3 September, 2010 Olympic Stadium, Athens, Greece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will upload pics when i get back. Great show, the start of Vertigo was absolutley hilarious, it would seem someone unplugged Edges guitar:lol: The crowd reaction after WOWY was something too behold.

Lovely photos indeed! :up: My quick take on the experience:

Definitely the worst GA line experience of any show I've ever attended, and that's saying something, considering the GA experience in Raleigh NC!!! :no:

We (husband Paul/cydewaze and I) arrived at around 8am, and were numbers 60 and 61. Not bad! Of course the sun was BAKING us all day...it's a miracle we didn't pass out from sun stroke. Of course, that's no one's fault...but it contributed to an exhausting day. As for the line itself, I think (as did the people we talked to) that it was handled completely amateurishly. WHY oh WHY can't the security people just respect the fan numbering system like they did in DC and let us go in order? Or at least let people go in small groups and prevent people from rushing the line? Instead they just opened the floodgates at around 4pm (why so early I have no idea), and everyone rushed in a STAMPEDE to the gate. The guards were freaking out...I don't know what they expected, but this is how people get trampled to death at concerts! Everyone spoke a different language, and very few people understood the instructions yelled at us by the staffers (hey how about investing in a few bullhorns for starters??)

They had several false starts where we rushed from gate to gate, which just got everyone in more of a frenzy. We were in the first group (and the groups were large, several hundred people at a time which is too many, and all mixed together so that people with numbers in the upper 300s were ahead of us - very disheartening). They moved our group into a pen, and tried to hold the group back with a flimsy line of plastic tape. We were so pressed together I lost my grip on Paul, and then I literally couldn't move my arm back to the side of my body after letting go of him, we were that tightly packed. At one point I was so squeezed on all sides I felt like I was being pressed in some medieval torture device! :crazy:

After a few more false starts, we ended up waiting in these conditions for about another hour (supposedly the sound check wasn't finished so again, WHY did they start this process so early??) and then finally they started letting people in in smaller groups. After getting my ticket ripped, I was amazed that everyone was RACING to the field. And it was quite a lengthy run too. Usually at concerts they at least try to stop you and get you to walk, but no, it was a SPRINT at top speed, and survival of the fittest. It was quite funny because someone almost collided with a port-a-potty door that was opened right into the pathway of the oncoming runners! :eek:

Finally I caught up with Paul, who had a spot on the outside front rail on Edge's side...but it was quite far to the side, and how all these other people got to the center (most of whom had no numbers at all!) I have no idea. I tell you, I really am getting too old for this GA carnage! And the amount of smoke! Europeans smoke a LOT. I was amazed. The woman next to me was smoking so much my eyes were burning and streaming.

Of course, the minute U2 comes on, all was forgotten...:love:

The show itself was excellent. It was as though Bono had swallowed a whole can of jumping beans he was so full of energy. And I was able to gaze at Edge to my heart's content! :D I have been studiously avoiding reading any of the setlist stuff for this leg, so it was fun to hear I Will Follow again after a long break, and Miss Sarajevo sounded fantastic. Hold Me Thrill Me was a VERY welcome addition :drool: ...I just wish it hadn't been at the expense of Ultraviolet. :( I also missed Unknown Caller and UF. Oh well. The energy of the show and the fantastic crowd response really made for a great show overall.

It will be interesting to see how the show changes in a year's time when I go to see them in Toronto! :wave:

hey yo, indeed pretty bad GA experience - on the waiting lines...
Compared with my experience as it was at Wembley Stadium @ London last year, the staff here was crap and didn't know how to organize stuff.

In London it was SO organized, we barely ran nor got pushed.

BTW I was there in Athens Arena line in the first 150 people, had 3 colored umbrellas and spongebob + spiderman sea-mattress... if you were near or around and wanna share some stuff find me on Facebook my name is Idan Shalev (black&white profile picture)

cya

How funny! I just found you on Facebook and we were talking to you in the line! I just sent you a message. :) And yes, Wembley was much more orderly! :yes:

41130_436298523179_659358179_5002286_5114505_n.jpg

58901_436300213179_659358179_5002391_7153759_n.jpg

58559_436301823179_659358179_5002471_2936461_n.jpg

58813_436303313179_659358179_5002487_2376324_n.jpg

47940_436305648179_659358179_5002540_5661604_n.jpg

The Greeks are some of the heaviest smokers in the world, but maybe someday they'll get a clue and ban smoking inside their stadiums.

Too bad the GA line was so fucked up, but that comes as no surprise. Euro countries south and east of Austria have a different queue culture (ie. none) than that of northwest Europe, getting in line early is sometimes a wasted effort. So, if you can't beat them...

Awesome photos from Alex and mboy, really professional!

We had an amazing time as well - arriving at the stadium at 4:30 am - getting inside the gate at about 5:00am - The GA line was an absolute disaster - we had 12, 13, and 14; It was very disheartening to see people with no numbers or 300+ right by us in the mad stampede that was the GA line.

Idan - I think you let us use your mattresses for a little bit so we could put our heads down and get some rest - thank you again for being so nice!

After the mad rush we ended up being smack dab center, inner circle, on the rail. It was amazing!

Not sure how to post pics, if someone will tell me I'll upload the best from the show!

It will be interesting to see how the show changes in a year's time when I go to see them in Toronto! :wave:

I just read your blog this morning before heading off to work, so sorry to hear about your bad GA experience in Greece. Have you got GA for Toronto too? And will you be going to anyother 360 shows? Oh and thanks for your comment on my blog, I left a reply! :sexywink:

MULTICAM PROJECT

I'd like to edit a multicam for Athens as no one else stepped forward to say he/she'll do it.

This week I'll start contacting youtube ppl to ask for their videos.

If you also filmed something (preferably in HD) please contact me so we can make something great for this tremendous concert.

I already did a multicam for Frankfurt:
YouTube - U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (Frankfurt 2010) -MULTICAM DRAFT-

Back
Top Bottom