August 15th, Wembley Stadium, London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Please post your reviews, pics and experiences for this show here.

They played Bad. At Wembley Stadium. The reason I'm a U2 fan. I'm going away to invent some new words.

Just a few random thoughts...

V.Good performance by band. Great to hear Bad. Nice fuck up by Larry in Pride. Crowd didnt really get going until B.Day. Got in the inner circle didnt arrive at ground til 3.30.Stadium and facilities are second to none but......

'Walk to the left, walk to the right, dont go here,cant come in here,dont walk too fast,bars shut at 9.45,get off the shoulders,dont smoke,cant stand here sir,move up the steps please etc etc etc. FFS Wembley its a rock concert not an opera!:angry:

I went with someone who is only a casual fan and were quite pleased to get into the inner circle for the proximity angle, but wanted to go towards the back of the GA for the encore a) for a different angle and see the claw in all its glory b) get a quick getaway through the entrance we came in to avoid any dis-orientation. I know we live in a day and age of H&S but bloody hell give me a bit of the muck and bullets that used to be stadium concerts not the sterile conditions in Wembley.

Big thumbs up to the Parky boys for the parking advice:up: in and out like flynn and back in Worcs by 12.30:wave:

U2 performance:up:

Wembley gestapo:down:

002.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

As a footnote to what i wrote last night. Put that performance with a Croatian crowd in the Nou Camp and not have Breathe as the opener and you would have a very special show:lol:

Also whether it was just where i was(many guests,vips etc) but i was expecting a bit more of a sinalong response to 40? Though it was sometimes hard to hear the crowd en masse down in the circle because the sound is a bit echoy.

Back on the pitch for me at Sheffield i think its more fun!

Oh and Larry did almost the exact same thing on Pride i think at the 2nd Bercy show on Elevation tour i think.:nerd: I like it!

Man it was a great show, loved hearing Stay and Bad :up: :hyper:.

I have also come to the conclusion that Glasvegas truly suck :down:.

Agree with MacHat about Glasvegas, saw them in Dublin so thought the safest place to be on Saturday was in the concourse :lol:

Really excellent gig last night. We were stood in the Claw on Edge's side. Definite highlight to hear UTEOTW > NYD once again, dropping in Bad at the end is always a winner as well :drool: Thought the new songs sounded excellent once more, for me Unknown Caller & Magnificent have been 2 standouts of those.

Bring on my next stop in Cardiff :drool:(but my last stop :sad:)

Enjoyed both shows at Wembley problem the best I have seen the boys since the early eighties! Took camera on Sat night and the photo's are here MobileMe Gallery , roll on Hampden!

Cheers
Warby

Just a few random thoughts...

V.Good performance by band. Great to hear Bad. Nice fuck up by Larry in Pride. Crowd didnt really get going until B.Day. Got in the inner circle didnt arrive at ground til 3.30.Stadium and facilities are second to none but......

'Walk to the left, walk to the right, dont go here,cant come in here,dont walk too fast,bars shut at 9.45,get off the shoulders,dont smoke,cant stand here sir,move up the steps please etc etc etc. FFS Wembley its a rock concert not an opera!:angry:

I went with someone who is only a casual fan and were quite pleased to get into the inner circle for the proximity angle, but wanted to go towards the back of the GA for the encore a) for a different angle and see the claw in all its glory b) get a quick getaway through the entrance we came in to avoid any dis-orientation. I know we live in a day and age of H&S but bloody hell give me a bit of the muck and bullets that used to be stadium concerts not the sterile conditions in Wembley.

Big thumbs up to the Parky boys for the parking advice:up: in and out like flynn and back in Worcs by 12.30:wave:

U2 performance:up:

Wembley gestapo:down:

ha ha ha- yeah Wembley staff are like that- all in the name of Health & Safety. You did well to get back to Worcs by 12.30- I live near Gloucester and got back at 1am- although I had a slight delay getting out of the car park

great gig though- given my later arrival I didn't expect to get into the Inner Claw so that was a bonus. Slightly further round on Edge's side this time so could see the entire stage-

I had the "I'm going to stand here arms folded the entire show" person who was behind me for some of the show wasn't happy about me jumping up and down and kept jabbing me slightly in the back- didn't stop me though :D

great set list- always a pleasure to hear End of the world, New years day and Stay and Bad (a song that used to bore me stupid- that I now really like!). Hearing 80,000 people sing ISHWILF was quite amazing- the band looked like they were having a great time as well.

by the end of the show I felt like I'd done an extended work out in the gym

along with Dublin 2 it's my favourite of the shows I've been to on this tour. Sadly just one more to go next weekend at Cardiff

My photos are here.

