Will the songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu" be played on the U.S. Leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict

just wondering, are they both more prominent and recognizable figures in Europe than they are in the United States? i played the Sheffield gig for a couple friends that i considered well educated the other night, and i must say that both of them did not know who the hell An San Su Kyi was and were vaguely familiar with Desmond Tutu.

so yeah, just wondering if you all think Bono will force both of them on us in the U.S. too.

Well, IMO, if people in the US have NO CLUE who these two are, I HOPE U2 will continue to play these segments on tour. :|

Well, IMO, if people in the US have NO CLUE who these two are, I HOPE U2 will continue to play these segments on tour. :|

yeah...it could be because i'm in a rather ignorant part of the country, but people really don't know who Suu Kyi is. i could just picture it being rather ackward (more ackward than it is already) when people are getting handed masks of a person they don't know.

How about turning the mask around and reading what's written on it?

If many people don't know who she is, it's one more reason for U2 to continue campaigning for her.

I think the political segments of this tour are rather "decent" compared to Bono's frequent Africa rants on the Vertigo tour.

With the Tutu speech coming before One he's unable to do any rants. I'm already starting to miss them, honestly. He has had some beautiful "One speeches" this tour, but now it's all about the Arch.

If many people don't know who she is, it's one more reason for U2 to continue campaigning for her.

I think the political segments of this tour are rather "decent" compared to Bono's frequent Africa rants on the Vertigo tour.

With the Tutu speech coming before One he's unable to do any rants. I'm already starting to miss them, honestly. He has had some beautiful "One speeches" this tour, but now it's all about the Arch.

hmm....i wonder if it's possible between now and then to convince Bono that we all know who she is. maybe then, they'll drop the An San Suu Kyi song. :D

I've never heard of the U2 songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu." What album are they on?

The funny thing is that the people who were sitting by me in Barcelona (who were locals) also had no idea who she was.

I don't think Bono cares whether or not people who know who she is.

I've never heard of the U2 songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu." What album are they on?

I think they're one of the post-2000 albums.

I hope they keep this up, too.

Considering most people in the U.S. can't even name the 3 branches of our government and what they do, I doubt that a Burmese political prisoner will make much of an impact. But, if even one person learns something, it's worth it.

Mark

They should drop changing the world for MOTHERFUCKING ROCK AND ROLL.

Seriously, though, the "stupid American" stereotype isn't as true as George Bush suggested... there are really just as many stupid Europeans as stupid Americans. I think the core setlist will remain absolutely identical to to the first leg's core setlist, at least through Vancouver.

I'm sure they'll keep it up through the states. And as earlier posts have said, I'm all about the way they're doing politics this tour, short, to the point, and less of Bono talking. Although his words in Sheffield about "her only crime is that if there were to be a general election she would win" were excellent.

I'm sure they'll keep it up through the states. And as earlier posts have said, I'm all about the way they're doing politics this tour, short, to the point, and less of Bono talking. Although his words in Sheffield about "her only crime is that if there were to be a general election she would win" were excellent.

Yeah. I really liked hearing Bono speak about Aung San Suu Kyi on the Sheffield broadcast... he's spot on. :up:

I just wish Walk On were a better song....

Couldn't they play Acrobat for her? Or Fez-Being Born, maybe? ;)

Maybe the plan is that they'll end up releasing her just to make U2 stop playing Walk On? :doh:

But wasn't she under house arrest for the first half of the tour but then got the 20 years. I don't see the point in still doing it because this is probably the one thing Bono can't change!

But wasn't she under house arrest for the first half of the tour but then got the 20 years. I don't see the point in still doing it because this is probably the one thing Bono can't change!
so you're saying that if you can't change anything then don't even bother raising awareness?

i probably want walk on to be played as much as you do (very little?), but your reasoning is quite poor, imo.

I somewhat suspect the masks may be dropped/scaled back ... if not for the second leg, then on next year's legs. The band are not oblivious to how poorly crowds have participated.

Can't see the Desmond Tutu speech going anywhere though.

Didn't An San Su Kyi get like 20 years? So what's the point now...they should have dropped it as soon as she got the verdict.
Yeah the "Artists United Against Apartheid" song "Sun City" and the Free Nelson Mandela concerts did fuck all....

