Willie's Diary - All info and updates HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
From his diary:

" then maybe three or four new songs to keep it interesting for us as much as everyone else. I've been keen to put in Mercy, for the novelty value of playing something unreleased, and then there's Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World which will be a winner if we can make the production elements happen"

So i take it, that there is a big chance this is one of the four songs Adam was talking about in his video?

God, why does this have to be such a big thing for U2. It's so effing frustrating that they have to tease like this. Just play whatever the hell you want to. Hundreds of other bands do every night, so why can't you? If you're going to play static setlists, do it. If you want to change things up each night, do it. But stop tossing ideas around that you're NEVER. GOING. TO. DO. This is what makes me the most frustrated. I'll see U2 no matter what they play, but when they do shit like this, act like they're gracing us with their presence when we're the ones who pay to see THEM, well it's just VERY off-putting.

So i take it, that there is a big chance this is one of the four songs Adam was talking about in his video?

Probably. I think it'd be a nice EP:

1. Return of the Stingray
2. Glastonbury
3. North Star
4. Mercy

God, why does this have to be such a big thing for U2. It's so effing frustrating that they have to tease like this. Just play whatever the hell you want to. Hundreds of other bands do every night, so why can't you? If you're going to play static setlists, do it. If you want to change things up each night, do it. But stop tossing ideas around that you're NEVER. GOING. TO. DO. This is what makes me the most frustrated. I'll see U2 no matter what they play, but when they do shit like this, act like they're gracing us with their presence when we're the ones who pay to see THEM, well it's just VERY off-putting.

its Willie's tour diary, for goodness sakes. Just because the show designer thinks he would like to add certain songs doesn't mean the band is going to go along with it. The band has said that they would play 3 or 4 new songs, and so far they have delivered on 3 of the 4 in just 3 shows, so i dont think they are intentionally trying to frustrate internet posters with 50k posts. :sexywink:

I suspect if they were all tight lipped about everything some people would be complaining that "they never tell us fans anything, it's so VERY off-putting"

:hug:

Heh, sorry that was a ridiculous post earlier.

It was just this part that pissed me off

then maybe three or four new songs to keep it interesting for us as much as everyone else.

It's just the way they dangle stuff like that in front of us. And Willie's a big part of the U2 machine, so, yes, I take the things he says the same way I take things the band say.

Heh, sorry that was a ridiculous post earlier.

It was just this part that pissed me off

It's just the way they dangle stuff like that in front of us. And Willie's a big part of the U2 machine, so, yes, I take the things he says the same way I take things the band say.
i totally hear you, though. like when they dropped drowning man after rehearsing it a little because they thought it'd kill the show. i mean if they think it didn't work, fine. but i do hear you that the carrots they dangle in front of us and then take away to play elevation for the 5,000th time is incredibly annoying.

this times infinity.

god i love this song!

play it, release it, do something with it for god sakes!

totally agree with you.. I hate be constantly teased by stuff said.. :angry:

"three or four new songs to keep it interesting for us as much as everyone else" = "the set is boring" ?
Ah, Interference...

Very well said, Mrs Garrison.

This would be cool to hear. I'd especially like to see if they've kept it the same or changed it at all.

Note that Willie specifically says it'd be interesting to play Mercy for the fact of playing something unreleased. Guess Edge didn't tell him about the random dude at the filming of the WITS video who asked him about Mercy....

i totally hear you, though. like when they dropped drowning man after rehearsing it a little because they thought it'd kill the show. i mean if they think it didn't work, fine. but i do hear you that the carrots they dangle in front of us and then take away to play elevation for the 5,000th time is incredibly annoying.

That's all I'm trying to say. If they hadn't TALKED about playing "Drowning Man" so much, maybe a lot of us would've been a bit less disappointed when they didn't play it.

Then Willie's over here name-dropping the biggest white whale of them all, and it's like...an 8% chance it's going to get played, but, hey we'll all keep hanging on to your every word in the meanwhile.