I thought the atmosphere last night was quite poor for most of the gig where I was in the cheap seats. I think it was mostly curious day-trippers and families. I think most of the hardcore U2 fans went on Friday. Even the GA seemed quite flat at times. Too many people spectating and not enough people participating.

The gig was clearly not sold out either. There were a lot of empty seats around.

Having said that, U2 played phenomenally, I'm sure they must have seen the red gaps in the stands and sensed a slightly less raucous audience compared to Friday. Give em a wee challenge. But they took it on and played a blinding set.

Bono's chat between songs was best when it was spontaneous. He seemed a bit forced before ISHFWILF when he went through most of the familiar lines about having a great life etc. He got a much better response when he revealed that Joe O'Herlihy had secretly dropped one of Edge's plectrums into the cement when the builders were laying the foundations for Wembley - nice! "So the Edge is always with you" Bono said :)

A comical moment when Larry ended Pride early with the others still playing. He realised immediately and started again, and I think the others almost stopped, probably too shocked to hear Larry make a mistake. They ended the song quite quickly after. Just like chatting up girls or invading foreign countries, it's always better to make a hasty retreat when you feck it up. Awkward smiles all around :)

And soon it was onto Bad. Yes, I was pished last night when I made that comment above. But I did have a point. There is a gap in English for a new word.

Here's the definition:

"the emotional experience of seeing in person later in your life, a performance of a certain song by a certain band at a certain location that you saw on TV early in your life, that made you love that band for the rest of your life"

We need a word for this. How can I express how I felt until I have a word for it? Feck me, that was a very, very beautiful moment. Context is everything and the context for me in seeing U2 play Bad at Wembley is very special.

And to be honest I can't really remember too much else about the gig so no random observations from me this time.

A great show

I had a really fantastic time at both Wembley shows, was lucky to be in the Red Zone for the both, which I really recommend if you ge the chance.

H ave been to many shows since the early 80's and these were probably the best to shows I have been to since then, great set lists both nights, great crowd, well where I was, lots of energy and Wembley is a great stadium and that is coming from a Jock! Well off to Hampden next in GA hope the lads can keep it up.

Took camera on Sat night and photo's here MobileMe Gallery

Cheers
Warby

I really dont think bono will have noticed the empty seats, from every pic and vid i have seen you cant notice any empty spaces?

there weren't that many empty seats- some right at the top and some they didn't sell for line of sight reasons

there weren't that many empty seats- some right at the top and some they didn't sell for line of sight reasons

Well I saw very many little bunches of empty seats scattered all over the stadium, and not just the large blocks of seats that weren't used because they had no view of the stage.

Well I saw very many little bunches of empty seats scattered all over the stadium, and not just the large blocks of seats that weren't used because they had no view of the stage.

They were mostly filled by the time U2 played Beautiful Day - you are right when the band came on stage there were pockets, but last nights crowd was definitely more of a casual crowd, so I saw lots of people coming in late.

I'm like you in much preferring Wembley 1 as compared to Wembley 2. We seem to be in the minority with that!

I suppose we are very fortunate to have been able to go to both shows - although of course you have been to a great many more shows than that on this tour!

red zone for me (near adam) and great views - but band still not using the stage as much as they should. That said this was my 5th show on this tour and the best performance imo - really enjoyed it big time. I would say around 2-3,000 less people tonight but imo a better crowd Mike

I estimate there were about 1000 seats empty when the band took to the stage... lots of people streaming out during MOS as well (same at every gig).

In fact, when I was miserably sitting outside the stadium on Friday there were still people waltzing in well past The Unforgettable Fire. I was tempted to shout obscenities at them for being pricks.

Man it was a great show, loved hearing Stay and Bad :up: :hyper:.

I have also come to the conclusion that Glasvegas truly suck :down:.

We were begging the security guy to get us some earplugs when they were on :lol:

2nd time seen them support they were not any better :no:

Got them in Cardiff , luckily my hubby can get some security standard earplugs for us so we'll just have to close our eyes and pretend they're not there :lmao:

And what can i say , how classy squirting sun cream onto your hand and putting it down your pants .......NOT :yuck::sick:

Back
Top Bottom