18 July 2009 Olympic Stadium Berlin DE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably the best show of the tour, so far.

People who've seen every show told me that.

I was literally talked into going to this concert. Having seen them in Milan the other week, I was still a little fatigued, and with Cardiff still ahead, I thought I could do my wallet a little favour and just stay in, since the forecast was for heavy rain and thunderstorm.

But man was I glad, I went. I didn't have a ticket, but was able to get one GA in front of the stadium for 20 quid. Nice one! I was able to make it to the FOS.

The lads were in TOP mode!

Three guys were picked from the audience to play Angel of Harlem. One got to play Bono's Gretsch, the other one Adam's bass guitar, while Adam had a sip from his mug, grinning like only Adam can do, and the third one got to play Larry's drums...Can you believe that!!!!!!? Watch out for the pics to show up.

Bono was trying to make a Kennedy speach, going "ick bin ein..." but couldn't finish the sentence, because he just burst out laughing.

Splendid night!

I didn't have a ticket, but was able to get one GA in front of the stadium for 20 quid. Nice one! I was able to make it to the FOS.

beh! I will never ever buy a ticket for the stands. Seriously I nearly cried because you guys had so much fun and I was standing there with those lame people! :scream: :lol:

Yes it was amazing show and never forget it. The guys on stage during Angel of Harlem are from Czech republic, before the show they told me they want to try get on stage and play Angel of Harlem. And I did not believe it could happen... :up:

Bonos voice was the best on this tour I think and Stay was unbelievable. Great great show :applaud:

wow!

What an amazing show! So many highlights - the band was in amazing form - and Bono was truly on the top of his game. He so connected with the audience - and his voice ... oh boy, his voice. I can't remember his voice has been so great. Wow.

A few highlights of the show - seen from forth row inner circle to the right :-D:

Get On Your Boots: It really, really rocked - much better than the album version!
Mysterious Ways - oh those AB-days - I was about to faint!
ISHFWILF: A choir of 90.000 people - soooo amazing.
Unknown Caller: Again far better than the album version - Bono was so happy and joking around.:D
The Unforgettable Fire: Incredible version - those drums just blows you away.
Vertigo: The stadium SWAYED! :heart:
I'll Go Crazy - remix: I just couldn't believe it - I had the time of my life! A techno-party with Bono's unbelievable good voice on top of it all ... wow! :hyper:
SBS: They just really nailed this one!
MLK: A little Irish lullaby - so sweet - and Bono's voice - so much in control :-D.
Ultraviolet: Thought I would faint - my goodness, this version was so strong... And Bono's jacket - magic. :applaud:
Moment of Surrender: Absolutely heartbreaking - and Bono felt on his knees just on front of me - it was almost too much.:sad:

:love:

What an incredible night it was... electricity buzzing in the air, one could feel that this city is really special for the band. The whole audience was in top form too and the connection between the two was touchable. So glad we made it to the FOS, had an awesome spot - Bono was looking directly my way when he knelt down in front of me for Moment of surrender. Shiver shiver!
Stay is my top favourite song and the reason I and my friends chose going to Berlin for this tour was mainly because of my love for its music video. Stay is so precious for me in every imaginable ways. And to hear the song live at last... wow, I still think I was just dreaming it! I wasn't hoping they would play it as I don't like having hopeless dreams.. but after all, as some song says :lol:, you can dream, so dream out loud :hyper: :applaud:

I'm still left speechless on it. Except for the over crowdedness in the ring and stupid people thinking they could force their way back to the center it was perfect. Hopefully we will get a good dvd of that concert.

I'm still left speechless on it. Except for the over crowdedness in the ring and stupid people thinking they could force their way back to the center it was perfect. Hopefully we will get a good dvd of that concert.

Really? The FOS was crowded? I didn't even notice :whistle:

:wink:

Seriously, it was tough. They let too many people in, which I think it slightly irresponsible, security-wise. You couldn't move, you couldn't even go to the back to get some space or air, and don't remind me of these stupid people constantly trying to push their way in and out of the circle. I have an advice for everyone inside the inner circle: Don't drink so much beer. It has a couple of positive effects: 1. You don't get drunk and aren't being a constant annoyance to other people there 2. You don't have to to to the toilet every fucking 20 minutes. I couldn't believe people were seriously thinking they'll get their spot back if they left and came back in again :doh: So much rudeness and aggressiveness .... I don't think I've experienced something like this at a concert, ever. I also heard there were a lot of drunk people in front of the stage. Great. I'll never understand how you can go to a concert and then get drunk. Good way to spoil the fun for you and everyone else around you. People were constantly spilling beer over me because they couldn't get past us with approximately 10 cups of beer in their hands. It was really wild.

