29 May 2011 - Canad Inns Stadium - Winnipeg, MB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everybody looks like they are freezing. Larry had a scarf on!:D What was the temp?

It had to be at least 8 degrees C.

I was super cold.

Oh...my conversation with Bono outside the Burton Cummings theatre.

Me - (singing) "Little brother...don't you worry bout a thing today....take the heat from the sun."
Bono - Oh, I remember you!
Me - Bono, please sign my picture, it was one of the best days of my life!
Bono - What's your name again? Mark with a K?
Me - Yup......imagine.....I travelled all the way from Toronto to Winnipeg, to HAVE YOU PLAY ON MY BIRTHDAY!
Bono - *chuckles* Are you going to the show tomorrow, Mark?
Me - Yes....and I'm coming in costume.
Bono - *looks up* - costume?
Me- the Mirrorball Man 2.0 (Achtung Baby persona Bono did during Zoo TV)
Bono - *big chuckle*

At that point, I figured I better not hog him to myself, so I didn't pursue the conversation further. There were other fans that wanted to talk to him.

Mark, great pictures and it was wonderful to meet you!

I had the time of my life. Front rail for my first GA. I will write more in a day or 2 when it has all sunk in. It still seems so surreal....

For those of you who saw the pic of the GA line, it wasn't a clusterfuck at all. We were in rows as soon as we got there. I am am about half way down the row on the left. Number 76. No pushing, everything was calm and orderly. However, the pics of the ohter lines seem really nasty!

This is a day-after review, so it might not be as thorough or as coherent as it could be.

I got in line at 8:30 A.M. and was number 152. I got a spot almost against the rail (only one person in front of me) in Edge's half of the inner circle. It was really cramped in there at first and finally evened out once the show started, but people kept leaving and coming back over and over and over again (even during Streets!) and threading through the crowd, which was really annoying. The Fray made my ears ring, but that was about it; at least they tried. :shrug:

I was so glad to get to see All I Want Is You and Stay! I actually cried a little during Stay because that has always been one of my favorite moments on the Boston Elevation DVD that I've had since I was 14 and I was actually seeing it performed live right in front of me after all this time. EBTTRT sounded fantastic and Zooropa and HMTMKMKM were highlights that I never would have dreamed that I'd ever get to see live. When WOWY was done I was thinking that it's too bad the show is almost over… and then it was over! With no MOS! That was a shock and I don't think anyone was really prepared for it to end yet because people stood around awkwardly for a little bit and it took a while for the lights to come on. I wasn't too devastated about it because it wasn't my all-time favorite song in the show, but it was a little disorienting and didn't have the same emotional sense of "closure."

One thing that stands out in my mind was how Larry seemed really cheerful and was smiling and waving to people in the crowd when he came out and sat at his drums at the beginning. He even waved in my general direction, so I waved back. :cute: During Crazy, he went to the top of the circle, held his arms out, and looked like he was saying something to the people on the outer rail. There were a couple of guys in front of him who looked surprised and a little scared and had expressions on their faces like Why is Larry yelling at me? :ohmy: He must have felt like messing with them. :lol:

I have to mention all the really nice and wonderful people I met in the GA line and stood in the inner circle with. You are all amazing! I came and lined up all alone and ended up in small posse of new friends. And I have to give a special shout out to Greg who offered to take care of my chair so I wouldn't have to throw it away at 3:00 and then brought it to my hotel today. How nice is that! U2 fans are the best. You will not find a nicer, more polite, or more organized bunch of people at a rock concert than all those people I met yesterday and stood around with for 16 hours. :hug:

Actually, people in general are really nice in Winnipeg. A random guy at the bus stop helped us to figure out where we should get off the bus after the show and another guy today saw us looking at a pay-parking box and pulled over to give us his ticket that still had some time left on it. That worked out really well, because the place we were trying to get to was closed anyway, so we would have wasted money on a parking space for nothing. It really helps when you're in a new place and feel really dumb because you don't know where things are or how things work and total strangers out of nowhere do really nice things to help you out. :heart:

Pictures coming soon, but I need to sort through them and get them all spiffy first.

Wine-Peg! :lol:

Here is my review, a by the numbers account. I am still on a high.....

Suit of Lights: One fans recap of the U2 concert in Winnipeg

U2 made their triumphant return to Winnipeg after a 14 year absence on may 29. Despite frigid temperatures, band and fans rocked hard enough for to create enough heat to warm what the U2 screen called "the state of Manitoba". They hit the stage just after 9.00 to the siren calling of "Even Better than The Real Thing". Followed by the classic, "I Will Follow" and complimented by their latest up-tempo, "Get on your Boots". After that was "Stay" which Bono referred to as a track they wrote in Berlin and was initially called "Sinatra". The band then paid to homage to Winnipeg hometown rockers Neil Young and Randy Bachman with versions of "Old Man" and "You Ain't Seen Nothing yet". The BTO was track also recited by two female fans who led the intro into the U2 classic "Beautiful Day".