No one here would even know Drowning man got played/rehearsed at all if Willie hadn't mentioned it. Just because it's rehearsed doesn't mean it will get played.

Where can you read his diary? Is it via U2.com?
Yeah, as others said already..but if you don't have a paid account on u2.com, you can read the referenced diary here:

Willie's Diary - 'Are we still on for Friday?'
29 July 2010

medium.jpg

Turin. Production rehearsals.

I came in early to work with Dec on more of the sound elements. First up was the 'Questions' piece, which is going to be an audio-visual segue made from written and spoken questions submitted at our request by U2.com subscribers. We spent a while wading through the hundreds of questions which had been sent in. Many were banal beyond words but once we’d filtered out the 'will you marry me' and deranged partisan rants, we were left with an interesting and eclectic selection that became strangely moving when edited together. Having got the sound bed made, I worked with Luke on re-editing the written questions, some in English and some in Italian, which will change with each country we visit. The written questions were far more abundant and they tended to be funnier than the spoken questions (there's probably a psychological reason for this, writing is more anonymous perhaps). As I'd hoped there's a wide selection from the deep and meaningful to the playful and mad, but in amongst the personal and poignant ones, I think my favourite question is 'Are we still on for Friday?' That someone would take the trouble to send that question renews my faith in humanity.

We had three band members by 6pm for another evening's work, with Bono arriving later, around 8, maybe. We had dinner in catering and went over all the new elements currently underway. He seems very well - not that I've seen him run around yet but mentally he's certainly on top of everything. It is a wonderful luxury to be at production rehearsals, already having a great show in the bag. Normally at times like this my two biggest concerns are whether the Big Idea will work and also the time it takes to get everything ready and programmed. This time around we know that the Big Idea is a winner, the band are very comfortable in the performance environment and they know how to use it. On top of this, 90% of the programming is done (aside from small tweaks and updates), so we can use the available time to work on new elements & new songs.

The show from last year developed into something so rock solid that it's hard to break it apart and fit new ideas in, but having captured that show on the Rosebowl DVD, it was clear that we have to refresh the show to some degree. We need a new opening certainly, then maybe three or four new songs to keep it interesting for us as much as everyone else. I've been keen to put in Mercy, for the novelty value of playing something unreleased, and then there's Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World which will be a winner if we can make the production elements happen. Perhaps inspired by opening the tour in Italy, Bono suggested Miss Sarajevo. Looking through the set he then put his finger on Ultraviolet and wondered if there was another song we could put there which would still work with the hanging microphone and laser jacket. After a minute or two he suggested Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, which hasn't seen the light of day since PopMart. In many ways Ultraviolet was the great stealth surprise of last year - a little known album track which came back and stole the show (like a modern day Bad) - but it's on the DVD and in the security of knowing we have it in the bag, it's good to be able to think about alternatives. To give ourselves a sense of how it might be, we watched the performance of Ultraviolet from the Rosebowl DVD, whilst listening to Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. It's clearly not going to be a straight 'cut and paste' but it was a lot more promising than I'd thought. I love that song too - such a big, glam, bombastic thing. It used to sound so good on the PopMart tour.

After Bono had left, I headed for the mix position and spent a couple of hours with team lighting and video, programming the new opening to the show. I have high hopes for Beautiful Day as an opener and oddly it's not something we've done before, certainly not on a regular basis. Got out of there about 2 or so, taking a van home at high speed through the excessively pot-holed streets of Torino.

U2.com > Sign In

Here's how I roll:

I ignore what the band, Willie, Paul, Steve Lillywhite, Gugi, Dik Evans, Gavin, Brian Eno, et al have to say about anything and everything.

I do this because one can get disappointed only so many times before waking up to the reality of the situation. I also do this because, inevitably, one day they'll rehearse or hint at revisiting ASOH and fail to actually play it....and this would crush the fanboy in me.

Mercy is not going to get played Live. But if it does, I'll be very fucking happy to have been wrong.

I don't have an opinion on this Mercy business ... I'm too distracted by the thought of broccoli and brie soup. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom