August 22, Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in seats and had my bag checked. Not thoroughly though, I had two bottles of lucozade and security felt my bag and told me to throw it away. I threw one away then they just let me in. It did seem lax compared to other stadiums.

At most shows I went to, maybe except the German shows, my bag wasn't checked properly. It wasn't checked at all at both Milan shows, people could take everything in and they did! Of course you would expect everyone to behave like an adult, but there are a lot of people who don't and prefer to get drunk instead and behave like idiots. You never know what ideas these guys will come up with ...

Funny thing is that in Zagreb they didn't really look into my bag, but I had to remove the top of my water bottle, not the bottle itself. It sucked. Try to run into the stadium with a full and open bottle of water. :huh:

^ Ahhhh, I stood next to someone who bought in loads of bottle tops in his pockets to get around this! Ingenious!!!:D

Photo's From Cardiff

Just got around to posting my photo's from Cardiff. My first show in the seats but still really enjoyed it and a really great atmosphere!

MobileMe Gallery

Cheers
Warby

Funny thing is that in Zagreb they didn't really look into my bag, but I had to remove the top of my water bottle, not the bottle itself. It sucked. Try to run into the stadium with a full and open bottle of water. :huh:

^ Ahhhh, I stood next to someone who bought in loads of bottle tops in his pockets to get around this! Ingenious!!!:D

:lol:

In Barcelona security would throw out the tops, but they were throwing them in the direction of the people walking in, so after they would throw it, people would just walk in and pick up a top and put it back on.

I've been doing that for a few years now, sneak in a couple of extra bottle tops. I generally go with 2 bottles, one in my back pocket under a fleece tied round my waist. I find if you give the stewards something to take off you they don't tend to look for anything else. The lengths we go to to take get something as simple as a bottle of water into a gig.

D U2 day

Getting there was fairly uneventful for us. We travelled up from the south coast, leaving before 7am, and took on espresso(Steve) / latte(Helen) at the Cardiff motorway services just after 9. We travelled on west to Bridgend where we checked into a hotel that we'd used before for Cardiff gig trips. We'd planned to drive back into Cardiff, but opted to take the train after we heard that extra trains were being run after the concert. And a plus - the rail fare was just £3.70 each (return) for a 20 minute journey.

It was a beautiful day and the sun was shining as we made our way across from the station to the Millennium Stadium (after stocking up at the M&S store) to join our friends who were also driving up from the South.

The queue was fun. We arrived at gate 6 and decided to join the left (of three queues) at about 11:40. Five hours to wait - reading, dozing, buying merch, chatting and making new friends (but never knowing their names!).

Here are the photos that tell the story of this part of our day. Please comment if you see yourself in any of the shots:
U2 - Cardiff - Outside the Stadium

More later...

Dorsetbay (Steve & Helen)

Inside the stadium

Gate 6 opened at about 4.45 and everone strolled hurried towards their chosen GA position. Calls from the Safety stewards to SLOW DOWN were largely ignored.

We tried for the outer rail in the inner circle/claw, but it was already at least three deep. We we settled for a position four rows from the front rail in front of Edge - on top of the claw cable "duct". It wasn't too crowded and there was room to sit down.

Here are our pre-gig photos from the inner circle and around the stadium including crowd shots from the seats nearby.

U2 - Cardiff - Inside the Stadium

My fav shows of the 1st Leg. Barca II, Amsterdam II, Gothenburg I, Wembley II, CARDIFF.

Arrived in queue (well started it really) at about 1030 Friday morning following 4.5 hr drive from Leeds and a refreshing short sleep after the Sheffield gig. The crazy week was about to come to an end.

Met Cathal (again) and his entertaining friend who can talk louder than I can shout. Trying to manage my tiredness I largely avoided the aforementioned invasion of the PoW, restricting my intake to a couple before returning to camp. I had my 'fuck-this' moment whilst 'successfully' walking the barriers. The night was still young-ish.

Apologies to the many Iti's rightfully offended by a truly awful rendition of RTSS by the foursome sharing iPod headphones. For the record, I was miming.

This was my first visit to the Millennium for a music event. My previous takeaways were that this was a small and intimate place. A revision after this visit - intimate yes, small no. An perfect stadium for U2 - 72,500 capacity, tall and steep stands, and acoustics that really shouldn't be possible to achieved in any stadium.

Entrance at 4.30 was fun. Being at the front of my turnstile I'd already shown my ticket to the old man waiting for the nod. Despite the ticket being 3/4 torn it still seems to take an eternity to be allowed through. No searches - didn't notice at the time. The run was a sprint, taking 3 steps at a time down to the field. Remember this guy (tall Iti) sprinting past me and getting taken out by security. This other guy running with my actually took out security - funny. Front row centre - reward for an insane amount of queueing.

Don't remember that much about the show itself - I never do. Bad was always a 'banker' for me on the leg closing show. YBR didn't materialise. Crowd were brilliant. Crowd rendition of 'Stand By Me' put the hairs up on the back of my neck...it's worth a listen.

[/1st leg]
[depression]

great great great concert. Maybe the best or at least equal to Amsterdam2 and Dublin1 .... what an amazing night. Finally I heard Stay .... Bad was once again great to hear.
The band was on fire and Bono was very very emotional.

Superb to be there ... just drove 16 hours to see U2.

Thanks for giving me a great summer :D

An absolutely stunning U2 show. I think I've seen them 17 times now over the years, and this was right up there near the very top. The band was excited and emotional, and the crowd noise was relentless -- everyone was singing along to every song. Got there about 3:30 pm and lined up at gate 7, and made it into the inner circle when the gates opened about an hour or so later. My brother and my parents (who had just flown in on the red-eye from Washington DC that morning!) and I all had a perfect vantage point: about 5 rows deep, near the front, toward Edge's side.

Can't wait to see 'em in LA! :drool:

... Got there about 3:30 pm and lined up at gate 7, and made it into the inner circle when the gates opened about an hour or so later. My brother and my parents (who had just flown in on the red-eye from Washington DC that morning!) and I all had a perfect vantage point: about 5 rows deep, near the front, toward Edge's side. ..

Hi LyricalDrug
We queued from about 11:45 and ended up in the same position as you - :doh:about 4 deep from the front, below The Edge.

You might be on some of our photos :wave:

U2 - Cardiff - Inside the Stadium - a set on Flickr

Dorsetbay (Steve & Helen)

Back
Top Bottom