Your Blue Room rehearsed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't the forums a place to discuss U2 related issues?? Obviously you don't care to discuss it so... move on. If you have nothing to say... don't post anything. I'm just bringing up a point and HOPING that someone would touch more on the matter.

alright then, it's only been asked about 80 bazillion times already but good luck with that...

alright then, it's only been asked about 80 bazillion times already but good luck with that...

Perhaps... I don't doubt it. So what? Obviously what came into question was his falsetto part on YBR... so I brought it up. I don't have time to look up through every post and see where the answers are on that matter. If people want to discuss it further, then good. If not, don't bother posting anything or better yet, smart remarks.

LOL, zwervers, you realise that is 4 words of advice?? :lol: perhaps you need to lay OFF the drugs

just kidding pal :hug:

I had my fair share :)

off topic: I am just so happy! My wife and I bought a fantastic appartment today!

:rockon:

But why is it that Bono can't sing the falsetto's anymore?

To be honest, falsettos come and go, it's somewhat of a mystery to me as to why Bono's falsetto seems to be lacking when his full voice is the best it's been in ages and a falsetto is much easier to actually sing. The two things that I've found that can effect a falsetto is control and to some affect a "dry" throat, my theory is just that Bono isn't in the shape he used to be therefore all the moving about he does effects his ability to control the falsetto, because he still has it in the studio...

Aren't the forums a place to discuss U2 related issues?? Obviously you don't care to discuss it so... move on. If you have nothing to say... don't post anything. I'm just bringing up a point and HOPING that someone would touch more on the matter.

I know it sounds a bit "arrogant"and in no way am I trying to compare myself to Bono ofc course but I have the same "poblem"that bono has. My falsetto is gone. I dont know when or how but somewhere it dissapeared.

example:

YouTube - If you wanna

This is 2 years ago. around the 50 seconds mark you hear my voice going up pretty high in falsetto mode. There is NO WAY I can do this anymore and I dont know why. I quit smkoing for God's sake. Maybe I should start again :hmm:

my theory is just that Bono isn't in the shape he used to be therefore all the moving about he does effects his ability to control the falsetto, because he still has it in the studio...

But not in the way it was right? Like the song this discussion is about for instance. I just can not imagine him being able to do this in the studio too. Explain to me BVS, why can I not reach this hight anymore like in the example I just posted. I can not get it back, it is so frustrating.

I don't get it either, it's weird. There times however where I've heard on various bootlegs where he does seem to have it quite well, but the duration seems to be quite short, never particularly long. He cuts it short when it weakens out, I've noticed.

I think one of the main particular reasons he his falsetto is different could be his voice is much deeper now and it's harder him to go so high in his voice like he used to OR he is simply out of practice. I don't particularly believe it's anything to do with not having the lung capacity to do it, because falsettos don't always require excellent breathing control and let's be honest during Popmart where he was smoking god knows how much he could still do it ok. So I dunno it's a tricky one, maybe he strains too much in his way of doing it with his throat with improper technique and he can't handle it? It's weird, but heck I've learned to get used to it now.

Bono's falsetto is much, much strong right now than it was on the last two tours. It might be better than it was on PopMart, too. Is it as good as Lovetown/ZooTV/Passengers? No, but it's better than just about any other era. He can easily sing the falsetto part on YBR. Can he sing it as well as he did in 1995? No. Can he sing it? Yes. And Edge's falsetto is way too thin for that part anyway (it works better for more "soaring" falsetto vocals, eg Vertigo's The Fly).

Not entirely sure if I agree with you there, by that I mean just by hearing the falsetto parts of The Unforgettable Fire puts doubts into my mind..

The thing is, there are differences in falsetto I can hear that he uses which seem strong and weak.

Firstly Elevation falsetto - pretty basic easier for him to do.

Secondly One - the part at the end, similar to the WOOs of Elevation so easier for him to do.

Now thirdly this gets more tricky, Unforgettable Fire - "Stay in this time" harder because it's more spoken falsetto and the transition to "Stay tonight in a lie" full voice is hit and miss because it requires more control.

Fourthly With Or Without You - should be easy for him to do like One and Elevation but doesn't come across that way, given that this is more breathy falsetto - which he even had problems with during The Joshua Tree Tour but got considerably better with in the 90's.

