Willie's Diary - All info and updates HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol: I agree with U2Girl Stingray is an intro, which is what its called on the setlist. Great, they are playing it live, that is an improvement from a pre recorded tape of an intro that is an unreleased and seemingly unfinished song (IE Soon).

Even if you say its the opening song, the transition at the very beginning of the show to Beautiful Day does not work, at all. Its awkward and brings any momentum from Stingray to a grinding halt. That is what the problem is with it. Getting caught up in the semantics of if it is an opening song is ridiculous. The pacing doesnt work with Beautiful Day. Thats why I don't care for it.

:lol: I agree with U2Girl Stingray is an intro, which is what its called on the setlist. Great, they are playing it live, that is an improvement from a pre recorded tape of an intro that is an unreleased and seemingly unfinished song (IE Soon).

Even if you say its the opening song, the transition at the very beginning of the show to Beautiful Day does not work, at all. Its awkward and brings any momentum from Stingray to a grinding halt. That is what the problem is with it. Getting caught up in the semantics of if it is an opening song is ridiculous. The pacing doesnt work with Beautiful Day. Thats why I don't care for it.

I do agree with this. Stingray->Boots or Stingray->No Line or even Stingray->Breathe would work better.

Nothing would be as awesome as Soon->Fez-Being Born, though.

U2 walks out on the stage during both songs. Intro music, nothing more, as indicated by the official title Return of Stingray Guitar Intro.

Bass Trap is a part of the album, and a fully realised song. U2 will never open with an instrumental, that is a moot point.

What people will write to try to prove their argument here... How would they never open with an instrumental if they're doing it now again and again?

But... they just did. Tonight, and the night before, and the night before that :lol:

Just because a song has no lyrics doesnt mean its not a song.

a song is a composition that contains vocal parts ("lyrics") that are performed ("sung"), commonly accompanied by musical instruments. So technically speaking a song without lyrics, is not a song.

U2.com certainly seems clear on it;

"Every Breaking Wave - the fourth new track debuted on the European dates."

So they're counting Stingray as a new track!

Digitize: nice try. 40 was the last song of the set.

Djerdap/zooropop40: no, they didn't. They never have.

Sure U2.com posted that, and no one disputes Stingray being a new piece of U2 music. It is being disputed that it's an opener, when it's not. If Soon wasn't, neither is Stingray.

U2 played it live. So they opened their show with that track. It's really not that hard... the show opener = first piece of music being played live by the band. And Stingray is the first song/instrumental/thing/WHATEVER they play live.

Djerdap/zooropop40: no, they didn't. They never have.

Sure U2.com posted that, and no one disputes Stingray being a new piece of U2 music. It is being disputed that it's an opener, when it's not. If Soon wasn't, neither is Stingray.

Stingray is played live. Soon wasn't. Case closed. Bye.

Those who think that Stingray isn't the opener because it's instrumental,then they must think that a Mozart or Beethoven concert is just a long 2 hour + intro....i guess

Why is it a different situation?

Also, I think it's worth noting that Breathe would also probably fit your definition of intro music - once Larry started playing, the rest of the band started walking onto the stage.

Can't wait to read the bitching for Roger Waters setlist for his next tour...he's gonna play "The Wall" night, after night ,after night, after,,night after night.

Willie has a new entry, entitle "Red Wine and iTunes...":

U2.com > Sign In

Nice. Day off.

We had our opening show post-mortem meeting this afternoon and all went pretty well. It's very interesting to have ten people in a room giving their often wildly differing impressions of the same show. Generally though the feedback was positive though we know there are things still to work on. We agreed that playing a brand new song in complete darkness was possibly closer to eccentricity than wisdom. We also acknowledged that three brand new songs in one show was perhaps asking a little too much of an audience but it was opening night after all, so maybe we were showing off just a little bit.

There were a lot of very positive things though. Miss Sarajevo worked well, I liked the new lights in Walk On and the 'questions' segue into End of the World. We'll look forward to developing the show over the coming months.

A few of us had dinner in Nice then ended up in my hotel room, as I have the best balcony view. It was still very warm and we had red wine and iTunes, so the rest was easy.

:lol: Eccentricity? Interesting way of wording things.

I'm glad to see that they agree quite a bit with the general feelings here. MS was good in Italy, Lights in Walk on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> creepy masks.

Stingray is played live. Soon wasn't. Case closed. Bye.

Return of Stingray Guitar Intro (the official title even implies it's a tour intro) is only partially live if you wanna get that technical - it's prerecorded and it even starts off before the band play along to a prerecorded looped intro. 2 minutes of an instrumental is not an opening song period.

But bonus points for trying !

Return of Stingray Guitar Intro (the official title even implies it's a tour intro) is only partially live if you wanna get that technical - it's prerecorded and it even starts off before the band play along to a prerecorded looped intro. 2 minutes of an instrumental is not an opening song period.

But bonus points for trying !

Oh you're joking. :|

You realise that about 90% of the songs U2 play have prerecorded material in them right?

The use of it, and U2.com's setlist are clear. But never underestimate U2 fans knowing better than the band...

It is a short intro, and the band play along to a fully pre-recorded piece of music. A little different to playing live drums/bass/guitar to a pre-recorded synth or a keyboard part.

Uh it's not a fully pre-recorded piece of music. The bass and drums and lead guitar aren't recorded. Just the second guitar is, but that could also be Dallas in the Underworld, and the extra effects are. Nothing different than them playing With Or Without You every night.

Stingray without the band playing is then only that keyboard loop and the extra guitar ? I doubt that.

U2 walks out on the stage during both songs. Intro music, nothing more, as indicated by the official title Return of Stingray Guitar Intro.

Bass Trap is a part of the album, and a fully realised song. U2 will never open with an instrumental, that is a moot point.

You've had some doozies in your life here, but this one has to take the cake.

If you can't recognize that Soon is played over the PA and Stingray is played live then you may not be qualified to discuss music.

Let's ask everyone here what is the first thing U2 actually plays when they hit the stage?

What is that? Why yes, U2 start with playing an instrumental.

What is that? Why yes, U2 start with playing an instrumental.

Which they themselves call "Return Of The Stingray Guitar INTRO!!!!!!!!!!" They even put the thing in parentheses UNLIKE the rest of the SONGs played.

Willie's diary even discusses which songs they are debating to open with MOS, HMTMKMKM and Beautiful Day. Again, which songs they will OPEN with. Stingray is discussed as the intro, not the opening song by Willie, the band and their setlist even states it this way. :hmm:

Again, it really doesn't matter, Stingray to B. Day doesnt work regardless of if Stingray is an opener or an intro. Thats what needs to be corrected in the setlist.

U2 are playing their intro live. If they played Soon live, it would still be the intro piece IMO. I think its cool they are playing it live but I see it as an intro, the band seems to think so, Willie seems to think so, and their crew seems to think so. :shrug: It's a stupid debate really and I'm sorry I got caught up in it! :wink:

PS: I guess I havent seen a recent setlist print, so maybe they don't call it an intro any longer. If someone has a pic that shows that they no longer call it an intro they should post it. U2gigs is the one that seems to have dropped the "intro" in the title. So I don't know if they saw a setlist this way or it is their personal choosing. :shrug:

I just found these 2 setlists posted on u2start and Stingray isn't listed as an intro..just saying. :)

Horsens 1
115-1282007831-size3.jpg

Turin (oops, here is listed as an intro)
596-1281636719-size2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom