Zane Lowe interview, bono mentioned setlists... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,360
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Zane Lowe interview, bono mentioned setlists...

And how people "online" get to know them very quicky, and it takes the suprise way, says they will "have to have a look at that and change the set around more",

very interesting comment.
__________________

KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 12:55 AM
I honestly think Bono would be happy to change the setlists around. I think Bono would be willing to sing ANY song the band have put out. I think Bono would be happy to release a record every year. Bono is an eternal optimist, and I think he doesn't see things in terms of limitations, but in terms of possibilities.

However, a sound crew/video crew/lighting crew need to have a setlist to run their cues by. Especially in a complicated stadium show. That's why Zoo TV and Popmart had the same setlist nearly every night with very little differientiation.
__________________

The_acrobat is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
However, a sound crew/video crew/lighting crew need to have a setlist to run their cues by. Especially in a complicated stadium show. That's why Zoo TV and Popmart had the same setlist nearly every night with very little differientiation.
This is a piss-poor excuse for static setlists. It just doesn't hold up. Look at Phish, a band able to play wildly varied setlists and extended improvised jams to audiences of 60,000, 80,000+ people - their crew coped. U2 are a piece of cake in comparison to that. They aren't a jam band and the lighting and other sequences for each song are (in most cases) self-contained, i.e. they don't depend on any segues into other tracks. It should make absolutely no difference to U2's crew if they're doing their sequences for The Fly as the second song of the main set, last song of the main set, or opening song of the encore. It's the same either way. As long as the band get that night's printed setlist to the crew before they go on stage, shuffling the song order each night makes little difference.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:55 PM
Yeah, most of the reason for static setlists is because Bono hates rehearsing.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
New Yorker
 
MooMoo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MUTANT SPIDER THING. D=<
Posts: 3,090
Local Time: 01:55 AM
They control it with a playstation control dont they?

If I can play Tomb Raider they should manage it.
MooMoo! is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Yeah, most of the reason for static setlists is because Bono hates rehearsing.
And because he can't remember the lyrics, even with a teleprompter.
BonoIsMyMuse is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,130
Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This is a piss-poor excuse for static setlists. It just doesn't hold up. Look at Phish, a band able to play wildly varied setlists and extended improvised jams to audiences of 60,000, 80,000+ people - their crew coped. U2 are a piece of cake in comparison to that. They aren't a jam band and the lighting and other sequences for each song are (in most cases) self-contained, i.e. they don't depend on any segues into other tracks. It should make absolutely no difference to U2's crew if they're doing their sequences for The Fly as the second song of the main set, last song of the main set, or opening song of the encore. It's the same either way. As long as the band get that night's printed setlist to the crew before they go on stage, shuffling the song order each night makes little difference.
Amen! That's the truth. The argument that says U2 can't vary setlists due to their 'complex' staging is rubbish. U2 had fixed setlists back in 1985 when the stage set up was basic. It is their way, their preference. Makes the Love Town tour even more special when you look at its setlists. Would love to see them do that again. Would make me follow setlist parties even from Australia where the time zone isn't always favourable.
AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 02:55 AM
It's more to do with the flow/narrative of the show.

If the last (two) tours are anything to go by, they'll contiune bringing back the oldies.
U2girl is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
djerdap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,497
Local Time: 12:55 AM
I would give anything to see U2 changing the set a lot, but I don't see it happening. The flow/narrative of the show can be done in different ways, so I don't consider that a valid excuse.

Bono did talk about "variable setlists" on the Vertigo Tour, which was cool by U2's standards (if we count out the European leg), but still, they have the potential to do so much more.
djerdap is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
djerdap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,497
Local Time: 12:55 AM
double post
djerdap is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,130
Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Bono did talk about "variable setlists" on the Vertigo Tour, which was cool by U2's standards (if we count out the European leg), but still, they have the potential to do so much more.
Hm... maybe Vertigo x2 was the 'answer' the band came up with. Hell, take that idea further... pick one song a night and play it 22 times. Then the setlist would be different every night.
AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
The flow/narrative of the show can be done in different ways, so I don't consider that a valid excuse.
Seems to work for the band.

And it's certainly more plausible than "Bono hates rehearsals" or "high tech show = static setlists".
U2girl is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, Texas, USA
Posts: 230
Local Time: 07:55 PM
i think the comment that stood out the most for me was willie williams one time stating that a big part of the reason for the relatively static setlists was that most people only see one U2 show a tour, and as a result it's important for that show to be the best it can be. and that does not mean including acrobat, mofo, or exit just so that a small percentage of fans on the interference boards can be satisfied.

the reality is that, sure, we get tired of seeing the same 30 songs rotated in and out, but the other 99% of people at those shows have no idea what song is coming up next.
James U2 is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Refugee
 
adrball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nightclub in Tripoli
Posts: 1,733
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Looking forward to seeing what "have to have a look at that and change the set around more" might mean.

Not holding out too much hope for varied setlists because of those factors already mentioned (rehearsing, forgetting lyrics).

But I'd love to come out of a U2 show thinking, 'wow, playing that song took me completely by surprise'.
adrball is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
Acrobat
 
the edges plec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southport UK
Posts: 407
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrball View Post
Looking forward to seeing what "have to have a look at that and change the set around more" might mean.

Not holding out too much hope for varied setlists because of those factors already mentioned (rehearsing, forgetting lyrics).

But I'd love to come out of a U2 show thinking, 'wow, playing that song took me completely by surprise'.
Maybe you should steer clear of the set list threads,then you would get a surprise when you see them live
__________________

the edges plec is offline  
 

Tags
bono, setlists, zane lowe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×