August 20th Don Valley Stadium Sheffield - UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was really disappointed when U2 announced this tour as I wasn't able to find the cash. Having seen them on Elevation and Vertigo I was gutted not to be going. I was offered the chance to work the Sheffield gig as a steward though, and thinking this could either be the best or worst thing I could agree to do (if I ended up outside the stadium I would be devastated), I agreed to the shift thinking what the hell, it's better than nothing!
When we arrived we were told we were working the barriers outside. I wanted to go home. Then after a briefing I found out we would be working the barriers around the inner circle. I started to get really excited.
Shortly after arriving I heard the sound of Edge's guitar, which gave me shivers. Not long after the band came on stage for their sound check. This was a once in a lifetime kind of thing. Bono came round the walkway on the side we were working and I let out a small squeal much to the amusement of my co-workers.
Half an hour before the band were due to come on stage a few of us were moved to the barriers by where the band were to walk into the stadium. I felt like I was going to cry!
When the band started to walk towards me I couldn't believe my luck. The atmosphere was electric as they entered the stadium and the guys were heading straight past me. I was grinning like an idiot. Adam smiled as he walked past, Edge winked at me. Then came Bono. As he walked towards me he looked me right in the eye and smiled, then he offered up his hand for a high five, which I reciprocated. I was left standing in disbelief as they continued on. I also got to watch the rest of the show from a fantastic point.
I was given a telling off afterwards for high-fiving Bono, but what was I going to do - ignore him?! Hell no! I am still buzzing from that and the show, it was certainly a cure for the disappointment of not being able to afford a ticket. :hyper:

That is so great to read! You took a chance and got more then you bargained for! Excellent! :)

Yeah I agree there was a lot of pissheads at Sheffield but it didn't bother me too much. Also leaving Sheffield was poorly organised and took 2 hours to just get out of the city. But the show was great and the best they've done since Popmart. Sound quality was excellent and a million miles better than Vertigo which was awful at the Manchester gig I went to. Highlights for me were hearing the new songs especially Unknown Caller which was superb. I'm glad Edge nailed that solo and the song was amazingly powerful. Also another highlight was Ultra Violet. This song has really been one of THE songs of this tour. Some of the lows were tired versions of Pride and SBS which I think need to be rested although maybe its cos I've seen U2 7 times now and they've played these songs on nearly every tour I've been to. Great show made even better by the high quality audio recording thats available.:applaud:

Then the ground security closed the T shirt stand when there was a massive crowd wanting to buy things. I`d queued for over half hour at the end of the show to get a Don Valley T shirt to be told they couldn`t serve me when I eventually got to the front and there were still plenty of people behind me. The band lost lots of sales money there and those T shirts aren`t available on the website.......grr!

Yes, I got to the front just as he did that too - miserable b*****. It looks like some of the similar t-shirts for July venues have recently been added to the shop on the website, so hopefully these will follow shortly. They certainly had quite a few left at the stand where I was queueing.

Post U2 Blues!

What a fantastic week, the Sheffield show was a cracker also loved Wembley 2 and Cardiff, well it's back to normality and counselling.....

Different venue at Sheffield and Elbow were fantastic, we were in the Red Zone, which was great. Took a few photo's which are here MobileMe Gallery

Cheers
Warby

PS. Roll on 2010!

There was 4 lads infront of us who bought a 12 pack case of Strongbow and another beer case to enjoy in line. When we was about to get in they had 4 cans left so they were asking everyone in line of they wanted a free can, but no one would take them :lol:

yeah i saw someone with a case of that
there was some foriegn guy trying to give away cans of warm bitter..he didnt do to well with that!:doh:

Flick - that story you told was brilliant! think better than a dream come true! so glad you got to see it and have extra special experience!

Anyone who didnt get a tshirt thats ridiculous! i got mine early on in the afternoon but the speed of the serving was awful soo slow, felt like wanted to shove a key in the back of everyone and turn it to see if they moved faster!

few photos to share that i took
sorry they are all tagged but i had a nasty experience some years back with someone selling my photos on ebay as theirs so im extra careful now.

S1051352.jpg

S1051354.jpg

S1051356.jpg

S1051359.jpg

S1051360.jpg

S1051385.jpg

ALOT more on my photobucket

have got videos but youtube only uploaded one its not liking me this week:sad:

Hey nice pics. I was looking for me but I was way off to the other side! Get them videos uploaded to youtube!

We got there about 8.30am and had some really nice people near us and had a good laugh in the queue during the day, everyone looked after each others stuff so we could all take a break from the sitting on the hard concrete!! The lads in front of us were drinking but were just enjoying themselves, all went well until about 4.30 when the queue moved forward and the people who arrived late in the afternoon started to push their way down the outside. We were numbers 232 and 233 and this family of 5 and 2 French guys didn't have any numbers. Fortunately we all stuck together but we had to get security who also brought the police and we had them all thrown out of the queue, as the French "fans" became aggresive and the two males in the other group called my sister a c**t!!!!!!!!!!
So the moral of this story is dont try and push in front of the Hull Girls as you will get thrown out of the queue we wont stand for it!!!:angry::down:

But we got front rail on the main GA area we could have got in the pit easily, but I think we chose well, Bono and Edge saw our Hull Girls flag which we take everywhere but the bloody cameras died on us...again!!!! Mine is now on the bin!!!
Great concert, fab sound and made a nice change to only be an hour down the road for a change mind you that was in the morning it took almost 3 hours to get out of Sheffield and home!!

Does anyone know what the song was played on the PA almost throughout the day? Sounds like he was singing ''Assasinal Lover'' or ''7-11'?
We thought it was Bruce Springsteen.

:lol: same.
There was groans of disbelief when we heard it the 8th time!

I want to know what it was so I can add it to my Sheffield bootleg to mark my first concert experience :D
Going to make the playlist as that song > Space Oddity > Kingdom > Breathe, etc :nerd:

Just listening to sheffield now, sounds like the band where really on fire for the last 2 dates,

:lol: same.
There was groans of disbelief when we heard it the 8th time!

I want to know what it was so I can add it to my Sheffield bootleg to mark my first concert experience :D
Going to make the playlist as that song > Space Oddity > Kingdom > Breathe, etc :nerd:

I couldnt belive it when they kept playing it lol, it got a bit addictive in the end.

yeah I'm pretty sure it's Bruce. I've heard it probably 40-50 times now, but I'm not a big fan so I have no clue what song it is. has a lot of "ooh ooh" in it though.

they play the same song again and again to check the whole PA system, it's easier if you always play the same song.

Its Chris Rea they were playing to test the PA. Not sure of the song though.

Then the ground security closed the T shirt stand when there was a massive crowd wanting to buy things. I`d queued for over half hour at the end of the show to get a Don Valley T shirt to be told they couldn`t serve me when I eventually got to the front and there were still plenty of people behind me. The band lost lots of sales money there and those T shirts aren`t available on the website.......grr!

The Don Valley t-shirts are now on the U2.com store - $30 + $7 delivery

Back
Top Bottom