You could almost call the 360 Tour, Lovetown Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
They've strayed so far from the original material and new material from No Line (no North Star, Mercy, Every Breaking Wave played in America) -- gone are No Line, Unknown, Breathe...

Back are gems like Pride, Stay, All I Want Is You...

Not that it's a bad thing, kind of awesome in a way... very reminiscent of Lovetown, more keen on playing the older/rare stuff, less on political message...

And since when did Lovetown stray from new material? Hawkmoon 269 wasn't a regular (unfortunately since it was the best live song from that album and one of U2's best concert openers), Heartland wasn't played at all (sniff), but the rest of the original material was played quite regularly. Plus All Along the Watchtower. :drool:

Somebody's on crack.

Not even close, but this is the first tour in a very long time that has actually seen significant improvements/changes in the setlist take place during the latter part of the tour rather than the other way around. For the most part Elevation/Vertigo were great during their early legs but sucked toward the end with regards to setlists, while 360 has kinda turned out to be the opposite of that, IMHO.

James

Now if we could only get Heartland! ;-)

If you start to think about it, the NLOTH material really isn't that new anymore. It's been close to 2.5 yrs since it was released. I'm not surprised they've been changing up the set some.

Not even close, but this is the first tour in a very long time that has actually seen significant improvements/changes in the setlist take place during the latter part of the tour rather than the other way around. For the most part Elevation/Vertigo were great during their early legs but sucked toward the end with regards to setlists, while 360 has kinda turned out to be the opposite of that, IMHO.

James

I agree with you, except for the part that although Vertigo's final setlists were much weaker than what came before, they were still pretty solid. 360 in 2009 and 2010 had by far - in my humble opinion - the worst setlists U2 ever had - so I'm delighted to see that I actually like the 2011 sets. Still worse than most what came before that, but I'm enjoying the improvement.

I actually agree with the original poster, basically because 360 seems to be much more of a celebration of the band's career as a whole (with a relatively heavy focus on my favorite era, the early 90s) than a celebration of the band's new music. I had actually just made this comparison in my head the other day. :reject:

[This refers much more to 2010 and especially 2011 than 2009 (still my favorite year of the tour), of course]

I actually agree with the original poster, basically because 360 seems to be much more of a celebration of the band's career as a whole (with a relatively heavy focus on my favorite era, the early 90s) than a celebration of the band's new music. I had actually just made this comparison in my head the other day. :reject:

[This refers much more to 2010 and especially 2011 than 2009 (still my favorite year of the tour), of course]

Maybe you saw my previous post in this thread, but Lovetown was a tour supporting new material from Rattle and Hum all the way. Most of the songs were very well represented. Not a single song was deleted permanently from the set, as in the case of 360 and No Line on the Horizon. I don't see Lovetown as a celebration of the band's career any more than any other tour before or after it.

Judging by the amount of aneurysms I've had on this forum, my brain looks something like this:

Aneurysem.jpg

(i.e. still a bit healthier than Pop's setlist representation.)

The closest any tour post 1990 has come to the Lovetown town was the Vertigo tour, at least the first leg. And I'm not talking just about how they mixed up the running order of the set and dropped in and out a few songs on multi-night stands, but the level of Edge's playing which imo, was the best it had been since the 1989 tour.

T.B.

James

Depends on the tour.

JT was better when all the B-sides came along in latter legs. Zoo TV got better in stadiums, but it was weakened with Zooropa material. Same for Popmart - major improvement once they dumped excess Pop songs.

The tours in 00's were all better in early legs. 360 2009 promoting NLOTH pwns the 2010 bits of new, but otherwise cluttered mess of a setlist. 2011 is still a mess, except made worse by the nostalgia lovin' of the Zoo TV era.

NEVER read anyone here saying ZOO TV got weaker with the Zooropa material. sure i can see why people wouldn't like Numb but jeeeez :huh:

Back
Top Bottom