Zane Lowe interview, bono mentioned setlists...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
And how people "online" get to know them very quicky, and it takes the suprise way, says they will "have to have a look at that and change the set around more",

very interesting comment.

I honestly think Bono would be happy to change the setlists around. I think Bono would be willing to sing ANY song the band have put out. I think Bono would be happy to release a record every year. Bono is an eternal optimist, and I think he doesn't see things in terms of limitations, but in terms of possibilities.

However, a sound crew/video crew/lighting crew need to have a setlist to run their cues by. Especially in a complicated stadium show. That's why Zoo TV and Popmart had the same setlist nearly every night with very little differientiation.

However, a sound crew/video crew/lighting crew need to have a setlist to run their cues by. Especially in a complicated stadium show. That's why Zoo TV and Popmart had the same setlist nearly every night with very little differientiation.

This is a piss-poor excuse for static setlists. It just doesn't hold up. Look at Phish, a band able to play wildly varied setlists and extended improvised jams to audiences of 60,000, 80,000+ people - their crew coped. U2 are a piece of cake in comparison to that. They aren't a jam band and the lighting and other sequences for each song are (in most cases) self-contained, i.e. they don't depend on any segues into other tracks. It should make absolutely no difference to U2's crew if they're doing their sequences for The Fly as the second song of the main set, last song of the main set, or opening song of the encore. It's the same either way. As long as the band get that night's printed setlist to the crew before they go on stage, shuffling the song order each night makes little difference.

Yeah, most of the reason for static setlists is because Bono hates rehearsing.

This is a piss-poor excuse for static setlists. It just doesn't hold up. Look at Phish, a band able to play wildly varied setlists and extended improvised jams to audiences of 60,000, 80,000+ people - their crew coped. U2 are a piece of cake in comparison to that. They aren't a jam band and the lighting and other sequences for each song are (in most cases) self-contained, i.e. they don't depend on any segues into other tracks. It should make absolutely no difference to U2's crew if they're doing their sequences for The Fly as the second song of the main set, last song of the main set, or opening song of the encore. It's the same either way. As long as the band get that night's printed setlist to the crew before they go on stage, shuffling the song order each night makes little difference.

Amen! That's the truth. The argument that says U2 can't vary setlists due to their 'complex' staging is rubbish. U2 had fixed setlists back in 1985 when the stage set up was basic. It is their way, their preference. Makes the Love Town tour even more special when you look at its setlists. Would love to see them do that again. Would make me follow setlist parties even from Australia where the time zone isn't always favourable.

It's more to do with the flow/narrative of the show.

If the last (two) tours are anything to go by, they'll contiune bringing back the oldies.

I would give anything to see U2 changing the set a lot, but I don't see it happening. The flow/narrative of the show can be done in different ways, so I don't consider that a valid excuse.

Bono did talk about "variable setlists" on the Vertigo Tour, which was cool by U2's standards (if we count out the European leg), but still, they have the potential to do so much more.

Bono did talk about "variable setlists" on the Vertigo Tour, which was cool by U2's standards (if we count out the European leg), but still, they have the potential to do so much more.

Hm... maybe Vertigo x2 was the 'answer' the band came up with. Hell, take that idea further... pick one song a night and play it 22 times. Then the setlist would be different every night.

The flow/narrative of the show can be done in different ways, so I don't consider that a valid excuse.

Seems to work for the band.

And it's certainly more plausible than "Bono hates rehearsals" or "high tech show = static setlists".

i think the comment that stood out the most for me was willie williams one time stating that a big part of the reason for the relatively static setlists was that most people only see one U2 show a tour, and as a result it's important for that show to be the best it can be. and that does not mean including acrobat, mofo, or exit just so that a small percentage of fans on the interference boards can be satisfied.

the reality is that, sure, we get tired of seeing the same 30 songs rotated in and out, but the other 99% of people at those shows have no idea what song is coming up next.

Looking forward to seeing what "have to have a look at that and change the set around more" might mean.

Not holding out too much hope for varied setlists because of those factors already mentioned (rehearsing, forgetting lyrics).

But I'd love to come out of a U2 show thinking, 'wow, playing that song took me completely by surprise'.

Looking forward to seeing what "have to have a look at that and change the set around more" might mean.

Not holding out too much hope for varied setlists because of those factors already mentioned (rehearsing, forgetting lyrics).

But I'd love to come out of a U2 show thinking, 'wow, playing that song took me completely by surprise'.
Maybe you should steer clear of the set list threads,then you would get a surprise when you see them live :D

Back
Top Bottom