buddies in Siberia that "I saw U2".

I think I was trying to look for interpretations that maybe didn't exist, but I enjoyed hearing New Year's Day and Miss Sarajevo. Miss Sarajevo actually got a very noticeable cheer when it started, as did In A Little While. UTEOTW, however, had a noticeable lack of a roar of recognition, especially compared to other countries. It's funny to find out which albums and songs are more popular in different countries.

Knocking on Heaven's Door was a lovely surprise which the entire stadium roared along to - not that I had a clue who the guy was though. I thought it was Bill Gates!

Anyway, a thoroughly fantastic day and concert. Sometimes shit weather and worse organisation make for an even better experience.

Thanks to Miss_Pop. Your report was great. Really appreciate the time you put into writing it in English. Glad you had a great time. :D:hug: And yes Snow Patrol are great. I became a fan after seeing them support U2. :wink:

Cathal thanks for another awesome report. :up: Glad you had a great time. It sounds like it was an amazing show. :up:See ya this time next week. :lol:

:wave: I found the following review on another site but, this has to be THE GREATEST review of any U2 show ever written:

Date: August 25, 2010
Venue: Luzhniki Stadium Review by: Vladamir Obarakanov
Me and my wife, Malaereae, traveled from the Ukraine for this show. We took our sons, Limbosto and Viti, as well.

Kids were in the rain, soaked with water. We had rain coats with us, so we were okay.

Kids did not know older music, but Moment of Surrender is very popular in Ukraine. Kids were singing along. Bono looks very fit; Edge looks like a pretty man. Larry Mullen Jr has a very nice body.

Wife enjoyed With or Without You and Pride. I liked all the songs, even Pride. I normally don't like that song live.

Anyway, we will take the kids with us to Athens because we have never been there.

I think there were too many police at the show. My kids were very alarmed. My wife held them as we entered the grounds. More alarming is that we saw Paul Mcguiness. I am not one to make comments about appearance, but he is a very smart man but a very fat man.

Long live U2

Back
Top Bottom