26 September, 2010 Estadio Anoeta San Sebastian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A cracking, if slow boiling, show last night in San Sebastian with some planned, and unplanned, twists.

San Sebastian is an utterly gorgeous town in the Basque country, blessed with a glorious beach to the north, and lush-looking forested mountains around it. Whilst not an obvious place for a stadium gig, it's one of the most picturesque places.

I was up in the cheapie seats directly behind, but pretty damn close to, the stage. Compared to Brussels 1 where people in both of the huge tiers of seats behind the stage were standing for the whole show, the people in the much smaller stands here were selective, and stayed sitting for much of the show; but they were still singing, and clapping, whilst doing a curious sitting dance.

But I really enjoyed having a (loosely) kind of band-eye view of the pit and the field. And some of the views are amazing, especially the jumping and fist-pumping for I Will Follow, the arm-waving for Mysterious Ways, and the pogoing for Elevation.

However, whilst everyone on the field went wild during the songs, the atmosphere and noise during the first half of the show often took a fairly sudden dip between songs. It wasn't until after Streets that the whole place really maintained a communal roar with a happy chant of "Olé! Olé! Olé! Olé!" so Bono kicked out at an imaginary football. (Unfortunately Larry didn't start singing Put Em Under Pressue, the Irish World Cup song he co-wrote in 1990, that uses the Olé chant.)

There was even a muted response to Bono's speech before ISHFWILF when he congratulated Spain on winning the World Cup. San Sebastian is in the Basque country, which has a strong movement for independence from Spain. So I deduced a conspiracy theory that either the crowd didn't understand what Bono had said, or they were all fervent Basque nationalists who didn't cheer for Spain. Another factor was probably the terrible translations on the video screen.

I'm actually getting pampered in Pamplona, about an hour from San Sebastian, by my Spanish friend Javi, a recent convert to the U2 obsession. Javi had asked me before the concert if there would be translations of Bono's speeches and crowd interactions into Spanish. I told him they would be as they have been at every other show I've seen this summer except Brussels. (Javi speaks excellent English but none of his many friends or family who also came to the gig speak more than the basics.)

I've been learning a bit of Spanish for the last few years and when I first saw the translations before ISHFWILF I thought it was in Basque. Then I thought it was some kind of abbreviated SMS Spanish. I later realised the interpreter was just an appalling typist. It was like they were typing whilst wearing goalkeeper gloves.

Before MLK, the interpreter actually typed in English what Bono was saying to start with, before they remembered they were supposed to translate it. When it was translated, most of the fans around me were laughing at the mangled Spanish being produced. And obviously MLK isn't supposed to be a comedy number.

Javi told me after that many Basques probably wouldn't have cheered for Spain in the World Cup, and that many of the Spanish people who were at the show may have felt a little bit uncomfortable about showing too much enthusiasm for being Spanish in San Sebastian.

The big highlights for me were Magnificent, Spanish Eyes, Mercy and Vertigo (Bono jokingly offered the crowd some Spanish lessons.) Magnificent is still one of my fav songs of the show. The pounding bass elements and Edge's organy guitar line are pure fabness. (I'd love it if a hard trance DJ could take these to make a whomping club track.)

Spanish Eyes was a great surprise, and took me a few seconds to recognise, although many of the people around people clicked immediately what it was and gave a big cheer. It was rough, raw and bloomin brilliant. I sooo hope they keep bringing back old gems like this.

The temperature kept rising during all the big classics from City Of Blinding Lights onwards. I didn't think neither Hold Me, Thrill Me nor With Or Without You had their best performances but they kept the fiesta vibe going from the Olés at the end of Streets.

There was one odd moment during Moment of Surrender when some bizarre voice said something strange through the sound system, which I couldn't make out. I noticed Larry looking around like he was thinking "Wtf was that?" but everyone kept on playing and it wasn't heard again.

The crowd in the seats around me were all staying on their feet and roaring their approval by the end. And all Javi's friends and family have been raving about the show with wonderful infectious enthusiasm since.

A cracking, if slow boiling, show last night in San
There was even a muted response to Bono's speech before ISHFWILF when he congratulated Spain on winning the World Cup. San Sebastian is in the Basque country, which has a strong movement for independence from Spain. So I deduced a conspiracy theory that either the crowd didn't understand what Bono had said, or they were all fervent Basque nationalists who didn't cheer for Spain. Another factor was probably the terrible translations on the video screen.

Yep it was a very muted response wasn't it. I had friends who were in San Seb during the world cup final and they thought hell yeah this will be frickin awesome but celebrations were very quiet if non existant, the Basque people are apparently trying to become independent from the rest of Spain.

@ Cathalmc

I`ve written the text for you experiences in Donostia superb again.
I`ve seen a very good show there with a very special birthday surprise, called Spanish eyes :applaud:. What a moment, as I heard the first chords I was in the mood to enter the catwalk. But I`ve avoid it and decide to get tears in my eyes and decide to jump at the catwalk fence and to give all my power to my favourite band.
An extraordinary eve with an special entertainment for the residents into the tower behind the stadium.

btw. You`re in the newspaper "El diario vasco" from yesterday with text and picture. If you like, I can send you an copy pic from the article.

Hola e Buenos diaz

Gracias Eastfly! A Spanish friend sent me a link to the story. El pelirrojo McCarron :)

You`re welcome!
I`ve seen you often during this tour, of course during your walks at the "frontline".
Maybe in Rome I`d like to have a smalltalk to you when you arrive the GA queuing line. I hope, something like that will be organized in Rome.

bye

I`ve seen a very good show there with a very special birthday surprise, called Spanish eyes :applaud:. What a moment, as I heard the first chords I was in the mood to enter the catwalk. But I`ve avoid it and decide to get tears in my eyes and decide to jump at the catwalk fence and to give all my power to my favourite band.

Your jumping was quite well. :)
I think the show was a wonderful birthday present for you. Glad you enjoyed it. The view from the catwalk was quite spectacular.

Your jumping was quite well. :)
I think the show was a wonderful birthday present for you. Glad you enjoyed it. The view from the catwalk was quite spectacular.

My legs were quite exhausted after jumping, but them fit for Rome now, lol.

To see U2 on my birthday, this was a very big excitement after the announcement of the show and I was very glad until the date. And the view from the outside catwalk fence is always spectacular. I had enjoyed it last year in Wembley2 and Helsinki1, but the sound from the subwoofers under the catwalk in Helsinki was very strong for my ears, the San Sebastian experience was better than before.
Now, I`ve to decide for Rome and it`ll be the run into the FOS area, so my mates this like:hyper:.

bye and so many greets to Holland, Frank

Back
Top Bottom