August 10, 2010 Commerzbank Arena, Frankfurt DE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight's fantabulotous show was back to U2 live business as usual, compared to watching the gig in Turin through a "Is Bono gonna be alright?" prism. I completely forgot about Bono's injury for 90% of the show, it'd be hard to tell he'd had any back surgery just a few months ago! He was swinging on the steering wheel mic like a kid during the encore.

And as much as I loved the emotion and drama of the first-gig-back concert on Friday, tonight was just a bloomin great U2 concert. The German crowd were completely and raucously up-for-it, the whole stadium was bouncing, clapping and singing along from the start. I was in seats on the lower tier, slightly to Adam's side, at the end of the stadium directly facing the band. Fantastic seats for €41 each! (I only got them online last night so I suspect they may have been moved down a few price categories to shift them.)

My couchsurf host here in Frankfurt brought a pair of quite powerful binoculars with him so we were able to take turns watching the boys onstage in stalker-like detail. It was lovely to spy on some of the little band interactions that are usually impossible to spot from a distance, especially Larry's little smirks and laughs with Bono, Adam and occasionally with his techie Sam.

Actually Larry got up and gave Bono a very hearty standing ovation just after Bono's Lord Of The Prance around the outer stage during that new instrumental opener. So Bono gave Larry an ovation back.

Whilst it almost goes against standard U2 policy not to open (properly) with a song off their most recent album, Beautiful Day does get the entire stadium rocking from the start in a way that Breathe never could. And New Year's Day was an inspired second choice, pumping some more fuel into the fire, with some extra Polish passion added to the mayhem in the pit. Six Poland flags were hoisted by fans in different parts of the pit, one was thrown onto the stage, and Bono draped it over one of his monitors where I think it stayed for the rest of the show.

The German crowd were LOOOOUD, very, very loud, and fully into the show, with the full stadium on its feet, singing and clapping along to ISHFWILF, and bopping away happily to Mysterious Ways.

The big highlight tonight for me was Miss Sarajevo, especially when Bono strains for and hits that astonishing operatic solo. And I'm finally starting to see what others rave about for UTEOTW, it is a superb bit of rock opera, with Edge dredging some filthy sounds from his orchestra. Streets had a lovely long intro (and the white lights even worked tonight too).

I'm sure Moment of Surrender has a new arrangement at the start, it sounds different, more melodic, to me. It still builds intensely, but why do they drop the third verse ...? Bono dedicated it to the people who died at the Love Parade in Germany recently. It was a slightly awkward dedication, I thought he'd bonovoxed himself into a corner for a second, but he got out of it eventually. But the crowd certainly appreciated the dedication.

I must say, the light show and production looks incredible from the lower tier at back of the stadium. I allowed my eyes to sorta diffuse into the video screen, the towering Claw and the light show, and blurry eyed some songs are gorgeously lush.

There were a few flubs, but nothing too flubby. Least fav songs for me are Elevation, SBS, and Mysterious Ways, but they're three stadium blockbusters so I suspect they ain't going anywhere. I'm still not sure about Glastonbury yet after only two listens. Bono called it a 70s style rock out, I'm not convinced yet. I think they need to put on some wellies and tie daisy chains in their hair first :)

Show sounded awesome, and this was an awesome performance of Mysterious Ways, complete with a great new light show and screen effect!

I am over the slide solo, it would be nice to get back, but whatever, I kind of doubt it.

YouTube - ‪U2 Frankfurt 2010-08-10 Mysterious Ways - u2gigs.com‬‎

However, Larry, would you hit the goddamn drums, please? Maybe like you do on SBS and NYD and did on every other tour's performances of Mysterious Ways?

He has really gone flat in this song.

Bono sounds great- he hits the "man inside a child" almost like he did on Zoo TV!

Best U2 show I've been to performance-wise, (4th show, Amsterdam 2x + Gelsenkirchen last year). Of Course nothing will beat the Amsterdam audience.
AMAZING voice from bono with crystal clear sound. I was right behind the stage and these seats beat my 150 euro Amsterdam and 170 Gelsenkirchen tickets by far. (wiiiiiide screen from the back).

Was totally suprised by NYD, loved the performance and so did the audience.I was happy that I got to hear a song that I haven't heard before.The show seems so much more perfected than last year's leg, it was just fantastic:heart:
The ending of MW was also superb, I miss the long edge solo of course but this was nice too.

The only "meh" part was In a Little While and the new song Glastonbury, everyone around was also standing a bit like "hmmmmmmmmm". Oh and bono didn't run during COBL, but that was to be expected I guess :wink:

Intro suprised to say was way better than last year, I love how all 4 of them come up during major tom.

