August 15th, Wembley Stadium, London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Night 2 ..

MAGNIFICENT!!!!!

Spend second night on back rail , so we could experience CT and The Claw in action. Although being 5ft i only got a few sightings of the boys on main stage don't regret the choice of position.

2nd night sounded better to me, although i loved both setlists.:love:

Roll on Sheffield :hyper:

According to Live Nation security folk attendance on Friday was 88,000, Saturday was 75,000. Still preferred Saturday though.

Very pleased to have gone GA after reading comments about corporate types in the seats. I noticed on the tube from Wembley afterwards that some folk were way too gone on alcohol or drugs to have enjoyed the show - just another night out for them which is sad. But the Inner Circle GA experience (which we queued for from 2.30pm on Friday and 12.30pm on Saturday) was superb and the genuine fans very well behaved and great to be amongst.

We were front of rail on Adams side both nights and on Saturday a women was ill (looked very white). Fans parted from the rail very quickly so she could be let out which was great to see. Also security were handing out free water to anyone who asked for it at the front - another good touch that does not go unnoticed and another example of fans being looked after.

A great crowd on Sat. at Wembley. To be honest I enjoyed it even more than Dublin 1. :hyper: LOVED hearing Stay.

Agree with comments about Glasvegas though. Such a crap band and cannot believe I have to see them for a third time in Cardiff! :down::down::down:

We were begging the security guy to get us some earplugs when they were on :lol:

2nd time seen them support they were not any better :no:

Got them in Cardiff , luckily my hubby can get some security standard earplugs for us so we'll just have to close our eyes and pretend they're not there :lmao:

And what can i say , how classy squirting sun cream onto your hand and putting it down your pants .......NOT :yuck::sick:

yeah I saw BoreVegas in Dublin as well and they were terrible- so we spent the entire 45mins in the concourse area until they'd finished and as we went back to the Inner Claw they were leaving

will do the same thing in Cardiff- what a shame U2 didn't ask White Lies to do some support slots- a great young band who know how to do the live thing- and they have better songs

How could you meet Bono so close to the show and still be able to get in and so close to the stage?

I had a lot of luck, I knew what time they will be entering the stadium, so I went there and I was back in 20 minutes in the line, so my friends were keepong place for me in the line because doors were opend 1h after boys were in.

Well fucking hell! what a night! that was best I have seen of U2 so far and the other times I have seen U2 at wembley have not seen it packed as it was this night...previous times there were plenty of space at the back of the pitch!

Loved The Hours never herad them before and they got a better reception then that godawful band glasvegas!

Oh and a little know band called U2? THEY WERE FECKING EXCELLENT!

Heres a piccie of me :)

had a great night, my first U2 gig and it was excellent, cant wait for the next tour! We were on the bar of the runway so had a great spot!

And soon it was onto Bad. Yes, I was pished last night when I made that comment above. But I did have a point. There is a gap in English for a new word.

Here's the definition:

"the emotional experience of seeing in person later in your life, a performance of a certain song by a certain band at a certain location that you saw on TV early in your life, that made you love that band for the rest of your life"

We need a word for this. How can I express how I felt until I have a word for it? Feck me, that was a very, very beautiful moment. Context is everything and the context for me in seeing U2 play Bad at Wembley is very special.

:love:

Gorgeous photos everyone. Just gorgeous!!!

And I voted for Unforgettable Fire in the poll :wink:
I would have voted Bad, but I've seen Bad before, and haven't seen Unforgettable Fire :)

heres a few examples of my pictures from Saturday

P1050604.jpg

P1050597.jpg

P1050612.jpg

P1050615.jpg

P1050626.jpg

P1050625.jpg

P1050648.jpg

Another bad review from the good old british media, this time from wharf.co.uk (never heard of them myself), why oh why is it that most fans are saying this was a really really great concert, but yet the media are slagging the band off?,plus yet again if you read to the end it has another little dig at the new album:

MUSIC
U2 live at Wembley Stadium
3/5

IN A NUTSHELL
Have U2 lost their edge as the veteran Irish band go through the motions on their latest world tour.
REVIEW
The band's legendary guitarist was very much present on the futuristic stage at Wembley at the weekend, but their ability to wow an audience with a live show seemed to be missing because this was a gig that promised a lot more than it delivered.

The Irish quartet have been at this game for over 30 years now and as ever their playing was faultless. It was just the pace and focus of the show that was full of holes.

It wasn't helped by the fact they apparently appeared late on stage on Saturday evening, something that might have contributed to the feeling that they were rushing through things a little, resulting in momentum being lost when they should have been cranking the audience up to a fervent peak.

To their credit the multi-millionaire band had slashed ticket prices for their 360 tour, although the swathes of empty seats at the stadium indicated the ploy had not worked as well as they had hoped.

There was still plenty of pre-concert anticipation among the crowd, which comprised the now standard mix of grizzled veterans and fresh-faced adolescents eager for their first taste of the Dublin band's legendary live performance.

But, sadly, there was something missing here. It was hard to put your finger on it at first, but as things developed it began to become apparent - passion.

This was a show lacking any real sense of passion, which is ironic considering Bono is probably the most passionate man on the planet when it comes to any number of causes. Maybe he's finding the music a bit of a distraction these days.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a U2 fan of longer-standing than I care to remember and had the privilege of seeing them in their late 1980s pomp.

There were still some great moments. Pride (In The Name Of Love) is such a great crowd pleaser it would have been impossible to ruin it, while One remains an emotional masterpiece, but too often it felt like the band was simply going through the motions.

Perhaps, having striven to make themselves relevant throughout the 1990s and beyond, U2 have lost track of what made them great in the first place, sacrificing their distinctive sonic sculptures for rather too much thrash and bash.

Maybe it's an age thing. Tracks from more recent albums, including this year's effort No Line On The Horizon, lack the tingle the band's back catalogue inspires.

Evidence came from the raucous reception greeting classics like New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Where the Streets Have No Name, compared to a relatively muted response to newer songs.

And it was never really about the message for most of us. The sublime guitar work of the Edge, Adam Clayton's thudding basslines and Larry Mullen Jr's peerless drumming made Bono's persistent sermonizing bearable.

But even the political message seems tired these days. Apart from an admirable dedication of Walk On to imprisoned Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi and a cameo appearance on the big screen from Desmond Tutu, this was strictly a rock show.

The much-maligned staging, a giant claw-like structure costing several millions of pounds, was designed to give fans an almost perfect view of the band, although given the distance most of the 70,000-plus audience were from the stage the four members remained indistinguishable.

An encore of Ultraviolet, With or Without You and Moment of Surrender rounded things off with Bono thanking the audience for giving the band a great life.

Lucky them. Perhaps the band will come off the back of this tour and give us one final great album.

They've still got the talent and the energy. Perhaps U2 just need to find their inspiration again.

Another bad review from the good old british media, this time from wharf.co.uk (never heard of them myself), why oh why is it that most fans are saying this was a really really great concert, but yet the media are slagging the band off?,plus yet again if you read to the end it has another little dig at the new album:

Curious the British media are giving them a rough ride while the usually very hard to please Irish media gave the shows a great review. Maybe it's the done thing to criticise them at the moment and labour how the sales of No Line have been low compared to previous albums (ignoring the fact that industry-wide sales are down and nobody is immune to it). From what I've seen the new tracks have been pretty well received by the audience in attendance.

Here is a 2nd review from The Times offering a different slant to their first one -

U2: secrets of stadium rock - Telegraph Blogs

The most rubbish line of that review:

"But even the political message seems tired these days. Apart from an admirable dedication of Walk On to imprisoned Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi"

...okay, hold on, hold on here. What is this writer smoking?! Walk On was originally WRITTEN for Aung San Suu Kyi, almost a decade ago!!! And it's only NOW that the rest of the world is finally taking notice of her plight, thanks to renewed interest in her trial, and, in part, due to U2's efforts to highlight her situation. World leaders (Clinton, etc.) are becoming increasingly vocal about Burma's human rights record. If anything, 'Walk On' is now MORE politically relevant than it's EVER been. It would be gauche of U2 to say this themselves, but that's what the critic's job is: to contextualize the band's work for the reading audience. This guy didn't even come close to doing his job.

Ha, this is possibly the amusing thing yet.

They are now complaining that there is *too little* politics in the show?!

Also, newsatleven: "music fans in 'knowing older songs better' shocker!"

Some of these reviewers sound as if they weren't really there.

The guy from Q made a lot of mistakes in his review, naming wrong songs and such, he also left before the show ended and didn't hear that Moment of Surrender was the closer. He kind of disqualified himself by mocking the band member's looks :doh: His review is a real annoyance, even if there is also much positive stuff in there.

I wouldn't worry. In British media, it seems very hip at the moment to bash U2. There have been positive reviews as well. And as someone said earlier: The Irish media has been given them good reviews, and I feel that's more important. I also read some positive reviews about Glasgow. It's like album reviews: Always depending on who is writing the piece, and sometimes it's just a plain U2 hater who's having a hard time liking anything the band is doing.

I think it's fair to say that, for fans, the Wembley shows were great, especially the second one, and that's all that counts.

Here is a 2nd review from The Times offering a different slant to their first one -

U2: secrets of stadium rock - Telegraph Blogs

I think the most important lines of this review are

"He (Bono) gives himself completely, and his audience, whipped up by the spectacle, dazzled by lights, and lifted by stirring performances of songs built for scale, give themselves back."

and

"Every fan brings something of themselves to the music, and embarks on their own personal journey but (on a good night, with a band we already love, and songs that already mean something to us) we can be taken outside of ourselves, so that we suddenly find ourselves united with a mass of humanity, singing together."

This is what it's all about.

Just got a tiny weenie little quibbile...playing Magnificent at the mo, and was thinking when they played it live at Wembley 2, I thought in the riffs part I was going to see strobes! and I mean strobes oozing out of every pore in the Claw! Imagine what that would of been like! strobes on the band as well as the crowd! :)

Jaysus, these pictures are phenomenal! (And they actually look better on Interference than on Flickr!)

Back
Top Bottom