WOWY - what happened ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 PM
WOWY - what happened ?

I don't mind the more "lounge" version on Popmart and Elevation as it was something new compared to JT-Lovetown-(most of)Zoo TV powervocal version, plus Bono didn't really have a choice with the state of his voice then.

But as we have seen his voice has improved on Vertigo/360 and he could easily introduce more power into the song now (see: Bad on Vertigo tour and UV on this tour). So why not go for it ? Surely with all the knowledge of the instrument he can get away with two bing songs in a row. Plus after that only MOS is left to sing...

Old 09-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I reckon they're playing WOWY more because they feel like they have to, not because they (or at least Bono) want to, hence the lack of passion in the song. Which is just ridiculous, given how many crowd-pleasers U2 have in their catalogue. They don't have to play WOWY, or anything else for that matter. Put it out to pasture, U2, and don't play it again until you're really, truly feeling it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:17 PM
It must be hard to summon up the conviction for a song you've performed too many times to mention.

Personally I feel the bands interest in it has been waning since Popmart. They need to change their whole mindset towards it, ditch the slower-paced more languid interpretation and put a fire under it. It used to be gloriously operatic, now its just a slow moan.

Or failing that, they should just do what they did with Bad during Popmart, leave it off the set-list until you rediscover your enthusiasm for it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 04:17 PM
I agree... it seems like he's not even trying on this song. I don't get it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 08:17 PM
I think instead of doing Stuck or Walk On acoustically (both of which sound very thin), WOWY could stand some reinvention in the acoustic format.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:17 PM
I don't mind them playing stuff I'm sick of, if they think it's good for the show, or if they're not tired of playing it.

It sounds like it's not good for anyone now, and they're sick of it. The "casual fans" will live without WOWY just fine. I mean, they still get Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, I Still Haven't Found.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:17 PM
I think the thing about With or Without You is that it's unlike any other song
so, even though I wouldn't miss it, I can see why they feel like including it in the set
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 01:17 AM
i know i'm in the dwindling minority here, but i really love this forlorn version of WOWY.

WOWY can be broadly categorized into the pre-Macphisto & post-Macphisto versions.....the rock song vs the sorrowful love song. Without getting into the reasons why Bono sings it the way he does now, I think the current version provides a very suitable interpretation of the song. I'm not saying it's BETTER than the rock version, but just that Bono's current handling of WOWY definitely works for me!

so while i agree with all the adjectives most ppl use to describe Bono's singing on WOWY in its current state (tired, languorous, lackluster etc.), i believe it actually works really well! (because of the nature of the song)
Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
War Child

whilst i do think it is sung crap nowadays i would still have it over every other u2 song aside from one

what i am saying is i still want one and wowy not matter how crap they are sung!

i don't think i am alone either. also have to remember a lot of the stadium crowd will be first timers wnating to hear the bigger hits
Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Refugee

I don't know about you...but With or Without You is a song that feeds on the audience. It is absolutely fantastic if the audience is energetic...take Cardiff for example.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:17 PM
What happened to WOWY, MacPhisto got a hold of it, and Bono now thinks that's how it's suppose to be sung...
Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
The Fly

Honestly, this sounds ridiculous, but I think part of the problem is that damn wheel mic Bono's using in the encore. Even during Ultraviolet, Bono basically ignores the crowd and doodles around with that thing (with the wheel mic serving no apparent purpose). He doesn't even sing some lines because he's too busy playing with the mic like he's pushing someone around on a tire swing. I'm going to the 2nd Chicago show and am absolutely psyched for it. But based on the youtube clips, the encore would be better sans wheel mic.

And for anyone that says, "Wat??! da wheel mic made my knight!!1! bono wuz so fun to wotch playing with that ting!1!! wtf how coud you not liek it??!?" ... I simply won't understand. I love and appreciate Bono being playful at concerts as much as the next person (love Bono's various concert personas), but the wheel mic has no functional purpose but to distract him from giving a compelling performance on songs like WOWY.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
New Yorker

After Zoo Tv....I feel that is when Bono stopped putting effort into songs. To those that doubt he gets bored of singing these songs, ask yourself this.....how often do you hear him deviate from or lack effort on the new songs ....compared to how he treats some of the old ones.
Its like UF. I was listening to it live from sheffield tonight, and Bono just basically skips the chorus of the song completely. This is the best part of the song damn it! Just as welll tho that the band have funked that part up a bit to compensate. Im really diggin it
Old 09-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullonedge3 View Post
Honestly, this sounds ridiculous, but I think part of the problem is that damn wheel mic Bono's using in the encore. Even during Ultraviolet, Bono basically ignores the crowd and doodles around with that thing (with the wheel mic serving no apparent purpose). He doesn't even sing some lines because he's too busy playing with the mic like he's pushing someone around on a tire swing. I'm going to the 2nd Chicago show and am absolutely psyched for it. But based on the youtube clips, the encore would be better sans wheel mic.

And for anyone that says, "Wat??! da wheel mic made my knight!!1! bono wuz so fun to wotch playing with that ting!1!! wtf how coud you not liek it??!?" ... I simply won't understand. I love and appreciate Bono being playful at concerts as much as the next person (love Bono's various concert personas), but the wheel mic has no functional purpose but to distract him from giving a compelling performance on songs like WOWY.
I can't agree with you on this. I think the wheel mike does not take away from the show but adds to it. The band sounds great.

When Bono is hanging from the wheel mike, I believe it is a metaphor for hanging onto love. When he sings like a broken man, I believe he is singing with conviction, in the sense that a man is full of agony when he cannot live with or without his love. That's why sings with a broken voice and verse in the song. It's about a man barely holding it together.

He's full of sorrow and pain through the beginning, where at the climax he howls with all the emotions that have been building inside. He's singing out to his lover that he cannot live with her...or without her.

At least, that's how I interpret the song. It's subject to anyone's view. But to me, Bono's behavior in the song makes perfect sense:

It's a song about a broken man. A man barely holding it together. Exactly, how Bono sings it.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
The Fly

I appreciate your take on the matter, Moser. Maybe that will change how I view the wheel mic, but I'll reserve judgment until I see the show.

Tags
with or without you, wowy