On the other, the positive side: Fantastic concert. I actually teared up when they played Stay. And oh my Bono ... What. A. Voice. Incredible. He was on the bridge directly above us during Ultra Violet. Angel Of Harlem was also really nice with the guys they got up on stage to perform.

Next day I woke up with strained neck muscles because I looked at the screen so much. Visuals and lights aren't really great when you're in the inner circle, you don't see much of it. Also, the band made much more use of the whole stage, also the backside, and the bridges and catwalk when we were in Milan.

But they were in very good mood, a lot of smiles, Bono seemed very relaxed and genuinely touched by the audience.

Apart from the inner circle disaster, all was pretty well organised and I was actually surprised how quickly and well we got out of the stadium and into the trains. I bought a t-shirt, poster and tourbook after the concert.

Weather was also ok, despite all the bad forecasts. It only rained a little bit at times and I was actually quite glad about that because the heat was even worse.

Btw, does anyone know what happened to the other entrance, because apparently there were people lining up at the east entrance of the stadium as well, but only a couple of them. Was anyone here at that entrance? When did those gates open?

Ours was the east entrance, the empty one was on the south. I guess it just wasn't as attractive as you have to walk a great distance til you get inside.

I still don't get why people need to drink, especially as much as to get drunk, at a concert. In Amsterdam it was the same. Some were so drunk even hours before people were let in they couldn't walk straight. Is it impossible to have a good time and enjoy something without being drunk as shit?

I'm really sorry you had such a bad location Anna. No ne deserves that.

I didn't mind that where we were you couldn't see much of the effects. I was starring at the band and enjozing the music anyways. Now here in Amsterdam with seats on the opposite side I again missed much of the light show because I didn't pay attention to it.

Really? How could you not pay attention to the light show, I mean, it's quite difficult to ignore, isn't it? :D

I agree about the drinking. I mean with beer prices like that, I'd rather spend my money on other stuff ... like t-shirts and tourbooks.

Thanks about correcting me about the entrances ... again. I always confuse them. It's logical that we were at the east entrance since the stage was situated at the west side of the stadium and we ran straight to it. But logics isn't always my strength :lol:

I get easily confused by directions either.

I paid 4€ for a coke and a beer wasn't cheaper. They must have paid 30 or 40 bucks for getting drunk.

I sometimes watched at the screen or the lights but then turned my head down again to see the band play. Also, that way I can take in the music better.

I've never really like Crazy Tonight on the album, but this live version really stands out for me.

My location wasn't 'bad', Leif. I was just a bit confused that no one really cared when they got on stage LOL. I guess the new stuff isn't familiar to the non U2 fans. Obviously I was in the middle of those people.
The live version of Crazy Tonight is an infinite loop on my mp3-player.:lol::reject:

I still don't get why people need to drink, especially as much as to get drunk, at a concert. In Amsterdam it was the same. Some were so drunk even hours before people were let in they couldn't walk straight. Is it impossible to have a good time and enjoy something without being drunk as shit?

This is such a major pet peeve of mine. I can never fathom why one needs to get drunk before/during a concert or sporting event. Save it for when you're bored and need to liven up your evening, not for when you're about to take in a show or a game. At Paris 2, I saw at least 5 people who needed medical treatment because they were out on their feet from drinking. Unreal.

I haven't seen U2 in Ireland for twenty years so maybe it's different now, but I'm expecting to see a lot of drunkeness on Friday ...

To each his own I guess. I could never imagine spending so much money on tickets only to get drunk on overpriced, watered-down beer and stuff.

:wink: ok some crappy pics from sat.

3745016457_9b317cf273.jpg

3745020043_82b946ecd9.jpg

3745019673_7f013560d5.jpg

They are good. Not blurry as mine.
Reminds me, have to sort them through and upload the good ones.

OK, here is an album of my cellphone pics:
U2 Berlin pictures by Vincent_Vega85 - Photobucket

Looked at the Amsterdam pictures. Will upload them, but quality isn't great. Need to find out which settings to use.
I'm amazed how clear and sharp yours are, Anna. Just look at the text during Unknown Caller. Nothing blurred. No need to be critical, honestly. :)

Back
Top Bottom