With or Without You 360 2010 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 PM
With or Without You 360 2010

Is it just me or was the Dec 19 2010 version of WOWY one of the best in a very long time? I think that, if it wasn't for the minor variation in the middle of the "my hands are tied verse(the nothing to win and nothing left to lose)," it could be the best of the tour.

I think it's easily the best the first 2 verses and the first 2 sets of "with or without you, with or without you's" have been sung since early Zoo Tv. Maybe even Lovetown!

I consider this to be one of probably 6 or 8 really great performances of this song in 2010! What a drastic improvement from 2009, when it sounded like Elevation Bono half asleep on sedatives. It was that bad. Consistently!

Just off the top of my head, Moscow, Athens, Vienna and Istanbul were phenomenal!

I'd love to hear what others here think! WOWY was the IALW of 2009 in terms of complaints from interference, I think.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
it's woken it's shit up this year.

it was actually unacceptably bad in 2009, but the 2010 versions were all superb. i remember commenting after hearing my first 2010 performance how good it was.

it's not back to where it was before macphisto started to ruin it, but it's right up there.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 07:53 PM
That was actually a pretty good performance, now if Bono can only do the song like this for the rest of the tour, that would be great and would total change my view about this song being performed live these days (don't forget to put in Shine Like Stars Bono )
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Refugee

^^

Shine Like Stars would be very nice!

Done a few times this yr, so we know he remembers it!

Not to be greedy, but Edge could wind up a 2nd solo too, maybe! Like, say on JT and Zoo TV.

It would take up no more time than the current extended outro and 2nd round of "oh, oh, oh's."
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it's woken it's shit up this year.

it was actually unacceptably bad in 2009, but the 2010 versions were all superb. i remember commenting after hearing my first 2010 performance how good it was.

it's not back to where it was before macphisto started to ruin it, but it's right up there.
^ Pretty much that. I enjoyed WOWY a lot this year, while last year it was pretty meh. Bono's much more into it, less whispering of the words, more singing!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
Refugee

^^

GaleonGirl, that says a lot!

I remember you commenting on/reviewing all of the shows you attended in both 2009 and 2010. You're probably as good an authority as any on this, and one of the few here who has witnessed multiple versions in both years.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Galeonbroad

Well there's plenty of other people from Europe I've spoken to who had seen shows both last year and this year, and all of them agreed that this year something happened to Bono. Perhaps it was the back injury rest that revitalised him, or that because of that he felt he needed to spice things up to prove us he's still there... I don't know what it is but damn. There's such a HUGE contrast between last year and this year, it improved so much. In 2009 I was ofcourse super impressed with the shows I saw, but now I look back they don't compare to the shows I saw this year. It's so much more energetic, there's more connections to the crowd and all four of the guys seem in such better spirits. It's like they're finally decided to have fun again! Especially Bono, he seems to be a mix of The Fly and his Pop era self. During Stingray he's the perfect cocky bastard, walking around giving people the finger, then laughing it off, just strutting that walkway like he owns the place(which he does, but you get my point!). And there seems to be much more interaction between the guys as well, simple smiles exchanged, the whole spanking business during Crazy Tonight, mic sharing between Bono and Edge, playing back to back to each other...

I realise this could be taken the wrong way, but I think that back injury was actually a really good thing to happen.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Definitely a huge, huge, huge improvement. I don't think I've even bothered to have a look at a WOWY video in forever, and watching it from one of the Sydney shows genuinely surprised me.

While you could 'blame' the MacPhisto version, that was a sort of characterised version. Almost a different song. It's really from Popmart on when it was just seemingly about laziness.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Really? I love McPhisto version....
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well there's plenty of other people from Europe I've spoken to who had seen shows both last year and this year, and all of them agreed that this year something happened to Bono. Perhaps it was the back injury rest that revitalised him, or that because of that he felt he needed to spice things up to prove us he's still there... I don't know what it is but damn. There's such a HUGE contrast between last year and this year, it improved so much. In 2009 I was ofcourse super impressed with the shows I saw, but now I look back they don't compare to the shows I saw this year. It's so much more energetic, there's more connections to the crowd and all four of the guys seem in such better spirits. It's like they're finally decided to have fun again! Especially Bono, he seems to be a mix of The Fly and his Pop era self. During Stingray he's the perfect cocky bastard, walking around giving people the finger, then laughing it off, just strutting that walkway like he owns the place(which he does, but you get my point!). And there seems to be much more interaction between the guys as well, simple smiles exchanged, the whole spanking business during Crazy Tonight, mic sharing between Bono and Edge, playing back to back to each other...

I realise this could be taken the wrong way, but I think that back injury was actually a really good thing to happen.
I like 2009 360 a lot more than 2010 360.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 01:53 AM
That is an excellent version of that song. I mean, the whole tour this year has been magnificent but Perth 2, that was something special when it comes to Bono's voice it seems. The improvements with the warhorses this year has been amazing. Songs like One, WOWY and WTSHNN have sounded great this year while there's also been amazing performances of songs like Bad, AIWI, Miss Sarajevo and more.

It's been a good year.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post

Word for word 100% agreement!!

I greatly enjoyed the 2009 shows, but those of us who know U2 best couldn't help but notice something seemed off with all of them. Especially Bono and Edge. Edge almost seemed like something was bothering him.

This increase in energy was noticeable from the 1st time I watched the Stingray video from Turin.

It never let up the entire 2010 tour.

Quote:
JORU:

That is an excellent version of that song. I mean, the whole tour this year has been magnificent but Perth 2, that was something special when it comes to Bono's voice it seems. The improvements with the warhorses this year has been amazing. Songs like One, WOWY and WTSHNN have sounded great this year while there's also been amazing performances of songs like Bad, AIWI, Miss Sarajevo and more.

It's been a good year.
Also agree word for word.

WOWY is perhaps the best evidence, but One and Streets, already pretty good in 2009, have become much, much better in 2010.

I am loving the effort the band is putting into both songs these days, and also the Berlin/Trabant video for One and the JT video for Streets!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
War Child

I've enjoyed WOWY on this tour both last year and this year. As long as Bono keeps doing that throwing-the-steering-wheel-mic-into-the-air bit during the oh oh oh's, I'll be happy. Shine Like Stars needs to be snippeted more often, though.

For the record, I liked the MacPhisto version of WOWY during ZooTV Down Under- mostly because it had a different ambiance with Edge using an E-Bow to mimic the Infinite Guitar sound.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I like 2009 360 a lot more than 2010 360.
Have you been to a 2010 show?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

The song hasn't been the same ever since Macphisto took over...360 is a bit better compared to Popmart-Elevation-Vertigo, but nowhere near what it used to be; still essentially the same lounge style, lazy vocals.

The song just needs Edge's solo and Bono singing, rather than muttering the words.

The Gerry Ryan tribute version is how they *could* be doing the song justice on tour...