Will the songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu" be played on the U.S. Leg? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Will the songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu" be played on the U.S. Leg?

just wondering, are they both more prominent and recognizable figures in Europe than they are in the United States? i played the Sheffield gig for a couple friends that i considered well educated the other night, and i must say that both of them did not know who the hell An San Su Kyi was and were vaguely familiar with Desmond Tutu.

so yeah, just wondering if you all think Bono will force both of them on us in the U.S. too.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Well, IMO, if people in the US have NO CLUE who these two are, I HOPE U2 will continue to play these segments on tour.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well, IMO, if people in the US have NO CLUE who these two are, I HOPE U2 will continue to play these segments on tour.
yeah...it could be because i'm in a rather ignorant part of the country, but people really don't know who Suu Kyi is. i could just picture it being rather ackward (more ackward than it is already) when people are getting handed masks of a person they don't know.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
How about turning the mask around and reading what's written on it?

If many people don't know who she is, it's one more reason for U2 to continue campaigning for her.

I think the political segments of this tour are rather "decent" compared to Bono's frequent Africa rants on the Vertigo tour.

With the Tutu speech coming before One he's unable to do any rants. I'm already starting to miss them, honestly. He has had some beautiful "One speeches" this tour, but now it's all about the Arch.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post

If many people don't know who she is, it's one more reason for U2 to continue campaigning for her.

I think the political segments of this tour are rather "decent" compared to Bono's frequent Africa rants on the Vertigo tour.

With the Tutu speech coming before One he's unable to do any rants. I'm already starting to miss them, honestly. He has had some beautiful "One speeches" this tour, but now it's all about the Arch.
hmm....i wonder if it's possible between now and then to convince Bono that we all know who she is. maybe then, they'll drop the An San Suu Kyi song.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:48 PM
I've never heard of the U2 songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu." What album are they on?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
The funny thing is that the people who were sitting by me in Barcelona (who were locals) also had no idea who she was.

I don't think Bono cares whether or not people who know who she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I've never heard of the U2 songs "An San Suu Kyi" and "Desmond Tutu." What album are they on?
I think they're one of the post-2000 albums.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
has a

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post

I hope they keep this up, too.

Considering most people in the U.S. can't even name the 3 branches of our government and what they do, I doubt that a Burmese political prisoner will make much of an impact. But, if even one person learns something, it's worth it.

Mark
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

They should drop changing the world for MOTHERFUCKING ROCK AND ROLL.

Seriously, though, the "stupid American" stereotype isn't as true as George Bush suggested... there are really just as many stupid Europeans as stupid Americans. I think the core setlist will remain absolutely identical to to the first leg's core setlist, at least through Vancouver.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
They should drop changing the world for MOTHERFUCKING ROCK AND ROLL.
Damn Digitize I am really your posts of late

LOL

To U2's credit I had never heard of that one lady until them
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 08:48 PM
I'm sure they'll keep it up through the states. And as earlier posts have said, I'm all about the way they're doing politics this tour, short, to the point, and less of Bono talking. Although his words in Sheffield about "her only crime is that if there were to be a general election she would win" were excellent.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycharles View Post
I'm sure they'll keep it up through the states. And as earlier posts have said, I'm all about the way they're doing politics this tour, short, to the point, and less of Bono talking. Although his words in Sheffield about "her only crime is that if there were to be a general election she would win" were excellent.
Yeah. I really liked hearing Bono speak about Aung San Suu Kyi on the Sheffield broadcast... he's spot on.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:48 PM
I just wish Walk On were a better song....

Couldn't they play Acrobat for her? Or Fez-Being Born, maybe?

Maybe the plan is that they'll end up releasing her just to make U2 stop playing Walk On?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Didn't An San Su Kyi get like 20 years? So what's the point now...they should have dropped it as soon as she got the verdict.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy WM View Post
Didn't An San Su Kyi get like 20 years? So what's the point now...they should have dropped it as soon as she got the verdict.
yeah, that's how protest songs work.