I'm sure I read an article about Simple Minds in the 80s having leaflets for Amnesty International at their concerts and some people then referring to "Amnesia International", when they weren't using them for paper planes that is.....

Live Aid totally failed too. :rolleyes:

Though I wouldn't mind to see the masks go, that just failed. The speeches are actually nice. Compared to Bono's shitloads of speeches on Vertigo, the rapage of SBS with the speech in the middle... that kind of stuff is gone now, why are people STILL complaining?

And actually, I liked the Tutu speech a lot. It was cool when everyone around you in the pit started shouting along with the man, I can see through the lies. :wink:

I don't think it's all that different over here, honesty. Most people have a clue that Desmond Tutu was an important figure in South Africa during the anti-Apartheid movement, at least if they were old enough to experience those times. If I made a survey among fellow students I'm afraid the result would be quite disappointing, though.
Even less people will know about Aung San Suu Kyi, or what is going on in Burma. I think knowledge about these subjects unfortunately isn't that great, no matter where you go or who you ask.

Didn't An San Su Kyi get like 20 years? So what's the point now...they should have dropped it as soon as she got the verdict.

Actually this last go around she got 3 years in prison with hard labor but that was commuted to another 18 months of house arrest. And the thing is that since this house arrest is and has been a sham anyway, the current dictator of Burma can decide at anytime to do whatever the hell he wants so he can cancel her house arrest on a whim if he feels like it.

Not sure if what's being done at the shows helps her situation, but I don't think it hurts either.

Aung San Suu Kyi has actually been in the American press a decent bit lately. Or maybe I just think that, since I get all my news from the BBC anyway.

drop both songs, they're a bit tired. Walk On was nice on Elevation tour, especially when it kind of became a post 9/11 anthem.

this version, though sped up a bit, just isn't really it for me. One seems to be tired as well, which is too bad, it's my all time favorite song.

Please get rid of the masks, the message behind it was nice, but what a lame way to go about it. i don't see them dropping this as it'll give some american volunteers a chance to walk on stage....because I'm sure if they didn't, that would be bitched about :)

I am glad Bono is doing less preaching on this tour though. Maybe that's why his voice is soo good hehe

NOPE - the US Leg will feature multimedia displays, speeches, and varioius forms of Bono ranting at the gross injustices, inequities and down right travesty of justice that Scooter Libby has endured.

The B-Man has to keep both sides of the aisle happy, dontcha know.

NOPE - the US Leg will feature multimedia displays, speeches, and varioius forms of Bono ranting at the gross injustices, inequities and down right travesty of justice that Scooter Libby has endured.

The B-Man has to keep both sides of the aisle happy, dontcha know.

They should dedicate a song to Bernie Madoff... perhaps Daddy's Gonna Pay or Desire?

Most Americans would know Desmond Tutu. An San Suu Kyi probably not. I'm not sure I would know who she was if it weren't for U2 bringing her plight to my attention during Elevation. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance though. It's like "Mothers of the Disappeared" brought to our attention the plight of mothers under Pinochet's rule. I wouldn't have known about this had it not been for U2, and I'm sure not many people would've realized what was going on. U2 know that their fans are going to search out the meanings to their songs, and by searching they become educated and then you inform others and so on and so on and so on.

I think U2 ought to stage a kidnap of her from house arrest. If anyone could do it, they could. Remember Sellafield? Now that would make international news!

Most Americans would know Desmond Tutu. An San Suu Kyi probably not. I'm not sure I would know who she was if it weren't for U2 bringing her plight to my attention during Elevation. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance though. It's like "Mothers of the Disappeared" brought to our attention the plight of mothers under Pinochet's rule. I wouldn't have known about this had it not been for U2, and I'm sure not many people would've realized what was going on. U2 know that their fans are going to search out the meanings to their songs, and by searching they become educated and then you inform others and so on and so on and so on.

I think U2 ought to stage a kidnap of her from house arrest. If anyone could do it, they could. Remember Sellafield? Now that would make international news!

That would be amazing, assuming they weren't caught and murdered first.

Also, I have a feeling she would have left Burma long ago had she wanted to do that.

Back
Top Bottom