Your thoughts on "The Staples...." - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,270
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Your thoughts on "The Staples...."

Lets talk about the U2 set list staples.

I think a lot of them are sounding much more vital on Leg 3 than on Legs 1 and 2. It is almost making me forget how pissed I still am that they can't drop Elevation or Walk On or both.

I Will Follow:
I know it wasn't played on the 1st 2 legs, but the 3 performances so far on this leg have reminded us exactly why it should have been! The Edge especially looks like a kid in a candy store playing this song, and its faster and Bono is singing it better than at any time since around 1985! I don't care if its been played 450 gazillion times in their career, if U2 are going to bring this much energy to a song, play it! Play it twice for all I care!

New Year's Day: Its been widely remarked upon here that Bono is singing this song amazingly well this leg. Refer to the voice highlights clip. I think it works better right up front in the set list, it gets the crowd fired up and into the show without resorting to moles in holes with souls! Massively popular and massively good. Plus, they don't wear out its welcome by over playing it like they did with say, Pride.

Sunday Bloody Sunday:
Continues its awesome run from 2009 into 2010! Elevation and Vertigo are nursing home tribute band versions compared to the 360 fired up version. Larry especially is killing this song on the drums.

Still Haven't Found: I think it sounds even better than 2009, when I thought it sounded the best since Lovetown. Instead of being the speak/sing along and play lazy moment, U2 are actually putting some energy and passion behind this song again. Once again, it has that "Gospel tune with a restless spirit" feel that Bono first described in 1987.

Streets: Continues a solid 2009 run, maybe a bit better now owing to Bono.

With or Without You:
Wow! It actually sounds like Bono decided to sing this song again instead of mumbling it out as an afterthought between Ultraviolet and MOS. The highs and lows are in the right place. It is sounding closer to the album version these days. Drastic improvement over everything since Zoo TV.

Mysterious Ways: Yes, I want the slide solo back as much as anyone, and there is a lot left to be desired here. I will never understand what possessed Larry to neuter this song single handedly on 360. However, it seems to be much tighter and pack a punch that it didn't have last year.

One: Honestly don't know. Would love some help here. I think it depends on the night. The closest thing I can develop to a pattern is these days, Bono doesn't seem to care about singing this song until it gets toward the end, then he lets loose and belts it out like he did on Zoo TV-Elevation. Boston 9/20/09 is a good example, I was at that show. I was pretty bored for the 1st part of the song, eagerly awaiting Streets, then seemingly out of nowhere, "you ask me to enter but then you made me crawl" comes out like he's trying, then the Edge's guitar and Bono's vocals kick it into high gear! Now I'm interested, and after the outro, Bono's winding up to do "hear us coming" which he does perfectly. My overall impression- "shit, that must have been the best version I've seen since Zoo TV!" Go to the boot and listen to the 1st couple minutes...not so much.

Until The End Of The World: Leg 1 OK. Leg 2. Better. Leg 3. Much, much better. Like NYD, this song always finds a way to be good, but it just seems that much better on Leg 3 of 360.

I left out City, Vertigo and Beautiful Day because we discuss them elsewhere all the time. Ditto with the newer 360 staples from NLOTH.

There just seems to be a vitality to the show that wasn't there in 2009. The set lists, IMHO, have improved a bit overall, though there are certainly some things I wouldn't have done. Like maybe dropping TUF......

I will defend U2's "greatest hits" in places like Moscow, Istanbul and Athens until I die. Zurich showed, just as I and most others expected, that it would be back to rarer stuff and brand new songs as soon as they returned to familiar territory. Hell, Zurich 2 went without NYD, Pride and WOWY!

So anyways, comments on performances of the staples would be appreciated!

Or if you are like me and feel that there is a different energy/vitality to this leg but can't quite explain it, lets hear your thoughts as well!