"All I Want is You" saw the Bono and the Edge give their guitar tech Dallas Schoo the humiliating adage of being 'new on the team' after a string was out of tune. It was an uncommon mistake for the veteran tech and needless to say he got the message. 'Zooropa' saw the band behind their 'chip sack' stage design with only flickering light jackets save them from being lost to the crowd. The continued to fight the unrelenting cold with high tempo numbers, 'Crazy Tonite' and 'Discotheque'. With scarves and mittens in hand they roared into "Hold Me. Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' and finished with 'With or Without You'. For some reason the lyrics of the batman track really resonated with me last night to create new understandings. Bono and company bid adieu to "Vine Pig' as the city was affectionately known to them. In the wake of the light sand the noise, U2 left a city rocked and energetic. Denver Christian rockers, The Fray, played a poppy, safe version of their FM Christian radio hits which included 'How to Save a Life.'

Rachel, I was #76! too bad we didn't meet!:sad:

Big props to Edgefest for her feed. I talked to her after the show and she was trending on twitter. :up: I met so many great people there, and I am so glad I will run into everyone at other shows in the next few months!:hyper:

My home town show was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. :drool:

The jets flying over the stadium before the show was surreal. It combined with the Claw made being in the stadium like being in a Transformers movie and it turned the crowd into a bunch of little awestruck kids for a moment.

And despite how much I was complaining about it last night, the cold really made the show unique. People were moving and into the show for the warmth at times and I was blown away when my notoriously cynical and hard-to-impress city crowd sang along with my absolute favourite song All I Want is You. When the crowd lifted their lit cellphones screen towards the stage, it was like a winter sky and absolutely beautiful. I've been to three different U2 shows (Vancouver and both Sydneys) but this one was really special. But I'm biased because it was my hometown.

The special bits of the show for me were the AIWIY/Stay sections, the bit where Bono brought the girls up on stage to read the "serious" poem that ended up being You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, the Heart of Gold snippets, and DISCOTHEQUE/PLEASE snippets during Crazy.

And I swear my cold hands were about to shatter when everyone clapped during Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Don't wait another 14 years to come back, u2! :hyper:

2cijh3.jpg

332s41k.jpg

2jecvvp.jpg

Pics from Red Zone 2

^This pic is awesome!! My photos are uploading now, I'll post them tomorrow.

When WOWY was done I was thinking that it's too bad the show is almost over… and then it was over! With no MOS! That was a shock and I don't think anyone was really prepared for it to end yet because people stood around awkwardly for a little bit and it took a while for the lights to come on. I wasn't too devastated about it because it wasn't my all-time favorite song in the show, but it was a little disorienting and didn't have the same emotional sense of "closure."

I was waiting for Moment Of Surrender too! Weren't they sound-checking it earlier in the day too, if I'm not mistaken?

I think I saw you in line; I was #171. I was too shy to come over and say hi though. :doh:

Glad you enjoyed the show though!

Rachel, I was #76! too bad we didn't meet!:sad:

I figured that you and some other Interference people were probably up there somewhere towards the front of the line, but I would have felt weird going around asking "Are you from Interference? How about you?" :lol:

I was waiting for Moment Of Surrender too! Weren't they sound-checking it earlier in the day too, if I'm not mistaken?

I think I saw you in line; I was #171. I was too shy to come over and say hi though. :doh:

Glad you enjoyed the show though!

I don't remember if they sound-checked MOS, but I do remember hearing The Fly in the afternoon and I had a glimmer of hope that they might play it.

I remembered that you said you were going to wear a War shirt (I think), so I was kinda keeping an eye out for you, but I don't think I saw you. I was being shy, too. :reject:

Mark that is so fucking cool that he remembers you. You are definitely the coolest person on this forum.

Awwww....

I wouldn't say coolest. I'm just willing to take risks. Trust me...I had to give my head a shake about putting on the costume a few times. Then just convinced myself that it is all in fun.....

He remembers me because we spoke the night before.

I think some guy frm the band Parliement was there, but it might have been Mark Baker!

Someone did suggest I look like I'm from the band Parliament. Hilarious.

Thanks, I am really happy with how they turned out, I ended up with quite a lot of awesome shots, now I have to decide which ones I will frame and hang up :)

Chris

I actually liked that it was light for the first few songs. My pics from then are better than the ones when it was dark.

What a show! My first U2 show and nearly made it to the front row (3 people back). It would have been nice to see the claw from afar, but I figured I'd try to get as close to the band as I could. They may not be back for another 14 years, or ever!

Anywho, here are some highlights from the photos I took:

DSCF1405.jpg

DSCF1556.jpg

DSCF1606.jpg

Back
Top Bottom