Yesterday's show was my third 360 show (2x Amsterdam) and to be honest, this was by far the best show(band wise and audience wise). Bono's voice was crystal clear, and Larry, Adam and Edge, were fantastic and really enjoying their time on stage.

Loved the Glastonbury and especially Hold me, Kill me....and Bono's comments about his back surgery("got a made in Germany sticker on my ass...."):lol:

Cheers from Hannover!

...Bono's Lord Of The Prance around the outer stage...
:giggle: My favorite bit!

Once again, thank you Cathal for keeping us up to speed. :yes: :up: I completely adore how you write - your observations, the phrases you choose, your enthusiasm. So when's the next book being published? :love: :D

OMG!!!! What a night! Started off a little stressful, caught the S bahn and had to walk the entire stadium to get my reserved tickets, totally missed Kasbian (no great loss) but finally got them and loved where i was sittting. Cathalmc i think we may have gotten the same tickets, just i was on edges side, but an extremely amazing view of the stage and for only 41 euros! what a bargain!

Loved the interactions with the band, Bono getting right up in Adams face and making him laugh, the bit where Edge and Bono tried to touch from the bridges in UTEOTW, Bono giving each member a german car make, Bono was Mercedes Benz, Edge an audi cause he's all gadgety, Adam a BMW cause he's all class and LArry a trusty Trabant! hahahaah Larry loved that!

SO glad i heard Magnificent, and MOS was an unbelieviable ending. Also loved IALW with the guy from the space station saying the last verse, really great!

MY only 'blergh' bit is the whole desmond tutu into one into streets bit, its just slightly boring. Also they had too many slow tunes vs the faster rockier ones, would love to have seen a bit more, but Bono does need some down time now he's an old man ;)

Loved him swinging on the microphone for HMTMKMKM but ave a feeling they may drop it, although a few people including myself were loving it, most people around me sat down for it... same goes for the Glastonbury song (which i love) and the other one (who i also quite like!)

other then that, had a great night, was in Frankfurt for barely 15 hours, but so so so worth it. Can't wait for Australia!

Will pos a few pics i took, all pretty shit, had a good camera but too far away to get much detail!

Great post, Amy! (I love the excitement in everyone's 1st post after a show - before they've had time to compose themselves & come down from their U2 high.) :love:

Actually Larry got up and gave Bono a very hearty standing ovation just after Bono's Lord Of The Prance around the outer stage during that new instrumental opener.

Hah...that's great Cathal...had myself a good laugh :lol:

It was a slightly awkward dedication, I thought he'd bonovoxed himself into a corner for a second, but he got out of it eventually.

Wouldn't be a U2 show without a little bit of cringeworthy-ness, now would it?

I'm still not sure about Glastonbury yet after only two listens.

That makes two of us....I'm just not into it...at all...sounds a bit forced.

Thanks for the review Cathal...keep 'em coming and have a great time. Gosh, I'm so jealous.

Bono%20Fingers.jpg

:lol:

Amsterdam 1 & 2
Dublin 1 & 2
London 1 & 2
Sheffield
Cardiff
FRANKFURT

As I write this on my iPhone, I'm currently on a train to Hannover for my tenth show of the tour. This trip to Germany was pretty last minute, booked because I needed that Claw feeling.

We got the tram to the stadium in what I thought was plenty of time to catch Kasabian but that didn't account for the very long walk from the station to stadium. So we missed half of their set which is a bummer because they are a band I really like. Once in our seats, we find block 33L is closed (not sure if this was because of obstructed views or a non sellout) and the steward tells us to 'sit anywhere'. Of course this makes no sense when everywhere else was full so at about 20.45 we are directed to the expensive lower tier side tickets. This was a pleasant surprise but I wasn't impressed with the organisation.

I was totally not anticipating the band to come on with full house lights on (I had purposely avoided any spoilers before the show) to Stingray! I thought that was a great, ballsy intro, especially with Bono's animated movements. Beautiful Day is a great song, but it doesn't work too well as opener (I'm also a bit down on U2 opening with an old tune); I also missed the extended 'we love you' opening.

I am a big fan if NLOTH and as such I was sad to see Breathe And No Line dropped. Especially the latter, considering they are playing the similar UTEOTW, which although I adore, could be replaced. The crowd reaction to NLOTH songs was mediocre, especially GOYB, though Magnificent had a better reception. Crazy Tonight has been a highlight of the tour but it seems something has happened to it in the preceding year - it seems less funky and more rocky - which I think is a bit of a loss. I did absolutely love the Discotheque snippet though, Pop is a sorely underrated album and I hope this shows the band are considering it again. Moment of Surrender has lost something too... Where are Bono's passionate screams in this new version? At least the German crowd didn't pour to the exits in the middle like in every other city!

Glastonbury is a nice tune, it reminds me of the stones meets the beatles... Very joyous sound. Do we need to have it in addition to GOYB, Vertigo and Elevation though? I was sad to hear I missed North Star, hopefully it will appear in Hannover (I'm still pissed I managed to avoid Electrical Storm last year). Thought they could have done more with the visuals though.

Not convinced by HMTMKMKM as a replacement for UV even though I think it should definitely stay in the set. UV has a great emotional resonance and fits with WOWY (though I think my former favourite track is tired and needs resting). Maybe before Crazy Tonight would be a nice spot?

Now for my major criticisms... Why is the turgid In a Little While still being played? Where have Desire, Angel of Harlem, Stay etc gone? I actually elicited a groan when I heard the opening strains of this song. A groan almost matched when I heard the chiming guitar of Walk On, a song clearly out of it's depth as a main set closer - where is Bad? At least the masks have gone. NLOTH the song needs to return, and they should play SUC at least once if they are gonna sell those 'stand up to rock stars' badges and tees!

Miss Sarajevo is a beautiful song, but I'd prefer to see RTSS in that position (as on the Vertigo Tour). Having it follow IALW is a bathroom break guarantee though, which is a shame.

What I'd like to know is how the band can look at their back catalogue and pass over All I Want Is you, the fly, bullet the blue sky, bad, EBTTRT, RTSS, gone, electric co. I will follow, SATS and turn to IALW! hopefully songs like TTTYAATW will make an appearance, but the idea of ANOTHER tune from ATYCLB makes my head spin - at least choose Kits, New York or WILATW?

After another very long walk to the insanely crowded train station we managed to dive onto a heaving train and return to base. Plans of a drink in the Irish pub were cancelled once the concert euphoria turned into 'why do my feet feel this way'.

I'd like to thank the German crowd for a good experience, the GA section was a sight to behold during Vertigo and Streets... I hope to be part of that in HANNOVER!

And just for fun here is a semi realistic 360 setlist:
00. Stingray
01. Magnificent
02. Beautiful Day
03. Get On Your Boots
04. Mysterious Ways
05. Glastonbury
06. Until The End of The World
07. Gone
08. Staring At The Sun
09. Desire
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
12. No Line on The Horizon
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. The Fly
17. Crazy Tonight
18. Sunday Bloody Sunday
19. Bad / One
20. All I Want is You
21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Ultraviolet
23. North Star
24. Moment of Surrender

Great show, but I was so scared when Bono started to swing on that mic. I couldn't even watch :lol:

Sound was great because they left the roof open, though I've heard people complaining about poor sound quality in the stands.

I was in front of the stage at Edge's side with Anna (achtung_girl), we had a really great time, it felt so unreal seeing the boys perform again. The stadium was kind of horrible, everything badly organised, no information about entrances and such, but oh well, it all turned out to be fine in the end. Audience was great.

I had a really great and fun time in Germany with the interference people I was travelling with and also met some other ones from this forum :up:

Will link some of my pictures to PLEBA once I find the time.

Moment of Surrender was easily the highlight for me of both shows. I actually teared up in Frankfurt when it started to play. It was so emotional and Bono was so much into it. Also, loved the speeches he gave before MOS, very moving. It's such a great closer.

Beautiful Day still feels strange after the Stringray intro which is very cool. I hope they re-arrange stuff in the beginning because somehow that transition just doesn't feel right.

And just for fun here is a semi realistic 360 setlist:
00. Stingray
01. Magnificent
02. Beautiful Day
03. Get On Your Boots
04. Mysterious Ways
05. Glastonbury
06. Until The End of The World
07. Gone
08. Staring At The Sun
09. Desire
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
12. No Line on The Horizon
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. The Fly
17. Crazy Tonight
18. Sunday Bloody Sunday
19. Bad / One
20. All I Want is You
21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Ultraviolet
23. North Star
24. Moment of Surrender

I like !!! :)

I was in front of the stage at Edge's side with Anna (achtung_girl), we had a really great time, it felt so unreal seeing the boys perform again. The stadium was kind of horrible, everything badly organised, no information about entrances and such, but oh well, it all turned out to be fine in the end. Audience was great.

yeah it was awesome! :hi5:
and yes kinda unreal. since i didn't really follow what's going with the tour and everything and i was really curious. it felt different from last year, but in the end it was as awesome as ever hahaa. :D
i hope i can make it once more!!!

Back
Top Bottom