Zooropa Discussion (AKA We're Gonna Tweet Out Loud)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tweet from Matt:

So there was ZOOROPA. All 4 in the dark with screen fully extended and simple animation. Audience reception was 1/10.

And that's from São Paulo, of all places - home of the best U2 crowds on the face of the earth. My money is on this song being YBR'd - let's enjoy it while we can. People who have tickets to the Mexico shows and early US shows will be lucky.

Tweet from Matt:

So there was ZOOROPA. All 4 in the dark with screen fully extended and simple animation. Audience reception was 1/10.

And that's from São Paulo, of all places - home of the best U2 crowds on the face of the earth. My money is on this song being YBR'd - let's enjoy it while we can. People who have tickets to the Mexico shows and early US shows will be lucky.

Very sad, but not surprising.

Tweet from Matt:

I'm getting worried now, hope it won't get YBR'd. It's not a mood-killer or bathroom break, at least. I think the reception might be better in Mexico and the States. That's my opinion, though.

WHAT MAY HAVE KILLED the reception was that the band was in the dark though.

Really surprised it didn't get a better reception, especially as that Sao Paulo crowd seemed to be going OFF.

Bet it'll get played at Mexico 2 and/or 3, Anaheim 2, and that'll be about it. Maybe they'll try the "short" version and persevere for a bit, but this looks ominous for getting Your Blue Roomed. :(

Hoping for the best though. And even if it does die, maybe they'll give it another shot in arenas whenever they tour in that setting next, where with the right production it could be absolutely mesmerising.

garciaricky0019 said:
Willie Williams will surely work his magic for Zooropa!!!

He has just started with it!!! I/M/H/O he should flood the whole audience with psychedelic lighting, in addition, to the psychedelic video screen display!!!!

...Put us all in a TRANCE!!!
hyper.gif
hyper.gif
hyper.gif

^This AGAIN!!! ...Willie's magic would change the crowd's response!!! That's for sure!!! :heart: Zooropa!!! 10/10

Edit: Can't only rely on TUF production/lighting, ...the audience needs to be integrated in this one!! A Must!!!

Really surprised it didn't get a better reception, especially as that Sao Paulo crowd seemed to be going OFF.

Bet it'll get played at Mexico 2 and/or 3, Anaheim 2, and that'll be about it. Maybe they'll try the "short" version and persevere for a bit, but this looks ominous for getting Your Blue Roomed. :(

Hoping for the best though. And even if it does die, maybe they'll give it another shot in arenas whenever they tour in that setting next, where with the right production it could be absolutely mesmerising.

I bet they'll pull it out for a couple of US shows before Anaheim, in markets less favorable than Los Angeles, and that's where it'll fail. I'm not sure how well it would go over in Denver or SLC or Winnipeg or Edmonton. And then they might resurrect it for Anaheim.

Long live ZOOROPA. For a 1993 song [that was never a single] to be a trending topic on twitter is amazing. Hope they realize it.

I really wish they'd play it in SLC, but I think I'd be the only one SCREAMING MY HEAD OFF FOR IT....

....and I'm in the stands so no one would hear me :sad:

How come all the best U2 songs:

Zooropa, Unforgettable Fire, Electrical Storm, and Your Blue Room (all masterpieces IMO) are the ones the general audience dont appreciate:sad:

It must be hard for U2 walking a tightrope between their general reactions at large and their hardcore fan base.

There's more casual fans than ever on this tour. And by casual I mean "U2 are playing Thursday, we've got nothing on, that Don't Forget About Me song is pretty good, why not go?"

zooropop40 said:
It must be hard for U2 walking a tightrope between their general reactions at large and their hardcore fan base.

Except they unceasingly fall into the general reaction pit. The fact that they essentially pulled this out of their ass with hardly any rehearsal proves they could throw us a bone like this more often than once every 18 years. Songs like Surrender, Tomorrow and Wire could be whipped up with minimal rehearsal while retaining the other 20 crowd-pleasers.

Except they unceasingly fall into the general reaction pit. The fact that they essentially pulled this out of their ass with hardly any rehearsal proves they could throw us a bone like this more often than once every 18 years. Songs like Surrender, Tomorrow and Wire could be whipped up with minimal rehearsal while retaining the other 20 crowd-pleasers.

Exactly!

It's not an and/or thing!!

They can pull enough out of the back catalog(and they should be now that they're not releasing anything new anytime soon) and rotate it in without kicking the Beautiful Day's and New Year's Days and Streets and WOWY's, etc out of the set.

I love Zooropa but I didn't expect it to get an insanely exuberant reaction, much less having to follow the absolute plodding dung that is Miss S. That could kill Streets buzz if they tried it.

It's not really the type of song that makes you picture an entire stadium of people all screaming and pumping their fists, casual fans or not. It's just a fucking awesome song. I'm cool with that.

There's more casual fans than ever on this tour. And by casual I mean "U2 are playing Thursday, we've got nothing on, that Don't Forget About Me song is pretty good, why not go?"
yep. i mean it's to be expected since these stadiums > arenas in terms of size, but i hope the band either realises: 1. they need to play shit they like, and if they decided to pull this one out of the vault i assume they like playing it; 2. the megafans need to have a couple bones thrown at us throughout each show. we're the ones who give them their fortune, not the new casual fans who downloaded a couple songs off a torrent and bought one ga ticket.

though i feel silly moaning this early. trust me, my main emotion is OMG THEY PLAYED ZOOROPA HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

I love Zooropa but I didn't expect it to get an insanely exuberant reaction, much less having to follow the absolute plodding dung that is Miss S. That could kill Streets buzz if they tried it.
good point, bovine lover. what would be amazing is if they did a one-two punch like zooropa into hmtmkmkm or something. the set needs a 90s miniset.

What a dream come true, and it sounds fucking brilliant. The whole claw does need to be lit up for the song, though, not just the screen, IMHO. That might help with the audience reaction too. But so far so good!

Please, U2, dont get cold feet with this one, please!!! This awesome song deserves to be a staple.

As I said in the youtube thread, "Shame you can't SEE the band. I really hope they decide to embrace the song because it could have some epic graphics to go along with it, and God, it just fits the mood SO much better.

I'm not going to complain about them dropping the second verse, but I hope they'll eventually add it back in."

Back
Top Bottom