August 20th Don Valley Stadium Sheffield - UK - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:09 AM
August 20th Don Valley Stadium Sheffield - UK

Please post your pics, reviews, experiences about this show here.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Some brief Sheffield observations

On the whole, I was very impressed

Strengths (a selection from many)
The spectacle- marvellous- especially the claw- the screen was out of this world especially on Crazy Tonight.
Bono’s voice- generally very strong. When he roared “our love turns to rust” on Streets, it could have been Sydney 1993- excellent renditions of UF, UV and Magnificent. The falsetto isn’t at all reliable (and completely broke down on WOWY) but his general voice was noticeably less scratchy and more powerful- really impressive
Streets- remarkably fresh, it’s almost like a dance mix with the new percussion. Crazy Tonight was excellent too.
NLOTH- this is a tad quicker live, something you notice when you are there and it sounds better for that.
Weaknesses (not many)
Bono murdered One and WOWY but I was expecting this- they both need to go and quickly.
MW- little point throwing this one as a surprise when there’s no intro, no outro and insipid drumming. HMTMKMKM would have worked better.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 PM
Go Sheffield, go
Old 08-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 01:09 PM
absolutely amazing concert!!!

my only real gripe was the screen during 'crazy tonight', it was opened up all the way through the song so you couldnt really see the video properly, other than that, breathtaking!

another thing we noticed was that between elbow finishing and space oddity, all the songs played over the p.a were by sheffield artists! i dunno if this was the same for all the other dates (ie songs by bands from that respective city)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
Refugee

Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Great show, but I was in a bad mood at the start, because of so many reports of fights and gate crashing. The verbal abuse that I heard being shouted at security and staff from drunken yobs was pathetic.

I don't mind alcohol but when it turns aggressive, it's not right. It was not like this at Wembley and I was pretty shocked, especially when there was a younger kid in front of me.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adypole View Post
Great show, but I was in a bad mood at the start, because of so many reports of fights and gate crashing. The verbal abuse that I heard being shouted at security and staff from drunken yobs was pathetic.

I don't mind alcohol but when it turns aggressive, it's not right. It was not like this at Wembley and I was pretty shocked, especially when there was a younger kid in front of me.

didn't see any of that. was this before the show?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
The Fly

having been to Glasgow a couple of days earlier and been in the pit I was looking forward to this show to see what it looked like from the seats.

The stage show, lights imagery etc are fantastic and it never ceases to amaze me how people keep coming up with new ideas for enhancing the concert experience. Where do you U2 and bands in general go after this tour will be a question asked many times.

It was great seeing the show in all its glory but for me the whole event was totally lacking in atmosphere. The four song salvo from the new album at the begining didnt seem to be too well received even when Beatiful Day came on the reaction was restrained to say the least.

The sing a long Still Havent Found was quiet with only Elevation,Vertigo and the intro to Streets getting the expected levels of exitement from the crowd.
The disco version of I'll Go Crazy did seem to go down well which was a surprise.

Overall I thought the venue was poor, with organiztion non existent. Getting to your seat reminded me of pushing through the throng to get to the terrace in a 1980's football match.

As for the show,I think the new stuff is great with Bono exceeding all expectations with his vocals with the closing Moment Of Surrender being the high point.
Ultraviolet's new intro is awesome though I think the laser jacket and swinging on the microphone is lost at a distance. Up close it is so intense, you can really see the way Bono uses the mic as a prop even more so in With Or Without You.

Overall a good show, however picking the only two shows of the tour to get the same set each night was dissapointing I know they played Mysterious Ways and they didn't at Glasgow. I have a feeling that if they had not had sound problems it would have been played there too as it was listed on U2.com as being played.I had thoughts we would only get a "safe" setlist as the show was being broadcast on the radio.

Lack of atmosphere was the main downer. Hundreds left at the end of the main set with a constant stream of people leaving the venue during the last five songs. If you were in the pit or right in the middle of the GA area it wouldnt have been noticable I suppose.

If only they had'nt had sound problems at Glasgow I would have had a perfect U2 gig I think

One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
Babyface

>> One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure. <<

Yes it does exist, it happened at Wembley 2.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
War Child

Where were you sat?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
didn't see any of that. was this before the show?
Just before, yes.

I was sat on the side where there was no cover over the seats. Everyone seemed pretty irritated.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Just before, yes.

I was sat on the side where there was no cover over the seats. Everyone seemed pretty irritated.
it was a bit of scrum at about 8 pm when i went for coffee up behind that area. people seemed ok though - quite patient.

i did notice alot of beer was consumed in my block.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
Refugee

I was on the outer barrier of the circle for this gig, great unobstructed view of the band. I had a sign saying 'BONO, LET ME PLAY YOUR GUITAR' . During Stuck in a Moment, a tall security guy with a headset came over and, whilst looking at his setlist, asked "what songs do you know?". Naturally I couldn't believe it and was saying "anything, anything, Desire, Angel of Harlem, I just wanna get up there" and he then asked how I'd rate myself as a guitarist, what my name was and said they'd see what they could do.

I was completely buzzing after this just at the possibility that I might actually get pulled up! Unfortunately nothing came of it, I suppose they couldn't take the 'risk' of letting a randomer up when it was going out live. However, during City of Blinding Lights Bono came round and did point/wink at me and the sign, so that was good enough I suppose! Great gig, the last of my 3 and what a brilliant way to end it, seeing them with my old man - his first U2 experience. Come back to the UK soon is all I can say
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
The Fly

For what it's worth my experience in the Red Zone 1 was great.

Got there about 3:15 and was almost at the ront of the quere (turnstile C). All the people there were very friendly. The stewards were great (if a bit clueless about what Red Zone meant).

Doors opened on the dot at 5pm and my friend and I were the first 2 people to get into Red Zone 1 so secured a spot right in the corner on the rail by the claw leg on Edge's side. The Red Zone filled up and people were still great - saving out spots when we went to the toilet and for food etc.

Great atmosphere during the gig as well. Everyone was into every song.

A great performance by the band as well - maybe the best of the 3 shows I went to (Dublin 2 and Wembley 2 being the others).
Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsicle View Post
>> One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure. <<

Yes it does exist, it happened at Wembley 2.
Agreed re Wembley 2, it doesn't happen every night on that level (Croke 2 was another for me where you just get totally lost in the moment).

Thoroughly enjoyed last night though from the front row of the Red Zone on Adams side I would have struggled not to!

Re the organisation, from the queue outside it looked pretty shambolic as nobody seemed to be organising the queue into the respective turnstyles.

Bring on Cardiff.
2005 - Brussels 10/6, Manchester 15/6, London 18/6, 19/6, Glasgow 21/6, Dublin 24/6, 25/6, Cardiff 29/6, Boston 3/10, 4/10, New York 7/10, 8/10, 10/10, 11/10
2009 - Barcelona 30/6, Dublin 24/7, 25/7, 27/7, London 14/8, 15/8, Sheffield 20/8, Cardiff 22/8
2010 - Paris, Brussels x2, Rome
2015 - Amsterdam 3 & 4, Stockholm 1 & 2, Barcelona 1, 2 & 4, London 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6, Paris 3, Dublin 3 & 4
Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
The Fly

Quote:

I was listening on the internet and some of the people that they were speaking to beforehand did seem well out of it.Sounde like a great gig though took me back to wembley on Saturday.My one criticism of the broadcast would be get some presenters who know something about the band,