Fifthly (can't believe I'm going this far now) Bad - still got it, but sometimes hard for him to do the WOOs and at times the audience takes over. But again, he had issues with this in the 80's sometimes and only got much better with it in the 90's.

So my conclusion? Bono has always had some issues with his falsetto. It seems during the 80's when his normal singing voice was quite energetic he for some reason found the falsetto sometimes difficult to achieve as well. It was only during the 1990's where I believe his normal singing voice was deteriorating, from smoking, alcohol, screaming, that he had to rely on his falsetto more to save his voice, which meant he had better practice in using it and it mastered it quite well. Today I believe we are seeing a similar effect of the 80's as he's got some range back, his voice is quite energised now and he doesn't need to use the falsetto so much to fall back on like he did for the "wide awakes" in Bad during the ZooTV tour. So I believe he's a little out of practice that's all and when he wants to or when he's practices it enough, he can actually be really good.

This is just my observation, and I only notice this because I obsessively watch their old performances each day to chill out.

I know it sounds a bit "arrogant"and in no way am I trying to compare myself to Bono ofc course but I have the same "poblem"that bono has. My falsetto is gone. I dont know when or how but somewhere it dissapeared.

example:

YouTube - If you wanna

This is 2 years ago. around the 50 seconds mark you hear my voice going up pretty high in falsetto mode. There is NO WAY I can do this anymore and I dont know why. I quit smkoing for God's sake. Maybe I should start again :hmm:

Hey man, nice song - where can I find more of your music?

I hope Bono sings the falsetto parts, and I hope he fucking owns it and all the doubters here have to listen to it. That would be awesome. Wow, that would be great. :heart:

But not in the way it was right? Like the song this discussion is about for instance. I just can not imagine him being able to do this in the studio too. Explain to me BVS, why can I not reach this hight anymore like in the example I just posted. I can not get it back, it is so frustrating.

Well his falsetto in WITS was pretty damn good. All I know is that I lost control over my falsetto for a short time and two things really helped me, getting back on the treadmill, and actually doing vocal exercises...

I don't mean to sound condescending and I know it sounds rather elementary, but as singers I know we can get lazy and just think practicing the songs and singing is enough, I've fallen into that trap, but vocal exercises help out tremendously. I know tons of singers that "forget" about that... My vocal coach gave me one of the most simple exercises I can think of, but it's hard to describe in words, let me see if I can find a description or video of it...

BTW zwervers, I like that song, do you have more?

One word of advice Unicorn: stay of the drugs.. You are much clearer and nicer without them. :up:
On topic, to make it a bit easier for you:

YouTube - U2 Live! The Wanderer

4:16 min. That is Edge, the guitarplayer of U2 and he is singing a part that the Bono of 2009 unfortunately can not sing anymore..Notice that Bono is not singing lead and vocals at the same time but just plays a little bit of guitar.

Good luck with everything :hug:

Mullet and Hat. :crack:

Everybody should stop bitching...we have not heard it yet! It may blow us away even without the falsetto...but as reports have shown: BONO HAS BEEN SINGING THE FALSETTO PARTS!!!

I hope Bono sings the falsetto parts, and I hope he fucking owns it and all the doubters here have to listen to it. That would be awesome. Wow, that would be great. :heart:

I really hope so to, and although I still am not convinced he will, I would be incredibly happy to hear him sing that song again in full glory :up:

BTW zwervers, I like that song, do you have more?

yes, I will post a couple of home made demos today. They are just recorded by me and not the band. Most stuff we have never tried together actually :) Hope to have finsihed recording in decmeber and the double record will be called: Paintings of a season / The summer of poor excuses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE77QFVWG8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMQOWJDOK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd0kMG6yLw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PfrSJ0uVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dhZToCKO0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRu-BEzJOc

that's it for now.

have a great day everyone :wave:

U2 won't play the song, the ISS crew will. They'll surely find someone who can sing the falsetto. It's actually easier to sing a falsetto in space than on earth.

I hoped they'd play it in Cardiff, but I guess we have to wait until the first US dates.

Was hopeful for Cardiff but had a feeling they'd probably play it somewhat safe on the last gig and wait until the American dates to start changing things again. Oh well, hopefully I'll get to see it sometime on the 2010 leg.

Back
Top Bottom