Thanks everyone!
__________________

U2387 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Mostly agreed, with the exception of WoWY. The band is playing it just fine, but yet again Bono is half-assing it just as he has since Zooropa. Yes it's true the mumbling is a bit less pronounced, but he continues to speak most of the lyrics rather than singing them. I think part of it is its position in the setlist; Bono's been singing all night and maybe trying to save what he's got left for MoS...I'm generally in favor of keeping the "war horses" in but I'd much prefer they drop WoWY until Bono feels like it again. Pride can come back in as a staple instead.
__________________

CTU2fan is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 03:23 AM
I Will Follow is not a staple this tour. It has been played a grande total of what, 3 times now?

I love almost all songs on this list and want them to keep playing them live. Save for One.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Refugee
 
TheEdge25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 06:23 PM
I actually like WOWY where it is in the set list.
I can't think of a better place for it.
Sure, Bono could sing it with a little more heart and power, but I like it how it is.
TheEdge25 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,893
Local Time: 08:23 PM
It's ok, but I liked the Great Western Forum better.
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,270
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I Will Follow is not a staple this tour. It has been played a grande total of what, 3 times now?

I love almost all songs on this list and want them to keep playing them live. Save for One.
Of course.

I said as much.

I just lumped it in with the staples because its been played close to 1000 times by Ax's estimation.

Plus, who could see these 3 performances and not comment on how much better they are than the already very, very good Vertigo versions?
U2387 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,486
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge25 View Post
I actually like WOWY where it is in the set list.
I can't think of a better place for it.
Sure, Bono could sing it with a little more heart and power, but I like it how it is.
I agree, it's sung much better this leg than the 2009 shows. Should stay where it is.
prbiker15 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
The Fly
 
Z00rop@83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: long island
Posts: 291
Local Time: 09:23 PM
listening to WOWY from this leg on youtube right now as i type. Helsinki 8/20 sounds phenomenal as well as frankfurt 8/10 (a tad slow tho)....finally singing, not mumbling, and manages to get the falsetto outro....right now its sounding as good as it has in a longgg time. Although i admit the 1st legs of this tour sounded terrible


check for yourself...
Z00rop@83 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
War Child
 
tsweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 729
Local Time: 09:23 PM
I think Streets and With or Without You are the two songs on your list that I always would like to hear at a U2 show. I liked the Zoo TV version of Mysterious Ways best. Until the End of the World and New Year's Day are always welcome in a set list. I seem to prefer Out of Control over I Will Follow in songs played from the Boy album. The Rattle and Hum film version of Sunday Bloody Sunday was the best. "One" on the Vertigo and especially Elevation Tours were my favorites.
tsweeney is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,336
Local Time: 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Lets talk about the U2 set list staples.

I think a lot of them are sounding much more vital on Leg 3 than on Legs 1 and 2. It is almost making me forget how pissed I still am that they can't drop Elevation or Walk On or both.
Someone prefers the older U2, huh?

Firstly, let me say I'm insanely happy they brought back Elevation this year (saw three concerts in Europe last year and they didn't play it.) Even if I heard it in 2005 it's much better today, the crowd loves it, I love it, it seems like the band loves it. And Walk On gets me every time. MLK -> Walk On is one of the greatest transitions they've done in the last couple of tours, and I seriously don't want them to drop it. They could play it at every show for the rest of their career for all I care.

I like most of the staples, because it feels like the band want to play them. They don't sound tired to me, except for two, which is Pride and With Or Without You. One in Turin was heartbreakingly beautiful, New Year's Day in Horsens I was perhaps my highlight, and Streets is fantastic every single time (I don't know how they do it). I'm amazed we actually saw a show like Zurich II, I hope they trust their audience to do things like that again, but I enjoy the staples everytime, except for With Or Without You, or, let me rephrase: Not that I don't enjoy it, it's a great song and I enjoy every song at a U2 show, I almost don't care what they play, but it was better in 2005 and earlier performances seem even better. I'm sure if they gave it a rest, it'd be more vital when it came back (like New Year's Day). What they're doing right now is a pretty good mix between staples for the average rock and (for lack of a better word) "fan songs" like unreleased material and Ultraviolet, In A Little While, Unforgettable Fire (presuming it's not gone forever) and so on...

