August 18th, Hampden Park Glasgow-SCOTLANDI Posted About 360 Being the New Pop Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batfink27

Acrobat
Well im just back from Hampden and i have to say im utterly,utterly blown away by U2,they are just completely incredible live,The claw up close is phenomenal and the whole show is AMAZING! Honestly,the videos on youtube just dont do it justice.Im dumbfounded by how great U2 are.By far the best band ive ever seen. The only downside to the night was that the sound was completely messed up.Half of Walk On didnt come through the PA but the band didnt know and kept on playing and it was virtual silence to us.Also sometimes the guitar sound cut out during songs.To be honest this didnt take away from the night. If you havent been to the 360 tour yet youre in for an absolute treat! P.S I still cant beleive Bono was only about 3 feet from me eafrlier! :drool::ohmy:

Just got home from Hampden!!!!!! The best experience of my life. I cried four times and when the amps fused the audience carried it well!! Was blown away by how fantastic the gig was and after being awake for 2 day straight i dont plan on going to bed just yet lol! Never going to forget runnign for my life to get into the inner circle got back railing next to the catwalk just off to adams side was so happy i got there that i cried :heart: i also knocked poor steward to the ground after being pulled across the pitch screaming aaaaaah im going to die and i think you should move before boom i ran into him and he went flying :lol: im just rambling whilst still on cloud U2 after tonight

Just got home from Hampden!!!!!! The best experience of my life. I cried four times and when the amps fused the audience carried it well!! Was blown away by how fantastic the gig was and after being awake for 2 day straight i dont plan on going to bed just yet lol! Never going to forget runnign for my life to get into the inner circle got back railing next to the catwalk just off to adams side was so happy i got there that i cried :heart: i also knocked poor steward to the ground after being pulled across the pitch screaming aaaaaah im going to die and i think you should move before boom i ran into him and he went flying :lol: im just rambling whilst still on cloud U2 after tonight

i was just on the outside of the circle but at the same place you were! Bono came over during Magnificent and hung over the stage and i was like 4 foot from him.Amazing! I dont think they even realised the sound had gone during walk on.They just kept on playing like they didnt know.

i was just on the outside of the circle but at the same place you were! Bono came over during Magnificent and hung over the stage and i was like 4 foot from him.Amazing! I dont think they even realised the sound had gone during walk on.They just kept on playing like they didnt know.

yeah im quite glad they didnt notice and most of the fans carried on having a good old sing along even though it had gone but some rude guy next to me thought it was appropriate too boo! them. i wasnt happy what are they meant to do about a tecnical fault they didnt know had happened! Wish i could go do it all over again :lol: best time ever

For me - a bit dissapointed. The overall sound was poor, Bono's mic was playing up during Pride, they should have restarted Walk On and the standard set list just doesn't work, especially the encore.

Bono's vocals :hmm: he need's the re-learn the words to some of the songs. In particular, the older ones that they have re-introduced in the last 2 tours. Great playing, as usual, by the rest of the band though.

The Claw. I went from :ohmy: to :hyper: to :hmm: Very impressive and a great way to set out a stadium show but I ended thinking that it didn't work that well. I am pretty sure that it will get better as the tour goes on, once Willie starts to use it to it's full potential.

Overall. Still enjoyed it but it was nowhere near as good as Zoo TV or PopMart. Equal 3rd with Vertigo when I expected it be much better.

Anyhoo, off to Cardiff on Saturday for a 2nd opinion.....:wave:

Fantastic gig I was totally blown away. I was in the pit against the back rail centre stage. This was the best concert position I have ever had.

Seeing the band from in the pit is a totally insane experience. The show is called 360 degrees, I think that is because your head needs to swivel right round to take everying in. The band were allover the stage and ring walkway.

This show blows Vertigo out of the water and after two sedate indoor tours our American friends are in for a real treat.

The setlist was great, I was hoping to see the One/UTTEOTW/New Years Day triplet,But other than that I was really pleased with it.
I never in a million years thought I would ever see them play Unforgetable Fire and it was awesome one of the show highltights.

All in all a great gig fantastic voice & performance by Bono, Adam was right into it and Larry seemed to enjoy it more too. As for Edge well he was Edge you know what to expect!

Only downside was the sound. In general I dont think the sound is at iys best in the pit but you take your choice and live with it.
It started to go astray during Pride when Edges Guitar went really loud, MLK suffered with rises and drops in volume and Walk On it went completely.Thankfully it came back on but was still a little rough for One.

What was more annoying was how quickly people booed & jeered, after about a minute it started and it really pissed me off. I know you expect things to be perfect but at the end of the day it is electrical equipment and it can and does go wrong!

However, it didnt spoil the gig for me at all.

By the way Moment of Surrender is an awesome closer where Bono got the energy from to sing like that I'll never know.

Roll on Sheffield.

:wave:

I would have loved to be at that show. Power outage :lol: I experienced that once at a Springsteen show and it happend twice. Good for U2 to just keep on playing :up: Stupid of people to boo :down: It could happen to anyone, it's a live show afterall.

if the band knows the audience can't hear and keep playing it's a bit of a dick move and people are within their rights to boo.

but we don't know, so i'm happy to give u2 the benefit of the doubt. they aren't really the kind of band to do what i said above.

I was in the pit last night just in front of adam,and let me say it was awesome. I CANT beleive how good this band are,when the walkway went over my head during magnificent and then Bono looked down at us all,i could have died there and then! Going to see them in chicago next month,and its gonna have to go some to beat lastnight!

I too was in the inner circle next to Adam and I agree, when Bono walked over the bridge during Magnificent it was surreal. Never in a million years did I think I would see the man himself so close with my own 2 eyes.

As for the gig, it was perfect. The best night of my life. I really wish all these complainers would shut it as they sure as hell won't see a better gig from any other band. So they didn't play Bad, UTEOTW etc. But you know what? I DON'T GIVE A TOSS! The night was absolutely perfect and it still hasn't sunk in.

if the band knows the audience can't hear and keep playing it's a bit of a dick move and people are within their rights to boo.

but we don't know, so i'm happy to give u2 the benefit of the doubt. they aren't really the kind of band to do what i said above.

Fact :-All professional bands use in ear monitors.

Fact:-When using in ear monitors all you can hear is the mix of the band in your ears.

Fact:-The band mix will still have been coming through the in ear monitors or they would have stopped or been terribly out of time.

Fact:-The band did not know the house sound was down. As far as they were concerned they were still being heard.

Fact:-If you are a musician you carry on if at all possiblle the worst to do is stop and restart.

A dick move I think not:angry:

Fact :-All professional bands use in ear monitors.

Fact:-When using in ear monitors all you can hear is the mix of the band in your ears.

Fact:-The band mix will still have been coming through the in ear monitors or they would have stopped or been terribly out of time.

Fact:-The band did not know the house sound was down. As far as they were concerned they were still being heard.

Fact:-If you are a musician you carry on if at all possiblle the worst to do is stop and restart.

A dick move I think not:angry:

did you miss the part that said if? i also guess that every single person involved with the production thought the sound was still good.

jesus, way to overreact. in fact, did you even read my second paragraph? you also realise u2 have stopped and restarted songs on this tour, right?

I was in the inner circle on Adam's side and certainly had a great view of the band, but probably a little too close to appreciate the visuals and the Claw in all it's glory. Pity I'm not attending any other gigs (thanks to my pregnant and very hormonal wife who's calling all the shots at the moment:madwife:) as I'd probably stand a bit further back for a different perspective. The band sounded great (as always) and Bono's vocals were on the whole pretty clear from where I was standing. Pity about the sound dropping out on Walk On though. They should really have started it again or tagged on another song after One.
The highlights for me were undoubtedly, UF, Ultraviolet and UC....and I have to say that MOS as a closer is growing on me. The organ intro reminds me of LIB - the best closer ever!

On the whole, it was a great night and flew by way too quickly.....but then they always do.

Can anyone remind me where the Flower of Scotland snippet was? I think, if I remember correctly, it was at the start of BD or was it I Still Haven't Found?

I was in the inner circle on Adam's side and certainly had a great view of the band, but probably a little too close to appreciate the visuals and the Claw in all it's glory. Pity I'm not attending any other gigs (thanks to my pregnant and very hormonal wife who's calling all the shots at the moment:madwife:) as I'd probably stand a bit further back for a different perspective. The band sounded great (as always) and Bono's vocals were on the whole pretty clear from where I was standing. Pity about the sound dropping out on Walk On though. They should really have started it again or tagged on another song after One.
The highlights for me were undoubtedly, UF, Ultraviolet and UC....and I have to say that MOS as a closer is growing on me. The organ intro reminds me of LIB - the best closer ever!

On the whole, it was a great night and flew by way too quickly.....but then they always do.

Can anyone remind me where the Flower of Scotland snippet was? I think, if I remember correctly, it was at the start of BD or was it I Still Haven't Found?

The flower of scotland snippet was at the start of BD.The sound really was a mess last night i dont know how the tech guys let it get so bad.Thankfully it didnt detract from the show as a whole as it was awesome!

did you miss the part that said if? i also guess that every single person involved with the production thought the sound was still good.

jesus, way to overreact. in fact, did you even read my second paragraph? you also realise u2 have stopped and restarted songs on this tour, right?

surely the guys in the mixing desk knew the sound was gone in the stadium? they must have one guy at least making sure the audiance can hear the band?

I'm sure the band didn't know otherwise they wouldn't have continued to play. They have re-started other songs on this tour (One, Vertigo). But I somehow understand people are irritated when the sound is going out suddenly and tend to act on impulse.

Yeah shame about the sound last night but stuff happens so gotta
be professional and carry on what U2 Did! .i was in the pit to right
side of adam/bono i was prob standing near alot of forum members lol
as to the gig bono's vocal was amazing!! really on top form.has he
quit smoking or summit? adam was grooving and edge+larry the usual
just brill.Hampden is not the best place for rock concerts imo but overall
the sound was good from the pit with a few hairy moments like the huge
sound during MLK/edges guitar getting louder and 'Walk on' only
monitors and iem going.i was hoping for maybe another song in the 22
song set cause in london they did 24songs on the 2nd night! All the
new songs are great but i do hope they freshing up the set list when
the 2nd leg hits the USA.Fez(being born/Stand up comedy would be cool
to hear live and sum stuff sound checked 'follow' 'your blue room' 'drowning
man' ect

i was waiting in the line to get in and STV(Scottish television)
came up and asked a few Questions check it out here
U2's Scottish fans anticipate Hampden gig | Music | STV Entertainment

it was my Birthday so had a few bottles of champers/bottles
of beers between 3 of so was a little tipsy when interviewed
im the one with the cap and shades on lol

gig was good but hard to beat 3 nights at croke park the 1st
and 2nd night just blew me away at croke..

BB

Local media reviews below.

Daily Record

Live review: U2 @ Hampden Park - The Daily Record

Superstars U2 stormed Hampden last night - despite a few glitches with their astonishing new stage set.

The Irish rockers were competing with the Celtic v Arsenal Champion's League tie - and more than rose to the occasion with hits such as Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride.

But at one point, the stage was plunged into silence when the sound failed.

Singer Bono was paying tribute to the Burmese opposition politician Aung San Suu Kyi at the time.

And the sound loss drew boos from the audience.

In a bid to get intimate with the locals, Bono asked: "Bellshill, where's that? How close to here?

He then thanked support band Glasvegas, before telling the crowd: "We feel blessed, you've given us a lot from Barrowlands to here."

As the crowd sang along to I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Bono claimed: "They can hear that in Celtic Park."

At one point,guitarist The Edge shook a huge Lion Rampant snow globe, to the delight of the crowd.

But while tens of thousands enjoyed a blinding set by the Irish rockers, more than a few claimed they couldn't see a thing because of the set design.

For long spells, U2 played with their backs to an entireWestStand.

Effectively an impressive piece of scaffolding designed to pack more fans into the stadium show, the monstrous stanchions of the 164-ft The Claw stage set blocked the view for some unhappy fans seated in Hampden Park.

Jackie Hamilton, from Cumbernauld, was among those who could not see the band thanks to their revolving 360 Degree tour stage set.

She said: "I am gutted. Furious. My husband bought me and my son the tickets and it's such a lot of money. £300 for us both.

She added: "I have loved U2 for years and won't let it spoil it, but I'm gutted. I think we should get our money back."

And Kathleen McCallum, from Ayrshire admitted: "I am very disappointed.

"I love U2. I've seen them since '84 in the Barrowlands days.

" I am disappointed at paying £150 and not being able to see."

Those fortunate enough to see and hear their idols let their hair down during the likes of Vertigo, City Of Blinding Light and Unforgettable Fire.

And while The Claw was a problem for some, thousands of fans left delighted - claiming the band had never been better.

STV

U2 stun Hampden | Music | STV Entertainment

U2 are renowned for being a spectacular live band. Anyone who saw their Live Aid performance back in 1985 will appreciate the stage presence and power of the man who appropriately calls himself Bono Vox. And the 60,000-strong crowd at Hampden Park last night were not disappointed.

True to the hype following two sell-out shows at Wembley on Friday and Saturday, the guys rolled into Glasgow to showcase both their new album and classic hits, including Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You, Pride (In the Name of Love) and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

As part of the finale, the lights were turned down low and a massive glitter-ball sparkled throughout the stadium as the band performed their hit One.

The loyal U2 fans were in heaven.

"It was totally spectacular. Amazing," said one.

"It was like listening to a CD the vocals were so clear," said another. "The crowd was brilliant, people were hugging each other, there wasn't a hint of trouble."

Even a technical problem with the sound could not dampen their enthusiasm. "You could see on the screens that Bono was still singing his heart out as if his life depened on it," said Debbie McGill.

I got into the gig (as in arrived at it, not started to appreciate it) during Vertigo from the big match at Celtic Park. It was a very quick drive across Glasgow at that time cos there was no other traffic on the road.

I walked around the concourse at the top and back of the stand from behind the stage to Edge's side. Most people were quite pished (although I always think that when I am), and jumping around. Glasgow people are not shy. I had complete strangers (male and female) grab me for a dance or sway during different songs - great fun!

Seeing U2 mime to Walk On was quite funny. But there was a LOT of people booing and whistling when it happened. Then there was a huge cheer when the music came back.

But there was some weird and God awful bass thing going on during MLK too.

I held my newly purchased Celtic - Arsenal scarf over my head when Bono sang the You'll Never Walk Alone snippet. Alas the Bhoys lost 2-0. I was hoping Bono might send us a goal or two.

Anyway, I only saw half the gig so I should only write half a review :)

Seem like we were all on Adams side of the stage!! I was in the inner cirle also around there.

I was to the left of the soundboard that Glasvegas had before it got taken down. Adam was on top form, smiling and moving about this side of the stage a lot.

I never saw much of The Edge but Bono was over now and again. I thought the sound was good considering there is no way to stop the soundwaves reverberating around the stands. Overall another top notch concert.

Only very small gripe was the setlist, wished they played Bad and UTEOFW or at least 23 or 24 songs.

Last edited:
Seeing U2 mime to Walk On was quite funny. But there was a LOT of people booing and whistling when it happened. Then there was a huge cheer when the music came back.

This is the kind of stuff which makes the concert all the more memorable...for the fans and for the band. I think it's hilarious...kind of like when the lemon didn't open on Popmart tour. I still want to see a video of it though (Glasgow).

This is the kind of stuff which makes the concert all the more memorable...for the fans and for the band. I think it's hilarious...kind of like when the lemon didn't open on Popmart tour. I still want to see a video of it though (Glasgow).

The funniest thing was that everyone was standing there watching the band play in silence. Then when the music came back on almost everyone in the stadium cheered and waved their hands in the air simultaneously.

I don't know what the band must have thought if they heard the cheer and saw all the hands wave at the same time at what would normally be a really inappropriate part of the song for that to happen. I think Bono even waved back. He must have been thinking "Wow! Glasgow REALLY likes THIS line!" :)

:lol::lol: I just got done listening to a full audio version of the song and it really went on for a long time (the silence)....and he just kept singing?

Back
Top Bottom