August 1, 2009 - Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loitered around outside the stadium during the show tonight, which was an altogether different kind of concert experience, and not necessarily disappointing.

There were many thousands of people all around the outside of the stadium, listening and watching from the ends where the stadium wall is quite low. People were standing or sitting on the barriers along the dual carriageway which runs alongside the stadium, climbing the traffic signs, parking their cars in the middle of the road, climbing bus stops, buildings, anywhere to get a good vantage point.

The speakers at the stage side of the pitch were a lot higher than the stadium wall so the sound was great too. At the other side of the stadium there is a little grassy hill where another large crowd sat with blankets and beer having an evening picnic whilst listening to Snow Patrol and U2.

Some people danced, many sang along, some cuddled and kissed during One and WoWY. It was all very pleasant - and free :)

I did enquire with a couple of ticket touts during the concert about ticket prices. One tout wanted 900 krona for a 700 krona ticket - seven songs into the gig! Another tout got very upset with me when I offered him 100 krona for a 600 krona tickets nine songs into the set.

The only set highlight was Electrical Storm, which I'm sure I heard Bono say was a premiere after a bit of deliberation with the band. But I think they played it in Milan?

Bono also made a long speech before ISHFWILF which I didn't catch because I was next to some lorries but I think he was talking about a party he attended till the wee small hours last night in his hotel, and which was featured in a couple of the Swedish papers today.

So not exactly a concert review, but I hope it counts as a concert experience :)

PS I got a couple of snaps of Adam as he was leaving his hotel to go the gig around 7pm. I walked past there on my way to the stadium (they're very close) and saw a small crowd gathered. Larry came out too a few minutes earlier but I pressed the OFF button on my camera by mistake! Adam gave a jolly hello to the people waiting, Larry gave a big wave and smile which the people there really appreciated.

Nice very nice. With the Dome in toronot being lcosed the roof will be clsoed so no sound will spill out. I am happy that you enjoyed yourself.

Back
Top Bottom