Oh, and Mysterious Ways has never been better. Screw the solo, they play it with such energy, and works perfectly early in the set.
God Part III is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
Refugee
 
TheEdge25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 06:23 PM
I think with the addition of Miss Sarajevo and Bono having to really use his voice for the high notes in the song, he has also decided to actually use the full range of his voice for WOWY and Streets and One and HMTMKMKM this leg.
TheEdge25 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,270
Local Time: 09:23 PM
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Part III View Post
Someone prefers the older U2, huh?
Haha!

Not necessarily.

I would replace Elevation with Glastonbury or NLOTH.

It is true that I love 80s U2 and think that the career balance of the 360 sets has been way, way off. IWF was the first time they reached back past 1983 all tour! SBS and NYD have been the only representatives of War, and while AB and ATYCLB are mined left and right every tour, JT has just recently gotten an album cut played with MOTD. That is unacceptable, JT and AB are equally great albums.

However, anytime I make alternate set lists, I always wind up with 11 or 12 out of 23-25 songs being from 2000 or after. Even without Elevation and Walk On.

I am in no way an advocate of U2: The Nostalgia tour. 40-50% of songs from the last decade is not a figure The Stones, AC/DC, The Who, Fogerty, The Police, etc will ever touch.

Quote:
Firstly, let me say I'm insanely happy they brought back Elevation this year (saw three concerts in Europe last year and they didn't play it.) Even if I heard it in 2005 it's much better today, the crowd loves it, I love it, it seems like the band loves it. And Walk On gets me every time. MLK -> Walk On is one of the greatest transitions they've done in the last couple of tours, and I seriously don't want them to drop it. They could play it at every show for the rest of their career for all I care.

I like most of the staples, because it feels like the band want to play them. They don't sound tired to me, except for two, which is Pride and With Or Without You. One in Turin was heartbreakingly beautiful, New Year's Day in Horsens I was perhaps my highlight, and Streets is fantastic every single time (I don't know how they do it). I'm amazed we actually saw a show like Zurich II, I hope they trust their audience to do things like that again, but I enjoy the staples everytime, except for With Or Without You, or, let me rephrase: Not that I don't enjoy it, it's a great song and I enjoy every song at a U2 show, I almost don't care what they play, but it was better in 2005 and earlier performances seem even better. I'm sure if they gave it a rest, it'd be more vital when it came back (like New Year's Day). What they're doing right now is a pretty good mix between staples for the average rock and (for lack of a better word) "fan songs" like unreleased material and Ultraviolet, In A Little While, Unforgettable Fire (presuming it's not gone forever) and so on...

Oh, and Mysterious Ways has never been better. Screw the solo, they play it with such energy, and works perfectly early in the set.
I agree with some of this and disagree with some of this, but overall, good post.
U2387 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,646
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
It's ok, but I liked the Great Western Forum better.

Dork.
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,676
Local Time: 08:23 PM
i thought this was going to be about a song called the staples!

i will follow: it's good live though i wish they'd play it a bit faster. sometimes it became a freaking funeral dirge.

new year's day: always great live. i never mind hearing it.

sbs: the performances are always great but i admit sometimes i tend to roll my eyes at it still being kicked around.

ishwilf: yawn. please never play this anymore, guys.

streets: always amazing live.

wowy: this song needed to be retired ages ago.

mysterious ways: always glad to see something off achtung baby played that isn't one. the solo's missing but eh, the song's still good.

one: omgnopleasemakeitstop.

uteotw: always great to hear live.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i will follow:... it's good live though i wish they'd play it a bit faster. sometimes it became a freaking funeral dirge.
Hey, at least it's faster than it was on Popmart. Talk about your funeral dirge. Holy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
new year's day: always great live. i never mind hearing it.
Ditto this.
__________________

corianderstem is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com