Yay or Nay on North Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sorta reminds me of So Cruel live.. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, will let you know after next week. :wink:

And for now it's a yay as it replaced Stuck.

Yes, I like North Star a lot. I don't think they need to do much more with it- perhaps Eno can add some ambient sounds to make it a little more mysterious but in essence, I think it's complete and very compelling.

Boring, with cliched lyrics.

Sounds like regression, not progression.

Perhaps, but I think all U2 songs sound worse in acoustic form.

Full band and with some studio atmospheres and textures the song could improve a lot.

the chords are the same as Stuck.

Not really. Sure, a few of the chords are used in both songs (E, A and C#m are used in both) but the progression is completely different. However, I agree that the lyrics are a bit generic, but as the song apparently comes from the HTDAAB-sessions I'm not particularly surprised and probably shouldn't be used as a way of telling on what direction U2 is going next.

Overall, a yay for me. If it ever comes on a record it'll need to have a more interesting arrangement, though. Just an acoustic guitar doesn't really cut it.

It gave me little shivery chills when I watched the vid that U2gigs posted . . . as ever I have high hopes that the studio version will be kind, and really, if it's booting out Stuck, well, it deserves a big ole shiny purple star just for that right there :wink: . . . be interested to see if it will get an airing at the next show (frankfurt? ) <badfan> :lol:

Yay, I think is just beautiful. I'm not a big fan of most of their acoustic performances, but I dig North Star.

Yay. Just...yay.
Can't wait to hear the full-band version, but the acoustic version is pretty gorgeous as well. :drool:

Hmmm

Honestly I'm surprised they would play something live that is so unrealized.

The chorus is a pretty melody (albeit reminiscent of OOTS to an extent)...but the song is mostly just the chorus over and over.

I would love to hear a full band electric version once it is done. For now it was a yawn for me :[

However, Glastonbury (sounds like LAPOE in parts) is a different story! Kind of shocked there is no thread about that one!

i like it, and i keep thinking that the studio version will be even better. look at studio "Stay" or "TGBHF" compared to the acoustic versions.

A Yay minus for me.But like most of you have said,i'll wait for the album version to make up my mind as to where is it rank in U2's catalogue.

And poor "Stuck"..you people are a tough crowd...lol.I think you should use Linus attitude that he has toward the little christmas tree in the "A Charlie Brown christmas", with that song.

"All it needs is just a little bit of love"-Linus

:wink:

I'm fine being in the minority in thinking Stuck shits all over this song in its current state. This one is decent, but needs a lot of work to get to the Stay/Stuck level of acoustic goodness.

I like it better than the rehearsal video (if that was the same song). The chorus is particularly good, and it got better towards the end. Look forward to hearing it in a studio version sometime.

Perhaps, but I think all U2 songs sound worse in acoustic form.

I can't really argue with this, I absolutely hate it when they neuter songs like WGRYWH or Stay.

The only one I would say I enjoyed was the Spanish-styled Staring at the Sun with Bono doing a nice lead guitar part on PopMart. The song was the least-adventurous musically on POP to begin with and didn't suffer from the strip-down.

I can't really argue with this, I absolutely hate it when they neuter songs like WGRYWH or Stay.

The only one I would say I enjoyed was the Spanish-styled Staring at the Sun with Bono doing a nice lead guitar part on PopMart. The song was the least-adventurous musically on POP to begin with and didn't suffer from the strip-down.

Yeah, but I wasn't a big fan of the song with just one acoustic guitar on Elevation.

Back
Top Bottom